Author Topic: Best no foreign transaction fee credit card?  (Read 3659 times)

Askel

• Pencil Stache
Best no foreign transaction fee credit card?
« on: October 11, 2018, 05:52:41 PM »
Hey folks,

I need to go to Mexico in November.  My current credit card charges annoying foreign transaction fees. I should get a new one. 

Favorite and/or best deals? 

The Capital One Savor card looks pretty OK. Annual fee waived the first year. $500 if I manage to spend $3k in 3 months (honestly, that's going to be tough) and MMM gets a kickback if I apply through him....

This is pretty much a one time gig, so cards with fees waived the first year are OK if I can cancel.   

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
Re: Best no foreign transaction fee credit card?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
 Chase Sapphire and it had a great miles bonus when I signed up for it!

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 07:15:07 PM »
I should specify, I'm not super excited about rewards beyond the sign up bonus.  I don't travel much and my annual spending isn't very high. 

Distshore

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »
Similar situation, just got the Bank of America World Travel card (not quite sure of the name). No annual fee. Not the best rewards but we got it for the no forex fee, no annual fee features.

cap396

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Snail Travelers - Traveling the World at a Snail's Pace
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 06:58:37 AM »
We use Capital One Journey.  No annual fee, 1.5% cash back, no foreign transaction fees.  It's aimed toward students but you don't have to be a student.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 07:01:43 AM »
Several Chase cards have no FTF.  Any of the Sapphire cards for example.

nkt0

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 07:21:25 AM »
I was looking into this too, and the Capital One Quicksilver seemed like a good option: No foreign transaction fees and no annual fee.

There's also a new Wells Fargo AMEX card that has no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee. But then you're giving money to Wells Fargo…

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 07:53:00 AM »
We use Capital One Journey.  No annual fee, 1.5% cash back, no foreign transaction fees.  It's aimed toward students but you don't have to be a student.

This sounds more like the Capital One Quicksilver card which is also what we use. It looks like the Journey card is 1% cash back (1.25% if you pay on time) and is targeted at students.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 08:48:19 AM »
I use a Chase Sapphire Preferred.  $95 annual fee though.  It also provides primary (not secondary) rental car insurance, which is valuable to us.

The Amazon Prime Chase Visa also has no annual fee, if you're a Prime member.

shingy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »
I'm in the process of getting one as well. These are the cards I've found that also don't charge an annual fee:

TRIO Fifth Third
HSBC Cash Rewards
Wells Fargo Propel
Capital One Quicksilver
Capital One VentureOne
Bank of America BankAmericard Travel Rewards

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 08:04:23 PM »
I've had CapitalOne Venture card for 5 plus years and have been very happy with them when traveling internationally. No foreign transaction fees, no annual fees, great customer service if you have an issue abroad, and the points I get I will use the "travel eraser" to cover a hotel expense or other travel expense.

Onion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 04:46:25 PM »
I would say Bank of America Travel Rewards card for you. 25,000 bonus points (worth $250) for $1,000 spend in first ninety days. No annual fee ever, so you can just hold onto it in case you need to travel later. No foreign transaction fee.

The only other card I have with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee is with Navy Federal Credit Union but that is not easy to join. Also Discover, but their scope internationally is limited. Chase Sapphire Preferred is good is your are under 5 new cards in last 24 months, but it does have 3k spend requirement for bonus. Then cancel or downgrade before the first 12 months is over to avoid annual fee.