Author Topic: Don't know if I can stay until the end of my notice.  (Read 13324 times)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Don't know if I can stay until the end of my notice.
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2018, 03:25:47 PM »
OP, I'm a pet owner. The pic is Sibley. She'll be 19 this summer. Isn't she cute? Point is, I've got 19 years of vet clinic experience.

Here's my ideal wish list in a vet clinic, in no particular order:
1. Convenient hours. Please, close a day during the week and be open on Saturday or something if you need to.
2. Good vets who care about the animals
3. Good staff who care about the animals
4. Good admin who care about the animals
5. Reasonable distance from my home
6. Reasonable prices (ie, fair, not overpriced, not underpriced)

Implicit in 2-4 is the expectation that these are decent people who treat each other, and clients, with compassion and competence. Your clinic isn't doing that.

I HAVE been rescheduled, sometimes on very short notice, because a clinic was massively too busy. I HAVE sat in the waiting room while they treated a critical animal who came in with little to no notice. I HAVE called the vet and said I'm bringing the cat in NOW because of ______. And they've taken said cat and treated her promptly, because she needed to be treated urgently. (Notice the element of triage. Sometimes, someone is sicker and they get bumped to the top)

In each of the 3 vet clinics that I've been at long term, they met all these things. They were clearly decent people who loved animals, got along decently, and did their best. Was everything perfect? I'm sure not. But it was decent.

I hope this helps reset your normal meter. Good luck finding such a vet clinic to practice at.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »
As a clinician I understand the pain you associate with "abandoning" your position. People who are advocating for 2 weeks being sufficient are missing out on the potential for harm that comes with leaving too few clinicians to take care of too many problems. There's also the logistical hassle of finding a licensed person in your state who could even take over. Licensure can take months in a new state.

I think in good faith you should try to stick out your time under your conditions. write a list of demands (X number of clients in a set period of the day) and leave it for your employer to terminate you if they do not agree to abide by it. That way your boss can prioritize whether they really need you or not. If they truly need you they will accommodate your schedule. If they let you go, you can rest easy knowing they weren't going to be that short staffed without you. I am also not sure why a receptionist / manager has the authority over you to set these unlivable standards.

Some people have given really great advice.  You will set the tone of how you are treated in your next job and this just may be the perfect time to practice flexing your "don't take no shit" muscles

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »

I think in good faith you should try to stick out your time under your conditions. write a list of demands (X number of clients in a set period of the day) and leave it for your employer to terminate you if they do not agree to abide by it. That way your boss can prioritize whether they really need you or not. If they truly need you they will accommodate your schedule. If they let you go, you can rest easy knowing they weren't going to be that short staffed without you. I am also not sure why a receptionist / manager has the authority over you to set these unlivable standards.

While I completely understand what you're saying in theory, I don't understand it logistically. I have zero control over the schedule - the receptionists schedule appointments based on what the office manager tells them. I told her we had too many Saturday appointments and that it was necessary to have the receptionists reschedule some, but she blatantly refused and told me I was being ridiculous.

So I've essentially already given her my requirements and she ignored them. There's no way for me to force the issue and get fired, unless I personally call to cancel appointments?

I really thought they'd fire me today but no such luck.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
She is ignoring them because you are letting her. There is no consequence to her for ignoring you because she believes you'll be too non confrontational to walk out/not see patients/too bound by ethics.

You can either call her on her bullshit or let her walk over you for the next month. It's awkward. I hate confrontation. But she is being a bully. If you tell her to book X patients, and she does y, those unseen patients (while unfortunate for them) are not your responsibility. They are not your fault.

Either you feel awful for the next month, or you feel awful during one last confrontation with her. Tell her to fix all of your days appts to a set maximum (as of tomorrow) or you walk out. No wiggle room. At least the second confrontation will be quicker? If she chooses not to do that, walk away with a clear conscience.

Phoenix_Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2018, 05:46:56 PM »
They have no reason to fire you.  They are short staffed and you are still doing the work. They don’t have the option to fire you either since they can’t easily replace you. You haven’t walked out on them yet, so they can schedule as many appointments as they want.  The only way they might do less is if you tell them you are walking out now and then they bargain with you to stay until your last day with only X amount of appointments that you agree to.

Since you’ve already given notice there is no reason other than you walking out now for them to accommodate you.

