Author Topic: Dealing with a know-it-all coworker  (Read 41345 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Dealing with a know-it-all coworker
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2019, 12:55:45 PM »
If you have an outside consultant come in, you MUST be the one working with that consultant, hiring, paying the bill, determining the content of the speech, etc.  Please make sure your boss understands that in order for you not to be undermined, an outside expert must appear to be reporting to you and explaining things FOR YOU, not coming in to explain things TO YOU and others. 

Just the way the consultant works and refers to you will make a huge difference. 

"Frugal Nacho asked me to come in to explain to you the importance of not overburdening the safety system with false reports" and "As FrugalNacho has explained..."
vs.
The company wants you all to know what is a real safety concern vs. what isn't...(because apparently FrugalNacho doesn't know everything)

Also, isn't it a liability to the company when a report is filed that has nothing to do with the company?  Wouldn't that make you liable for the employee's future groin issues?

Oh for sure the consultant will be working with me and not her.  I am cutting her out as much as possible.  In fact I'm officially of the opinion that she is dangerous and incompetent and should be fired.

Also not sure what you mean by filing a report that has nothing to do with the company.  He was on the clock at work lifting a part to work on it when he pulled his groin. So yes the company may be liable, but it would appear legitimately.  My bigger concern is that he thought it was no big deal, but several days later it developed into a big deal and tries to get the company to cover it at that point, and the company is like "what? why didn't you report an injury when it happened?" which is a scenario I've seen play out multiple times before.  He did the right thing by notifying me, and the company did the right thing by making a record of it.  I'd prefer he came directly to me or his supervisor instead of safety Sandy though. 

I am not opposed to having a system in place where people can report minor non-injuries, near misses, or safety concerns.  In fact I think it would be a good thing.  I am opposed to having safety sandy create the form or have much of a hand in it at all.  I told her to go ahead and write up an incident report since she was insistent, but that was mostly to get her out of my hair and not me officially condoning her to be running the incident reporting of our safety program.  She's really, really incompetent.  I don't want to take on the whole burden myself, but having her involved will do more harm than good.  I am also opposed to her fear mongering and telling the employees that these incidents are OSHA reportable/recordable (they are not) and that the company is going to be fined if/when OSHA finds out (not true).  I also think it's a bit of a burden at the moment seeing as how we are still lacking official safety policies.  Like what good is an incident report about someone not following an official safety policy, when we don't even have an official safety policy in place for that particular area? I guess it could bring attention to that fact, but this isn't a case where we aren't aware of the deficiency, we know it's there and we are actively trying to correct it already. And for things like the 8 ounces of water next to the eyewash station that no one is claiming responsibility for...what is even the point of creating an incident report for that? What possible corrective action could we institute for such a trivial non-issue? 

At this point I'm not really seeking advice on how to deal with her.  I realize I am more towards the introverted/engineer end of the spectrum and I'm not great at dealing with people, but she is a whole different type of beast.  I'm not sure that me reading some books on how to manage and deal with people, or learning new techniques to deal with people is going to help.  I mean did you read the part of the story where she dismissed a medical doctor's diagnosis of arthritis and diagnosed the guy with skeletosis?  How the fuck do you deal with someone that's not only that stupid, but that arrogant and brazen? 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2019, 01:01:22 PM »

At this point I'm not really seeking advice on how to deal with her.  I realize I am more towards the introverted/engineer end of the spectrum and I'm not great at dealing with people, but she is a whole different type of beast.  I'm not sure that me reading some books on how to manage and deal with people, or learning new techniques to deal with people is going to help.  I mean did you read the part of the story where she dismissed a medical doctor's diagnosis of arthritis and diagnosed the guy with skeletosis?  How the fuck do you deal with someone that's not only that stupid, but that arrogant and brazen?

Yeah, honestly, I wouldn't even bother addressing that part of her crazy.  Because others will notice it soon enough if not already.  I think you just have to make it through the early days without getting people to dig their heels in to support safety Sandy. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2019, 01:14:14 PM »
I work for a large corporate company (30k employees). Previous employer was a 100k employee company. We are/were ALL required to fill out at least 2 incident reports a year as a commitment to safety (architecture/engineering consulting companies) at both companies. Anyone has the authority and responsibility to stop work for anything unsafe (mainly applies to construction sites). Near misses are also reported. So while she may be overdoing this, i wouldn’t see it as she has no right to do that based on my experience. She just needs training. She is trying to do a good thing but because she is clueless, she is overdoing it. If the company really doesn’t want her to do this, they need to make it clear to her. It shouldn’t be up to you (you are not her manager) to argue with her about everything. She is pushing back because it is very likely that she thinks you are overstepping (as not her manager). This really needs to be cleared up by higher ups. Otherwise it will just be a battle for both of you every day.

I was thinking somewhere on the internet there's a random forum with a thread on it OP'd by some lady who has a male co-worker who is "obsessed with everything I do and follows me around and nitpick and tries to hold me back at every turn...clearly he's jealous of my rapid rise in the company".  Not saying that's what actually is happening, just thinking it would be funny to read the other side's perspective of the situation.  Wonder what she'd do if she found out she had three pages devoted to her daily antics?

Ha, I think about this too.  I bet she bitches about me outside of work.  I do think it's a bit of a different situation other than simply a "he said, she said" type of deal.  At least I'm beginning to get outside confirmation from other people that she's an idiot. Her stupidity is giving me skeletosis.

I wonder if skeletosis is related to boneitis?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3uk5bJcyM8
Or maybe he has a case of "bonus eruptus"?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqbQzmHOLP8

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2019, 05:03:22 PM »
SKL-HOU, she has an unrelated position and hasn't held any recent job for more than 6 months. She is way over her skis.

