Author Topic: Diet suggestions - protein, stable blood sugar, no dairy  (Read 11219 times)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Diet suggestions - protein, stable blood sugar, no dairy
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
(I don't think I've asked this before...)

Anyway, dietary restrictions:
* Any dairy except non-fat Greek yogurt
* Most sugary stuff... I should avoid this more

I'm lactose intolerant, and tend to get low blood sugar (hands shakey, irritable, sometimes hot flashes) if I don't have enough protein in my diet. Should probably plan out meals more, and find a better lunch option that doesn't involve bread. Suggestions?

MaxP0wer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Diet suggestions - protein, stable blood sugar, no dairy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »
This is easy as its mostly what I eat with no restrictions.

Fruits and veggies first and foremost, then seafood, lean meats, eggs, oats, brown rice, quinoa, beans, nuts.  Thats pretty much all you need.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:46:34 PM »
I know it's a "fad diet", but your needs would fall strongly in line with paleo, primal, and whole 30 eating. So blogs and recipes geared toward those will help. FWIW, I also have the same sort of blood sugar concerns- I found my breakfast to be the biggest "make or break it" meal for that. I need plenty of fat and protein at breakfast, and then I'm MUCH more stable the rest of the day. For me, that means eggs made with butter. (Usually topped with hot sauce, or salsa, or sour cream, or pesto).

Good luck!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »
I know it's a "fad diet", but your needs would fall strongly in line with paleo, primal, and whole 30 eating. So blogs and recipes geared toward those will help. FWIW, I also have the same sort of blood sugar concerns- I found my breakfast to be the biggest "make or break it" meal for that. I need plenty of fat and protein at breakfast, and then I'm MUCH more stable the rest of the day. For me, that means eggs made with butter. (Usually topped with hot sauce, or salsa, or sour cream, or pesto).

Good luck!

But without the butter or sour cream :-P

I do agree that eggs are one of the better meals for me. (I just need to resist bacon. When I have bacon, eggs and toast, my stomach usually protests. Of course skipping the bread might help.) I usually have Greek yogurt + peanut butter + banana, but it's really more sugar than I need. Or I'll have oatmeal with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. All of these get me going until snack time, whereas if I have cereal with almond milk, I'm crashing by 10:30 AM.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »
What do you feel like the main area you're struggling is? Recipe ideas? Finding food you like/appetite? Meal planning? Grocery prices?

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »
I rarely feel good. My stomach is often uneasy. I'm usually tired.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »
I rarely feel good. My stomach is often uneasy. I'm usually tired.

That would say to me it's possible you have a food sensitivity you're not aware of? Have you had a physical within the past year? Sometimes lab values can give clues on where to go. It's very hard to say where to go with 'general' symptoms like that, unfortunately. Personally, it came down to IBS, anxiety, food sensitivities, and a genetic metabolic disorder. Eventually I found a medical grade probiotic that helps me, but it was a long road there. It could be *so* many different things though. It's also hard to 'separate' mind and body- some people have really visceral experiences of depression or anxiety, and might not recognize it for what it is.

Admittedly, I am part of the "medical establishment", but talking to a doctor could be a good place to start. Otherwise, an elimination/reintroduction diet like the whole 30 could be a good option.

Best of luck!

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 04:25:01 PM »
If the dairy issue is lactose intolerance, are you sure you can't tolerate hard cheese?  Most aged cheeses have almost no residual lactose.  Cheddar works fine for me, and I can actually tolerate most low-moisture mozzarella too.

I thought I was just lactose intolerant, but it turns out I actually have multiple food intolerances and have to be pretty careful about what I eat.  The diet that originally fixed my GI issues is called low-FODMAP, although it turns out I can tolerate a moderate amount of FODMAPS but not crazy amounts.

Anyway, I mention cheese because it helps me a lot with balancing snacks.  I also need to be careful about my blood sugar and carbs, and as a result my diet is not always the most mustachian.  For breakfast I usually have a lactose-free protein shake and some non-tropical fruit (apples, berries, citrus all are fine for my blood sugar).  For lunch I have some sort of soup/stew with a combination of veggies/beans/meat.  Afternoon snack is fruit and hard cheese.  Dinner has a lot of variety, but tends toward beans, whole grains, some meat, and lots of veggies.  Sometimes I'll have pasta, but I need to make sure it is a small portion balanced with a protein source like meatballs or sausage.