I’m not a lawyer, but based on what you have said about your contract, I would just walk. I wouldn’t even feel the need to consult a lawyer. The “should” piece basically tells you that they prefer it but not required. And at will works both ways I believe.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2018, 06:20:33 PM »
The clinic I go to schedules some appointments with a vet tech, the dr is never required.
For example, I had a dog last week that needed a Rabies shot. She has been seen by a vet in the last year, so law allows that the Rabies vacc can be given by a tech. This is Ohio. That could have been done in 10 minutes, some appointments can't.

Does this clinic/state allow that? I know it has cut down on wait times for my dogs.
I have a friend who is a vet, about 300 miles away but still Ohio, that said any meds she prescribes have to be for an animal that she has seen within the last year.

Sorry, I'm thinking of the clients. If the place is that busy, they need to make some changes, and spend the money required to do so.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2018, 06:46:05 PM »
The clinic I go to schedules some appointments with a vet tech, the dr is never required.
For example, I had a dog last week that needed a Rabies shot. She has been seen by a vet in the last year, so law allows that the Rabies vacc can be given by a tech. This is Ohio. That could have been done in 10 minutes, some appointments can't.

Does this clinic/state allow that? I know it has cut down on wait times for my dogs.
I have a friend who is a vet, about 300 miles away but still Ohio, that said any meds she prescribes have to be for an animal that she has seen within the last year.

Sorry, I'm thinking of the clients. If the place is that busy, they need to make some changes, and spend the money required to do so.

My state only allows rabies vaccines to be given by licensed/registered vet techs. My clinic doesn't employ any registered techs - all of ours are unlicensed vet assistants. Therefore, even 'just a rabies' has to be done by a doctor.

I've tried to change the workflow on those, having techs bring them back to treatment so the vet doesn't get ambushed in the room with tons of questions about other pets, requests for additional services "while I'm here," etc... but I've been met with a LOT of resistance on that and so we don't do it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2018, 07:45:13 PM »
You clearly work in a hostile environment. If they won't even bring a dog back for a 30 second shot, they have zero concern for your time and over time. You have to either leave or stop letting them walk all over you.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2018, 07:59:11 PM »
You clearly work in a hostile environment. If they won't even bring a dog back for a 30 second shot, they have zero concern for your time and over time. You have to either leave or stop letting them walk all over you.

The resistance isn't from the techs... they actually like the idea, since it would help keep things moving more efficiently! The resistance comes from the manager, who feels that getting in the room with the doctor is what the clients expect. I'm sorry.... for $14, I don't really care what you expect. If you want face time with the doctor, you can pay for an exam. But I'm just unreasonable. Sigh.

Gizsuat2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »
It sounds like you want to fulfill the terms of your contract (i.e., stay for 60 days) but you have decided that you cannot under the current conditions.

I think the other comments about leaving at the end of your shift, regardless of how many people and pets remain in the waiting room, is understandable but missing the point.  You don't want to leave people sitting out there waiting to be seen.  That's not going to do anything for your already suffering mental health.

It also seems that you told the manager there were too many patients scheduled, and that you took this as putting down your foot, which foot then went ignored.  I suspect, based on your wording, that you phrased this as a request.  I'd suggest you use this as an opportunity to recover some of the quality of mental health you've lost in this hole, and practice being assertive AND having a clear conscience, by telling the manager that (1) the situation is unhealthy for you and that (2) if she does not cancel X appointments to arrive at Y total appointments for your remaining shifts that (3) you will walk out.  Confrontation is hard, but in this sense you can dispense with the anger and frustration and just state it as fact.  If she wants to argue, you ignore this, because you owe her no explanations.

One caveat ... I agree with some of the others: See a lawyer before you do anything.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2018, 12:52:07 AM »
You are sick. Work is making you sick. Call in sick. Chest pain is not a normal thing.

Regardless of any norms, they can't make you work when it is making you sick.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2018, 01:35:32 AM »
I don't get it. You don't want to leave at the end of your scheduled shift because you "can't" leave unattended waiting patients... but you'd leave 1 month early and presumably cause even more cancelled appointments? (since you said they're short on staff)

Is it just because you don't want to see the pain you've caused, i.e. by not being there it's not your fault? Guess what, it's not your fault either way, so find a way to communicate available schedule based on estimated time to completion and stick to it. Talk with the assistant directly and fuck the manager.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2018, 04:50:59 AM »
I don't get it. You don't want to leave at the end of your scheduled shift because you "can't" leave unattended waiting patients... but you'd leave 1 month early and presumably cause even more cancelled appointments? (since you said they're short on staff)

Is it just because you don't want to see the pain you've caused, i.e. by not being there it's not your fault? Guess what, it's not your fault either way, so find a way to communicate available schedule based on estimated time to completion and stick to it. Talk with the assistant directly and fuck the manager.