OP, sounds like you are committed to this company in the medium-term. I wouldn't assume she is getting fired though based on what you are explaining about your company and management. Be careful, she could end up being your manager! (semi-kdding...)

Yes she has an unrelated position but what I was saying was so do i and majority of the people in the 2 companies i mentioned but we were ALL responsible for safety. Safety is a culture, it is the responsibility of everyone.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »
SKL-HOU, she has an unrelated position and hasn't held any recent job for more than 6 months. She is way over her skis.

OP, sounds like you are committed to this company in the medium-term. I wouldn't assume she is getting fired though based on what you are explaining about your company and management. Be careful, she could end up being your manager! (semi-kdding...)

Yes she has an unrelated position but what I was saying was so do i and majority of the people in the 2 companies i mentioned but we were ALL responsible for safety. Safety is a culture, it is the responsibility of everyone.

Yeah I'm in oil and gas as well and it's the same way. Safety is #1 by a country mile and we're all expected to do safety observations and make safety contributions on a continual basis.  Doesn't matter whether your a maintenance tech, engineer, or a janitor.

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2019, 06:26:37 PM »

Yeah I'm in oil and gas as well and it's the same way. Safety is #1 by a country mile and we're all expected to do safety observations and make safety contributions on a continual basis.  Doesn't matter whether your a maintenance tech, engineer, or a janitor.

I totally agree. But if what OP is saying is true this is not about being aware, it is about being completely nuts.
OP, I would think about this as an opportunity to write a comic series about safety sandy.
It might be even used as an educational material like those about harasment education which you get in some companies.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2019, 03:24:13 PM »
Yea I want everyone to participate and take safety seriously, but she's certifiably crazy.  And beyond being crazy she's really, really stupid, but doesn't have any awareness of how stupid she is.  She's a great example of the dunning Kruger effect.

I believe I've figured out what "skeletosis" is supposed to be. Based on what she described I'm fairly confident that she read about skeletal fluorosis and just mashed the words up into skeletosis. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletal_fluorosis

It's laughable to me to think you just go online and do some research into a subject, and suddenly know enough to diagnose someone with a disease, especially when you can't even properly remember the name of the disease.

It's also super scary to me to have someone like that on our staff. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:16:12 PM by frugalnacho »

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2019, 02:47:33 PM »
I'm so glad that others like the plant & finance managers as well as HR are finding that long term EXPOSURE to her stupidity is causing them a nasty case of frustration.  I expect they're starting to push her on her way to her next fascinating job annoying a new set of co-workers.  Although it seems like she's working up to a Workers Comp claim about ear aches from soot so that may drag things out a bit (with the minor advantage that she'll be out of the office for a bit).

Glad to hear you are documenting everything.  Don't want this to be anything but a short term annoyance in your life.  Thankfully, it could draw you & your boss, the plant manager, closer as you work to protect the company from Le Idiot.

It's unethical but wouldn't it be nice if some co-workers overheard, completely without your foreknowledge or enjoyment, you & your boss talking about Safety Sandy's actions requiring the hiring of the consultant?  Once that tidbit got around the building, it'd undercut any standing she has with the work force as they realize SHE'S the reason the dreaded and expensive consultant is coming to town.  Just a pleasant daydream but it does so warm the heart to think of. :)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »
I got confirmation that she is the one that ordered the biohazard bags and is instructing the paint booth to use them for anything that she deems hazardous.  I'm pretty sure all the stuff she is having them put into the bio bags is not even hazardous waste and can just go with the regular trash, so she's double wrong.

She is also now instructing the lab that they need to be using "hazardous waste bags" (she means the biohazard bags) for a number of things.  There is now a biohazard trash bag set up in the lab.

I feel like these are battles I don't want to even fight.  If I attempt to correct this I am going to get a ton of back sass from her, and from all the minions she is instructing.  It's just going to be a headache for me. We should be having a consultant come in some time in the next week or so I think, so it will probably be easier for me to just focus on my other job duties and let this issue get sorted out once the consultant is here.  My boss is aware of the biohazard bags in the paint booth and his response was basically the same as mine: "wtf is she talking about? none of that stuff is a biohazard."  I don't think he wants the headache of correcting her either.

I think once the consultant comes in and sets the record straight on a number of items I am going to make a formal request to my manager that safety sandy be barred from ANYTHING environmental, health, or safety related.  I would like her to have exactly zero authority or discretion on anything.  If someone asks her opinion on hazardous waste, or PPE, or anything related I would like her to refer them to me, or face disciplinary measures if she dispenses advice or attempts to take care of the situation on her own, no matter how well intentioned she is or if she even happens to be correct in that instance.  Basically formally define her job duties, but specifically state that she is not to have a hand in safety or environmental at all because she has been so wrong about so many things and it's becoming quite the issue.  I think that sounds reasonable to me.  Ideally I would prefer she is fired. 

It sounds like they are having inventory issues with her too, but I have no idea exactly what the issue is, or if it's her fault or what.  More of that will be coming to light over the next week or so as they check into it and complete an inventory.  I'm unsure if this was a result of me talking to my boss several times and pointing out her lack of attention to detail, and basic wrongness in so many areas, or if they found a problem with the inventory independent of that.  I did mention to him that literally everything I've reviewed from her has been abysmal, and if I were him I would have someone check into whatever it is that she is doing on a daily basis because she is so incompetent.  Sure enough a couple of days later and there is some kind of inventory issue and everyone involved has to stay late on Thursday to figure it out (thankfully this one is not my problem!).  I'm secretly hoping that she has fucked up something major enough to get her fired.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: October 30, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
I got confirmation that she is the one that ordered the biohazard bags and is instructing the paint booth to use them for anything that she deems hazardous.  I'm pretty sure all the stuff she is having them put into the bio bags is not even hazardous waste and can just go with the regular trash, so she's double wrong.

