Author Topic: Electric toothbrushes?  (Read 17768 times)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Electric toothbrushes?
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:25:57 PM »
Can anyone recommend me an electric toothbrush that isn't ridiculously priced but also works well (wont break in two months, has timer, reasonably priced replacement heads)? My dentist has consistently suggested that I get one and I just find them really expensive...I've bought two low cost ones (>$10) and both broke almost immediately. So it seems I need to go up in price range but not sure how much...there is a wide price range.

Any recommendations?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Electric toothbrushes?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 08:41:22 PM »
I have a Philips SoniCare that my roommates gave me (they had an extra). It's worked great for me - I buy 3rd party heads on Amazon; a 4-pack is $14.95.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »
I've had the same Philips Sonicare E Series for over 15 years and it still works. Assuming they make them with similar quality, I highly recommend it.

Oh, and for the heads, I've found the best prices to be either Amazon subscribe and save (15% off) or, more often, Costco multi-packs.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:21:02 PM »
Ditto the above two! Those things are built to last. Awesome, and they cut down on the frequency and time of dental cleaning needed, so you do save the money pretty quickly.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 10:24:18 PM »
+1 Sonicare e-series. 

I bought an open box/used one on ebay for under $20.  Sounds crazy until you realize it's hermetically sealed and you can alcohol down the base of the thing and buy brand new heads for $10-15 for 4 generics.  The used one has a very strong battery (compared to my wife's e-series that's much older and only lasts 1-2 brushings before needing a recharge). 

I can feel the difference in cleanliness versus traditional brushing. Teeth literally squeaky clean after a routine 2-3 minute brush w/ the e-series.

csprof

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 11:10:23 PM »
Have had an oral-b for years now.  I did break one by dropping it several times (pro tip:  don't leave the charger precariously balanced on a very narrow windowsil).  But the replacement has been going strong for 5+ years and shows no signs of slowing down.  Very happy.

The part that can really get you is the replacement heads.  Costco sells them in 8 packs for $5/head.  You can amazon subscribe & save them for about $5.37/head (or less if you get the 15% discount -- cheaper than costco in that case).

But there are two different generic replacements on Amazon - the "generic" labeled ones, and the SoniShare generics, for both oral-b and sonicare bases.  Has anyone tried those and have a report?  Quite a bit cheaper.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 02:04:59 AM »
Also use the oral B one. Can vouch for a clean mouth and decent teeth. Haven't had a cavity for 18 years.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 02:54:30 AM »
Sonicare purchased on sale at Target's website (using a red card, so I got an additional 5% off, and free shipping and can return to the store if I have an issue). I buy the brushes from Amazon (generics for like 4 for $12). On my second base (share it with the husband so it gets used 4+ times a day) and the last one lasted around 8 years? Great checkups since using it, so I think it was a good buy.

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 04:59:24 AM »
I use 3rd party Oral-B replacement heads from Amazon and I think they work well. They do not last as long as original Oral-B heads, but for the cost it's hard to complain. I believe they are just as effective at cleaning teeth.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 06:10:28 AM »
Sonicare 2 pack at Costco.  It ain't cheap, but a lot cheaper and less painful than having cavities filled.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 06:19:07 AM »
I have an Oral B one, not expensive version, about $25 (Aus). Lasted over 2 years so far, no sign of letting up.
The Oral B heads seem to last a little better, but I can buy packs of heads far cheaper online from Kogan (kinda like an Aussie Amazon I guess with a lot of their own branded stuff). The 8 pack I bought were $15.

I could probably save a smidge by using a non-electric toothbrush. But I think its important to look after your teeth well. Studies suggest if you are diligent and take the time that you can do just as well manually, but, I find I do a better job with the electric (esp if I'm pressed for time), so for me, electric it is. I take a manual brush camping/hiking.