If I leave, they won't cancel any appointments... the other 2 doctors will just have to absorb the remaining load. I hate doing that to the other docs, but that's basically what is going to happen at the end of my notice anyway so it's just accelerating that change. They won't cancel appointments.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2018, 05:27:12 AM »
@startingsmall , Although you don't seem to realize it, you're in an enviable position of power in the situation you describe. The clinic NEEDS you. You don't need the clinic, as you've already got another job lined up. There's absolutely no reason you should feel guilty. at. all. about clearly spelling out to the management of the clinic exactly what you are and are not willing to do for the next month. Tell your manager, "I know you are short staffed, and I don't want to leave you and my co-workers even more short staffed, so I am willing to do X for the next month," and explain exactly the conditions under which you feel you would be able to continue working for another month. If your manager really needs your help, she will agree to your reasonable offer. If she laughs at your proposal or calls it "ridiculous," again, just say thank you, grab your stuff and walk out with a smile on your face.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2018, 06:02:11 AM »
Call in sick. When your boss asks about it the next day you're in, explain that the thought of trying to see twice as many animals as would be reasonable made you so stressed out that you felt like you were having a heart scare. Advise her at the same time that in order to protect your own health, you will not be in for any shift in which you are rostered for more than a reasonable number of appointments. If she assigns even one more than is reasonable, call in sick. The health of the animals is not your responsibility until they are in with you; if the clinic is not properly set up to deal with the number of animals coming in without overloading staff, then that's the clinic manager's responsibility.

What this person thinks of you is no longer of concern to you. It doesn't matter what her opinion of you is: you are leaving, and your primary responsibility is to yourself. Set absolute boundaries, and demonstrate a willingness to walk away the moment those boundaries are crossed. If they're going to demand that you work two months' notice, then they have to accept that those two months will be done on your terms rather than theirs.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2018, 07:00:11 AM »
I think what you came here for is the push to just go ahead and quit, so that's what I'm going to give you. I'm sure the only thing holding you back is the pointless feeling of "connection" and "commitment" you feel you owe these people you work with. Well, you don't. Two months is unreasonable. Think about it, it's completely their fault for not having enough staff members to more evenly distribute the workload. They just don't want to do that because it's more expensive. Boo-hoo.

You have presumably some FU money and you definitely have another job lined up. I would've walked yesterday. Your health isn't worth this bullshit. Don't bother calling in sick and skirting the issue*. That's just delaying the inevitable. If they were capable of making a better work environment then you wouldn't be leaving in the first place. You think there's something to lose by walking now but there isn't. Prove yourself wrong.

*Instead (if it will make you feel less guilty) - walk in, clearly dictate your conditions for fulfilling your notice and then gather a response. If the response is satisfactory, stay; if not, leave. Simple. Again, they need you. You do not need them.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2018, 08:44:45 AM »
First of all, I want to send a huge THANK YOU to everyone for your replies on this. I know I haven't responded individually to everyone, but I've read each reply (multiple times!) and they have been a huge help. Many people seemed to pick up on the theme that I tend to be a bit submissive and subjective to bullies, and that's definitely true. I tend to take it and take it until I can't anymore... and then I sometimes hit my boiling point and it probably looks irrational. Definitely need to work on being more consistently assertive and less submissive. Looks like that will be my next self-improvement project!

Second, here I am at work, on the much-anticipated crappy day.... and I've had 5 appointments no-show. And only one walk-in. That NEVER happens. So now it's a completely easy day and I've been surfing the MMM forums for the last 20 minutes, making my little hissy fit look just as ridiculous as the manager said tha it was. Glad it's an easy day but really irritated that she's now vindicated.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »
Fuck no, she's not vindicated. That's a larger force at work on your behalf. This could be the sign you need to get the hell out.

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »
I have been in these situations before: office manager trying to trump the doctor.

The fact of the matter, and it has been pointed out here, is that if you are stressed and stretched too thin, you are putting yourself at risk for mental and physical health issues, as well as clinical misjudgments.

I have put myself out there before and have had to gently remind office managers that they are not the ones carrying the malpractice risk from an overcrowded schedule.  This sounds like an office manager with unchecked power. I have absolutely left these situations, with notice, but I think that you have indeed given notice and are now simply being abused by the power structure.