She is also now instructing the lab that they need to be using "hazardous waste bags" (she means the biohazard bags) for a number of things.  There is now a biohazard trash bag set up in the lab.

I feel like these are battles I don't want to even fight.  If I attempt to correct this I am going to get a ton of back sass from her, and from all the minions she is instructing.  It's just going to be a headache for me. We should be having a consultant come in some time in the next week or so I think, so it will probably be easier for me to just focus on my other job duties and let this issue get sorted out once the consultant is here.  My boss is aware of the biohazard bags in the paint booth and his response was basically the same as mine: "wtf is she talking about? none of that stuff is a biohazard."  I don't think he wants the headache of correcting her either.

I think once the consultant comes in and sets the record straight on a number of items I am going to make a formal request to my manager that safety sandy be barred from ANYTHING environmental, health, or safety related.  I would like her to have exactly zero authority or discretion on anything.  If someone asks her opinion on hazardous waste, or PPE, or anything related I would like her to refer them to me, or face disciplinary measures if she dispenses advice or attempts to take care of the situation on her own, no matter how well intentioned she is or if she even happens to be correct in that instance.  Basically formally define her job duties, but specifically state that she is not to have a hand in safety or environmental at all because she has been so wrong about so many things and it's becoming quite the issue.  I think that sounds reasonable to me.  Ideally I would prefer she is fired. 

It sounds like they are having inventory issues with her too, but I have no idea exactly what the issue is, or if it's her fault or what.  More of that will be coming to light over the next week or so as they check into it and complete an inventory.  I'm unsure if this was a result of me talking to my boss several times and pointing out her lack of attention to detail, and basic wrongness in so many areas, or if they found a problem with the inventory independent of that.  I did mention to him that literally everything I've reviewed from her has been abysmal, and if I were him I would have someone check into whatever it is that she is doing on a daily basis because she is so incompetent.  Sure enough a couple of days later and there is some kind of inventory issue and everyone involved has to stay late on Thursday to figure it out (thankfully this one is not my problem!).  I'm secretly hoping that she has fucked up something major enough to get her fired.

She sounds like she absolutely needs to be ring-fenced, and quickly.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: November 13, 2019, 01:11:19 PM »
She has largely been out of my hair the past couple of weeks.  She's been occupied by some other things unrelated to my department, so I haven't had much contact with her outside of just saying good morning and what not, which has been nice.  She does seem to be inserting herself into some other areas though, which I am finding humorous.  There was a quality issue with one of the parts, so she has been inserting herself into it to try and figure it out.  Between the platers, painters, and quality department involved on this part they have collectively well over 100 years of experience, and she has literally none.  She's never worked as a plater, a painter, or as a quality control inspector for anything, let alone on aerospace parts, and also has absolutely no background in the chemistry (and it shows) yet she is inserting herself to figure out the problem.  Not my problem, but it's hilarious to me when I see her spinning her wheels knowing she is woefully unqualified to be doing so.  At least I can just have a good laugh, and move on with my own business.  I'm tempted to step in and warn others, but I'd rather just sit back and give her some proverbial rope. 

Another thing I find hilarious: We hired a new lab tech and she has been reading over the methods and going back and forth with him, I'm not exactly sure about what because I'm reluctant to get involved with anything she's doing, but she keeps referring to an ASTM method as "Amsterdam".  I don't think she knows what ASTM is and is just referring to it as amsterdam. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2019, 01:16:40 PM »
She has largely been out of my hair the past couple of weeks.  She's been occupied by some other things unrelated to my department, so I haven't had much contact with her outside of just saying good morning and what not, which has been nice.  She does seem to be inserting herself into some other areas though, which I am finding humorous.  There was a quality issue with one of the parts, so she has been inserting herself into it to try and figure it out.  Between the platers, painters, and quality department involved on this part they have collectively well over 100 years of experience, and she has literally none.  She's never worked as a plater, a painter, or as a quality control inspector for anything, let alone on aerospace parts, and also has absolutely no background in the chemistry (and it shows) yet she is inserting herself to figure out the problem.  Not my problem, but it's hilarious to me when I see her spinning her wheels knowing she is woefully unqualified to be doing so.  At least I can just have a good laugh, and move on with my own business.  I'm tempted to step in and warn others, but I'd rather just sit back and give her some proverbial rope. 

Another thing I find hilarious: We hired a new lab tech and she has been reading over the methods and going back and forth with him, I'm not exactly sure about what because I'm reluctant to get involved with anything she's doing, but she keeps referring to an ASTM method as "Amsterdam".  I don't think she knows what ASTM is and is just referring to it as amsterdam.

It sounds like in no time, many more people in your company will be fed up with her. Grab the pop corn and keep enjoying yourself. At least she is not involved in your business anymore for the time being.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2019, 01:28:43 PM »
I don't think she knows what ASTM is and is just referring to it as amsterdam.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Maybe that's where Eeee-puh is headquartered?  ;-)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2019, 01:56:57 PM »
Yea that's what I was thinking. :)

After she left I spoke to the lab manager about whatever methods she was talking about because I feel very uncomfortable about her having access to change any methods.  Turns out the issue was that the SOP said that the last step after the titration the indicator would turn green, when it in fact turns blue, so she was allowed to update our SOP to correct the color, but nothing else.  I still don't understand why the new lab tech would report this to her instead of the lab manager, or literally anyone else.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2019, 09:28:49 PM »
I don't think she knows what ASTM is and is just referring to it as amsterdam.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Maybe that's where Eeee-puh is headquartered?  ;-)

Thanks for the belly laugh!!!!

