Author Topic: Dishwasher recommendations  (Read 3412 times)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
Dishwasher recommendations
« on: December 19, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »
I will do a google forum search for this but in the meantime--

Our dishwasher from 2008 has crapped out and resists our repeated attempts to repair it. We're thinking of just buying a new one. Financially, it is not a big deal to us to pay cash for a new dishwasher, but I've read online that all dishwashers built in the last decade or so are terrible because of the energy efficiency laws.

Is it best to buy a used dishwasher from the pre-energy efficient days?

We have two toddlers and two full-time jobs and handwashing dishes is not ideal.

Strategies for purchasing a dishwasher?

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
Re: Dishwasher recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 04:03:56 PM »
My friends (also with toddler) bought a new Bosch dishwasher (800 series???) about a year ago, and the only thing it doesn't get clean are the browned bits stuck to the bottom of pans. Everything else comes out beautifully.

Downside(s): you have to clean out a filter once a month or so, and (applicable to all dishwashers) it might be useful to check if your dishes will fit well with spacing in the dishwasher. Some dishwashers have wider or narrower spacing between the tines, so narrow spacing + chunky stoneware dishes = difficulty getting everything nicely loaded.

Another factor to consider is getting decent dish soap. I've always been a buy-the-cheapest-generic sort of person, but recently was gifted some of those Name Brand dishwashing pods, and damn if my dishes are't getting cleaner, even in my craptacular dishwasher.

In my experience, there are 3 factors in getting a dishwasher to work well: 1. decent soap, 2. loading it properly according to the manufacturer recommendations so the dirty bits are facing the way it was designed to work (usually down and/or toward the center), and 3. not pre-washing or rinsing (especially with modern dishwashers) (yes scrape off chunks. do. not. rinse).

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 04:23:44 PM »
I think number 3) really depends on where you are located on this planet. If water is an issue - and in Texas I would be surprised if it weren't - yes, pre-washing is a waste of precious water. However, were I live our roof is collecting more rain water than we use in clean water, our tap water is pumped up locally and we let rain water go into the ground uncontaminated. Water isn't an issue, but energy is. With just a little over seven hours of daylight and no wind, there really isn't a lot of renewable energy being produced here right now. For us it's better to minimize the number of dish washer runs, even if that means pre-washing.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 08:28:07 PM »
I can't make a recommendation,  only what is NOT recommended.

I do not recommend selecting either my husband or my two teenagers, between them the dishes don't get done / experience a lot of breakage.

Systems101

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 10:10:01 PM »
I think number 3) really depends on where you are located on this planet.

This isn't about water use minimization.  It's about computers and sensors, so it is independent of your water cost.

Modern dishwashers have a sensor in them that detects how much gunk is in the moving water.  If you rinse, you start to mess with the sensor's ability to understand how much to clean the dishes.  So if you rinse, but there are small sections in the nooks and crannies that are really dirty, they won't come clean, because there is insufficient evidence for the sensor to run the dishwasher for the right length of time.

See: https://www.consumerreports.org/dishwashers/dont-bother-pre-rinsing-your-dishes/

Scrape, don't rinse. 

Systems101

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 10:13:44 PM »
Strategies for purchasing a dishwasher?

Sorry, I didn't actually answer the original post :)

In general I feel dishwashers with metal inside frames will be better off than all plastic... can handle higher temperatures, produces less noise, better energy efficiency, but you pay for it.

I'd also recommend Bosch.  That's what I put in the last home when the previous one kicked the bucket... was very happy with it

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 04:17:02 AM »
I’m on my second Bosch. I don’t think any appliance is built to last these days, and with all the electronics it’s not really cost effective to repair them, but the Bosch does a fabulous job of cleaning. You do have to use the detergent the recommend but the pods are pretty cheap on amazon.

I never buy the top of the line model, but this new one has some nice features, including the third rack on top which holds a lot of odds and ends. It’s very quiet.