You are a professional. You worked too hard to get treated this way. Get out. Talk to a practice attorney if you must, I have one, they are awesome and can give you peace of mind.  This shit pisses me off and I am so sorry that you are going through it. I know that you do not want to feel like you are "abandoning" your patients or colleagues, but sometimes things need to get drastic before stuff changes for the better for everyone...patients included. Patients know when you are rushed and stressed.

good luck, I have totally been there. you got this.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »

The resistance isn't from the techs... they actually like the idea, since it would help keep things moving more efficiently! The resistance comes from the manager, who feels that getting in the room with the doctor is what the clients expect. I'm sorry.... for $14, I don't really care what you expect. If you want face time with the doctor, you can pay for an exam. But I'm just unreasonable. Sigh.

I'm always told when I make the appointment that it will be with a tech, not the dr.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2018, 11:59:52 PM »
Sometimes, it’s ok to just go. I think this is one of those times.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2018, 05:59:16 AM »
How about accelerating your leave.
Give the manager a 1 week notice.  You'd love to support the companies "suggestion" for giving 60 days notice but,
the work is now affecting your physical health and you can only put in 1 more week.

That cuts your month to 1 week ... much more manageable and you're not just walking out the door on them.

Besides, if you gave notice a month ago they should have been planning your replacement by now ... started hiring ads, whatever.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2018, 06:05:54 AM »
How about accelerating your leave.
Give the manager a 1 week notice.  You'd love to support the companies "suggestion" for giving 60 days notice but,
the work is now affecting your physical health and you can only put in 1 more week.

That cuts your month to 1 week ... much more manageable and you're not just walking out the door on them.

Besides, if you gave notice a month ago they should have been planning your replacement by now ... started hiring ads, whatever.

Notice requirements are different for many professionals.  Additionally, by giving less than full notice, he or she might be foregoing certain benefits....

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2018, 06:15:30 AM »

While I completely understand what you're saying in theory, I don't understand it logistically. I have zero control over the schedule - the receptionists schedule appointments based on what the office manager tells them. I told her we had too many Saturday appointments and that it was necessary to have the receptionists reschedule some, but she blatantly refused and told me I was being ridiculous.

So I've essentially already given her my requirements and she ignored them. There's no way for me to force the issue and get fired, unless I personally call to cancel appointments?

I really thought they'd fire me today but no such luck.

A written note to the head Dr, office manager and owner of the clinic might help if these issues persist. The office manager shouldn't have unchecked power, amd the big boss may be unaware of what's going on. A written "I will only do this as of X date" note sets the stage for them to accept or not accept your terms. I had phrased it in a way to put the ball in their court so you could feel less guilty.

Glad you are having better days and I hope they continue.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2018, 06:18:36 AM »
Just chiming in to say good luck, @startingsmall.  Bad situation, but I agree with the others that you are in a position of strength. 

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2018, 03:31:01 PM »
Any updates?

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »
Is there someone above the office manager you can talk to? Clearly she is the problem here.

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »
Is there someone above the office manager you can talk to? Clearly she is the problem here.

+1 totes

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
I'm still hanging in there. The last few days have been more tolerable... but I'm sure that won't last. Taking it one day at a time and ready to walk when it strikes my fancy.

Eucalyptus

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2018, 12:57:14 AM »
I just read through this thread and feel for you. I'm not a Vet, but, serve many people in a large organisation in a compliance type role. Its extremely stressful. The workload grows just about daily with more and more new people needing my services, doing more and more complex tasks with more complex compliance. I'm really good at my job, and dedicated to the organisation, but I've been requesting additional staff to work with me for a couple of years but the requests fall on deaf ears. I have massive stress issues. Chest pain coming up to 18months now (I'm super fit in my early 30s, no family history of cardiac issues). On strong medication, its not helping. GP and Mental Health types have been telling me to quit for over a year, there's nothing left they can do for me. Everyone tells me to quit. Family, friends, colleagues who know how I'm suffering from right around the organisation.

My contract is about to expire, the position was only just readvertised (they won't just give me a decent extension even though they can...) as three fractional part time positions, on short contracts!

I only have a few days left. I'm looking forward to it ending. Its going to leave a large number of people, good people, nice people, around the organisation in the lurch. Oh well. The new line manager is awful to work with and makes more work than they help with (they are basically just a sign off for payslips and leave for me. My role has legal accountabilities and responsibilities. The person "above" me, is also, below me when involved in these tasks). I'll be glad to never work under them again.