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #165 on: November 14, 2019, 06:51:43 PM »
Why is she even being asked her opinion ?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: November 14, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »

I think it's the way she carries herself.  She has absolute confidence and an answer for everything.  She struts around like she knows everything and presents herself as being very knowledgeable about a wide range of topics (everything). She sounds so confident that you assume she is competent and knows what she is talking about.  My first impression of her was exactly that. My first week on the job I assumed she had years of experience at the company, even though she had just started 1 week prior to me.  It's only after you start interacting with her that you start to realize it's all a facade and she's actually an idiot. Some of the dumber employees haven't gotten to that realization yet, probably because they are dumb.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2019, 10:01:29 AM »
Let me start by saying that I feel like I would hate your coworker.

But you're not going to change her fundamental personality, so you just have to decide how you'll respond.

If she is 90 percent correct in her presentations and the 10 percent that she's incorrect about involves using the wrong terms or acronyms, then who cares? Stop correcting her. It's rude to correct someone during an oral presentation and no one is going to spray acid into their eyes just because someone used the wrong acronym.

In fact, why don't you recommend sending her for additional safety training to brush up on her skills? Some of her information is dated and these safety presentations seem like something that plays to her strength. So empower her to do them properly - not by interrupting her or embarrassing her, but by improving her skills.

The other stuff is "pick your battles" stuff. Again, using the wrong term to describe a bag (but a term that still gets the meaning across), and recommending too much stuff gets put into the bag (rather than too little - which would be dangerous) is not a problem. Additional training in this area will likely eliminate these types of issues. But the training can't come from you - send her to a training that gets her a fancy certificate. Make sure she renews her training regularly.

You're focusing on her weakness: She has a super annoying personality trait - she does not have mastery over a subject area but is able to project credibility. This particularly annoys you because you have mastery over the subject area, but not the same confidence to project credibility.

If you focus on her strengths: She is confident and appears credible, which makes her a great trainer and presenter. Empower her with mastery over the subject area, and she could fit this safety role very well.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2019, 11:19:02 AM »
Let me start by saying that I feel like I would hate your coworker.

But you're not going to change her fundamental personality, so you just have to decide how you'll respond.

If she is 90 percent correct in her presentations and the 10 percent that she's incorrect about involves using the wrong terms or acronyms, then who cares? Stop correcting her. It's rude to correct someone during an oral presentation and no one is going to spray acid into their eyes just because someone used the wrong acronym.

In fact, why don't you recommend sending her for additional safety training to brush up on her skills? Some of her information is dated and these safety presentations seem like something that plays to her strength. So empower her to do them properly - not by interrupting her or embarrassing her, but by improving her skills.

The other stuff is "pick your battles" stuff. Again, using the wrong term to describe a bag (but a term that still gets the meaning across), and recommending too much stuff gets put into the bag (rather than too little - which would be dangerous) is not a problem. Additional training in this area will likely eliminate these types of issues. But the training can't come from you - send her to a training that gets her a fancy certificate. Make sure she renews her training regularly.

You're focusing on her weakness: She has a super annoying personality trait - she does not have mastery over a subject area but is able to project credibility. This particularly annoys you because you have mastery over the subject area, but not the same confidence to project credibility.

If you focus on her strengths: She is confident and appears credible, which makes her a great trainer and presenter. Empower her with mastery over the subject area, and she could fit this safety role very well.

I've reassessed and I think she is less than 90% correct.  It doesn't matter because her safety training has been shut down. I don't want to send her for additional training because I don't want her involved in anything I do, and I think it would be dangerous to have her in charge of anything safety related.  Sure some of may be harmless, until it's not.  I also don't think additional training will help because she is just an idiot.  Even with subjects that she does have the proper training in she is conflating different ideas and systems, is unable to perform necessary calculations,  and can't even understand the underlying principles (such as not understanding how our engineering controls are working effectively). 

Using the wrong term on a bag is a big deal.  It's not a matter of employees getting the gist of it, it's a matter of federal regulations.  Things are supposed to be labeled and disposed of properly.  We've already been dinged by the state authorities with regards to numerous hazardous waste violations (before I started), and they will be coming back at some point to check on us. I don't know that her using bio waste bags will get us fined, but it's certainly going to make the regulator think we don't know what we are doing and invite more scrutiny.  It may also cause a problem with our garbage disposal services, which is an easily avoidable headache by just not allowing her to have a hand in anything.

I lack her level of confidence because I by no means have complete mastery over all subjects.  I have a wide range of job responsibilities, and some of them I have a lot of experience/confidence with, and others I have very little experience with.    I have some experience with safety, but not enough that I would say I am qualified to be the sole safety person of a plant, especially this one since they don't have much of a program in place.  I would say I still need the help of a safety consultant and industrial hygienist to get everything fully on track, and then I can probably handle it from there.  I would consider myself light years ahead of safety sandy though.

