Author Topic: Do you make your own coffee "creamer?"  (Read 11859 times)

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
Do you make your own coffee "creamer?"
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »
International Delight coffee creamer is one of my splurges...but it gets expensive fast, and it's not really healthy. So, do you make your own creamer? Care to share a recipe?

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
Re: Do you make your own coffee "creamer?"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 04:22:29 PM »
I don't make my own creamer but I do buy half and half and eggnog when they are on sale because they are approaching sell by date and freeze them in smaller containers that I can use up.  I bet this would work with International Coffee Creamers too.  I see them cheap (because of age) all the time when I am at Grocery Outlet.   I realize that doesn't do a thing to make them healthier, though.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »
What's a coffee creamer?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:33:07 PM »
Isn't it just cream and sugar?  And artificial flavor I assumed.   

Ynari

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:10:42 PM »
Coffee "creamer" is processed fats (which *might* contain milk fats) and sugars...  not many folks are keen to replicate it.

When I want to dress up my coffee or tea, I just grab a spoonful of condensed milk. A touch of vanilla extract or cinnamon if I want to get super fancy, or whatever spices I feel like bothering with.  (Cayenne lattes!  Whoo!)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »
Amaretto and whole milk / cream?

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »
No creamer, but a touch of organic maple syrup adds both sweetness and flavor. Yum!

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 07:01:16 PM »
I just put half-and-half in my coffee.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 07:38:07 PM »
+1 for condensed milk.  I enjoy Vietnamese/Thai coffees very seldomly and they usually come sweetened with condensed milk.  Tastes similar to white mocha sauce.  It's like crack.

Mutton Chop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 08:55:27 PM »
We started making our own coffee creamer about two weeks ago.  Can't say that we're saving any money, but it is a nice treat when you want something different than black coffee.

Usually we use:
Coconut Milk with pure vanilla extract, and tablespoon of maple syrup
Different flavors, like cinnamon or cocoa powder

Here are some recipes:
http://www.planksloveandguacamole.com/2014/03/paleo-coffee-creamers.html

We're not crazy paleo people but this has been fun and good to get rid of processed creamers. 

neil

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:33:36 PM »
Can't say that we're saving any money 

I would say if you like the flavor, you are gaining the benefit of less processing, and you can change up the flavors to anything you like.  It doesn't have to save money to be an improvement on your life.

I usually don't bother with creamers at home because dairy tends to go bad before I use it.  If the coconut version of creamer is going bad in four days, it is not really a solution for me.  But I like giving things a try so I'll save it for a time when I go on a long run of homemade coffee.  (Free at work, so maybe not for a while.)

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 10:36:59 PM »
sweetened condensed milk diluted with milk and a splash of vanilla extract..and other spices if you want  (cinnamon,nutmeg etc)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 12:26:20 AM »
What's a coffee creamer?
+1

I thought people just added milk to their coffee, and sometimes sugar. I don't know what half and half is either.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 05:42:25 AM »
You can freeze cream and milk . You can buy half cup freezer safe canning jars, make up a batch of whatever, and freeze in whatever portions you'll use in 5-7 days.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 06:42:35 AM »
sweetened condensed milk diluted with milk and a splash of vanilla extract..and other spices if you want  (cinnamon,nutmeg etc)

+1 usually homemade vanilla

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 06:53:39 AM »
No, I don't own a dairy cow at the present moment... ;)

I use half n' half or whole whipping cream and some Davinci Sugar Free syrups when I want a flavored coffee.  Flavored syrups - It's not a necessity but a nicety that I only sometimes splurge on mainly because the other folks in my household got a little too freewheeling in doling it out to themselves in largish amounts. 

It's become something that I insist they buy their own on now as they used mine up too quickly. 

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 06:55:43 AM »
A splash of whole milk is all it takes for me.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 07:12:09 AM »
+1 for condensed milk.  I enjoy Vietnamese/Thai coffees very seldomly and they usually come sweetened with condensed milk.  Tastes similar to white mocha sauce.  It's like crack.

I will have to try that. Maybe not healthy, but probably better than "creamer" from the store.

For a while I was getting quarts of half n' half and adding sugar and vanilla to make creamer, but I just didn't like it that much.

I hate the ingredients of store creamers, and would love to find a homemade recipe that was both better tasting and better for me.

FarmerPete

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 07:33:19 AM »
I started drinking coffee a year ago.  When I made the decision, I decided that I either had to learn to like coffee black, or I wouldn't drink it at all.  After a few times, I started to enjoy it black.  Some times I look back and wonder how much money I could have thrown down the toilet if I added creamer/sugar to every cup of coffee I drank.  Hmmm, I drink a lot of coffee, so that would probably add up fairly fast.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 07:41:03 AM »
What's a coffee creamer?
+1

I thought people just added milk to their coffee, and sometimes sugar. I don't know what half and half is either.

Half and half is half cream, half milk. I'm not sure what the milk fat percentage is, but its not as heavy as cream.

