Author Topic: Considering Contact Lenses - Suggestions to Reduce Cost?  (Read 11743 times)

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
Re: Considering Contact Lenses - Suggestions to Reduce Cost?
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 07:28:50 PM »

Clean contact lenses from time to time with baking soda. 

snip snip snip

This is very interesting.  Would you mind checking on your state's licensing website to see if that optometrist still has his/her license in good standing?

I don't mind, but the discussion was years ago.  I don't know that optometrist's name. 

Afterward I went to my current optometrist.  Her name I know, but she doesn't comment on my baking soda thing except "That's very interesting.  I hadn't heard of that."  Her license is "Active", aka in good standing.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »
I use Costco brand solution - it's $10 for 3 bottles (dramatically cheaper than ordinary brands).

I don't think I ever realized Costco has housebrand solution. I do find I am super lazy and like the rub-free solutions like Optifree, which I buy on sale - but not for as cheap as $10 for 3 bottles!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2017, 12:56:53 AM »
I use Costco brand solution - it's $10 for 3 bottles (dramatically cheaper than ordinary brands).

I don't think I ever realized Costco has housebrand solution. I do find I am super lazy and like the rub-free solutions like Optifree, which I buy on sale - but not for as cheap as $10 for 3 bottles!

Yuuup, that's basically my thought as well (I did get some on sale for $7.99/3!).  I expect that my lenses are probably cleaner, too, with the combination of rubbing and rinsing -- it only adds a minute or so to the end of my day.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 04:47:30 AM »
Get laser surgery.  It's like $1800 and you can do it with a 0% interest loan.  Contacts and glasses are expensive as hell, the surgery will pay for itself in 2 years of not buying glasses and contacts.

After this surgery are the results lasting?

Also, I'm still not able to get the contacts, but my glasses just broke. Any good suggestions for quality glasses at a low price?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:49:19 AM by Rollin »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 07:35:24 AM »
Also, I'm still not able to get the contacts, but my glasses just broke. Any good suggestions for quality glasses at a low price?

I have been happy with the glasses I've gotten from Warby Parker. I've seen other comments on this forum about other online eyeglass retailers.

LG89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2018, 12:55:24 PM »
Get laser surgery.  It's like $1800 and you can do it with a 0% interest loan.  Contacts and glasses are expensive as hell, the surgery will pay for itself in 2 years of not buying glasses and contacts.

I had lasik done a few years ago and I've never regretted spending the money on it. For me it was a quality of life thing, being able to wake up and see is nothing short of a miracle. Still 20/20

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2018, 05:44:05 PM »

I had lasik done a few years ago and I've never regretted spending the money on it. For me it was a quality of life thing, being able to wake up and see is nothing short of a miracle. Still 20/20

Not scary or painful? Sorry, I may be a chicken...

Also, was the $1800 for one or two eyes?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 06:09:28 PM by Rollin »

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2018, 06:36:29 PM »
I go to Costco. $120 for a "years" supply (12 sets of contacts) but they last me at least 2-3, because I rotate with glasses. I get the super breathable/for terrible dry eyes ones because I live in the high desert, and my eyes were awful before I got these. Also I use a special solution for dry eyes that has changed my life. But, mostly what's changed my life is wearing glasses more often. Contacts are terrible for your eyes!

Also, take your contacts out at night! When I was a teenager I swam competitively, and I would leave my contacts in for weeks at a time. I was always getting eye infections, and then once I got an ulcer on my cornea...and the Dr said I was very close to going blind. I felt super stupid, and I learned my very expensive, very painful lesson, and take them out at night religiously now. You only get one set of eyes!

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »

I'm still getting my contacts for free through my employer vision insurance.  If I FIRE in 2019, I'll run out of lenses in 2020 and need to look into my options.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »
I had PRK laser eye surgery about three months ago. I’m still healing, it takes 3-6 months, but I’d do it again. I paid 2200$ at The Lasik Vision Institute.  That’s for the works and if I get an eye exam yearly I can get future adjustments for 99$. 

It’s a real pita for a few weeks then you start to level out,  the good vision comes and goes. I still need readers but they’re inexpensive. 

It’s really nice not needing glasses and I didn’t like the idea of contacts. I’m glad I had it done.

