Author Topic: December Vacation  (Read 5960 times)

Rekon

• Stubble
December Vacation
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:34:58 PM »
My wife just got a new job and she has a week off before she starts in December.  We were thinking of taking a vacation before she starts.  What's a good place to visit in December?  We currently live in Los Angeles. 

We prefer to stay in the Country because both of us don't have passports and don't want to pay the expedite fees.

edit:  we are open to any state/climate - outside of CA - we've only been to FL

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: December Vacation
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:26:05 PM »
do you like skiing or snowshoeing?  If so I'm a big fan of going up to Kings Canyon or around the giant sequia grove and snowshoe/cross-country ski.  Compared to the summer it's practically deserted in December, and you can have your choice of lodging - from a cozy cabin in the woods to hotel/motels to full camping. 
It's about 6 hours north of L.A.

Rekon

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:53:16 PM »
do you like skiing or snowshoeing?  If so I'm a big fan of going up to Kings Canyon or around the giant sequia grove and snowshoe/cross-country ski.  Compared to the summer it's practically deserted in December, and you can have your choice of lodging - from a cozy cabin in the woods to hotel/motels to full camping. 

That sounds like fun but is there snow there around this time of year? 

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »
If you're a Christmas lover (lights/decorations) then it would be hard to beat NYC. Won't be cheap though.

Rekon

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 08:59:28 PM »
I have AA miles to get to NY but your right it will be pricey.  Hotels food etc.  Although I read on here that someone saved a lot by staying in Harlem.

ClaycordJCA

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:59:01 PM »
Chronicle outdoors writer had Avery recent article about availability during the week in Tahoe and Yosemite if you can go before the schools get out. Consider SF, wine country or north coast as other places to see.  Ever done a long distance train trip?  We took Amtrak to Denver from the Bay Area - get a sleeper and all meals are included. Ever been to New Orleans?  Train goes right from LA. See the country, followed by Jazz and a plane ride home.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »
I would spend it camping in the Redwoods.  The total mental rest before a new job.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 01:15:37 PM »
With enough money you have plenty of options even in December and in US. If you are a skier then there should already be snow in the higher resorts in the Rockies. If not I'd go South to place like South Florida or Hawaii. The latter would probably be my choice if I were living in LA.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
I usually travel abroad but recently spent time in Florida and LOVED it!

Stayed in Islamorada in the keys - a couple nights on a boat booked on airBnB and then a couple nights in a clean but super cheap motel (the Key Lantern).   This was next to the Lorelei bar (the place for 1.25 drafts at happy hour, live bands, sunset, and talking to the locals).  Went fishing, snorkeling, SUP, key west.  Then headed up to Weeki Watchee near Tampa and saw the mermaid show, kayaked the river, and snorkelled with manatees.   Also spent a couple days in the Everglades.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »

That sounds like fun but is there snow there around this time of year?

Sorry - traveling.  There will be snow by late December, and there is already snow at the higher elevations. Pay attention to the park web sites and carry chains with you (required) - some of my most memorable days there have been in the weeks just before Christmas, when crowds were light, the snow was fresh and everything was cheap.

Kansas Beachbum

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 01:58:01 PM »
If you want "warm", you could fly to Ft Lauderdale, rent a car and drive to Key West.  Really pretty drive, the last half anyway, and the Keys are fun.  You can party and listen to music if that's your thing, or chill on the beach and do eco tours if that's more your speed.  We tend to do a little of both.  Have fun, and congrats on the new job!

Kansas Beachbum

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 02:04:49 PM »
If you go to the Keys, the Continental Inn in Marathon (45 miles before Key West) is nice, affordable.  It's condo units, not a hotel, so you have more space and a full kitchen to prepare meals.  They have BBQ grills on the beach with picnic tables to sit and eat.  Very nice, less expensive than staying in Key West, but close enough to run down there for the day (about an hour drive).  Not much night life in Marathon (some, but not like Key West), so if that's your thing you might want to just stay in Key West, at least for a night or two...an hour back to Marathon after a day in Key West's finest drinking establishments is not a particularly good idea :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!