We are still in the process of constructing another area of the plant.  The topic of installing safety showers and eyewashes came up.  She was talking to another employee yesterday, but I overheard her conversation.  She was telling the employee that if we install a plumbed eyewash station that we are going to need to get a DI water unit to supply it with because you can't use city water in your eyes because it reacts with the chemicals.  It's fucking potable water from the same source that my house water comes from.  I bathe in it, and I drink it every day.  It's just potable water! For some chemistry applications you use DI water instead of tap water because you don't want some minor impurities affecting the chemistry, but we aren't talking about plating bath chemistry or atomic absorption spectrometry, we are talking about rinsing a chemical out of your eye.  Does she seriously think all plumbed showers and eyewashes are hooked up to DI units and not just regular tap water?

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but she said the exact same thing about a minor spill we had a few months back.  She went ape shit and was absolutely adamant that only DI water be used to clean the spill up (we used hose water anyway) because you have no idea what the reaction will be if you use regular tap water.  I think maybe she read on an SDS or in one of the methods or something that you should use DI water (for technical reasons) and has just drawn the broad conclusion that the chemical is incompatible or reactive with tap water, then from there just made the assumption that all chemicals are incompatible with tap water.  That's my best guess at least

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2019, 02:08:22 PM »

I think it's the way she carries herself.  She has absolute confidence and an answer for everything.  She struts around like she knows everything and presents herself as being very knowledgeable about a wide range of topics (everything). She sounds so confident that you assume she is competent and knows what she is talking about.  My first impression of her was exactly that. My first week on the job I assumed she had years of experience at the company, even though she had just started 1 week prior to me.  It's only after you start interacting with her that you start to realize it's all a facade and she's actually an idiot. Some of the dumber employees haven't gotten to that realization yet, probably because they are dumb.
Gosh, I have a similar coworker.  Not completely stupid, but lazy and walks and talks with utter confidence.  Because of that, was saved by the bosses 2x when supervisor put him on the layoff list.

Eventually he got promoted OUT of the job where he could do real damage.  Now everyone talks about how great he is, how he's found his niche in project management (yeah, everyone else is thrilled that he was rewarded for sucking!)  Basically, he's loud and pushy and annoying, and he's successful because everyone else will do ANYTHING to shut him up and get him to go away.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2019, 05:39:36 PM »
Some people are so sure they know everything, they have no capacity to learn that they don't.  Some are actually very insecure and go to extremes to hide it.  Sometimes, they DO need to be called out in a very direct. non-emotional way and confronted with their nonsense.  The fact that this woman gets flustered when challenged tells me that she knows she's BSing.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2019, 06:07:23 PM »
I referred to co-workers like this as 'know nothing know it all's'. We had one that was guaranteed to make every meeting half an hour longer as he would argue over minor issues and what if scenarios.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2019, 12:30:34 AM »
I referred to co-workers like this as 'know nothing know it all's'. We had one that was guaranteed to make every meeting half an hour longer as he would argue over minor issues and what if scenarios.

I still have such a coworker currently. One and a half month to go until I don't need to work with that guy any more...

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2019, 10:05:44 AM »
For the benefit of others be sure to weave into conversation any time her name is mentioned, "sally-the-data-entry-clerk".  Say it as if the phrase were one word.  That might help others who think of her as a "safety expert" or "xxx expert" to know who they are dealing with.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2019, 06:23:28 AM »
@frugalnacho this sounds totally awful.  I've worked in enough plants and have enough safety knowledge to understand what you as saying and the level of ineptness is staggering.  In your shoes I would be more concerned that you seem to be the only one who can see it for what it is, which seems to point to the staggering level of lack of safety knowledge in your general workforce.  It just seems a bit like desperation for someone to take control of this and since she has stepped up, they grasped on like a drowning man to a twig.  The twig is too small to save you from drowning, but when you do not know any better it looks like a catamaran taking you to a Tahiti.  This seems to be a bit like what you were facing.  It is good they finally removed her but my guess is she will find a new niche to be an expert in that may also have similar results because the root cause of the problem does not seem to be Safety Sandy, but perhaps organizational incompetence.  Hope I am misreading.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: November 20, 2019, 07:32:05 AM »
I just overheard her talking with a lab tech.  I have no idea of the context as I couldn't hear what the lab tech was saying, I just heard her talking about using deionized water and using alkaline water.   She said she mixes them to get the benefits of each.  I have no idea what they were discussing, but I am very curious what application you would use deionized water and mix it with ionized water, and how the addition of ionized alkaline water wouldn't negate the entire purpose of using DI in the first place.  I dare not ask for fear of being "schooled" in some weird alchemy, but now I'm genuinely curious wtf she was talking about.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: November 20, 2019, 08:24:14 AM »
Your story reminded me of a recent story where Gwenyth Paltrow is in some promotional deal with an alkaline water company. Which, don't even get me started, BUT the ABSOLUTE BEST PART was....

She recommends drinking said alkaline water with a spritz of lemon juice.

And that's why we need better science funding in schools, people.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: November 20, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »
I just overheard her talking with a lab tech.  I have no idea of the context as I couldn't hear what the lab tech was saying, I just heard her talking about using deionized water and using alkaline water.   She said she mixes them to get the benefits of each.  I have no idea what they were discussing, but I am very curious what application you would use deionized water and mix it with ionized water, and how the addition of ionized alkaline water wouldn't negate the entire purpose of using DI in the first place.  I dare not ask for fear of being "schooled" in some weird alchemy, but now I'm genuinely curious wtf she was talking about.

She needs electrolytes, it’s what she craves.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2019, 08:57:02 AM »
We have a chemical supplier in and they are meeting with safety sandy because she purchases the chemicals, they are about 20 feet from my desk.  For some odd reason they are just chit chatting and asking her about her previous experience and where she came from.  I guess just trying to build rapport and a personal relationship, because they want to supply us chemicals.  I am staying out of it, but it's blowing my fucking mind. 

