Author Topic: Best clippers/scissors for giving yourself a haircut at home?  (Read 6240 times)

decessus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi,

What do equipment do you recommend for cutting your own hair (let's assume you're a man) at home?  I think I saw Wahl clippers were good, but there were so many.  I'm looking for a mix of quality but I didn't necessarily want to shell out $75 for clippers if the $20 ones were adequate.

Thanks in advance.

vivek440

• Stubble
    • Adventures of an Indian Couple after their Financial Independence
Re: Best clippers/scissors for giving yourself a haircut at home?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:11:49 AM »
I am also keen to know this. Let me know, if somebody has any suggestions. Thanks!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 07:17:59 AM »

This is what I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Andis-2-Speed-Professional-Clipper-22360/dp/B0018KVI5M/

* I don't cut it myself... My wife drives the clippers
* We've been through several less expensive Wahl clippers.  We also use them to cut our dogs.  One of the dogs has seriously thick hair and needs a heavier duty clipper.  This one runs at a lower speed, but seems to have more power.  If you're just cutting normal human hair... you might not need to spend that much.

badger1988

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:31:31 AM »
Just got done cutting my own hair last night :)

I've got the "Wahl Color Pro" (Gift from my parents 4 years ago). It works great for me. Probably ~20 hair cuts so far with no issues or complaints to speak of. It looks like they run $17.50 online at Target right now. I actually thought they were more expensive until I looked them up just now.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 07:58:57 AM »
We use a Wahl Peanut.

http://smile.amazon.com/Wahl-Professional-8655-200-Clipper-trimmer/dp/B001FDKGIW/

My wife gives me a haircut once a month or so and I use the same clippers to trim my beard on a semi-regular basis (more frequently as it gets warmer).

We used to use a battery-powered one but eventually it stopped holding a charge for more than half a beard trim, which is pretty inconvenient. Switched to this corded peanut and haven't looked back. We both like it because it's smaller and easier to manipulate than a big Wahl or the bigger cordless one we had.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:12:24 AM »
We use the Wahl Chrome. This is after killing 5 other clippers in 3 years. (SO has very thick hair, and I cut it every 3 weeks).

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79524-2501-Chrome-24-Piece-Haircut/dp/B0026IBSVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431871863&sr=8-1&keywords=wahl+trimmers+clippers

Best choice we ever made. We've had these going on a year now and they aren't showing any sign of slowing down.

Edit: Just be sure to maintain them with the oil they come with, otherwise they can catch. SO also uses their smaller trimmer for beard, etc, and likes it. Not sure the exact model on that.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 08:44:58 AM »
Been using my US made Oster 606 since 1985...  A LOT/countless hair cuts and beard trims.  Fixed the cord many years ago, replaced cord a few months ago, still on original blades (HD milled iron), that can be sharpened.  Super powerful, adjustable, and easy to get parts/service decades after purchase.  I'd rather get HD used, than buy some of the new clippers I have seen (junk).  I do have a cordless trimmer for neck work, but no way would I use cordless for HD use.  Good luck, and enjoy huge savings.

vivek440

• Stubble
    • Adventures of an Indian Couple after their Financial Independence
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 10:33:11 AM »
I've got the "Wahl Color Pro" (Gift from my parents 4 years ago). It works great for me. Probably ~20 hair cuts so far with no issues or complaints to speak of. It looks like they run $17.50 online at Target right now. I actually thought they were more expensive until I looked them up just now.

Going ahead and ordering - Wahl Color Pro (Ordering it from Target as that's where it is available for the minimal cost)
Thank you for sharing this. I have been thinking of ordering one since long but didn't know which one to order. You made my decision easy!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 11:18:05 AM »
I have extremely thick hair too, my own mother calls me a doormat...

I got a Wahl model similar to Bracken_Joy's, it was also around $20 at Sam's Club back in 2012. If you open it up you see how simple it is, and the construction seems solid. Just oil regularly. And even if you get a lemon, those bad boys pay for themselves in just one or two haircuts.

VCaddy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 03:58:15 PM »
I went with a Wahl Color Pro, $20 at Kmart.  It's paid for itself many times over in a couple months.  I have to keep my hair mowed down pretty good every 10-14 days, so I don't work the clipper very hard.   

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »
I purchased a WHAL set at costco over 10+ years ago. I use them 2x a month to shave my head. I also purchased a bottle of oil that I use before I use them and after. They more than pay for themselves so even if you get some that stink it is not really terrible to try again on another brand. I wonder what the math is on do it yourself hair cuts for 18 years???

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Badass Mustachian Twins!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 06:17:38 PM »
I also agree with the Wahl Color Pro clippers. I've had them for several months and they work perfectly fine. I've saved SO much money in haircuts!