Author Topic: Calling all Athletes - Mustachian Meal Prep Help  (Read 638 times)

typicalmillenial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Calling all Athletes - Mustachian Meal Prep Help
« on: April 02, 2019, 07:01:16 AM »
Hey everyone! I have been tracking my spending very closely, and FOOD is consistently my biggest ticket item (behind rent). A little background on me: I am 6' 6" and 220lbs. I exercise everyday of the week in the mornings at the gym in my office, and to make a long story short, I am literally always hungry and tend to lose weight very, very quickly (not my goal or intention).

I am curious if there are other athletes out there who know of meal prep ideas for breakfast and lunch that are both healthy and cheap. Right now, I eat an omlette and fruit ($5- served at my company dining room) every morning and get a salad ($5-$8) for lunch. I cook dinner just about every night and have a few cheap recipes, so feel like I am good there.

Any ideas? While the meals at work here are subsidized, $200/mo on breakfast/lunch is a lot and I know I can cut that down.

Thanks in advance!

mid-atlantic minimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Calling all Athletes - Mustachian Meal Prep Help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 06:12:34 AM »
Dang, when I saw the title I got excited hoping you'd have lots of replies! Have you come up with anything good since?

Some weeks (when I am on my game) I make this without the beef and I have 8 pretty balanced breakfasts out of it for a relatively small amount of money and effort:
http://www.justjessieb.com/2018/02/beef-enchilada-breakfast-bake-paleo.html

I also do this with 2-3 lbs of chicken thighs and have enough for about 4 or 5 lunches:
https://therealfoodrds.com/slow-cooker-buffalo-chicken/

I'm also a huge fan of Ezekiel bread and almond butter sandwiches. The bread is way more expensive than regular bread, but the nutritional value is really high, and its easily packable.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »
For breakfast, I like a bowl of oatmeal and three eggs.  I have it almost every day.  For dinner, grilled chicken with rice and vegetables is about as affordable as it gets.  Lunch is where I struggle, but a lot of folks either do sandwiches or cook extra food at dinner and eat leftovers.

Punky Bikester

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 04:02:56 PM »
I've been making my own salads to bring to work. I make oil and vinegar dressing (cheap, already have ingredients), and then use broccoli, chickpeas, quinoa, home-cooked chicken breast, sometimes nuts or cheese or other veggies if I have some left over from other recipes, and greens. The price per salad is about $3, and that includes using the fancy greens in a box, boneless, skinless chicken breast (instead of cheaper cuts), and canned chickpeas. They do take some time to make, but doing it all at once for the week takes me less than an hour, plus I get to munch along the way. ;-) You could add hard-boiled eggs for more concentrated, cheap protein.

I bet you could make your own omelettes at home if you're motivated. I'm not, so I usually go for a bowl of granola or oatmeal with some almond butter, and then bring snacks to work like bananas and bulk almonds.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 04:21:07 PM »
Well, I'm not as big as you (being a lady and all that) but my husband and I are fairly active and also like to eat healthy but frugal.

Some staples for us:

Breakfast is typically eggs with some veggies (we roast several trays of veg on the weekend, you could probably also find some cheap frozen options or just chop up veg and steam them), plus oatmeal or a piece of fruit if I feel the need for extra carbs.

Lunch is more roast veggies, this time with some kind of lentil curry (make in bulk on weekend) and homemade seitan (I have posted my recipe several times on the forums).  I personally really like seitan as a source of protein.  It's cheap (if you get the flour used to make it in bulk), you can make a big batch at once in the instant pot, it's got a lot of protein and not a lot of fat/carbs which is not the case for many vegetarian protein sources (we are not 100% vegetarian but do try to keep our meat consumption low for environmental reasons).  Other days I will make a salad with stuff like greens, sprouted lentils, chopped apple, more of my beloved seitan or a boiled egg.

Snacks are things like nuts, raw veggies (make your own hummus to dip them in if you need extra calories), fruit, hard boiled eggs (easy to make in instant pot also!).  I keep a bag of oatmeal at my desk also in case I suddenly get the urge for a hot snack.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 06:07:04 PM »
Hey everyone! I have been tracking my spending very closely, and FOOD is consistently my biggest ticket item (behind rent). A little background on me: I am 6' 6" and 220lbs. I exercise everyday of the week in the mornings at the gym in my office, and to make a long story short, I am literally always hungry and tend to lose weight very, very quickly (not my goal or intention).

I am curious if there are other athletes out there who know of meal prep ideas for breakfast and lunch that are both healthy and cheap. Right now, I eat an omlette and fruit ($5- served at my company dining room) every morning and get a salad ($5-$8) for lunch. I cook dinner just about every night and have a few cheap recipes, so feel like I am good there.