Thanks for sharing OP, and, I hope the run-down for you to get out of your current hell-hole and away from the awful calamity of trying to help people and animals and not let them down, while being messed around by your manager, is as pleasant as possible. Your mental health is important!

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2018, 06:43:10 AM »
I work a lot in process creation/management/optimization/:: insert buzzword here, varies by org ::

Please don't use yourself as a band-aid. Yes, you're helping the individual in front of you, but someone like me isn't going to know that you're going above and beyond when I come in to do analysis and that's going to prevent a larger fix. Besides not being a sustainable solution, change happens when the problem hits the desk of the right person. And in most cases that means things need to get worse before they get better which SUCKS. 100%. If there's an artificial band-aid, a lot of the time what happens in that they just keep replacing the band-aid because that becomes the defacto problem to be solved. It doesn't get recognized as fixing the symptom and the underlying problem will still exist.

Using the OP's case as a very over simplified example because there's always nuance, you put use the office's comment that she just needs to 'have a better attitude' as the symptom they're trying to fix, whereas the underlying problem really is the office manager's scheduling program or the "sucks to be you" culture that they've created that allows one person to offload the shitty work (no one like's to tell anyone no) onto someone else (no one would be able to see that many patients in a reasonable time frame, creating more stress in an already stressful job).

In both your cases, that SUCKS. That super, duper, SUCKS. Walking away SUCKS. It puts a shitty feeling in your gut and it feels like you're eating a nice guilt sandwich. But you aren't going to fix the orgs on your own and sometimes the best way to help is by leaving! It sounds weird, but that's usually when orgs do the hard work of examining what's needed. Standing your ground, setting boundaries, and forcing others to feel the pain works too even though that FEELS shitty, that's when change happens.

I would like to differentiate too between helping now and then/doing a wee bit extra kind of thing vs stretching yourself thin where going above and beyond becomes the expectation. The second is what you need to avoid. The first is just not being an asshole. Totally easy to slip from the first category into the second and not have felt the shift. Be careful!

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
If there's an artificial band-aid, a lot of the time what happens in that they just keep replacing the band-aid because that becomes the defacto problem to be solved. It doesn't get recognized as fixing the symptom and the underlying problem will still exist.

Using the OP's case as a very over simplified example because there's always nuance, you put use the office's comment that she just needs to 'have a better attitude' as the symptom they're trying to fix, whereas the underlying problem really is the office manager's scheduling program or the "sucks to be you" culture that they've created that allows one person to offload the shitty work (no one like's to tell anyone no) onto someone else (no one would be able to see that many patients in a reasonable time frame, creating more stress in an already stressful job).

That is such a great point. This clinic goes through associate doctors relatively frequently, and they've convinced themselves that the problem is just that "younger docs" are lazy. (Head DVM is in his mid-60s, I'm 40.) They don't recognize that the hospital culture/systems are the problem.

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »
It really just sounds like a horrible place to work. I think it’s tome to go. How close are you to your commitment on your notice?  Can you say it’s “close enough” and bail?

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2018, 02:03:13 PM »
You need to walk away.

The reason that comment reminded you of your abusive ex, is because it's abusive as hell. It's gaslighting and victim blaming. Your boundaries are being violated with impunity. That's abuse.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »
You can't sell yourself into slavery, just walk with no notice.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
So, I'm still here. My goal was to stay at least until May 1st, so that my May health insurance would most likely be covered. (Since I know that's usually the case.)

Today, we came into work to find a note on the dry erase board, starting with "FYI - " and listing a change in the hours we open each day. Stinks for the hourly employees, since they'll have to rearrange their kid drop-off schedules to get there half an hour earlier each day, but at least they'll get paid. The other associate doc has now had her work schedule increased by 2-2.5 hrs/wk with no pay increase.

Fortunately, this change doesn't happen until after I leave. But I'm still pissed on behalf of my coworkers.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »
So, I'm still here. My goal was to stay at least until May 1st, so that my May health insurance would most likely be covered. (Since I know that's usually the case.)

Today, we came into work to find a note on the dry erase board, starting with "FYI - " and listing a change in the hours we open each day. Stinks for the hourly employees, since they'll have to rearrange their kid drop-off schedules to get there half an hour earlier each day, but at least they'll get paid. The other associate doc has now had her work schedule increased by 2-2.5 hrs/wk with no pay increase.

Fortunately, this change doesn't happen until after I leave. But I'm still pissed on behalf of my coworkers.
I would be too, but thank heavens you're just about out of there! You did it. You put your own air mask on first. Fly, startingsmall, fly!