Author Topic: Apartment liability...?  (Read 9778 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Apartment liability...?
« on: September 20, 2016, 05:53:31 AM »
I know this isn't a legal forum but I thought I'd get a few opinions on this anyway.

Some may recall my issue living with bats last year into this year. Well my apartment let me out of my lease earlier this year finally.  But that was after 8 months of living with bats. About 7 incidents with them. Now I'm not one of those 'sue happy' folks. I'm really not. But when I was living there I was upset they wouldn't let me out of my lease during the issues because I simply could not sleep and had a ton of anxiety. It was impacting my ability to work and on occasion I would have to stay somewhere else to sleep.

Well now...I've moved out and I love my new place. But guess what? I still can't sleep. About 2 nights a week I still have nightmares of waking up to bats. And every single noise I hear at night I wake up to because it's as if I'm still in 'fight or flight' mode...every tiny noise reminds me of the times I would hear something then find myself locking myself away in another room to avoid bats. Now I know there aren't bats here in my new place but...its just how my body/brain continues to react.

It's been 4 months in my new place. Can the old place be sued for the issues I'm having?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
Re: Apartment liability...?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 06:08:28 AM »
Move on.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 08:29:56 AM »
You could have dealt with this issue in the old location, if you really put your mind to it.
A bat has to get into your living space somehow.   Close all entry points and they can't get in, pretty simple.

Lawsuits like this are B.S.
What's next ...... hurt feelings?

plog

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:35:56 AM »
It's been 4 months in my new place. Can the old place be sued for the issues I'm having?

If you're in the greatest country on earth, America, you're god damn right you can sue:

http://listverse.com/2009/01/28/top-10-bizarre-or-frivolous-lawsuits/

Now, getting representation on contigency is another thing.  And winning is third thing.  And #4 on the improbability list is collecting.  But don't any of those things stop you.   

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:40:56 AM »
I'm sorry this is a little ridiculous. I agree you are probably still affected by bats and its not simply a minor inconvenience. But, since you are already out of the situation what are you expecting to get out of it? Will money really make you feel better or are you just trying to stick it to the landlord? Buy a box fan and sleep with it on to block out any random night noises. Maybe take some calming herbs or supplements before you go to bed. Its not going to last forever.

Also, I'd be cautious about suing over something like this if you plan to rent in the future. I can't see any future landlord looking to kindly on a lawsuit 4+  months after moveout.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:43:21 AM by therethere »

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »
I don't think you would win a lawsuit like this but you can get treatment for ptsd.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 09:11:37 AM »
Despite my handle, this is not legal advice.  Not my area of law.  But, did you require rabies shots at any point? I've seen some pretty big cases in my area where a landlord knew there was a bat problem, did not remedy it and the tenant required a course of rabies shots.  Verdicts start at the cost of your medical bills and then there is further money for emotional distress and pain and suffering.  Since a round of rabies vaccines can cost $100k+ these cases can get big fast.  Many jurisdictions require a physical manifestation of emotional distress to recover.  In some, sleeplessness is enough.  In others, headaches, nausea, sleeplessness isn't enough.  You have to have a physical AND mental injury like being bit and scared.

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 09:56:27 AM »
Yeah, you can sue - but whether or not you have a legitimate case that will hold up in court may be a different story.

I would seek professional help for any trauma and simultaneously get their opinion if your trauma is worthy of law suit.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 10:14:42 AM »
I agree with the suggestion of turning on a fan to create some white noise while you sleep. This will block out some of the small noises that you hear and hopefully will make you less jumpy.

Even if you go the legal route against the old place, that won't fix your actual problem you have now. You got scared by the bats. You might want to talk to some sort of mental health professional who has experience in dealing with traumas/PTSD.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »
OP, I am sorry that you are going through this.

I can see how the reality of bats flying around you at night can trigger long term fear. It makes me mad that your landlord wouldnt let you out of the lease and couldnt fix the problem.

While it is  true that not everyone would come away with a sleep problem, I can picture how that would happen.

I hope you can find a way to see a good therapist for this and I hope it can be successfulky treated in a few visits. Bats are scary, you arent crazy. As far as suing, I woild get treatment first, determine the cost, and then sue in small clams court cor that cost of treatment plus incidentals. This doesnt seem all that frivolous to me, assuming a good therapist can help you get over this.

