Author Topic: Buying a suit  (Read 5516 times)

paulstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Buying a suit
« on: July 06, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm new here but love the site!

I'm also looking to buy a suit for a wedding and job interviews. However, the bad news is that I'm a bit on the tall side (6'5") and pretty thin (around 200 lbs)...and extra long arms. Anyone know a good place to get a suit?

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Buying a suit
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 03:23:31 PM »
Definitely check out some thrift shops in the more upscale areas. There is a chance you could find something that sort of fits, and have it tailored to fit you if you can get something that works with your height and isn't too big (don't bother with the really oversized ones since the alterations would require basically remaking the darn thing and not come out as nicely).

Barring that, I'd suggest trying some less obvious "suit" places - like JCPenney or Sears. Their suits are usually good quality and last time we purchased one at JCP (granted many years ago) it included free alterations, and the suit was really, really nice for under $100.

Overstock also has mens suits... just not sure how comfortable you'd be ordering without trying on. Jos. A. Bank is supposed to have good sales, and they should have a tall section.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
What area do you live in? I actually have better luck at outlet stores than I do at thrift shops for suits

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
Do you know how to measure yourself for suit shopping on ebay?
www.ebay.com/itm/Bachrach-42-or-44-XL-Tall-Mans-100-Wool-Suit-Charcoal-Gray-and-Sharp-/231009775610
www.ebay.com/itm/EVAN-PICONE-NWT-38XL-29x34-Mens-Gray-Suit-Comfortable-Wool-Pants-Lined-to-Knee-/271162419586 (the pattern looks okay)

After you buy a suit, you'll need to get it altered pretty much no matter what. It can make a big difference. Give yourself some time for that.

Get a mid-grey or charcoal grey as your first suit. Avoid patterns, especially stripes.

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »
Go to a good quality department store and enlist a salesperson to assist you in finding one that fits you well.  Tell him/her up front your budget and that you are looking for a suit for job interviews.  I took my SIL to a store and bought him a suit as a gift after completing his PhD program.  He is very tall and thin like you and felt he could "never" find a suit that fit him.  The salespeople know their inventory and how to fit different body types.  We were able to find him a great suit that fit beautifully and he FELT great wearing it.

paulstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 07:54:01 AM »
Wow! Great suggestions everyone! Thanks so much. :)

Honest Abe, I live in Cincinnati, OH.

velocistar237, I do have my measurements. I went to Men's Warehouse and Jos. A Banks. However, spending $500-$900 wasn't really something I was looking to do! haha
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:56:16 AM by paulstache »

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:54:56 AM »
You can take a suit to a tailor (most dry cleaners do alterations) for around $30-40 get it altered to fit you. DO NOT skip this step... when you actually get out and wear the suit in public you'll notice the difference between a well-tailored suit and one that is not, and instead of feeling confident you'll feel self-conscious (I've been there)

I've seen complete suits at thrift stores for as little as $100, but they are rare to find and the selection is less than ideal.

Here is the list of stores at the outlet call in Cincinnati

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=79

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 05:58:20 PM »
velocistar237, I do have my measurements. I went to Men's Warehouse and Jos. A Banks. However, spending $500-$900 wasn't really something I was looking to do! haha

A size 40 jacket is meant to fit someone with a 40" chest and can have an actual measurement of 42-46". When buying on ebay, it's good to go by the seller's measurements of the actual garment to get the right fit. Here's a guide to suit measuring for ebay. It's a little risky to suit shop on ebay, but you can by a used Jos A. Banks suit for less than $100, so if you have the time, it's a lot cheaper than retail shopping.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
I buy all my work clothes through sierratradingpost.com,  usually for at least 70 and sometimes 90 percent off retail. For suits,  a visit to the tailor perfects the experience. The clothes are usually very high end.  Compare to Neiman Marcus. You can get a great suit for a couple hundred,  and sometimes the craziest deals are on clothes for people with uncommon body sizes like you.

I have no interest in STP,  or even know anyone who does, other than purchasing tens of thousands of dollars of merchandise over 25 or more years, and have never had an issue.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »
Here is the list of stores at the outlet call in Cincinnati

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/store_listing.asp?id=79
The Jeffersonville outlet mall is only about an hour away, too. Here are those stores.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!