I manually floss at the moment, have been solidly for about 4 years now (took a long time to develop the positive habit). When my current large spool of floss runs out, I'm going to invest in a water flosser. I struggle to get to my molars, and water flossers do a better job.

If this electric expense saves on some dental work at least once then it will pay for itself. Keeping your teeth pristine helps with your life expectancy too. Well worth it :-)

ChairmanKaga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 08:53:08 AM »
Just adding that my cousin, who's a dentist, is starting to see premature wear along the gumlines of people who use their Sonicare brushes twice or more a day. He's recommending just using it once and sticking with a plain old Oral B brush for any other times. That said, he sees a MAJOR improvement in the mouths of folks who regularly use one. In terms of a health care expense, seems to be worth it. Get Sonicare brush heads at Costco. They put them on sale at least a few times a year.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 09:00:08 AM »
Just adding that my cousin, who's a dentist, is starting to see premature wear along the gumlines of people who use their Sonicare brushes twice or more a day. He's recommending just using it once and sticking with a plain old Oral B brush for any other times.

Thanks for this!  I started brushing w/ a sonicare about 6 months ago, and I'll make sure one of my cleanings each day is oldschool.

I use a sonicare 2 series w/ generic heads.  That said, I've read good things about Oral B's Pro-1000.  I think they cost about the same.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-electric-toothbrush/

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 10:35:54 AM »
After going through two sets of the more expensive rechargable Oral B/ Braun toothbrushes (non-replaceable rechargable batteries eventually fail), I switched to the cheap AA battery version.  They work equally well, and last several years before dying -- what usually seems to kill them is the plastic battery compartment cover cracks, which lets water enter, which corrodes the batteries & terminals. 

Overall, for the price, I'm satisfied with them.  I use this kind:

https://www.amazon.com/Oral-B-Pro-Health-Precision-Battery-Toothbrush/dp/B002HWS9FW/ref=sr_1_8_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1470241985&sr=8-8&keywords=braun+oral+b+electric+toothbrush

Occasionally, Amazon puts them on sale on a "subscribe and save" plan.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »
Costco will sell you a pair of the Oral B brushes + a few heads + chargers for about $50-$60

We got these 2 years ago and have been pleased.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »
I don't know I cannot justify the cost of using an electric toothbrush. I buy regular Colgate 360 bulk pack from CostCo. I get 8 brushes for about $5 or so. I replace my brush every  5 weeks or so. Never had any issue with cavities or plaque. I guess it's all got to do with the correct brushing technique. Not bragging but my dentist even asked me why I am seeing her when my teeth are perfectly fine. One thing I realized is that I don't eat any "added" sugar products and I rinse my mouth with water as soon as I finish eating or drinking anything and floss after breakfast everyday.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 11:31:54 AM »
I guess it's all got to do with the correct brushing technique. Not bragging but my dentist even asked me why I am seeing her when my teeth are perfectly fine.

I am someone with excellent brushing technique and I still had problems with my teeth.  An electric toothbrush has given me much better outcomes than my previous "excellent technique" manual brushing did. 

You sir, are merely lucky to have inherited good strong teeth.  Not everyone is so lucky.  For people like me, manual brushing with excellent technique is not enough.  Its also the reason I use a water pick instead of plain floss. 

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 11:38:32 AM »
Another vote for the Sonicare.  I've had mine for about ten years and I love it.  Mr. Mandalay has an Oral B and loves it too, so either one seems to do the job.  I do use a regular toothbrush at work after lunch, though.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 11:46:02 AM »
I've been using Oral B for years now.  The battery died on the first one after a few years (don't remember how many exactly but definitely more than 5).  The current one I have is at least 5 years old now and still going strong.  I get the replacement heads at Costco - they have them on sale from time to time. 

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 12:21:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for replies. I will look for a Sonicare. I think my dentist sells the Sonicare so I assumed it was really expensive! I will look online to see what I find (thanks for ebay tip RootofGood).

I'm not a Costco member but maybe I need to go with a friend to buy toothbrush heads occasionally too.

