Author Topic: Blood transfusion  (Read 1985 times)

econberkeley

• Stubble
Blood transfusion
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:30:25 AM »
My mom has an anemia. She is coming to US after having a blood transfusion. She will need one more transfusion before going back since flying with low levels is dangerous. Can my wife donate blood to my mother to save on cost? Is that a common practice? How much does it usually cost to have blood transfusion?

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
Re: Blood transfusion
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 08:52:01 AM »
Her physician needs to contact a doctor in the city where she is going and send them her latest medical information.  She should also travel with a copy of her records.  I can't tell you the cost, but I know that where I live, if you know someone who needs blood you can make a donation to the blood bank and dedicate it to the person that needs it.  It doesn't have to be the same type.  They take your donation and give the correct type to the person needing it. Then there is no charge for the blood, but of course there will be expenses for the transfusion  So, if that is the way that it works where she is going then, yes, your wife can make the donation if she meets all the health qualifiers. 

BWholehearted

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Blood transfusion
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 12:42:37 AM »
Yeah, contact the provider and ask them.  Try a few if you are having trouble finding the kind of options that you want.  Does she have insurance?  Find out it if covers some or all of it.