I keep snacks with me to combat low blood sugar, and if I'm low I'll have a "fast carb" snack (juice, fruit snacks) followed by a "slow carb/protein" snack (low sugar granola-ish bar, trail mix) once my blood sugar has come back up from the low if I'm not close to my next meal.

Finally, I would suggest a check up with your PCP, and an A1C test.  Reactive hypoglycemia (what you are describing) can co-exist with pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes, although it's not super common.  GI issues and fatigue also probably should be checked out by a doc.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 04:42:48 PM »
If the dairy issue is lactose intolerance, are you sure you can't tolerate hard cheese?  Most aged cheeses have almost no residual lactose.  Cheddar works fine for me, and I can actually tolerate most low-moisture mozzarella too.

I thought I was just lactose intolerant, but it turns out I actually have multiple food intolerances and have to be pretty careful about what I eat.  The diet that originally fixed my GI issues is called low-FODMAP, although it turns out I can tolerate a moderate amount of FODMAPS but not crazy amounts.

Anyway, I mention cheese because it helps me a lot with balancing snacks.  I also need to be careful about my blood sugar and carbs, and as a result my diet is not always the most mustachian.  For breakfast I usually have a lactose-free protein shake and some non-tropical fruit (apples, berries, citrus all are fine for my blood sugar).  For lunch I have some sort of soup/stew with a combination of veggies/beans/meat.  Afternoon snack is fruit and hard cheese.  Dinner has a lot of variety, but tends toward beans, whole grains, some meat, and lots of veggies.  Sometimes I'll have pasta, but I need to make sure it is a small portion balanced with a protein source like meatballs or sausage.

I keep snacks with me to combat low blood sugar, and if I'm low I'll have a "fast carb" snack (juice, fruit snacks) followed by a "slow carb/protein" snack (low sugar granola-ish bar, trail mix) once my blood sugar has come back up from the low if I'm not close to my next meal.

Finally, I would suggest a check up with your PCP, and an A1C test.  Reactive hypoglycemia (what you are describing) can co-exist with pre-diabetes and Type 2 diabetes, although it's not super common.  GI issues and fatigue also probably should be checked out by a doc.

Interestingly, I also find my BS does fine with berries and citrus, and less so with apples/pears/bananas/tropical fruits. You would think the g sugar would be the determining factor, but there's clearly a lot more going on there! Fiber I guess? Not sure.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 04:48:53 PM »

Interestingly, I also find my BS does fine with berries and citrus, and less so with apples/pears/bananas/tropical fruits. You would think the g sugar would be the determining factor, but there's clearly a lot more going on there! Fiber I guess? Not sure.

I'm the same way, and I'm sure it's the fiber. Though I do ok with apples and pears. Not with mango, banana, papaya, etc.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »

I'm the same way, and I'm sure it's the fiber. Though I do ok with apples and pears. Not with mango, banana, papaya, etc.

I do better with cooked apples than raw, which always seemed counter intuitive to me. Although I tend to cook them with either cranberries or rhubarb (depending on the season), so that may be why?

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 07:28:27 AM »
How can I tell what cheese I can have... without suffering the consequences? :)

I haven't had milk in 10+ years, but I continued to have cheese (especially string), yogurt and ice cream until 2012, when I discovered that ice cream caused issues. Then I still had pizza for a while. But now I avoid all butter and cheese, and everything dairy except non-fat Greek yogurt.

What do you feel like the main area you're struggling is? Recipe ideas? Finding food you like/appetite? Meal planning? Grocery prices?

So as specified - energy levels and general discomfort. So yes, recipe/food ideas and meal planning are probably a big part of it. A doctor told me I have reactive hypoglycemia but that otherwise my blood tests were fine.

I think, as far as prices go - if I can feel "good" and have the energy to get my job (and maybe a hobby or two) done, I don't care if it increases my grocery bill! Right now, it's kind of hard to be coherent and put a plan together (aka a grocery list.) So yeah, getting my head clear and not feeling like sleeping all day would be a big step in the right direction.