One of the cheap ones that broke almost immediately was the Oral B one you suggested Clean Shaven, maybe you are having better luck than me because I seriously did not even get to the point that I needed a new head and it totally died. Seemed like a lot of plastic and expense for how long it lasted.

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 01:00:35 PM »
But there are two different generic replacements on Amazon - the "generic" labeled ones, and the SoniShare generics, for both oral-b and sonicare bases.  Has anyone tried those and have a report?  Quite a bit cheaper.

I purchased these replacement heads from amazon for my oral b: https://www.amazon.com/gp/your-account/order-history?ie=UTF8&ref_=ya_orders_ap&

Upon inspection, I can see a difference in the bristles between the generic and oral b heads, but I cannot tell any difference in the way it cleans my teeth or in durability / life.  At $15/20pack, they are definitely worth trying over the name brand.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 02:13:02 PM »
My Phillips SoniCare has died, but my dentist was really happy with how well it cleaned my teeth.  Instead of buying a new one, I now use an Oral-B drugstore battery-operated toothbrush and a travel clock.  I brush 30 seconds minimum each quadrant, or longer if I feel an area needs it.  I actually prefer this, no 30 second buzz to tell me to switch areas.  My dentist is not seeing any difference in my dental hygiene.

The important thing is 2 minutes minimum with an electric toothbrush or 5 minutes minimum with a regular toothbrush.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 03:13:32 PM »
Anyone have an Amazon link and can vouch for good quality offbrand replacement brushheads for the Sonicare.

I've seen a couple of you mention 4 packs for $15.

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 04:10:18 PM »
Definitely Sonicare.  I had an old one that died, I was glad it died because it had the old head which would get moldy quick.  Then I got a new one ($30 only or cheaper, look for deals) with the new style head.  It's much better, and then it died, but because it was still days before warranty expired, they sent me a replacement.  Love my Sonicare.  While you're at it, get a WaterPik water flosser too, it makes a big difference!

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:59 PM »
Just adding that my cousin, who's a dentist, is starting to see premature wear along the gumlines of people who use their Sonicare brushes twice or more a day. He's recommending just using it once and sticking with a plain old Oral B brush for any other times. That said, he sees a MAJOR improvement in the mouths of folks who regularly use one. In terms of a health care expense, seems to be worth it. Get Sonicare brush heads at Costco. They put them on sale at least a few times a year.

The reason for this is the sonic waves kill bacteria.  This is why I haven't needed to floss in the past 20 years, and still have zero plaque.  Gums are tight against the teeth, too.  (I inherited horrible teeth and gums from my mom who lost all her teeth by age 70.)

Best investment I ever made, and the replacement heads don't cost $15 apiece anymore!

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 08:38:44 AM »
We also have Sonicare brushes and love them. There are lots of options available on Amazon, and I doubt it matters much which model you get. http://amzn.to/2aAmeW7

1. Make sure any replacement heads you get are for the model you have. It's easy to make a mistake and buy heads that don't fit.
2. Pay attention to the low battery beep and flashing light on the toothbrush and recharge right away. Once the battery is totally drained it won't recharge and you'll have to get a new one.
3. Some kits have a UV sanitizer, travel containers, and a small travel charger. If you'll use them, great, get the deluxe kit. We've had ours for years and haven't used any of it. We just use drugstore brushes when we travel because the Sonicares are heavy and bulky.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2016, 08:59:17 AM »
We also have Sonicare brushes and love them. There are lots of options available on Amazon, and I doubt it matters much which model you get. http://amzn.to/2aAmeW7

1. Make sure any replacement heads you get are for the model you have. It's easy to make a mistake and buy heads that don't fit.
2. Pay attention to the low battery beep and flashing light on the toothbrush and recharge right away. Once the battery is totally drained it won't recharge and you'll have to get a new one.
3. Some kits have a UV sanitizer, travel containers, and a small travel charger. If you'll use them, great, get the deluxe kit. We've had ours for years and haven't used any of it. We just use drugstore brushes when we travel because the Sonicares are heavy and bulky.