She claims she worked in a medical office.  The doctors would write up the diagnostics, and bring them to her to analyze.  She would go through and verify the doctors diagnostics and recommend treatments. I'm looking at her fucking resume right now and she was a data analyst at that facility, for a little over a year.  It goes without saying she was not reading charts and recommending treatments to the medical doctor.  How absurd.

She made claims about the HPV vaccine not being that effective, and they would have to evaluate it on a case by case basis because of all the side effects.  She also hasn't had a flu shot since 2009 because she doesn't trust them.  They contain mercury. They also cause autism you know.  My eyes just about rolled out of my head.

She got the flu vaccine back in 2009 because she was apparently working in a lab that performed quality testing on the vaccine, and she knew the nanobots they used were good.  Nanobots? Yep, that's apparently how the vaccine targets the bacteria and viruses.  So much wrong with those statements I don't even know where to begin.  Her resume does list her as working in a lab in 2009, but it doesn't list the actual company she worked at it only lists a temporary staffing agency.

I need to get this down in writing immediately, because in just a few minutes I'm going to look back and think I imagined that entire surreal experience because it's too off the wall fucking insane to possibly be real. 

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2019, 09:41:55 AM »
Yeah, we've had nanobots making sure vaccines get to the right part of the body since the creation of the smallpox vaccine in 1796. Didn't you know that?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2019, 09:50:56 AM »
Well I do now.  How am I supposed to realistically focus on work after hearing all that horse shit? I can't.  No way I can just ignore all of that and refocus on some other work.  I feel like my brain is in shock after that.  Maybe it's all the mercury and nanobots I've been having injected into me?

What a wild fucking ride.  I'm glad you all got to come along with me over the past several weeks and experience this in real time. 

wbranch

• Stubble
« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2019, 10:01:39 AM »
I saw this thread when it started and was thinking, yeah I guess this lady sounds a little annoying. But the more updates/details are something else. Hopefully she doesn't last much longer.

Also the corporate safety talk reminded me of the F500 construction company I worked at. In our division corporate office we would have weekly safety meetings for the local executives, HR, accounting/finance and sales people. Topics were based on the weekly topic on operational side of things and then whoever was presenting (rotated around the office) had to tie it into our office job setting. We were supposed to make observations continually and there was some sort of goal for "near miss" tracking in our office. One such instance was the AP manager catching the division president walking up/down the stairs while on his cell phone. She chewed him out about how dangerous it was and he signed off on the near miss paperwork.

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2019, 01:04:21 PM »
She made recommendations to medical doctors about what treatment to use on a patient???? HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2019, 06:09:38 PM »
She made recommendations to medical doctors about what treatment to use on a patient???? HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I've rung up a GP and told him off after I spent an afternoon cleaning up vomit from an opiate sensitive patient who had been prescribed tramadol.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2019, 06:18:56 PM »
We have a chemical supplier in and they are meeting with safety sandy because she purchases the chemicals, they are about 20 feet from my desk.  For some odd reason they are just chit chatting and asking her about her previous experience and where she came from.  I guess just trying to build rapport and a personal relationship, because they want to supply us chemicals.  I am staying out of it, but it's blowing my fucking mind. 

She claims she worked in a medical office.  The doctors would write up the diagnostics, and bring them to her to analyze.  She would go through and verify the doctors diagnostics and recommend treatments. I'm looking at her fucking resume right now and she was a data analyst at that facility, for a little over a year.  It goes without saying she was not reading charts and recommending treatments to the medical doctor.  How absurd.

She made claims about the HPV vaccine not being that effective, and they would have to evaluate it on a case by case basis because of all the side effects.  She also hasn't had a flu shot since 2009 because she doesn't trust them.  They contain mercury. They also cause autism you know.  My eyes just about rolled out of my head.

She got the flu vaccine back in 2009 because she was apparently working in a lab that performed quality testing on the vaccine, and she knew the nanobots they used were good.  Nanobots? Yep, that's apparently how the vaccine targets the bacteria and viruses.  So much wrong with those statements I don't even know where to begin.  Her resume does list her as working in a lab in 2009, but it doesn't list the actual company she worked at it only lists a temporary staffing agency.

I need to get this down in writing immediately, because in just a few minutes I'm going to look back and think I imagined that entire surreal experience because it's too off the wall fucking insane to possibly be real.

Oh sweet jesus, she really said nanobots???

Actually, I used to work as a data analyst at a med facility. I managed a cancer database. I reviewed test results based on the doctor's written diagnostic parameters and ordered tests/appts based on that. I was reading charts and medical test results, and I guess I was recommending treatments. I wouldn't phrase is that way, but in effect that was what I was doing. The tests and appts I ordered went straight to the patient, but were also reported to the specialist nurse for review. The point was to have a system that kept stable patients in the regular review loop, without costing a huge amount of money and without taking up specialist time without cause. Perhaps your nutcase did something similar? Although, having said that, you'd think if she had worked in a similar role she would have learned to be very, very careful about what you say to people re health and medical advice when you're NOT qualified.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2019, 06:42:48 PM »

Actually, I used to work as a data analyst at a med facility. I managed a cancer database. I reviewed test results based on the doctor's written diagnostic parameters and ordered tests/appts based on that. I was reading charts and medical test results, and I guess I was recommending treatments. I wouldn't phrase is that way, but in effect that was what I was doing. The tests and appts I ordered went straight to the patient, but were also reported to the specialist nurse for review. The point was to have a system that kept stable patients in the regular review loop, without costing a huge amount of money and without taking up specialist time without cause. Perhaps your nutcase did something similar? Although, having said that, you'd think if she had worked in a similar role she would have learned to be very, very careful about what you say to people re health and medical advice when you're NOT qualified.