And yes... could be depression/seasonal as well. (Primary reason to FIRE - spend daylight hours somewhere in the vicinity of daylight.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 07:57:47 AM »

I haven't had milk in 10+ years, but I continued to have cheese (especially string), yogurt and ice cream until 2012, when I discovered that ice cream caused issues. Then I still had pizza for a while. But now I avoid all butter and cheese, and everything dairy except non-fat Greek yogurt.

So as specified - energy levels and general discomfort. So yes, recipe/food ideas and meal planning are probably a big part of it. A doctor told me I have reactive hypoglycemia but that otherwise my blood tests were fine.

I think, as far as prices go - if I can feel "good" and have the energy to get my job (and maybe a hobby or two) done, I don't care if it increases my grocery bill! Right now, it's kind of hard to be coherent and put a plan together (aka a grocery list.) So yeah, getting my head clear and not feeling like sleeping all day would be a big step in the right direction.

And yes... could be depression/seasonal as well. (Primary reason to FIRE - spend daylight hours somewhere in the vicinity of daylight.)

If you suspect it could be SAD (seasonal affect disorder), there are a lot of home options to try:
http://www.everydayhealth.com/depression/treatment/ways-to-ease-seasonal-depression/
http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/home-remedies/home-remedies-for-seasonal-affective-disorder.htm

If you're having a hard time getting started batch cooking and meal planning, can you get your wife or a friend or relative to help? There are many guides for 'paleo freezer batch cooking' and it's pretty fun to do with another person, TBH. A busy Sunday, and you're set for the *month*, it's crazy.
http://againstallgrain.com/2015/10/01/make-ahead-paleo-freezer-meals/
http://www.lifemadefull.com/paleo-batch-cooking-and-freezer-meal-recipes/
https://onceamonthmeals.com/blog/recipe-roundups/50-freezable-whole30-recipes/

If it's lactose, rather than casein that you have the problem with (ie, the sugar, not the protein), then you should be able to use ghee with no distress- clarified butter.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 08:10:55 AM »

I recently got the book called The Inside Tract and it has exclusionary food plans (I think similar to Whole 30). The "Track 2" plan has you follow a diet that excludes corn, wheat/gluten, dairy, peanuts, alcohol, and FODMAPS for two weeks, then you reintroduce those things one at a time for 3 days a piece over the following month or so. The reason I'm mentioning this is it has 'meal plans' in the book that adhere to the exclusionary diet, as well as the RECIPES in the meal plan. Should make it easier and give you a starting place, if it's food sensitivities that you need to identify.

Still takes quite a bit of effort on your part though to read and understand what you need to buy, and to chop everything up and cook it once or twice a week. Think lots of fresh herbs and veggies.

Once you add food back you can hopefully identify any issues you're having.

That being said, I had trouble eating enough food/fat to feel full on this plan during the 2 week exclusionary period, and if you have blood sugar concerns that may be an issue as well.

I'm not a doctor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MaxP0wer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »

I don't know what the rest of your diet is like but I cannot stress enough the importance of veggies.  If you are someone who doesn't like most veggies, consider juicing as you can get quite a bit of the vitamins and minerals while making them taste good with fruit added in.  Also, while diet is very important, good excercise is the other side of that coin.  Eating right and staying active will do wonders for your energy, mind, and quality of sleep. 

One more thing, if you aren't already taking a quality probiotic, look into it.  They are very helpful in alleviating any gut issues and may allow to eat some "bad" things without the discomfort.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 09:43:08 AM »
If it's lactose, rather than casein that you have the problem with (ie, the sugar, not the protein), then you should be able to use ghee with no distress- clarified butter.

So - I tried protein powders that were lactose free but had casein, and it wasn't pretty. I tried protein powders that were lactose free but had whey... and it wasn't pretty. So basically all of the components of dairy seem to be an issue for me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »

So - I tried protein powders that were lactose free but had casein, and it wasn't pretty. I tried protein powders that were lactose free but had whey... and it wasn't pretty. So basically all of the components of dairy seem to be an issue for me.

