Author Topic: Anyone putting off overseas travel due to Corona virus?  (Read 20176 times)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Anyone putting off overseas travel due to Corona virus?
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2020, 05:00:36 PM »
I wouldn’t fly anywhere right now. The entire country of Italy is on a month quarantine. If you are over 65 they aren’t wasting a ventilator on you or reviving you if you code. Their hospitals are at 200% capacity.
Source?

The whole country of Italy was put on lockdown, no nonessential movement, earlier this week.

As for the rest of it: https://www.thelocal.it/20200311/hospitals-are-overwhelmed-italian-doctors-describe-the-struggle-of-fighting-the-coronavirus-outbreak
Yes, it's dreadful there, but I didn't read anything in that article about just letting those over 65 die.

My pharmacist today was shaking her head at the "overreaction".  A PHARMACIST!  She said SARS was worse.  Yes, the disease was worse, but it was quickly contained and caused fewer than 1000 deaths worldwide.

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2020, 05:13:21 PM »
Interesting article from a European (Italian?) doctor regarding people traveling and generally not taking precautions because they're young and healthy.

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797?utm_source=GoogleNewsstandUS&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Partnerships

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2020, 07:52:55 PM »
Sooooo.....European travel ban in US for 30 days.  To prevent new cases, per Trump.  Good luck with that.  This needs to be paired with a lot more measures than just a 30 day travel ban to Europe to prevent new cases, given how easily it spreads.

My travel is not to Europe and is closer to 60 days out, but I need to make some decisions by this weekend, given a flight change option by my airline.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2020, 04:31:25 AM »
Due to the lock down in Italy, a planned trip Athens-Sicily to see my mom over Easter (and work on my house there) is canceled. Still currently planning on the original Hong Kong - Athens trip during that time however to do some paperwork and hour work. Keeping an eye on things. My company's health insurance covers me everywhere in the world (aside from the US) buy Athens's system isn't fantastic and could easily get overwhelmed depending on how things go.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2020, 10:55:37 AM »
If you do decide to travel anywhere, make sure to read the fine print on your health insurance.  Here in Australia, once a pandemic is declared BY THE INSURER (insurers here declared it January 23rd) you are not covered for health related conditions related to an epidemic/pandemic disease.

Not sure about other countries insurance....

Who covers it then?  Or are you talking about for foreign visitors?

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »
The patient would be required to pay.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2020, 02:45:26 PM »
Are you talking Australian citizens or foreign travelers in Australia?  Does that mean any Australians that get sick will be personally on the hook with no way to mitigate the risk of needing some really expensive treatment?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »
Going to Japan in 3 months. Not worried. Positively excited about the prospect of having fewer self-stick wielding visitors to compete with.
Quoting myself a month later. Still going to Japan unless a government tells me I cannot.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2020, 02:48:39 PM »
Got the email today that we can cancel our trip to reschedule it any time in 2020. We have until about a month from now to cancel, I plan on calling next week.

Ugh, this is the third trip I've had to cancel in 3 years. The powers that be don't want me to travel apparently.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2020, 03:05:44 PM »
Wife and I are cancelling a trip to Panama March 15-28. Mother in law retired there and we were going to visit during Spring Break (wife is teacher). We will lose about $1k in nonrefundable airfare and hotels. Small price to pay in my opinion. I don't want to be a spreader of the virus or, of course, die.

I'm also FIREd and very heavy on stocks so this has been just a great week.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2020, 03:32:18 PM »
Going to Japan in 3 months. Not worried. Positively excited about the prospect of having fewer self-stick wielding visitors to compete with.
Quoting myself a month later. Still going to Japan unless a government tells me I cannot.

Make sure you won’t be put under mandatory 14-day quarantine when you arrive. Otherwise, you definitely won’t be battling selfie-stick wielding tourists, but probably not in the way you expected.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2020, 04:05:56 PM »
My SIL was in NC last weekend and flew back to WI on Tuesday.  She was told on arrival that if she came from a state with more than 10 confirmed cases of COVID-19, she would be requested to self isolate for 14 days.  That day, NC only had 7.  Now there are 12.  Wait, it just went up to 15.

I'm booked on a Viking River cruise on May 4th.  They just cancelled all cruises until April 30th.  I personally hope they extend the cancellations, but my 84 year old mother, with her devil may care attitude, still wants to go. 

She's the one who insisted our entire extended family take the last flight into St. Maarten before hurricane Dean brushed by in 1989, she and Dad survived a SE Asia cruise during SARS in 2003, she and she went skydiving on her 80th birthday.  You see what I'm up against...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »

Make sure you won’t be put under mandatory 14-day quarantine when you arrive. Otherwise, you definitely won’t be battling selfie-stick wielding tourists, but probably not in the way you expected.