Yes she actually said nanobots, and when she got a perplexed look from the vendor she explained that's how the vaccine gets to the bacteria an viruses.   

Maybe she did something like your job, I don't know.  I'm inclined to take what you say at face value because I have no reason to doubt you.  But I have 100 documented reasons not to trust what she says.   The thought of her having authority to treat patients in any way is frightening.  She thinks vaccines cause autism! Fucking nanobots!

I feel like nanobots is getting into some very fringe conspiracy theories.  I know some anti-vaxxers in real life and they never mention anything about any nanobots. Even they would think she is crazy.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2019, 06:52:04 PM »
As I go back and re-read some of my posts, they sound literally unbelievable.  I experienced these all first hand, and even I am thinking to myself, "really? She said that? Skeletosis? Nanobots?".  I was completely lucid and documenting it in real time.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2019, 10:59:11 PM »

Yes she actually said nanobots, and when she got a perplexed look from the vendor she explained that's how the vaccine gets to the bacteria an viruses.   

Maybe she did something like your job, I don't know.  I'm inclined to take what you say at face value because I have no reason to doubt you.  But I have 100 documented reasons not to trust what she says.   The thought of her having authority to treat patients in any way is frightening.  She thinks vaccines cause autism! Fucking nanobots!

I feel like nanobots is getting into some very fringe conspiracy theories.  I know some anti-vaxxers in real life and they never mention anything about any nanobots. Even they would think she is crazy.

I've worked in medical administration and medical software for decades. I make no claims to be a medical professional, but I'm pretty well informed. ALL of the people in my kind of position, sort of peripheral to medicine but dealing with patients directly, are extremely careful and very quick to ask if we're not certain of something. I mean EVERY PERSON, bar none. A huge part of the role is being extremely precise with information. The medical folk around me and the patients trust me to be absolutely certain in everything I say and do, and to find out from an appropriate authority if I'm not certain. My work is entirely based on interpreting written instructions from specialist surgeons. Any deviation from those instructions puts everyone at risk - me, the patients and the medical staff. I can't imagine that woman working with you would ever be hired in my role. I know I would flat out refuse to work with someone like her!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2019, 07:54:46 AM »
I've worked in medical administration and medical software for decades. I make no claims to be a medical professional, but I'm pretty well informed. ALL of the people in my kind of position, sort of peripheral to medicine but dealing with patients directly, are extremely careful and very quick to ask if we're not certain of something. I mean EVERY PERSON, bar none. A huge part of the role is being extremely precise with information. The medical folk around me and the patients trust me to be absolutely certain in everything I say and do, and to find out from an appropriate authority if I'm not certain. My work is entirely based on interpreting written instructions from specialist surgeons. Any deviation from those instructions puts everyone at risk - me, the patients and the medical staff. I can't imagine that woman working with you would ever be hired in my role. I know I would flat out refuse to work with someone like her!

Perhaps that's why she works here now instead of that office.  She claims she didn't like it and to have left voluntarily, but I doubt someone that was grossly incompetent would admit that's the reason for leaving their last job though.  I doubt someone as grossly incompetent as her is even aware of her own incompetence.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2019, 08:41:15 AM »

Perhaps that's why she works here now instead of that office.  She claims she didn't like it and to have left voluntarily, but I doubt someone that was grossly incompetent would admit that's the reason for leaving their last job though.  I doubt someone as grossly incompetent as her is even aware of her own incompetence.

Skeletosis was funny. The nanobots are a whole 'nother level. You're way nicer than I am. I'd be pulling her into corners and giving her vials of nanobot laden water while whispering about big brother and looking guilty as fuck.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2019, 10:23:11 AM »

I think I would have to start telling other people about her qualifications.  In fact, the next time she says something like "Gesundheit", you should add "Safety Sandy knows what she's talking about.  She used to advise doctors how best to treat their patients."  When someone does a double take, just say, "Well, that's what SHE told ME"

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2019, 04:27:24 PM »
I think I would have to start telling other people about her qualifications.  In fact, the next time she says something like "Gesundheit", you should add "Safety Sandy knows what she's talking about.  She used to advise doctors how best to treat their patients."  When someone does a double take, just say, "Well, that's what SHE told ME"

The thing is that people are being bamboozled by her.  People legitimately introduce her as a "safety guru", and they seem to believe all the shit she spouts.  Her credibility is through the roof with some of these people. It's insane.  I feel like I'm in a twilight zone episode. Some people are starting to realize she's an idiot, but it seems like even more believe she is the second coming of Christ or something.  I have a feeling snide comments will backfire on me and have the exact opposite effect. Especially with people that already buy into her bullshit.  I mean someone that's already convinced they should be taking medical advice from her is not going to be disuaded by sarcastic comments from me.

Im feeling tempted to contact the vendors that were in last week just to ask them if I heard what I think heard.  Did someone slip me a hallucinagen? Was I having a stroke? Or did I actually hear her claim vaccines cause autism and contain nanobots?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2019, 05:31:12 PM »

The thing is that people are being bamboozled by her.  People legitimately introduce her as a "safety guru", and they seem to believe all the shit she spouts.  Her credibility is through the roof with some of these people. It's insane.  I feel like I'm in a twilight zone episode. Some people are starting to realize she's an idiot, but it seems like even more believe she is the second coming of Christ or something.  I have a feeling snide comments will backfire on me and have the exact opposite effect. Especially with people that already buy into her bullshit.  I mean someone that's already convinced they should be taking medical advice from her is not going to be disuaded by sarcastic comments from me.