Ooh, that's a bummer. I'm surprised you can do yogurt at all then! On the bright side, coconut oil and lard are still awesome to cook in. Eggs made with bacon grease are lovely- you can cook a pack on a pan in the oven to save all the grease. Chop up the bacon as bits to use on salads, etc, and save the grease to make your eggs. Yum =)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 09:56:46 AM »
It wasn't 100% scientific, but best I could tell, those proteins don't work with my digestive system. But they are found in Greek yogurt (i.e. that great source of protein?)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »
It wasn't 100% scientific, but best I could tell, those proteins don't work with my digestive system. But they are found in Greek yogurt (i.e. that great source of protein?)

Since you are having other non-specific issues, and know other forms of dairy cause acute distress, I would really consider eliminating the yogurt and seeing if that helps. You can have a lot of low grade issues tolerating something poorly, even if it falls short of the really immediate and obvious misery.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 10:09:31 AM »
Hmm I think I need a clear head and a serious meal plan to get me through... 24 hours... without the protein I get from Greek yogurt!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »
Hmm I think I need a clear head and a serious meal plan to get me through... 24 hours... without the protein I get from Greek yogurt!

It sounds like you need a serious meal plan no matter what right now!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 10:18:27 AM »

If you haven't checked out the Whole 30 thread, it is worth it! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/whole-30-starting-sept-8th-want-to-join-us/

Don't let the 39 pages scare you, read a bit of the first page and if you want to jump in. It is one of the most supportive threads on the forums. We spend a lot of time problem solving, figuring out menus (there is a Pinterest board of whole 30 recipes, PM me your address if you want an invite for it)

Your tiredness and brain fog might be a symptom of food you are eating (probably wheat) It would be worth doing an elimination program just to see. I know my Fibro issues (including brain fog) go away if I don't eat wheat, and I discovered all my sinus and breathing issues are dairy related. FWIW, I have been dealing with Hypoglycemia since I was a teenager, I have zero issues when I am eating whole 30-style.  I have thoroughly stumped my docs :)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
How long does it take for wheat-related symptoms to subside? (i.e. haven't had any today; last wheat product was a sandwich around 4PM yesterday.)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 10:35:13 AM »
How long does it take for wheat-related symptoms to subside? (i.e. haven't had any today; last wheat product was a sandwich around 4PM yesterday.)

It really depends on what your symptoms are and how long you have been dealing with them. Besides the problems with wheat, there is Non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS). Interesting paper here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4517012/

Quote:

Non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) is a syndrome diagnosed in patients with symptoms that respond to removal of gluten from the diet, after CD and wheat allergy have been excluded [1,2]. The description of this condition is mostly restricted to adults, including a large number of patients previously labeled with “irritable bowel syndrome” or “psychosomatic disorder” [1].

The “classical” presentation of NCGS is, indeed, a combination of gastro-intestinal symptoms including abdominal pain, bloating, bowel habit abnormalities (either diarrhea or constipation), and systemic manifestations including disorders of the neuropsychiatric area such as “foggy mind”, depression, headache, fatigue, and leg or arm numbness [1,2,3]. In recent studies, NCGS has been related to the appearance of neuro-psychiatric disorders, such as autism, schizophrenia and depression [2,4]. The proposed mechanism is a CD-unrelated, primary alteration of the small intestinal barrier (leaky gut) leading to abnormal absorption of gluten peptides that can eventually reach the central nervous system stimulating the brain opioid receptors and/or causing neuro-inflammation.

It's complicated, and the research is still pretty new. That's why trying to see what works best FOR YOU is worth a shot.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
My go-to lunch is salad...the trick, I found,  is you need a large volume to fill up on vegetables. I start with a few handfuls of greens in a 5c container (not iceberg lettuce, it's calorically and nutritionally pretty void...I like baby greens, actually, though it is more expensive than a head of romaine, green, or red). Add 2-3 veggies I like, couple tbsp dressing in a little container, serving of protein (typically meat or egg, but beans, nuts, or cheese might work for you). If the meat nerds cooking, I'll make all of it for the week on one night.

I also bring dinner leftovers, which vary pretty widely because we like to cook a variety. But I have gotten in the habit of including a significant portion of vegetables each meal. It's rarely complicated. Steamed broccoli or frozen peas, bell pepper slices or a handful of tomatoes, a 3-ingredient salad, chunky pasta sauce. Vegetables ON thin crust pizza (not sauce).