Double check the places you're going to as well.  There have been a lot of closures in Japan of tourist attractions.

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/things-to-do/attractions-in-tokyo-and-japan-that-are-closed-due-to-covid-19-coronavirus
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:10:06 PM by GuitarStv »

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2020, 07:51:08 AM »
Yes. We have a European trip scheduled: 4/29/2020 to Barcelona, 5/5 cruise Mediterranean ports to Rome 5/12, fly Alitalia to Sicily, Road Scholars tour until 5/22, fly Alitalia to Rome, Rome to TX. We're 72 & will not take the risk of quarantine on a cruise ship or stuck trying to get home, & don't want to go anywhere only to find everything closed.

Seabourn (cruise) has already offered to credit our fully paid cruise to any other in 2020 or 2021; the issue here is how far out to go. Road Scholars has cancelled its trips for April, no word on May yet. RS is offering transfer privileges for those who pay their trip protection fee but we're hoping to avoid that. Our flights to/from Europe were purchased with miles, so we can reinstate them; still need to see if those fees will be waived. Alitalia is non-refundable but cost us $300; we'll ask about rescheduling. We have trip insurance for medical treatment/evacuation but not "cancel for any reason" -- I'm hoping it can be rescheduled since we won't be using it.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2020, 09:02:55 AM »
The decision was made for me.  I was supposed to be on a river cruise in France at the end of the month. Got an email yesterday that all cruises are cancelled until the end of April. They offered full credit to reschedule at a later date. Air France is also waiving change fees to reschedule to a later date. I just hope they can survive suspending operations for a month and a half. If they go tits up, I'll loose $6K on the cruise and another $2k on airfare.  Have to see if travel insurance covers bankruptcy.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2020, 10:23:16 AM »
My SIL was in NC last weekend and flew back to WI on Tuesday.  She was told on arrival that if she came from a state with more than 10 confirmed cases of COVID-19, she would be requested to self isolate for 14 days.  That day, NC only had 7.  Now there are 12.  Wait, it just went up to 15.

I'm booked on a Viking River cruise on May 4th.  They just cancelled all cruises until April 30th.  I personally hope they extend the cancellations, but my 84 year old mother, with her devil may care attitude, still wants to go. 

She's the one who insisted our entire extended family take the last flight into St. Maarten before hurricane Dean brushed by in 1989, she and Dad survived a SE Asia cruise during SARS in 2003, she and she went skydiving on her 80th birthday.  You see what I'm up against...

Your mother is an adult and can make her own decisions, as well as live with the consequences. You are also an adult and are responsible for making decisions for yourself. If you think it wise to cancel the trip for yourself, do so. She can feel however she wants about it, and make whatever decisions she wants.

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2020, 10:30:04 AM »
Not overseas, but we had travel planned to NYC for the end of the month, but everything is closed so will be cancelling.

We have another trip planned at the start of April during our original spring break to a cabin in Gatlinburg, still debating that one.

TrMama

« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »
The decision was made for me.  I was supposed to be on a river cruise in France at the end of the month. Got an email yesterday that all cruises are cancelled until the end of April. They offered full credit to reschedule at a later date. Air France is also waiving change fees to reschedule to a later date. I just hope they can survive suspending operations for a month and a half. If they go tits up, I'll loose $6K on the cruise and another $2k on airfare.  Have to see if travel insurance covers bankruptcy.

Your travel insurance may not cover bankruptcy, but the cc your bought the flights with may.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2020, 12:17:51 PM »
I was planning on taking a vacation to NYC this summer to burn some points, but I'm putting that on hold until things stabilize. Oh well, just have to go camping or something more solitary and local.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2020, 01:19:55 PM »
Our planned trip to the States in July has been pushed back till end of the year. G's school tip to Europe was cancelled and we are waiting to see if his Iceland trip in April will need to be postponed. As of Wednesday they were still planning on it. It may be that our Monster Year of Travel turns into 2 trips to NZ.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2020, 05:22:42 PM »
Well, I was due to pay the balance today of my food tour during my planned trip to the Caucasus in May.  The company has a very fair policy of allowing me to cancel and keep all funds paid on credit for another trip within 2 years, and they have many options, so I felt comfortable with that. 

Then I went on their site to pay and found out they moved my balance due to 19 Apr.  Great!  They've already cancelled all trips through Apr 30, so my trip (staring 9 days later) could very well be canceled, but I'm happy not to have to pay out anymore cash to them now, even if I wouldn't lose it.

