Author Topic: Dumb Costco question  (Read 6130 times)

SailAway

• Stubble
Dumb Costco question
« on: January 01, 2015, 05:52:08 PM »
Ok so last year we upgraded from the regular to the executive membership. It felt like we were spending a fortune there and when they would check us out they said it would be beneficial. So we did and then we bought tires there, so I thought for sure that would put our 2% spending above the $55 difference in membership fees.

Rebate check came, it's $44. But there's no statement or anything. Ok, so I know if I go to the customer service desk they will refund the difference and drop us down to the regular gold star membership.

I'll drop by there and inquire but have been avoiding it because holidays = insanity at Costco. Has anyone un-pgraded their membership and is there a way to check if your rebate was accurate? Also, I bought YNAB yesterday so this year I'll know how much I actually spend at Costco. My bad.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Dumb Costco question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 06:05:22 PM »
We had the same issue this year, and unfortunately there's no easy way to check your progress throughout the year. I discussed this with a customer representative when I went to get my refund, and she said that they are going to change their interface in the next few years to make it easier. It's frustrating, I agree. In some respects, it would be better if they just gave the percentage discount upfront on eligible items. This is what Target does with the Redcard. Then, if you didn't reach your extra executive membership fee, they could just mail you a check in the mail for the difference.

Edited to add that I love Costco so much I've never thought to downgrade my membership now that I have the executive one, especially since they refund the cost back. Who knows if the next year we will buy a large ticket item that will push us over the membership amount?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:07:35 PM by justajane »

SailAway

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »
We had the same issue this year, and unfortunately there's no easy way to check your progress throughout the year. I discussed this with a customer representative when I went to get my refund, and she said that they are going to change their interface in the next few years to make it easier. It's frustrating, I agree.
Thanks, I thought I was crazy. My husband opened the letter and I was like "where's the statement" and he was like, "it's just a check". And I was like "whoa.". Cuz I've had four beers now and apparently I'm 16 and in Mean Girls. That webinar for YNAB should be AWESOME tonight.

SailAway

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »
Edited to add that I love Costco so much I've never thought to downgrade my membership now that I have the executive one, especially since they refund the cost back. Who knows if the next year we will buy a large ticket item that will push us over the membership amount?
Oh, I thought they would automatically downgrade you if they refunded the difference. No? They really are awesome!

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 06:55:04 PM »
Oh, I thought they would automatically downgrade you if they refunded the difference. No? They really are awesome!

Well, you have to pay the executive membership fee again for the next year. They're not that nice :).

SailAway

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »

Well, you have to pay the executive membership fee again for the next year. They're not that nice :).
Of course, that makes sense. :)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 05:31:12 AM »
I'm about to downgrade my membership as well. When we had the fixer-upper and bought out the bamboo flooring from every store north of Philadelphia, it was worth it. Now that we've moved further away and they haven't built the planned one near us, our rebate was only $38.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
I just down graded mine.  My rebate check was only 22 bucks, though it still burns a small hole in my pocket.  I figured if I was going to make another major purchase I would upgrade again.  I never knew they would refund the difference in your membership fee, though. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
I stepped down to regular. We do NOT find the executive to be worthwhile. They refunded the difference between our rebate check and what we paid for the executive the one time we tried it. We use our Costco AmEx, so we know exactly what we spend there.