Author Topic: Do I want a Costco membership?  (Read 30696 times)

HildaCorners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Professional Polymath
Re: Do I want a Costco membership?
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
I gave up my Costco card a few years ago, after comparing costs on things I buy.

It turned out the only things I saved money on were:
toilet paper (tiny savings)
eggs

Everything else cost less if I did careful sale shopping at the 6 market chains nearby. I have some excellent markets.

Now, if I bought brand name items, had a husband and 4 kids, and a large freezer plus root cellar, my decision might have been different. Or if my local Costco had organic foods and better meats. But I don't, and they didn't, so no membership. I don't miss it.

I do have a card for the local restaurant supply store, which is similar to Costco in some ways, without the rampant consumerism. Still, I go there less than once a year.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
I gave up my Costco card a few years ago, after comparing costs on things I buy...

Everything else cost less if I did careful sale shopping at the 6 market chains nearby....

Or if my local Costco had organic foods and better meats.
Sorry, no way am I interested in shopping SIX other market chains. My time has value. Costco consistently has the best prices for the things I buy on a regular basis and I don't have to waste any time or mental bandwidth chasing elusive sales at SIX different places, not to mention gas.

As to "organic foods and better meats", things have improved a lot in the past few years. All organics are now identified by green signs. You'd be amazed.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2017, 02:54:37 PM »
I'm at Costco now waiting for my free with sign up coupon pizza.
Freaking everything is organic. Which means a lot of it costs more than our comparable products.  I'm annoyed there was no non organic spaghetti and no shell noodles at all, as that is what I came for.

I'll probably eat my membership in cheese/caramel popcorn though. And my daughter got a great nap while we walked around for 2 hours.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »
I've noticed the lack of shell noodles, too. I wonder if there was too much breakeage? Costco watches every little detail. Remember when nuts came in round containers? Seems Costco figured out square was more efficient and now it's square, square everywhere.

HildaCorners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Professional Polymath
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2017, 03:24:31 PM »
I gave up my Costco card a few years ago, after comparing costs on things I buy...

Everything else cost less if I did careful sale shopping at the 6 market chains nearby....

Or if my local Costco had organic foods and better meats.
Sorry, no way am I interested in shopping SIX other market chains. My time has value. Costco consistently has the best prices for the things I buy on a regular basis and I don't have to waste any time or mental bandwidth chasing elusive sales at SIX different places, not to mention gas.

My time has value too.

When I first moved to this area, I checked out all the chains. One has uniformly high prices and isn't close by, I never go there. One has very good deals on meat, but not often, I go there 3-4 times a year. One is Whole Paycheck Foods, also not on the list.

The chain in walking distance to my house has high prices, I sometimes go there because its convenient. That leaves two, in adjacent strip malls. One is Trader Joes, the other has overall low prices. I go to these two on a regular basis, and look at the ads for the rest.

I probably spend 20 minutes more a week than you do. My monthly food budget for me and a teen boy is under $300 a month, I don't think Costco could beat that.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2017, 03:59:02 PM »
ZCademy, your prior post clearly stated that you shop at "six different chains", which could be interpreted that you shop at more than one location of some chain stores, making the total number even higher.

You do you, and I'll do me. It's all good.

BTW, I'm pleased that Iowa Jesus (autofill for iowajes) got enough feedback to make a decision.

Love this forum!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2017, 06:59:43 PM »
I need to change my username. :)

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »
I didn't read anything in this thread.

The answer is "Yes", Costco is a gift from the heavens. Shame on you for not being born in one.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2017, 01:05:55 AM »
I didn't read anything in this thread.

The answer is "Yes", Costco is a gift from the heavens. Shame on you for not being born in one.
Alas, I was born before Costco was. Once I was visiting my very funny cousin and we went to Costco. As we approached the entrance, we passed a string of carts that all had very young children in them. She quipped, "Oh, look! Costco's selling babies now." I never stopped to think maybe they were born there, lol. You know, those long checkout lines...