Someone I know had cats and bats, and their cats helpfully caught a bat at night and brought it to her. in bed. At night. Where she could put her hand on it in the dark. Acccccckkkkk!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 10:19:06 AM by iris lily »

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
You could have dealt with this issue in the old location, if you really put your mind to it.
A bat has to get into your living space somehow.   Close all entry points and they can't get in, pretty simple.

Lawsuits like this are B.S.
What's next ...... hurt feelings?

Um...who said I didn't deal with this issue in the old location?  I had everyone from animal control to pest control to wildlife removal out there over and over and over again (on my dime).

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 12:09:10 PM »
Despite my handle, this is not legal advice.  Not my area of law.  But, did you require rabies shots at any point? I've seen some pretty big cases in my area where a landlord knew there was a bat problem, did not remedy it and the tenant required a course of rabies shots.  Verdicts start at the cost of your medical bills and then there is further money for emotional distress and pain and suffering.  Since a round of rabies vaccines can cost $100k+ these cases can get big fast.  Many jurisdictions require a physical manifestation of emotional distress to recover.  In some, sleeplessness is enough.  In others, headaches, nausea, sleeplessness isn't enough.  You have to have a physical AND mental injury like being bit and scared.

Well yes, after the first incident of waking up to one and after reporting it to animal control I had the CDC on my back calling me and had to go in to the ER to get the first series and back in for the rest of the 3 series of shots.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 12:12:38 PM »
I agree with the suggestion of turning on a fan to create some white noise while you sleep. This will block out some of the small noises that you hear and hopefully will make you less jumpy.

Even if you go the legal route against the old place, that won't fix your actual problem you have now. You got scared by the bats. You might want to talk to some sort of mental health professional who has experience in dealing with traumas/PTSD.

Thanks.  I already sleep with a fan.  And take Benadryl and Xanax.  And meditate. 

I know this sounds ridiculous to some but it's not like I ever thought I would end up in a situation like this!  You best believe they knew my place had a bat problem before I moved in because during the last incident when animal control came out she told me she had been coming to my unit before I ever moved in there taking out bats.

I'm sure the situation seems mad sketchy at first thought but I wouldn't even be thinking about this now if I wasn't still losing sleep over this nonsense. 

So I never really thought of it as PTSD...that seems so....'serious'.  But I am staying up for a large portion of the night now so...yeah.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:47:16 PM by EconDiva »

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »
I'm sorry this is a little ridiculous. I agree you are probably still affected by bats and its not simply a minor inconvenience. But, since you are already out of the situation what are you expecting to get out of it? Will money really make you feel better or are you just trying to stick it to the landlord? Buy a box fan and sleep with it on to block out any random night noises. Maybe take some calming herbs or supplements before you go to bed. Its not going to last forever.

Also, I'd be cautious about suing over something like this if you plan to rent in the future. I can't see any future landlord looking to kindly on a lawsuit 4+  months after moveout.

Money probably won't make me feel that much better.  I know it's probably not a case that  could ever win.  I never even thought about it until my boss mentioned it to me.

But to be honest?  I think if I did win such a case they'd fix the problem. 

Yeah I'm gone but guess what....I actually still wonder about who moved in next after me.  And if they have a small child or children that could get bitten one day living in that place.  After all of the calls and emails and certified letters and shots and wildlife removal and building nets and calls to the alderman and attorney consultations I was worn out but I couldn't find another way to make them truly fix the problem but I like to think if they were sued they'd do something.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:19:41 PM by EconDiva »

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »

I can see how the reality of bats flying around you at night can trigger long term fear. It makes me mad that your landlord wouldnt let you out of the lease and couldnt fix the problem.

While it is  true that not everyone would come away with a sleep problem, I can picture how that would happen.

I hope you can find a way to see a good therapist for this and I hope it can be successfulky treated in a few visits. Bats are scary, you arent crazy. As far as suing, I woild get treatment first, determine the cost, and then sue in small clams court cor that cost of treatment plus incidentals. This doesnt seem all that frivolous to me, assuming a good therapist can help you get over this.

Someone I know had cats and bats, and their cats helpfully caught a bat at night and brought it to her. in bed. At night. Where she could put her hand on it in the dark. Acccccckkkkk!

Thank you for your empathy.

I already stated in my original post that I'm not a sue happy type of person.

But I thought there were more empathetic people on this board.

I mean...some people just need to take 60 seconds and truly think to themselves just how quick THEY'd get over waking up to bats in their bedroom.  And one of them I found out did test positive for rabies.  You mean to honestly tell me you wouldn't be angry you had to live that way for 8 frikkin months??  And after moving out you still can't sleep because of it?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 12:30:31 PM »
Anger over the bats I can totally get.  But you used that anger to better your life.  It serves no benefit to you any more.  Fear of little critters potentially helped prevent you from getting rabies.  You don't live in a bat infested place any more, so it doesn't benefit you.