Im feeling tempted to contact the vendors that were in last week just to ask them if I heard what I think heard.  Did someone slip me a hallucinagen? Was I having a stroke? Or did I actually hear her claim vaccines cause autism and contain nanobots?

You work with some pretty dim bulbs by the sound of it. Just stick to yourself. Let people believe what they want. I think you're right and any effort on your part to enlighten them will backfire.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #193 on: November 26, 2019, 06:59:08 AM »

You work with some pretty dim bulbs by the sound of it. Just stick to yourself. Let people believe what they want. I think you're right and any effort on your part to enlighten them will backfire.
I would still do it, and that's probably why I work alone.  I agree.  If you care about your career, then snide comments NEVER help.  On this, I am an expert that cannot do the smart thing.  :( 

FN, I think you're doing the right thing...just wait it out.  From the sound of things, her sway over others doesn't last long and she'll be on her way to the next new thing within a year or two.  I just hope you can hang in there that long.  And I guess also make sure she doesn't kill anyone in the meantime. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2019, 07:10:28 AM »

Yes I do.  We need some engineers and chemists, but we also have people that empty garbage and clean the toilets, and everything in between.  Some of it is skilled worked, but not that skilled, you could train a pretty stupid person to follow the steps and understand it.   That's where a lot of these workers are, they know and understand their little niche within the industry, but they don't really understand the underlying chemistry and physics because I don't think they understand anything about chemistry or physics, but they know how to to apply paint because they've been doing it for 10 years.  But then you ask them technical questions about the chemistry of the paint, and what hazardous material is in it, and you get a blank stare.  Until safety sandy comes along to explain it all to them.   

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2019, 07:21:58 AM »

I would still do it, and that's probably why I work alone.  I agree.  If you care about your career, then snide comments NEVER help.  On this, I am an expert that cannot do the smart thing.  :( 

FN, I think you're doing the right thing...just wait it out.  From the sound of things, her sway over others doesn't last long and she'll be on her way to the next new thing within a year or two.  I just hope you can hang in there that long.  And I guess also make sure she doesn't kill anyone in the meantime.

I'm hoping she keeps pissing management off.  They already seem like they don't like her and don't want to make her a permanent employee, but they aren't taking the next step to actually fire her.  I get that firing someone is an unpleasant experience, and it's a hassle because now you have to find another candidate, and finding good candidates is difficult (especially for this company apparently), and there may also be a gap in the work stuff she actually does (data entry) until a replacement is found. ...but, I feel like the longer you allow this to go on the worse it's going to be, which is what I told my manager.  I said she is grossly incompetent and in my opinion a liability to the company and should be fired, and the longer you keep her on board the more it weakens your case for firing her.  Fire someone within the first month? No one is going to question it, she just didn't work out.  Fire someone after a year? Well...why did you wait a year if you knew she was incompetent? And beyond that? You probably need to document why you fired her.  It's coming up on 6 months that she's been here.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: November 29, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »
I hope she gets fired and the reason given by the owner or your plant manager is "Sandy was found to be making fundamental errors, which put their safety at risk."

Also, I am pretty sure most of the people in the paint department can understand or already know that bio hazard bags are for organic waste (virus and bacteria containing, other biological hazards), and that "chemical waste" bags are for paint and other contaminants that would not be properly contained by a typical garbage bag.   So,  you can likely switch up that department now, just give them the new (yellow, perhaps?) trash bags to use and take away the bio-hazard ones.

Just don't take away the bio hazard ones and not give them new special bags.

Make all that new PPE she bought available to everyone,but make sure everyone knows that it is optional, for their comfort, and needs to fit to work well.  Most people don't want to wear optional PPE.  Just don't take away anything from employees that she provided. 

AND buy them bagels and donuts for the meeting where you discuss it.  Lots of bagels and donuts.  Maybe a pizza lunch sometimes, too.

MoneyQuirk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Aspiring writer at www.moneyquirk.com
    • Money Quirk
« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2019, 11:11:17 PM »
My opinion?

Stay out of it.

Work is a constant game of having political capital. That's built by providing valuable contributions and not needlessly undercutting people. Unless what she's doing is a danger to herself or others (or you are somehow otherwise obliged to intervene, e.g. being her direct supervisor), I would just focus on doing my job effectively.

I think you hit the nail on the head yourself when you said, "she's well-liked". It's very difficult (nearing impossible) to unseat well-liked people in any short time. Efforts by you to correct her will be taken as such.

I would instead boil it down to - do you care enough about the political game to build up your own capital?
If so, you can start doing what she's doing... correctly. Provide your own training that provides value.
If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Most people are a lot more perceptive than they put out there, and if you've noticed that she likes to talk a big game without following through, it's likely most other people are aware as well.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2019, 12:14:13 AM »
Today I found a yellow leaf with an odd silver looking scarring over it. My first thought? NANOBOTS. Yep, I kept it as evidence of the invasion. I'm not even kidding - it's in a wee bell jar next to a bunch of other found stuff.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2019, 02:51:02 AM »
90% right and saving you time in getting needed tasks done is quite different from "idiot who doesn't know anything." What have your interactions been like so far? Is it all instances where you try to correct her? If so, I would sit down with her and thank her for all her help, make it clear that you value the areas she has knowledge in, and find a way to beef up the 10% of inaccuracies. At the same time, work on projecting confidence and developing stronger relationships with your coworkers.

TLDR, +1 to this.

Are you sure you're not annoyed because she is a confident female who is getting shit done?