Seriously, there are so many Costco locations around the world, I'm sure a baby's been born in one of them somewhere.
Okay, I just had to Google it...

I see someone got pretty darn close! At the end of the article it says the warehouse manager gave them a survival kit, including diapers and a Costco membership! Now that's mustachian!

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/woman-gives-birth-at-costco-in-winter-park_20151107090038124

Note to the artist formerly known as iowajes, I'm just here to help ;-)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:32:47 AM by Dicey »

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »
As others have mentioned, their rotisserie chicken is probably worth it right there!

For 4.99, you get a large, delicious chicken already cooked. Even if you only got 1 chicken a week for a year, that's only $1 extra per chicken, and $5.99 for their chickens is still a great deal. They are great to eat alone, in/on salads, sandwiches, everything. I can't even buy an uncooked chicken that size for that price!

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2017, 02:54:53 PM »
As others have mentioned, their rotisserie chicken is probably worth it right there!

For 4.99, you get a large, delicious chicken already cooked. Even if you only got 1 chicken a week for a year, that's only $1 extra per chicken, and $5.99 for their chickens is still a great deal. They are great to eat alone, in/on salads, sandwiches, everything. I can't even buy an uncooked chicken that size for that price!

I second this...the rotisserie chicken is great!  However, I think you can also get one at Target for around the same price?

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »
As to "organic foods and better meats", things have improved a lot in the past few years. All organics are now identified by green signs. You'd be amazed.
While I'll agree that Costco has added quite a bit of organic options at most stores, I still notice differences in what is available ammong the different Coscto warehouses in my area (there are 2 warehouses that I shop frequently and a few others in the region that I occasionally visit).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2017, 01:02:52 PM »

I second this...the rotisserie chicken is great!  However, I think you can also get one at Target for around the same price?

Pretty much everyone around here offers a rotisserie chicken at that price.

I've never purchased a pre-cooked chicken. We often buy whole chickens, and they are just a tad less than that, but then we get to decide how to season it.

We did find almonds are way cheaper there.
And if I can find a good storage container- bread flour is a fabulous price.  We use a ton of bread flour, but we don't have anywhere to store such a large open bag.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2017, 01:46:25 PM »
And if I can find a good storage container- bread flour is a fabulous price.  We use a ton of bread flour, but we don't have anywhere to store such a large open bag.
I'd recommend food grade 5-gallon buckets (~$5 but you may be able to find a food service that will give you these for free). Usually you have to get lids separately (food service ingredients that come in buckets have 1 time use lids that get cut open). One-time use lids are best for shipping or storage, but there are also lids designed to be opened and sealed many times. Basic lids should be less than $2, the screw open/closed Gamma Seal lid can be found for about $7. Each 5-gallon bucket can hold about 30 pounds of flour, so you'd need 2 to store the flour from a 50 pound bag.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »

I've never purchased a pre-cooked chicken. We often buy whole chickens, and they are just a tad less than that, but then we get to decide how to season it.

That's what I thought.  However, at least from my experience, the Costco chicken is noticeably larger than the other stores.

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »

That's what I thought.  However, at least from my experience, the Costco chicken is noticeably larger than the other stores.

My Targets don't have a rotis chicken. Iowajess, you probably live near HyVees, no? Our HyVee has smaller chicken for closer to $8. That's 60% more expensive, AND smaller. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »

My Targets don't have a rotis chicken. Iowajess, you probably live near HyVees, no? Our HyVee has smaller chicken for closer to $8. That's 60% more expensive, AND smaller.

Target, Walmart, and Hyvee all have rotisserie chickens. Hyvee is always more expensive than the other options.  I've never bought a precooked chicken though.

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2017, 02:02:09 PM »
There's a grocery delivery service in my area that delivers from Costco, no membership required. There might be something similar in your area - you could order groceries in for a month or two, see if you liked eating those foods all the time, had storage space for all the toilet paper, etc. Paying a delivery fee is cheaper than paying for a membership you might not use.