Letting go of this fear and anger is on you, a lawsuit isn't going to help in those regards.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »
Contact a plaintiff's attorney (personal injury, slip-and-fall, auto accident, medical malpractice, etc.).  They will hear you out at no cost to you.  If your case has merit and collectibility in their view, they'll take your case on a contingency basis.  Most likely they'll sue the landlord's homeowner's insurance. 

You're not going to get rich off a case like this but that's not the point.  The money would probably cover therapy though.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 12:49:25 PM »
Anger over the bats I can totally get.  But you used that anger to better your life.  It serves no benefit to you any more.  Fear of little critters potentially helped prevent you from getting rabies.  You don't live in a bat infested place any more, so it doesn't benefit you.

Letting go of this fear and anger is on you, a lawsuit isn't going to help in those regards.

Eh, I guess you're right.

As least I'm vaccinated now right?  Gotta think positive. 

And TRUST me.  I am working from home right now looking out my window and I am absolutely positively insanely GRATEFUL to be out of the last place.  I practically thank God for it daily as I remember a few nights I simply had to get a hotel room to stay sane and catch up on several weeks of lost sleep.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 12:50:35 PM »

I mean...some people just need to take 60 seconds and truly think to themselves just how quick THEY'd get over waking up to bats in their bedroom.  And one of them I found out did test positive for rabies.  You mean to honestly tell me you wouldn't be angry you had to live that way for 8 frikkin months??  And after moving out you still can't sleep because of it?

Wait, you had to take shots? Good god, this is actionable. Did your landlord gve you ANY compensation, financially, for this mess?

I think a few here who know me would say that I am not a shining beacon of empathy, but your case has passed the IrisLily test. It seems  extremely reasonable to me to make claims in small claims court. You  need specific dollar amounts to go after the landlord. You need to put a price on your esperience to make you whole. Therapist visits, hotel stays, pest conteol, physician visits for shots, for heavens sake these costs are eminantly reasonable to claim. A mother forking RABID BAT!!???

In small claims court your represent yourself, you just loose  whatever time you use away from work, no attorney fees.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:00:08 PM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 12:57:54 PM »
People!This woman had a rabid bat in her house.
The landlord would not solve the problem or let her  out of the lease.
Case closed, award to Econ Diva.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 01:00:30 PM by iris lily »

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 01:15:39 PM »

Well...I encountered 7-8 total that I actually physically saw.  But that one was 1 of only 2 animal control was actually able to catch and test.  (A few got out somehow we think though the bottom of my door, a neighbor came once and let one out of my apartment through a window, a baby one was found dead stuck to a pest glue trap they had taped to my front door one morning when I went to leave the apartment, etc.)

Rabid bat issues have been growing on the side of Chicago I just moved away from and there have been reports of this on the news a few times over the past year or so that I've seen.  (Not saying it's an epidemic or anything.)  And not to say I knew anyone else who had them in their apartment.  I was the only one in my building living with them as my laundry room ceiling was their point of entry into the entire building and I was on the top floor so they were apparently breeding in the roof (none of the professionals could figure out how they were getting in though as they kept coming out, sealing up places, and couldn't identify how they were still getting in).

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 01:25:37 PM »

Wait, you had to take shots? Good god, this is actionable. Did your landlord gve you ANY compensation, financially, for this mess?

I think a few here who know me would say that I am not a shining beacon of empathy, but your case has passed the IrisLily test. It seems  extremely reasonable to me to make claims in small claims court. You  need specific dollar amounts to go after the landlord. You need to put a price on your esperience to make you whole. Therapist visits, hotel stays, pest conteol, physician visits for shots, for heavens sake these costs are eminantly reasonable to claim. A mother forking RABID BAT!!???

In small claims court your represent yourself, you just loose  whatever time you use away from work, no attorney fees.

They deducted the cost of my shots from one of my months' rent.  So they did do something.

At the end of the day what I'm most bitter about is that they wouldn't let me out of the lease. Why?  Because I KNEW I'd have problems sleeping after dealing with this.  I actually already have 'issues' sleeping sometimes as well as anxiety so this incident has put me on another level.  Even my boss called me out about it nicely at one point but she knew I wasn't sleeping.  (Like...not sleeping. AT.ALL.)  I would just sit on the living room couch wrapped up in blankets at night with the door cracked open so I could run out if one flew in.  My neighbor would sometimes peek in the door and be like "Are you still 'sleeping' with the door open??"  I just couldn't stand the thought of not being able to get out quick enough if one came in. 