Any ideas? While the meals at work here are subsidized, $200/mo on breakfast/lunch is a lot and I know I can cut that down.

Thanks in advance!

Why not just bring eggs to make in the microwave at work, and your own fruit? Itíll probably cost 1/3 as much as youíre paying in the office.

Really, virtually any comparable thing you bring and eat will be cheaper than food you buy at a cafeteria or restaurant. If you need extra calories bring granola bars, oatmeal, grilled chicken, etc. Thereís really a million, easy options.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 06:11:35 PM »
FYI, if you are having omelette and fruit for breakfast and a salad for lunch, you donít have a high metabolism, you arenít eating very much at all. Those are basically zero carbs and not much for calories..

Junco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 12:31:38 PM »
I'm a distance runner doing 60-90 miles a week and spend around $150-200 a month on food depending on how luxurious I'm feeling. I do almost all my shopping at Trader Joe's, which offers high quality food at a good price. Also go to Aldi's on rare occasion.

Some tips:
-Eat a lots of grains. Carbs fuel athletes and can be found for $1-2 dollars a pound. Lot's of oats, rice, bread, cous cous, pasta, and if feeling fancy quinoa.
-Eat more vegan proteins. Beans and lentils are much cheaper and arguably healthier than meat/dairy/eggs.
-Buy more cheap vegetables (think carrots, canned tomatoes, onions, potatoes) for your bulk veggie intake and eat more expensive ones sparingly/as garnish. The one exception I make for this is greens since they are so healthy.

Also, stop buying meals at your company dining hall. Bring oatmeal or smoothies for the morning and dinner leftovers for lunch.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 12:33:39 PM by Junco »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 12:55:44 PM »
How committed to spending less vs eating things that taste good are you?

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 01:40:00 PM »
typicalmillennial, what are your macro and calorie targets? We can collectively probably give you VERY specific advice based on that. :) (If you have any food restrictions, good to know about those too.)

Otherwise, I agree with other posters:

1. Bringing food from home makes everything cheaper. There are a ton of delicious things that you can bring in that will require minimal storage + heating.

2. I agree with use2betrix that you're very likely not getting enough calories. I'm a 5'2" woman and a 2-egg omelette plus a cup of fruit for breakfast, plus a few cups of salad for lunch, is what keeps *me* full and on-target for calories. You're over a foot taller, nearly 100 pounds heavier, and probably carry a much larger proportion of muscle -- you need more to support your body.

mid-atlantic minimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »
typicalmillennial, what are your macro and calorie targets? We can collectively probably give you VERY specific advice based on that. :) (If you have any food restrictions, good to know about those too.)

Haha can I get in on that action???

1800-1900 calories per day, trying to lose a few lbs slowly with moderate activity.
50% of calories from carbs (900 calories or 230g)
30% of calories from fat (550 calories or 68g)
20% of calories from protein (360 calories or 90g)
Runner (moderate--25ish miles per week). Desk job. No real restrictions except I try not to rely too heavily on grains.

Thanks in advance :)

Rubes33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »
For breakfast, I like a bowl of oatmeal and three eggs.  I have it almost every day.  For dinner, grilled chicken with rice and vegetables is about as affordable as it gets.  Lunch is where I struggle, but a lot of folks either do sandwiches or cook extra food at dinner and eat leftovers.

Eggs and oatmeal are super cheap, quick, and healthy. That has been my go-to ever since the college football days.  Oatmeal can easily be microwaved at work. Throw in some peanut butter, honey, fruit, whatever you want for some extra calories and flavor.  You have a few options for the eggs.  Get a muffin pan and crack one egg into each slot and bake it till the eggs are done.  You can even throw in some cheese, mushrooms, whatever on top of the eggs.  Or you could just hard boil a bunch and have all your eggs ready to go.

Chicken, basmati rice, and veggies can't really be beat either as far as price and being healthy. If you're not into grains then just do baked potatoes (or sweet) instead.  Buy them in bulk.  I always just make an extra meal when I cook dinner and eat it the next day for lunch.  Just microwave it. You could also go full meal prep and make like 3 days worth of food at once. 

If you wanna be super frugal I used to buy the cheap cans of tuna and and just dump a can of tuna into 1 cup of basmati rice.  Throw in some hot sauce or whatever flavoring you want.  Full meal of protein and carbs for like $1.

Rubes33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 03:37:35 PM »
Not sure on your work schedule, but could waking up like 30 minutes earlier and making breakfast at home be an option?

Also, like another guy said.  You're not eating enough calories.  You're 6'6 220 and you're eating as many calories as my 130 lb wife.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Resting up for 2020
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 03:40:55 PM »