Coffee creamer, what I believe the OP is referring to, is a sweetened, flavored creamy product, sometimes made with cream and sometimes with other creamy liquids like coconut milk that you can pour in your coffee. No need for sugar (at least with the sweetened ones).

And I don't make my own coffee creamer, or buy it, but I'll drink it up when I'm at my sister's! Tasty.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »

I will have to try that. Maybe not healthy, but probably better than "creamer" from the store.

For a while I was getting quarts of half n' half and adding sugar and vanilla to make creamer, but I just didn't like it that much.

I hate the ingredients of store creamers, and would love to find a homemade recipe that was both better tasting and better for me.
I don't buy store creamers either.. just use milk and sugar.  You definitely don't want to make a habit of using condensed milk but I'd wager it's "healthier" (less processed crap) so not the worst thing to do as a "treat".  If you like sweet, strong coffee and you find yourself at a Thai/Vietnamese restaurant and they offer it on the menu... try it.  SO GOOD

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 01:44:01 PM »

Thanks for this. I will have to try this.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 01:50:08 PM »
Pre money saving days, I was addicted to Starbuck's pumpkin spiced lattes in the fall. Even though the thought of a $5 coffee makes me cringe, I still enjoy the taste and knew I'd be tempted to buy this past fall. I actually posted here and someone linked a really good pumpkin spice creamer recipe that turned out waaaaay better than Starbucks, and cheaper to boot. If milk and sugar aren't cutting it for you, just search on allrecipes.com or similar sites, plenty of options!

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 01:53:49 PM »
I save money on coffee creamer by drinking it black.  Why would anyone ruin something delicious and healthy by loading it with unneeded fats and sugars? 

epipenguin

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
...snip... I decided that I either had to learn to like coffee black, or I wouldn't drink it at all.  After a few times, I started to enjoy it black.  Some times I look back and wonder how much money I could have thrown down the toilet if I added creamer/sugar to every cup of coffee I drank.  Hmmm, I drink a lot of coffee, so that would probably add up fairly fast.

Yup. I trained myself to like it black so I didn't have to buy extra stuff to keep at home. And because I wasn't using enough milk or cream anyway so it would go off while sitting in the fridge waiting for me to use it. Now I drink it black at work too, even though there are creamers and half-and-half available. I will still have a soy latte on the very rare occasion I go to Starbucks and actually get coffee (though last time I was there I had a brewed tea which is cheaper).

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »
When I used to drink coffee regularly, I kept a small jar of powdered whole milk on my desk at work, and added a spoonful.  Now I only occasionally drink decaf at home.

I like *MY* coffee black, but the coffee in the breakroom at work is quite nasty, and I had to add the milk to help choke it down (i.e. feed my caffeine addiction - I sure wasn't drinking it because it tasted good). 

I quit drinking caffeinated coffee over a year ago, and now I never NEED to drink coffee!  I make a cup of decaf at home if/when I want it.  Sometimes I do make it strong and put it 50/50 with frothed milk, though.  Mmm.

Never sweet though, sweet coffee makes me want to gag!

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 02:00:23 PM »
@Timmmy - I'm guessing you've never heard of 'bulletproof coffee' then?  Coffee is an excellent fat carrier!  ;) I'm down 35+ lbs.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »
@Timmmy - I'm guessing you've never heard of 'bulletproof coffee' then?  Coffee is an excellent fat carrier!  ;) I'm down 35+ lbs.

I've heard lots of BS... 

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 09:21:10 PM »
When I drink coffee, I want something sweet to eat.
I love chocolate bars and coffee :)

When I drink coffee with flavoured creamer, I don't need anything else...so I consume less calories.
I find the commercial creamers  very rich, so I dilute with  milk .

I don't like sugar in my coffee, otherwise.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 07:15:33 AM »
I get the coffee mate or the international delight brands, and just cut them in half with milk.  Cheaper and healthier.  I am frugal with enough things that I'm not gonna give up my coffee creamer, but I was happy to get a taste for my own less sweet version.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 07:32:41 AM »
I save money on coffee creamer by drinking it black.  Why would anyone ruin something delicious and healthy by loading it with unneeded fats and sugars?

I don't like black coffee. It is not delicious to me. I do like coffee with a splash of milk. In fact, I would consider it delicious. Fats are not "unneeded". You do, in fact, need fat in your diet. That is all.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 08:54:13 AM »
There is also the issue of tannic acid of black coffee affecting the internal organs.

DLJ154

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »
Coconut cream mixed with vanilla and agave nectar.  Also unsalted butter is delicious.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 10:04:38 AM »
Drink one cup of coffee per day, and add one tablespoon of Half n Half. Simple, natural, delicious.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 10:06:12 AM »
Forgot to say that coffee and Half n Half are purchased at Aldi's. I know they have all kinds of coffee creamer products--might be worth investigating prices for those who like them.