Author Topic: Deals on lactaid?? It's so expensive!  (Read 8341 times)

natb2347

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Deals on lactaid?? It's so expensive!
« on: February 19, 2017, 05:49:45 AM »
My husband relies on lactaid FAST ACT daily. I have searched to find a way to buy it in bulk and save money. Right now he gets it at CVS for 120 capsules for 20$. Does anyone know where to find the FAST ACT lactaid any cheaper?  This is like an extra bill every month :(

Giving up/cutting back on dairy isn't going to happen with him.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Deals on lactaid?? It's so expensive!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:33:32 AM »
Have you tried Costco? You don't have to be a member to use the pharmacy. They also do special orders, so ask if you don't see it. Oh, here it is:

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Fast-Acting-Lactase,-180-Caplets.product.100016086.html

Their prices on generics are terrific, but if DH doesn't care for the generic, the savings on brand name products is usually substantial.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:14:54 AM »
I don't have a lot of good advice, sorry! I'm also a user of lactaid (although much more infrequently). I use the generic brand from CVS. However, 120 capsules is a lot, and $20 isn't a bad price for that I don't think-- but it sounds like Diane C might have already found a better one, ha!
120 tablets is 40 days if he eats dairy 3x a day. I know you said he won't reduce dairy, but even just not having it with breakfast would stretch that out a lot.
Try almond or soy milk?

skinnyindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »
The more he takes the more he needs because the body will make less because it isn't forced to make it.  I use probotics or ginger (Costco sells a great ginger lemonade).  Rarely I will use the Costco enzymes.  My brother uses antacid. 

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:55:55 AM »
The more he takes the more he needs because the body will make less because it isn't forced to make it.  I use probotics or ginger (Costco sells a great ginger lemonade).  Rarely I will use the Costco enzymes.  My brother uses antacid.
That's not how lactose intolerance works.

natb2347

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 09:46:09 AM »
Thanks everyone! We found the Kirkland brand on Amazon (the nearest Costco to us is 20 miles away!) and it looks like a much better deal at 2 boxes of 180 pills per box for $40ish. Still pricey but the husband is willing to try it since it gets good reviews from Lactaid users on there.

prettypaperwork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »
If you do wind up at Costco, load up on them because they are cheaper in store ($13 or $16 per box, it has been a while since I bought some).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
I'm going to Costco today. (Dog help me on a holiday, oy!) I'll check the price for you and report back.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
It's $14.99 at my Costco. Never seems to go on sale, but I've never found it cheaper, even with coupon stacking at Target or Walgreens.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 07:07:51 PM »
I know you said that him getting off dairy is not going to happen.

Getting off all dairy was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I became allergic to casein after I had my daughter.

But what I can tell you it has been amazing to be off ALL dairy for years. I was able to heal my eyes and no longer need glasses or the cost of a eye doctor at all. And I just feel better in general.

I would start with buying things like crackers and bread sans milk. And maybe start switching over to almond milk and coconut ice cream. Start very small and see if in time you can get rid of the cost of the lactaid pills. It cannot be good for ones system to always be taking those things IMO.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 09:59:41 PM »
$14.99 at Costco in Concord, CA. Probably the same price in most, if not all, of CA.

Sorry, who knows which way the photo will attach? It was right side up when I saved it, but they tend to turn lately and I have no idea why.

ETA: Of course, it's upside down. That's for my friends Down Under.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:32:39 PM »
If he's willing to drink kefir instead of straight milk, that is an option. It would only cost <$10 one-time, to buy the grains. I am lactose intolerant, and got used to drinking kefir (sometimes drinking it directly, mostly making it into smoothies). The bacteria ferment the lactose before you drink it so it's a safe substitute. They may also pass through your gut and ferment lactose from other dietary sources.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 01:03:31 PM »
How intolerant is he? For example, I am ok with yogurt and cheese, but I have to take the pills if I want to take a glass of milk or a good bowl of ice cream. I've tested out my tolerance and I've reduced greatly my usage of pills by seeing whether or not I have symptoms, instead of blindly taking the pills. I also used to over-do it in order to be 100% sure of not having symptoms. Now I seldom use the pills.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 01:08:17 PM »
Not a doctor, but I don't understand why your husband needs lactaid so often?

Lactaid is for lactose intolerant folk who, on occaision, need to eat something they are not "supposed to".  I do not believe it's something you take daily.

I am lactose intolerant and take lactaid (target's version) before eating cow cheese or ice cream.  Period.

Yogurt does not bother me, nor does "no lactose" milk (everyone is different).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:11:18 PM by frugaliknowit »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 01:16:58 PM »
If he isn't making an effort to monitor his diet and avoid dairy, then I have no problem understanding why he needs to take Lactaid all the time. Unless you are cooking your own food or reading labels and shopping at Trader Joe's it is VERY hard to avoid dairy. It is in practically every process food, even things you would never expect like granola or chips.

I developed severe lactose intolerance in my mid/late twenties. I know there is a large spectrum of intolerance with some people being able to eat cheese, but not drink milk, or be okay with goat's milk cheese but not cow's milk cheese. I was on the extreme end of the spectrum where unless it was dairy free or certified (printed on the label) "lactose free", it caused me problems. I actually had a cheese person in a fancy grocery store argue with me about how I should be able to eat some hard, aged cheese even though it didn't say "lactose-free" since that is what she had learned at her cheese school. "Thanks, lady, but I can guarantee you from experience that I can't eat that, and if I do, it won't be you suffering the consequences.".

Oddly enough, giving birth and nursing my baby changed my body again to allow me to consume some dairy again, though I am still very aware of where it is. I also don't expect this new love affair with cheese to last forever.

TrMama

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 01:38:25 PM »
I know you said that him getting off dairy is not going to happen.

Getting off all dairy was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I became allergic to casein after I had my daughter.

But what I can tell you it has been amazing to be off ALL dairy for years. I was able to heal my eyes and no longer need glasses or the cost of a eye doctor at all. And I just feel better in general.

I would start with buying things like crackers and bread sans milk. And maybe start switching over to almond milk and coconut ice cream. Start very small and see if in time you can get rid of the cost of the lactaid pills. It cannot be good for ones system to always be taking those things IMO.

We cut dairy out of our diet when we realized our 7yo had become intolerant. I found the idea of cutting out dairy to be much more difficult than the actual practice. Yes, the first month or two was an adjustment, but it's been over a year now and it's not difficult anymore.

Generally, I find we eat way better simply because we cannot eat many processed foods. Of the processed foods we can eat, we generally have to buy the more "whole food" version. For example, most granola bars are out, but she can eat most flavours of Larabars, which seem to have less preservatives and concentrated sugars than the ones marketed to kids.

Also, the Coconut Bliss ice creams are freaking delicious. I won't even eat regular ice cream anymore. Ditto for Silver Hills bread and a few other products.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 01:43:30 PM »
Generally, I find we eat way better simply because we cannot eat many processed foods.

Agreed. There is mysterious dairy in so many things, especially since lactose is often used as a filler. One of the more enduring tragedies in my life is that Hint of Line tortilla chips have...whey in them. Why, why?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!