Yeah I know it's a crazy story. 

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 01:27:30 PM »
Contact a plaintiff's attorney (personal injury, slip-and-fall, auto accident, medical malpractice, etc.).  They will hear you out at no cost to you.  If your case has merit and collectibility in their view, they'll take your case on a contingency basis.  Most likely they'll sue the landlord's homeowner's insurance. 

You're not going to get rich off a case like this but that's not the point.  The money would probably cover therapy though.

Yes to this.  At least go talk to a lawyer with all of your documentation and see what they say.  It's not about the money but it may help you get some closure and help prevent some other person from going through the same thing.

My sister had bedbugs and that was a nightmare for her, I can't imagine what you went and are going through.  I hope the therapy is helping and that you can move forward.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 01:34:17 PM »

Yes to this.  At least go talk to a lawyer with all of your documentation and see what they say.  It's not about the money but it may help you get some closure and help prevent some other person from going through the same thing.

My sister had bedbugs and that was a nightmare for her, I can't imagine what you went and are going through.  I hope the therapy is helping and that you can move forward.

Well....that was why I was so upset by the time I left this place.

I had just broken a lease at another place down the street where I ended up getting bedbugs.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 02:13:16 PM »
Would it help to rig a net over your bed so that you know that no bat or other critter could get to you while sleeping?
Something like this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/36142-siam-bed-canopy-mosquito-net-ivory.html

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 03:58:13 PM »
Would it help to rig a net over your bed so that you know that no bat or other critter could get to you while sleeping?
Something like this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/36142-siam-bed-canopy-mosquito-net-ivory.html

I would do this.  Create a "Cone of safety" in your bed and concentrate on healing yourself.  I wouldn't be against asking advice of lawyer as a poster above suggested if you can make that a tiny part of your waking purpose, but it really sounds as if this created such an impact on you for such a long time that you really need to focus on yourself and not on anybody else right now. 

Losing sleep can literally kill.  So find a way to feel safe and let yourself get the rest you need.

The problem to me is that if something is really that dangerous, you get out and you don't worry about your lease -- you fight that part later.  So by staying and squabbling over a few months of rent money, you kind of accepted the situation.  (I really don't mean to victim-blame, it just downplays how bad it was that you chose money over a potential health situation).
Also, were the bats tested found to actually have rabies?  Because I understand that you get the shots even if you are just exposed because the survival rate is so dim and it's unlikely that anyone would find the actual bat that bit or scratched. 

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 04:52:49 PM »

The problem to me is that if something is really that dangerous, you get out and you don't worry about your lease -- you fight that part later.  So by staying and squabbling over a few months of rent money, you kind of accepted the situation.  (I really don't mean to victim-blame, it just downplays how bad it was that you chose money over a potential health situation).
Also, were the bats tested found to actually have rabies?  Because I understand that you get the shots even if you are just exposed because the survival rate is so dim and it's unlikely that anyone would find the actual bat that bit or scratched.

That's exactly what I said I would do after I encountered the first bat---leave.  I was SO outta there.

Then I took time to think about it.  I spoke to 2 attorneys.  And the thing was:

The first bat appeared one week after I had just renewed my lease for an entire 12 months.  Both attorneys stated I had no recourse for leaving and ultimately am liable for the remainder of the amount left on the lease.  That's up to $1100 times 12 months.  So I stayed up at night. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 05:29:16 PM »

That's exactly what I said I would do after I encountered the first bat---leave.  I was SO outta there.

Then I took time to think about it.  I spoke to 2 attorneys.  And the thing was:

The first bat appeared one week after I had just renewed my lease for an entire 12 months.  Both attorneys stated I had no recourse for leaving and ultimately am liable for the remainder of the amount left on the lease.  That's up to $1100 times 12 months.  So I stayed up at night.
oh, I just assumed that all lease agreements had a penalty of 2 months rent or something similar.  No idea anyone could actually force a 12-month penalty. 
Also, I was picturing an "Amityville Horror" type of escape.  :) 

Blatant

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 06:29:46 AM »
Please clarify: Were any of the bats tested and found to be rabies carriers?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 06:48:05 AM »

Eh, I guess you're right.

As least I'm vaccinated now right?  Gotta think positive. 