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2018, 09:37:39 PM »
I had PRK laser eye surgery about three months ago. I’m still healing, it takes 3-6 months, but I’d do it again. I paid 2200$ at The Lasik Vision Institute.  That’s for the works and if I get an eye exam yearly I can get future adjustments for 99$. 

It’s a real pita for a few weeks then you start to level out,  the good vision comes and goes. I still need readers but they’re inexpensive. 

It’s really nice not needing glasses and I didn’t like the idea of contacts. I’m glad I had it done.

I thought the recovery was shorter. Is that different from LASIKs?

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2018, 11:57:27 PM »
Doing stupid things with your contacts is not frugal, it's stupid and can lead to much greater expenses or vision problems.

Don't do it. Wear your lenses exactly as your doctor instructs. Why would you risk the terrible consequences to save a few bucks?

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »

Yeah PRK is a lot more in-depth, invasive or whatever, they scrape a layer off so it takes time for that to heal. Just google the difference. Lasik results are practically instant.  From what I understand PRK is better and your results are better.  It just has that down period you need for healing. I wasn’t comfortable driving for a few weeks and even then avoided nighttime for a couple more.  You see double and halos around lights, pretty crazy.  The whole procedure lasts less than ten minutes.  The laser part is super short, 8 seconds on one eye and 12 on the other. When they started messing w my eye I just went to a happy place in my head, counted to 100 and it was over. 4 days it was really uncomfortable then I was ok. 

You have several check ups over the next few months, included in your fee. I did have an allergic reaction to an ointment they gave me so I had a couple extra fees w a copay and prescriptions.  It was bad for week then I was ok again.  My eyes were fine.

I spent 550$ on two nice pairs of glasses at Costco last time. I usually just get one.  Also I’m 47 and wearing them was making me feel old. I was over it. So eventually this will pay for itself and I feel better about my looks. It’s fun wearing 5$ old navy sunglasses instead of just having transition lenses.

I used a Groupon too. Only negative I would say is this place will try to upsell you w add ons.  I did some research before going in and saw what people paid.  I “talked them down” to 2200 total.  I hate doing that, it’s my eyes not a car, just give me the price. That’s how they operate and I ended up a grand lower than they quoted is it’s a necessary process.

I have a check up next week, I’m hoping to get 2020 but I’m happy w my results now and I feel like I’m still improving.

Good luck w whatever you choose. 

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2018, 04:52:14 PM »

Yeah PRK is a lot more in-depth, invasive or whatever, they scrape a layer off so it takes time for that to heal. Just google the difference. Lasik results are practically instant.  From what I understand PRK is better and your results are better.  It just has that down period you need for healing. I wasn’t comfortable driving for a few weeks and even then avoided nighttime for a couple more.  You see double and halos around lights, pretty crazy.  The whole procedure lasts less than ten minutes.  The laser part is super short, 8 seconds on one eye and 12 on the other. When they started messing w my eye I just went to a happy place in my head, counted to 100 and it was over. 4 days it was really uncomfortable then I was ok. 

You have several check ups over the next few months, included in your fee. I did have an allergic reaction to an ointment they gave me so I had a couple extra fees w a copay and prescriptions.  It was bad for week then I was ok again.  My eyes were fine.

I spent 550$ on two nice pairs of glasses at Costco last time. I usually just get one.  Also I’m 47 and wearing them was making me feel old. I was over it. So eventually this will pay for itself and I feel better about my looks. It’s fun wearing 5$ old navy sunglasses instead of just having transition lenses.

I used a Groupon too. Only negative I would say is this place will try to upsell you w add ons.  I did some research before going in and saw what people paid.  I “talked them down” to 2200 total.  I hate doing that, it’s my eyes not a car, just give me the price. That’s how they operate and I ended up a grand lower than they quoted is it’s a necessary process.

I have a check up next week, I’m hoping to get 2020 but I’m happy w my results now and I feel like I’m still improving.

Good luck w whatever you choose.

Thank you Awesomeness, you are awesome!

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2018, 05:33:16 PM »
Well I have a fix for now. My eye doc office put my lenses in another, but slightly different frames. A little adjusting of the fish line and good to go. So I have my newish lenses in brand new frames. Yeah!