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 02:49:21 PM »
I think number 3) really depends on where you are located on this planet.

This isn't about water use minimization.  It's about computers and sensors, so it is independent of your water cost.

Modern dishwashers have a sensor in them that detects how much gunk is in the moving water.  If you rinse, you start to mess with the sensor's ability to understand how much to clean the dishes.  So if you rinse, but there are small sections in the nooks and crannies that are really dirty, they won't come clean, because there is insufficient evidence for the sensor to run the dishwasher for the right length of time.

See: https://www.consumerreports.org/dishwashers/dont-bother-pre-rinsing-your-dishes/

Scrape, don't rinse.

^^ yes, this! I should have included a link/more explanation. Weird sensor fanciness is what gets your dishes clean in modern dishwashers. If your dishwasher doesn't sense enough dirt, it doesn't try to get things clean, so they don't get clean. It's not a water or energy saving thing at all, it's how they are designed to work.

Slow2FIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 07:29:35 PM »
I can't make a recommendation,  only what is NOT recommended.

I do not recommend selecting either my husband or my two teenagers, between them the dishes don't get done / experience a lot of breakage.

I think they are pulling a fast one on you...

doingfine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 06:19:50 AM »
Bosch.

We are on our second. First one lasted about 12 years.

New one last year is quieter still (old one got somewhat louder over the years as well). Cleans great. Doesn't dry well like most modern machines, although our older Bosch did much better on this front.

Did not think I'd care for the 3rd rack at the top for odds and ends, but this might be the best part of the upgrade. Fits all the small utensils/dishes/and so on that never had a great spot in previous models.

The touchpad controls are awful. I'm very electronic-literate and I've really only figured out how to make the thing switch between the main and quick cycles.

cassafrass

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 07:34:38 AM »
I'll jump on the bandwagon and vote Bosch too.

We just bought our first about a month ago and I've been very happy so far. The price tag gave me pause and I'm still wondering if the dishwasher that was half as expensive would've worked just as well...

Pros

1. Cleans well - so far I haven't found any dried on gunk after the cycle.

2. Super quiet!

3. Loading versatility - since there's no heating element on the bottom, you can load anything anywhere (ex. stuff that says to load only on the top rack can safely be put on the bottom). Also, the third rack is convenient for silverware, large utensils, small lids, sippy cup odds and ends, etc.

4. Sleek and attractive design if that's something you care about.

Cons

1. The rack spacing is a little narrow so I'm still trying to figure out how to load everything effectively. Dishes fit nicely, but I'm sometimes scratching my head to figure out how to get in my variously sized Tupperware containers.

2. Doesn't dry very well since there is no heating element (see above). Most things will need a wipe with a dry cloth before putting them away. The saleswomen said that you can improve drying by interspersing your stone/glass items with your plastic because they will absorb and release heat to help dry.

3. Expensive!

Annie101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 07:50:22 AM »
Our dishwasher was in the house when we bought 13 years ago, so who knows how old it is.  We recently replaced the seals around door to fix a leakage problem.  I was hesitant to buy a new one in part because it seems newer dishwashers don't last. The fact that some people have gone through two bosch in 10-12 years is not a good recommendation in my mind.  My parents have also gone through two dishwashers since they remodeled the kitchen 8 years ago.  I vote for fixing it if possible.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 09:51:54 AM »
I still like the Bosch I mentioned above, as it is still nice and quiet and still does a great job on the dishes, but it has been repaired three times in the last two years, and only one of those times was it still under warranty.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 09:53:44 AM »
Guys. We bought a GE dishwasher at Sears for $500 like a year and a half ago. It's been fine. Actually, it's been great.

Somebody resurrected this thread to do some weird spam thing. I don't really get it. Anyway, if anybody needs a dishwasher, hope this thread helps.

:)

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
I have a Bosch. When it's done, it beeps once. And every 5 minutes it will keep beeping. Not enough to make you say 'let's turn that off,' but enough to make you say 'shoot me now' 3 hours later.