And TRUST me.  I am working from home right now looking out my window and I am absolutely positively insanely GRATEFUL to be out of the last place.  I practically thank God for it daily as I remember a few nights I simply had to get a hotel room to stay sane and catch up on several weeks of lost sleep.

The situation that you were in really sucked, and I'm sorry that it happened to you.  Going forward, the best thing you can do is put yourself in a better mind space.  Speaking personally, fighting over this for a long time in court (with no guarantee of victory) would do the opposite . . . just eating time and potentially money to keep dwelling on the past.

plog

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
This is going to sound like I'm a dick and half joking, but I'm serious (still a dick though):

They deducted the cost of my shots from one of my months' rent

So you've been vaccinated for rabies?  You're golden and should have as much fear of bats as I do of cervical cancer. 

If you get rabies you die.  The shots do not help one bit if you have rabies, the shots prevent you from getting rabies.  You received a rabies vaccination which means you now cannot get rabies--even if you are bitten by a rabid bat/rat/dog/homeless guy.  When i got the vaccination 3 years ago I asked how long it was good for.  They said at least 10 years if not life. 

Have peace of mind, and Ozzy Osburne the next flying rat you see because they can't hurt you.   

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 08:26:44 AM »
I agree that you need to talk to a plaintiff's lawyer.  They would take your case on contingency where you pay nothing and they take 1/3rd.  Further, the case might not prolong your suffering.  The attorney does all the negotiations with the insurance adjustor and only if they can't settle does it end up in court.  Even then, they involve you only 5 times or so.  Review the complaint, review the discovery responses, prepare for deposition, deposition, trial.  Also, even if they file suit, that doesn't mean that your case still won't settle beyond a trial.  When I mention the cost of the shots, I meant the out of pocket cost of the shots, not your insurance deductible.  Your health insurance likely has a right to be reimbursed for what they paid on your behalf and would be an interested party in your case too.  This isn't small claims.  This is regular court.  Get a free consult with a PI attorney.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2016, 08:51:30 AM »
Please clarify: Were any of the bats tested and found to be rabies carriers?

Yes.  2 were tested.  1 had rabies.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2016, 08:56:33 AM »
This is going to sound like I'm a dick and half joking, but I'm serious (still a dick though):

So you've been vaccinated for rabies?  You're golden and should have as much fear of bats as I do of cervical cancer. 

If you get rabies you die.  The shots do not help one bit if you have rabies, the shots prevent you from getting rabies.  You received a rabies vaccination which means you now cannot get rabies--even if you are bitten by a rabid bat/rat/dog/homeless guy.  When i got the vaccination 3 years ago I asked how long it was good for.  They said at least 10 years if not life. 

Have peace of mind, and Ozzy Osburne the next flying rat you see because they can't hurt you.   

Ha.  Yeah...trust me I totally understand all of that.  I do.

Do you have anxiety?  Do you know anyone that does?  I just tend to think telling someone to 'have peace of mind' is like telling someone who absolutely knows their plane is highly UNlikely to crash and they are more likely to die in a car accident to 'have a panic attack free flight' as they're boarding an aircraft. 

My brain knows better deep down but I cannot help my physiological reaction to things at this point-they're automatic.

I'll continue some night time relaxation exercises and give it a few more months I guess and consider therapy after that.

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »

Do you have anxiety?  Do you know anyone that does?  I just tend to think telling someone to 'have peace of mind' is like telling someone who absolutely knows their plane is highly UNlikely to crash and they are more likely to die in a car accident to 'have a panic attack free flight' as they're boarding an aircraft. 

My brain knows better deep down but I cannot help my physiological reaction to things at this point-they're automatic.

I'll continue some night time relaxation exercises and give it a few more months I guess and consider therapy after that.

Talk to an attorney anyway just to find out the statute of limitations where you live.  I've seen states with 2 years, 3 years, 6 years.  Some employment cases are 6 months.  You need to know how long you have to decide from when the injury occurred.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2016, 11:48:59 AM »

If you don't feel like you're ready to go full-therapy yet, I've heard good things about The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. It can be really hard to find a path between avoiding the things that make you anxious and wallowing in them and just making yourself more anxious.

I feel like pursuing your landlord in court will almost definitely cause you pain and has only a small chance of a good outcome. 

Also I have woken up to bats in my bedroom! I didn't care for it. This was before I was aware of the rabies danger of bats so I did nothing (beyond getting them out of the house). Obviously I did not get rabies, but years later when I learned that bats can bite you in your sleep it freaked me right the hell out.