Yes - for the most part, the difference in price for what otherwise looks like the same model is due to bells and whistles they've added over the years, which have no effect on cleaning ability.  In other words - the $30 model cleans as well as the $80 model.  I've always used e-series.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2016, 09:43:37 AM »
I have perfect strong teeth (said by dentists that call me an abnormality).

However i am new in the bandwagon of electric. I just recently started having the flossing habit and my last visit to the dentist even though I had brushed my teeth regularly and always was an avid brusher, it seems brushing hard is bad for you - i also had some plaque on the hard and hidden spots

I just got an electric toothbrush after recomendation from dentist, an oral B, with pressure sensor, and I have never felt my teeth so clean! Theres almost no need to pressure the brush against your teeth it just cleans it its amazing... Im a new fan, especially if i dont have to pressure the brush against my teeth as i used to. Bad for your gums!

Now everytime i brush (twice per day) it just feels i came from the dentish. They feel smooth and clean!

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 05:54:38 AM »
So, I found the Sonicare at walmart.com for $25 and ordered it (on most other sites it was ~40). I used it the first time this morning and I must say it is an intense brushing experience, wow. I will have to get used to that but my teeth did feel super clean afterwards, much more so than the other electric brushes I have tried.

Thanks everyone!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 07:02:15 AM »
So, I found the Sonicare at walmart.com for $25 and ordered it (on most other sites it was ~40). I used it the first time this morning and I must say it is an intense brushing experience, wow. I will have to get used to that but my teeth did feel super clean afterwards, much more so than the other electric brushes I have tried.

Thanks everyone!
You will get used to the feeling. Also don't push too hard, let the brush do the work for you.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »
I had a Sonicare Healthy White for several years until it recently broke from me not taking care of it (basically I never cleaned the crud from beneath the brush head for a long time and it built up and cracked the gasket that holds the peg). Best thing that ever happened to my dental health. I just replaced it by buying a used one on Ebay for $20, but originally it cost me $70 at Costco (was in a 2-pack for $140 and was on sale, I split the pack with BF). I also just ordered some new heads for the cheapest I've ever gotten them on Ebay, $14 for a 6 pk.

Word to the wise, don't ever buy the fake brush heads, they don't work! I got some non-sonicare heads that were supposed to be compatible and they would not stay on the peg.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »
I had a Sonicare Healthy White for several years until it recently broke from me not taking care of it (basically I never cleaned the crud from beneath the brush head for a long time and it built up and cracked the gasket that holds the peg). Best thing that ever happened to my dental health. I just replaced it by buying a used one on Ebay for $20, but originally it cost me $70 at Costco (was in a 2-pack for $140 and was on sale, I split the pack with BF). I also just ordered some new heads for the cheapest I've ever gotten them on Ebay, $14 for a 6 pk.

Word to the wise, don't ever buy the fake brush heads, they don't work! I got some non-sonicare heads that were supposed to be compatible and they would not stay on the peg.

Up until last year, my experience over the last 20 years is that only Sonicare replacement brush heads are worth a flip.  This has now changed.  I found Sonimart brand replacement heads for about $4 or $5 each on Amazon.  Excellent quality.

As for Sonicare brand replacement heads 6 for $14 on ebay, I'd be very wary.  I'd be interested to hear how they work.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2016, 04:03:17 PM »

I know, I was wary too, but the picture showed actual Sonicare brush heads in two 3-packs, just the way they are at the store. Maybe somebody got them at a garage sale or something.

Up until last year, my experience over the last 20 years is that only Sonicare replacement brush heads are worth a flip.  This has now changed.  I found Sonimart brand replacement heads for about $4 or $5 each on Amazon.  Excellent quality.