Best of luck.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »

There have been many great tips so far, but the BEST reason to shop Costco is because they pay a living wage and provide good benefits, including solid healthcare, to their employees. This alone is enough to justify the Costco membership, IMO, because it reminds me to shop there and support a retail giant who actually treats their employees like valued human beings who have worthwhile lives and families to support, instead of like so many clods of dirt.

yes!!!! ^^^

and the chickens, gas, papertowels and kleenex and my DH's annual pair of jeans.

jane8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2017, 02:39:25 PM »
We have a very short list of things we buy at Costco:
Our visits are extremely fast. I park the boyfriend in line (with a neon hat if it's crowded) as soon as we walk in, run around grabbing the two things we need, and head right to the front of the line and out the door. Generally less than 10 minutes total. Zero browsing or impulse buying.

I love this plan. Wish husband was more game/available to come with me. I buy quite a bit (trips are usually ~$100-150), and I'm out the door in under 15min usually. =)

Tips:
Get to a side wall ASAP when you get inside, and cut straight back to the food.
Do 'cart recon' for really congested areas, like the cheese/toiletries zone. There's usually dead spots based on the layout. I park the cart, then do zippy out and backs to get bacon or TP or whatever.
Knowing your store helps immensely.
I also have a personal rule: never backtrack. If you miss the item, you can buy it another day, lol.

^^^ This, also LOL at the "If you miss, get another day".

I'm single but my Mom is on my card (and Dad benefits as Mom is primary shopper). During a brief downturn I lived with my parents and added her via the "two adults on one address" or whatever the rule is. Be advised there is a rule and they do check.  I've long since moved out and they always ask me if I want to update my address and I'm all "Nope".

Even w/o my Mom on it, as a single person I still think its worth it as I HATE shopping for toiletries etc. Do not understand people who enjoy trips to Target. Does not compute.

I like that I can buy a pack o'toilet paper and it lasts for an average of six months. The gas, toiletries, bulk meat, coffee alone cover the cost for me. Having my Mom (and unofficially Dad by proxy) is a bonus.

Also, as another person mentioned, they pay their employees a living wage with insurance, etc (or at least they did as of a few years ago --- I presume this hasn't changed). There are almost always check out lines but every store I've been in the checkers WORK to get people in and out. I appreciate that.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2017, 11:25:19 PM »

There have been many great tips so far, but the BEST reason to shop Costco is because they pay a living wage and provide good benefits, including solid healthcare, to their employees. This alone is enough to justify the Costco membership, IMO, because it reminds me to shop there and support a retail giant who actually treats their employees like valued human beings who have worthwhile lives and families to support, instead of like so many clods of dirt.

yes!!!! ^^^

Yes x1000.

Check out how Costco treats employees. Then check how Walmart treats employees. For reference, if you're at all interested in the plight of the working poor, watch the documentary Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

Plus, OP, your mother is paying for your membership! What more do you need!!

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2017, 03:40:44 PM »
I know this is supposed to be a forum about saving money and I'm mixed on the actual dollar savings at Costco but it would be worth the membership cost for our family of 5 for their great quality of foods. Our frozen back-up meals are all from Costco-running late tonight and still have to get someone to practice? How does cilantro crusted tilapia sound? No leftovers for lunch the next day? Do you want a salmon burger or 4 cheese ravioli? Our last minute, quick prep meals from Costco are better than most people eat when they order out. Their take-n-bake pizzas are great and are a good value.

The rotisserie chickens are amazing and actually sold at a loss at $4.99 in order to drive people in the door (and to pay membership fees) http://fortune.com/2015/05/29/costco-chicken-prices/ 

I also enjoy buying the ginormous packages of TP so I don't have to worry about running out for a long time.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2017, 10:52:58 PM »
Interesting article!  As I suspected...it's all about the chicken.  :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!