My diet isn't perfect but these are the good things about it. :) Recommend these habits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »
Yup - no butter/dairy in my life except Greek yogurt, but if I can get on Whole30, I will exclude that as well.

Blood sugar isn't always a problem, but yes - usually the issue is that I haven't had enough protein (i.e. stable energy source) which usually seems to happen (unscientifically speaking) when I have thinks like cereal, or if I just can't seem to find enough food to pack because I burn through food quickly. (I'm currently calorie restricting... to about 2500 calories / day.)

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »
Yup - no butter/dairy in my life except Greek yogurt, but if I can get on Whole30, I will exclude that as well.

Blood sugar isn't always a problem, but yes - usually the issue is that I haven't had enough protein (i.e. stable energy source) which usually seems to happen (unscientifically speaking) when I have thinks like cereal, or if I just can't seem to find enough food to pack because I burn through food quickly. (I'm currently calorie restricting... to about 2500 calories / day.)

Definitely look into the Whole 30. When you are trying to figure out your food intolerances, calorie restricting IS NOT HEALTHY.

The old adage that "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" is not true. They are processed differently and healthy fats are key to being satiated and for stable energy levels.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »
Went grocery shopping.

Meat, nuts, fruits, veggies, eggs.

Wife made chicken, squash, onions, tomatoes in coconut oil with some salt, pepper, basil. I ate some dates, walnuts, blueberries and a banana, too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 06:15:37 PM »
Went grocery shopping.

Meat, nuts, fruits, veggies, eggs.

Wife made chicken, squash, onions, tomatoes in coconut oil with some salt, pepper, basil. I ate some dates, walnuts, blueberries and a banana, too.

Woohoo.

So what's the long term game plan? If you don't have concrete goals, it's quite likely you'll burn out after a week of feeling like you're 'flailing around for no reason'. I mean, if you're like me/most people anyway =)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 06:18:44 PM »
Well, I guess for now, eat these things through February. As I approach 30 dates, see what next steps are. Curious if I'll have to carefully include/balance protein. Right now I plan bacon and eggs tomorrow morning...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 06:20:10 PM »
Well, I guess for now, eat these things through February. As I approach 30 dates, see what next steps are. Curious if I'll have to carefully include/balance protein. Right now I plan bacon and eggs tomorrow morning...

Be sure to calculate how much protein you were getting from the greek yogurt, and ensure you're getting a similar amount from the eggs. It always surprises me how many eggs it takes to get to an appreciable amount of protein. If you're struggling to get there, a chicken omlette can be a great way to bump the protein in a big way. =)

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 07:38:26 AM »
This morning, I had 5 slices of bacon and 4 jumbo eggs. 34g fat, 0g carbs, 39g protein. 477 calories.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 07:38:19 AM »
Thank you everyone for your contributions. I'm jumping pretty much into Whole30, with a commitment to ruling out exceptions by February 1st.

While variety isn't necessarily... necessary, I'm wondering what to do for breakfast. As mentioned earlier, I usually alternated between Greek yogurt smoothies and oatmeal, both of which are out. The last two days, I've had bacon and eggs. I can probably cut down to just eggs, but I do expect this to be boring. Maybe boring is OK and I can probably get through it, but are there any other good suggestions for high protein/fat breakfasts?

Also, yesterday, maybe one hour after breakfast, and after having some coffee, I had low blood sugar symptoms. Had some dates and nuts, which (pretty quickly) helped. This morning, I had an orange once I got to the office, and so far I'm feeling good.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »
"bullet-proofing" your coffee is a good way to get in extra healthy fats. There are a bunch of different ways you can do it, I ususally just add a spoonful of coconut oil and buzz it up with a hand blender (which makes it frothy, opposed to just melting it in which produces an oil slick) But you can add different oils, eggs if you want,  collagen to up the protein.