As for Sonicare brand replacement heads 6 for $14 on ebay, I'd be very wary.  I'd be interested to hear how they work.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2016, 09:40:29 PM »
I also just ordered some new heads for the cheapest I've ever gotten them on Ebay, $14 for a 6 pk.

Caveat emptor.  I bought some "genuine" Sonicare e-series heads on ebay and they turned out to be very convincing fakes.  I contacted Philips Sonicare and they didn't really care.  I told the seller he was selling fakes and got an instant refund, no questions asked. 

These "genuine" ones had the genuine packaging, except it was a color scan and print job for the paper insert (very close to the original, but some printing artifacts on some parts of the printing).  The brush heads were noisier than the real genuine heads, and you could tell from the details that they manufacturing wasn't as precise (some overglue on the magnet; uneven length bristles; "e series" label printed on the brush head was a little sloppy). 

I'll be trying the Sonimart (or something like that) generics from Amazon next time around.  One particular brand of generics seems to get really good ratings and they are priced between the cheapo generics and the real actual genuine name brand heads.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »
I also just ordered some new heads for the cheapest I've ever gotten them on Ebay, $14 for a 6 pk.

Caveat emptor.  I bought some "genuine" Sonicare e-series heads on ebay and they turned out to be very convincing fakes.  I contacted Philips Sonicare and they didn't really care.  I told the seller he was selling fakes and got an instant refund, no questions asked. 

These "genuine" ones had the genuine packaging, except it was a color scan and print job for the paper insert (very close to the original, but some printing artifacts on some parts of the printing).  The brush heads were noisier than the real genuine heads, and you could tell from the details that they manufacturing wasn't as precise (some overglue on the magnet; uneven length bristles; "e series" label printed on the brush head was a little sloppy). 

I'll be trying the Sonimart (or something like that) generics from Amazon next time around.  One particular brand of generics seems to get really good ratings and they are priced between the cheapo generics and the real actual genuine name brand heads.

The Sonicare heads I bought so cheaply turned out to be just what the seller showed, real Sonicare heads! I'm so happy, I'm set for the year and then some!

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2016, 04:41:21 PM »

The Sonicare heads I bought so cheaply turned out to be just what the seller showed, real Sonicare heads! I'm so happy, I'm set for the year and then some!

Well, you totally lucked out!  My advice now would be don't hold your breath waiting for another deal like that, LOL.

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 04:57:17 PM »
Perhaps a little late, but I bought a set (2 brushes plus travel cases plus 3 heads for each plus stickers) of "children" Sonicare brushes on prime day for 50 USD.
I already had brushes for me and my wife and now I got one for my kid, the other one I gave to one of my nephews...
And although they are sold as children brushes they are really normal brushes.
This is the set:
https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-Sonicare-Hx6315-Rechargeable-Toothbrush/dp/B01FVXVRT8/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1472597851&sr=8-5&keywords=sonicare+child

So keep your eyes open :).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »
On my dental hygienists recommendation, I purchased a Sonicare Diamond Clean at Bed, Bath & Beyond. It's fine while it lasts, but I've yet to have one outlive the warranty. Fortunately,  BB&B, exchanges them pretty easily. My current one only works in "manual" mode. (Ha!) I'll be heading to BB&B later this week, so I'll report back.
Next, I buy replacements when they're on sale at Costco. I have purchased knockoffs at Target and online.  Both were louder and noticeably differennt.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 05:14:33 AM »
My current Philips Sonicare died after 18 months. Are the Oral B ones any better/long lived?

Enough

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 07:21:16 AM »
My current Philips Sonicare died after 18 months. Are the Oral B ones any better/long lived?

