Author Topic: Car comparison  (Read 2437 times)

captainawesome

• Stubble
Car comparison
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
My car needs have changed and I looking towards the room/versatility of a hatch as opposed to my sedan.  Currently driving a 2008 mazda 3s (grand touring 5mt 52k miles). I happened to come across these two listings near by and I'm trying to figure out what would be the better option:
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/4090409246.html
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/4084786196.html

Obviously there is around a 2.5k difference in price, but I don't want to go for the lower price just because it's cheaper.  The second option has 20k less miles and is a year newer, also comes with some extras over the first (roof rack, tinted windows, upgraded stereo etc)  Not sure how big a difference 20k miles are in the grand scheme of it (should go to at least 150k) but going from a paid off car with 52k miles and then jumping into a car with 84k makes me a little hesitant. 

Either way, I have the title in hand, so long as I am able to sell my current car for a reasonable price I will have a positive cash flow from the transaction.  Any advice would be much appreciated. 

tdg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Car comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:40:33 PM »
They both look nice to me, the Scion xD is a model we consider as we try to replace our totaled Vibe. Roof and bike racks are very nice to have, but can be bought used. I wouldn't let the tints and fancy radio add to the price. I'm not sure how to price out the difference in miles, but I saw MMM figure it at $0.10/mi. in one of the car-related posts. We've been hearing pretty good things about the Ford Focus and they're relatively cheap around here. The Vibe / Matrix is great. Depending on how much driving you have to do, a Prius may be good. It looks like you have some pretty good choices in your area.

captainawesome

• Stubble
Re: Car comparison
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:16:18 AM »
@tdg I also came across a 05 matrix with 78k miles, seems to be in pretty decent shape.  How did you like your vibe? Never driven a vibe/matrix so I hadn't considered it until I started looking across the board. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!