Author Topic: Child's UTMA fund - invest in the S&P 500?  (Read 2205 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Child's UTMA fund - invest in the S&P 500?
« on: January 15, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »
Hey guys,

We just had a UTMA fund recently opened for our kid. Currently the defaulted fund is SPAXX. Should I go ahead and just put all of it into the S&P 500 index fund instead?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Child's UTMA fund - invest in the S&P 500?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
assuming that the money is going to sit in that fund for a long time (10+ years) I think that's a fine place to invest it.

Ultimately you have to decide for yourself.  But in a similar position I'd probably put it all in either in the total market index or the SP500.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »
assuming that the money is going to sit in that fund for a long time (10+ years) I think that's a fine place to invest it.

Ultimately you have to decide for yourself.  But in a similar position I'd probably put it all in either in the total market index or the SP500.

That's what I was thinking - can 'afford' the 'risk' at this point in time since it's ultimately for him and he won't be doing anything with it for a really long time (at least, I think haha) :)

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 04:38:13 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is the purpose/intention of the UTMA?  College savings?  Future house down-payment?  General tax-advantaged asset transfer?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 06:46:35 PM »
Out of curiosity, what is the purpose/intention of the UTMA?  College savings?  Future house down-payment?  General tax-advantaged asset transfer?

Probably college savings, for the most part.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!