Author Topic: Canadian cell phone plans?  (Read 893 times)

lentil

• Stubble
Canadian cell phone plans?
« on: August 12, 2020, 12:33:09 PM »
Hey folks, I am wondering if someone can help me out with this.

My dad lives in British Columbia, I live in the US. He has been having some health issues lately that have him in and out of hospitals, so he wants to get a reliable cell phone to help him maintain contact. He has a Telus pre-paid cell right now (which cannot make calls to the US), and it's easy to see that I can upgrade that to a US-Can plan that costs about $100/month.

But I know there's got to be a better deal than that! His needs are simple: a phone plan that lets him make calls to the US and Canada, with reliable coverage. Nothing complicated. What are Canadian Mustachians using? Any leads for companies or resources I could start checking out?

Thanks so much!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
Re: Canadian cell phone plans?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 02:52:04 PM »
Cell phone rates are higher here than in the US.  $100/month for free unlimited international calls doesn't seem that bad to me.  But he could also download What's App on a cheaper plan and use that, I think it works on foreign numbers, but you should double check that.

lentil

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 03:24:40 PM »
Thank you, SunnyDays! That is super helpful.

Stashasaurus

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 04:02:23 PM »
https://www.fido.ca/consumer/mobile/add-ons you can Turn a Fido plan into US calling for $15/month. $100/month is very expensive!

HMman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Think of your local tree farmer: print this post
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 03:03:31 PM »
I use Public Mobile, and have been quite happy with them. For your dad, something like the $25 a month plan might work well. For making calls to the US, you can buy add-on packages for certain amounts of minutes, or you can use SunnyDays' suggestion of internet calling. Google Hangouts also offers free calls to the US over internet, and is what I use whenever I'm making a call to the US.

One other benefit I've found with Public Mobile is that they have free unlimited incoming calls, which also includes calls from the US. I'm on the $15 a month plan, and don't pay a dime or use any minutes for any US calls that are placed to me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!