As far as breakfasts, making sure you get a good dose of veggies helps a lot as well. Also considering meals as 1, 2, 3 as opposed to "breakfast, lunch, dinner" help your brain with having non-breakfast foods for breakfasts. Leftovers, soups, etc.  if you type in "Whole 30 breakfast" into google you'll get tons of ideas :)

Be aware that the first couple of days can be miserable, "Carb Flu" is very real and sucky. It can also come across like low-blood sugar symptoms, so do make sure you have some quick energy foods with you all the time as your body is learning how to regulate itself. I would also highly suggest having a chat with your doc and getting some baselines before you begin.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »
How you make your eggs and how you top them opens up a whole world of options.

On scrambles:
-hot sauce
-salsa verde
-salsa rojo
-pesto (make sure it doesn't have cheese)
-pepper and onions roasted up, like for fajitas (even just leftover fajitas in general go great on eggs)

With hard boiled:
-bacon
-sausage
-prosciutto
-ham strips

Soft boiled:
-taste great with soy, so I imagine some coconut aminos would go well too

Crispy fried:
-great on top of meat patties. I'm partial to a "loco moco" style, with beef patty then egg topped with brown gravy- I do that more for dinner though

"Eggs in purgatory" https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/03/eggs-in-purgatory-puttanesca-style/ You can make ahead and reheat

Eggs go great on any roast veggies:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/carb-buster-breakfast/

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 08:06:24 AM »
make Socca chips - garbanzo bean chips

1 part garbanzo bean flour to one part water  - add more water to thin it out to make thinner chips
olive oil
seasonings

cook like pancakes on a griddle. -  while cooking the first side i like to put fresh cracked pepper on the still soft side to make blackpepper chips
4 mins per side at 350 on electric griddle - oiled

then put in oven at 250 to dehydrate.

break into chips

great protien with lower carbs to not effect blood sugar as much

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
Been "Whole30" pretty much since Jan 26/27.

Slipped up a little by not having enough snacks (any) for bowling and got a little bag of pretzels from a vending machine. Then we went out to eat: salmon, broccoli, french fries.
Monday, I had a lot of beef jerky; turns out it has soy, wheat and sugar in the flavoring.

Brain fog was present yesterday. It's overbearing today. I've accomplished very nearly nothing in 5 hours of being at work. Had a bit of a headache off and on. About an hour ago, I was a little dizzy, too. Ungh.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »
Been "Whole30" pretty much since Jan 26/27.

Slipped up a little by not having enough snacks (any) for bowling and got a little bag of pretzels from a vending machine. Then we went out to eat: salmon, broccoli, french fries.
Monday, I had a lot of beef jerky; turns out it has soy, wheat and sugar in the flavoring.

Brain fog was present yesterday. It's overbearing today. I've accomplished very nearly nothing in 5 hours of being at work. Had a bit of a headache off and on. About an hour ago, I was a little dizzy, too. Ungh.

At least the slip ups have served to show you this is pretty clearly diet related. That's a silver lining for sure! Answers. They're a good thing. Empowering =) Often scary, but almost always good.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2017, 12:27:32 PM »
Does the timing make sense on that? i.e. A few pretzels/wheat on Sunday and/or 2g of sugar on Monday leading to this level of brain fog on Wednesday?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2017, 12:36:22 PM »
Does the timing make sense on that? i.e. A few pretzels/wheat on Sunday and/or 2g of sugar on Monday leading to this level of brain fog on Wednesday?

Oooh, I didn't see that the jerky was Monday. Hmm. Hard to say. I don't know as much about the elimination diet reintroduction stuff. =\ I bet Swick would have more resources on that front.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 12:42:37 PM »

Oooh, I didn't see that the jerky was Monday. Hmm. Hard to say. I don't know as much about the elimination diet reintroduction stuff. =\ I bet Swick would have more resources on that front.

It totally depends on how sensitive you are. The brain fog can be a few different things, withdrawal from carbs and/or sugar. Even small amounts, when you are trying to wean yourself off of it can set you back, because your body/brain notices it and likes it and will do everything in it's power to get you to eat more of it. If you are super gluten sensitive, even small amounts (the pretzels) could cause brain fog for a couple of days.

