Author Topic: Employer sponsored 401k - Thoughts  (Read 3155 times)

Bigjones

• Stubble
Employer sponsored 401k - Thoughts
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:24:11 AM »
Ive started to dig further and further into my finances as I begin my journey and wanted to see everyones thoughts on where my 401k is sitting.  Keep in mind that this was started a few years ago, I had no idea about personal finance and I let our companys broker pick my elections for me.  So before you punch me in a face, keep that in mind. 

Current balance is $20,002

50% is in Modern Woodman Annuity with a lifetime guaranteed return of 4% as long as i dont move the money.  The current rate for new sign ups is 2%.

10% American Funds Growth Fund of America RGABX
20% American Funds Capital Income Bldr R2 RIRBx
20% American Funds Bond Fund of Amer R2 RBFBX

Im about 3 months from being able to really ramp up and max my 401k so if need be, id like to get my allocations set before hand.

UltraRunning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Employer sponsored 401k - Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:20:56 AM »
What are your other options in your 401k? If you could give us a full list of all the funds you have to choose from that would greatly help us lead you in the correct direction :)

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
Also, how long until you plan to retire?  When you expect to leave the workforce makes a big difference on the amount of risk you can take.

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:57:33 AM »
50% is in Modern Woodman Annuity

My first and only knowledge of the Modern Woodmen of America comes from a visit I made last year to 'The Painted Forest', a mural-covered old meeting hall of theirs hidden in a really small town in rural Wisconsin. There I learned that they were pretty much a crazy-ass cult with rituals involving goat-riding and death-masks and wild wizard dudes.

On this basis alone, I would invest 100% of my money with them.

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:12:07 AM »

My first and only knowledge of the Modern Woodmen of America comes from a visit I made last year to 'The Painted Forest', a mural-covered old meeting hall of theirs hidden in a really small town in rural Wisconsin. There I learned that they were pretty much a crazy-ass cult with rituals involving goat-riding and death-masks and wild wizard dudes.

+1 to that.

Bigjones

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 12:06:35 PM »
Im actually very scared now!

svi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 03:09:17 PM »

time is a flat stock market.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!