I usually use Oral B brushes for ~2 years before upgrading.  Its not that they completely die, but they get noticeably slower / less powerfull.  It may have been an issue with older NiCd battery technology - hoping the new one lasts longer.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:22:49 PM by Enough »

TreesBikesLove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »
Philips Sonicare are only $20 on Amazon (and at Fred Meyer locally):
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Sonicare-Electric-Rechargeable-Toothbrush/dp/B00QZ67ODE/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490630396&sr=8-3&keywords=philips+sonicare

+1 for Philips Sonicare. I've used hand-me-down Sonicare toothbrushes from my parents for 7 or 8 years. When my most recent Sonicare wouldn't hold a charge, I lamented the cost of replacing it. However, browsing on Amazon shows that a brand new brush is only $20! Great deal. The price probably won't last forever since I see they have multiple new models and are most likely selling at a low price to burn down inventory.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »
I got a Sonicare last summer and haven't looked back. It makes such a big difference. They're only $20 and I got a 12 pack of replacement heads for $20. They only need to be replaced every once in a while or if you get sick.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 02:12:58 PM »
This thread has converted me to electronic toothbrushes (just ordered off amazon). I have impeccable dental hygiene (brush, floss, mouthwash) but suffer from sweet toothonitis and I guess they have contributed to my cavities which surprisingly I've had for years yet they don't seem to be getting deeper. Going to get them filled though.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »
Sonicare 2 pack at Costco.  It ain't cheap, but a lot cheaper and less painful than having cavities filled.

This ! It was I think 120 bucks or something to that extend when I got mine for me and the fiancé last year. So far so good. No more cavities and bleeding gums anymore = makes me a happy camper !

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »
I got a Sonicare last summer and haven't looked back. It makes such a big difference. They're only $20 and I got a 12 pack of replacement heads for $20. They only need to be replaced every once in a while or if you get sick.

Interesting. I just leave mine by the window for some UV therapy when I get sick.

What does everyone else do?

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »
Can anyone recommend me an electric toothbrush that isn't ridiculously priced but also works well (wont break in two months, has timer, reasonably priced replacement heads)? My dentist has consistently suggested that I get one and I just find them really expensive...I've bought two low cost ones (>$10) and both broke almost immediately. So it seems I need to go up in price range but not sure how much...there is a wide price range.

Any recommendations?

Phillips sonicare; dont' get the extra bells and whistles such as 'massage mode' or the UV sterilizer; I bought these pre-MMM and they were completely unnecessary and add no value.

You can knock-off brand replacement heads online (amazon) for much cheaper.  Some get decent reviews.... the ones I have currently last much longer than the name-brand... I am not certain whether or not they work as well, it is hard to tell.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2017, 11:03:49 AM »
Oral-B 3D. $5-6.
Single AA batt. The toothbrush lasts a couple years. Recommended!

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »
Dentist here:
Don’t bother with low level or mid level electric tooth brushes, they may feel the same to you, but the motion the bristles make is useless. You are better off sticking with a manual brush than throwing your money away on cheap electric tooth brushes.

Good electric toothbrushes like sonicare are worth their weight in gold. I push them HARD in my practice even though I don’t make a cent off of them. I sell both Sonicare and the top of the line Oral B, which keeps changing names.

I'm also a dentist and am curious what research you've seen to lead you to push Sonicare?  I swear by Oral B due to the research that I've read on oscillation as well as personal experience and have seen no evidence to suggest that a $150 electric toothbrush is a superior cleaning product to a $40 one.  I have read research to suggest Sonicare is superior to manual brushing, also.  From my experience, If you don't want to brush for 10 minutes twice per day, use a quality electric brush with an oscillating head.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2017, 10:30:45 AM »
What made a difference for me was the timing feature in my electronic toothbrush, I actually brushed each surface for a full 30 seconds.  I realized that I had not been brushing as much when I brushed manually. My dental hygienist moved me from 6 month visits to 9 month visits.  When that toothbrush died, I switched to the electric toothbrushes and a timer, so I still did my adequate brushing.  I'm still on nine month visits. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
AliExpress, the toothbrush heads are about 50c delivered. Won't be branded, but you're buying from the manufacturers. Exactly the same product.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!