If you are not eating enough non-grain carbs you can also get the brain fog. Have a banana or some sweet potato, see if that helps.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »
Had bananas yesterday. None with me here at work today. So far my diet today:

2 eggs (+ coconut oil)
cashews, walnuts, pistachios
dates
1 orange, 1 apple
strawberries, blueberries, grapes

Last night, I had chicken, zucchini, yellow squash (+ coconut oil, seasoning), plus some nuts and dates.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2017, 07:31:11 AM »
Starting to worry that I'm going to have to cut eggs from my diet. Day 19 of Whole 30. Day 19 of "Bathroom Woes." Yesterday, I had my usual 2 eggs for breakfast, plus 2 hard-boiled eggs in a lunchtime salad. Had some bloating/gas overnight into this morning. I haven't had bacon much lately, so I'm pretty sure that is not the culprit.

Yesterday:

Breakfast:
2 eggs, 3 slices of bacon (no coconut oil)

Lunch:
Lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, chicken, strawberries, bacon, oil/vinegar, 2 hard-boiled eggs

Snacks:
Prunes, dates, cashews, apple, banana, orange

Dinner:
Chicken

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »
Neo - it might be the coconut oil as well. It could be the eggs, but people usually take a couple of days to adjust to coconut oil.  Some people have a harder time tolerating it. I would try not using oil for a day or two, see if it gets better, if not then try the eggs.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 09:58:44 AM »
Well, as I said before, coconut oil isn't new for me. I'm probably getting more of it because of daily eggs, but it's definitely not new to my body. Most dinners (i.e. chicken) already got cooked with it before. And I sometimes use it in my brownies in place of vegetable oil. Maybe it's a problem, but since I had less than usual yesterday, but worse issues than usual, it seems odd that it would be the culprit. Thanks for the "oatmeal" recipe though - that promises some variety in breakfast, as well as a good way to skip eggs for a bit.

Thanks for your advice. Sorry if I'm a difficult, non-paying "client"!

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
Well, as I said before, coconut oil isn't new for me. I'm probably getting more of it because of daily eggs, but it's definitely not new to my body. Most dinners (i.e. chicken) already got cooked with it before. And I sometimes use it in my brownies in place of vegetable oil. Maybe it's a problem, but since I had less than usual yesterday, but worse issues than usual, it seems odd that it would be the culprit. Thanks for the "oatmeal" recipe though - that promises some variety in breakfast, as well as a good way to skip eggs for a bit.

Thanks for your advice. Sorry if I'm a difficult, non-paying "client"!

I think part of the problem is you are posting in two different threads so there is some information cross-over confusion :)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »
Instead of all eggs at breakfast, why not make stuff with quinoa? Maybe a chicken/quinoa/squash/almond bowl? High in protein and DELICIOUS!

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »
So you grill chicken (maybe not in coconut oil...) and put it in a salad with raw quinoa, squash and almond (sorry - I know very little about quinoa and squash)?

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2017, 08:19:30 PM »
Quinoa is an ancient grain high in protein. Fix it according to the directions on the package. Grill or stir fry vegetable in whatever oil you use. You could use any veggie you like but I like squash.
Put quinoa in dish, add cooked chicken and veggie. You can add some chopped nuts for fat and flavor. Add dried cranberries or dates or chopped dried fruit if you can eat those things.
I like to add a little vinaigrette dressing or balsamic vinegar, but that is optional.

It is full of protein, very filling, and since all your ingredients are real, not processed, you know what you are getting. I find that it gets me to lunch with no mid morning slump.

I know we have these ideas about breakfast, that it must be eggs, bacon, oatmeal, cereal, but eat whatever works for you. This morning I had leftover fried chicken. Unconventional, but it was tasty and it was protein.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:22:05 PM by CU Tiger »

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2017, 07:33:07 AM »
Are the prunes something you regularly eat, and just how many did you consume?  Seems like they might be a more likely culprit for gas than eggs.

A few years back I did a "detox" (yes, faddy, I know) that involved drinking a smoothie with protein powder each morning for breakfast.  The detox also prohibited bananas, so the smoothie was unlikely to be a huge sugar rush.  Things like berries, baby spinach, and almond butter were common ingredients.

I discovered that while I am not wild about drinking a cold smoothie in the middle of January (brrr!), the hit of protein really kept my energy up all morning.  Prior to that I had been eating oatmeal with nuts and raisins most mornings, and like you with your cereal and almond milk, crashing hard.  These days I do mostly eat eggs, with black or pinto beans, and vegetables.