At this point, I'm waiting on the airline to cancel the flight and will be waiting for probably at least a month.  They only have flights cancelled at this point through Apr 1 to select countries.

They are offering flexible changes for travellers though.  Currently, the website says they have no change fee for a flight taking place before May 31, 2020, so long as the new ticket is for a flight taking place before May 31, 2020, which....I'm hoping is a mistake or language translation issue?  Because I don't see how that makes any sense?

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2020, 03:17:51 PM »
I was planning on taking a vacation to NYC this summer to burn some points, but I'm putting that on hold until things stabilize. Oh well, just have to go camping or something more solitary and local.
Yesterday I switched our plans to road trip it to a quiet cottage a few hours away planning to hunker down. This morning, we cancelled, eating a small fee. Finally felt like it was more responsible to just stay home - no matter how disappointed we are.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2020, 08:56:41 AM »
Just 10 days+/- into social distancing and only a couple days into shelter in place for a fraction of people in the US and I'm already seeing talk by commentators and thought leaders of "how long can we do this?!!?" "well, 3 weeks is one thing, but humans weren't made to live like this!" "Our economy may not recover" "there are costs to going through another Depression just like going through another Spanish Flu" and "a year or 18 months of this would be a massive transfer of resources and wealth from the younger generation to the older generations."

So, I'm guessing the social isolating and sheltering in place may not last as long as I was guessing (which was another month or so, with some estimates saying we'd need to do it, at least off and on, for a year or 18 months).  What's everyone here thinking?  When will we all be traveling again like nothing's changed?

I actually hope not till late May or June.  I no longer want to go on my trip to the Caucasus in early May, but really would like the airline to cancel the flight so I can get a full refund.  They've cancelled all flights to Georgia through April 1 at this time.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 20, 2020, 10:39:03 AM »
In Shanghai, everything shut down for about six weeks and are just now starting to ramp up again. Social distancing continues to be recommended and nothing is back to normal, but I think the government realizes that businesses have to start producing again. There is a rumor that high schools are reopening 4/6, so high schools were closed for around ten weeks from start to finish.  No word on when elementary schools and preschools are reopening.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:40:41 AM by Freedomin5 »

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2020, 11:04:01 AM »
I'm not even trying to guess right now. Mentally preparing ourselves for 1-2 months and will see what happens next. Good to see China waking up again.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2020, 11:18:10 AM »
In Shanghai, everything shut down for about six weeks and are just now starting to ramp up again. Social distancing continues to be recommended and nothing is back to normal, but I think the government realizes that businesses have to start producing again. There is a rumor that high schools are reopening 4/6, so high schools were closed for around ten weeks from start to finish.  No word on when elementary schools and preschools are reopening.

Good to hear.  I know we are all sort of bracing to see whether there will be a second flare up there once restrictions have been relaxed (like that model from Imperial College London shows happening).  Very best wishes as you all are leading the charge, effectively.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »
I hate to add to any pessimism, but I've been reading a little about the 1918 flu pandemic.  It's a little unsettling that it hit in 3 waves.  There was a small wave in the spring, it subsided in the summer, then hit really hard with two big waves in the fall and winter.  It's kind of unsettling.  I hope that doesn't happen with this. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »
I hate to add to any pessimism, but I've been reading a little about the 1918 flu pandemic.  It's a little unsettling that it hit in 3 waves.  There was a small wave in the spring, it subsided in the summer, then hit really hard with two big waves in the fall and winter.  It's kind of unsettling.  I hope that doesn't happen with this.

Knowing that a flare up is a possibility, wise folks will keep their pantries and cupboards stocked up when times are good, so that they are prepared in case of a second or third flare up.

I usually buy toilet paper in bulk, and I know that I will place an order for TP as soon as we arrive in China and will keep up our stores of nonperishable goods and cleaning supplies for the next year or so, at least until a vaccine is developed.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2020, 01:52:10 PM »
Knowing that a flare up is a possibility, wise folks will keep their pantries and cupboards stocked up when times are good, so that they are prepared in case of a second or third flare up.

I usually buy toilet paper in bulk, and I know that I will place an order for TP as soon as we arrive in China and will keep up our stores of nonperishable goods and cleaning supplies for the next year or so, at least until a vaccine is developed.

Honestly having well a well stocked pantry is just generally a good idea for emergency preparedness. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »

My hope is that by late fall there will be the start of vaccine availability.  It will be educational/informative to see how this develops in southern hemisphere countries, especially the ones with severe winters, as they are going into winter now.

The other advantage is that the 1918 flu hit young adults hardest.  I have always known that, both my Dad's parents died in it, leaving 2 young children.  Young adults are getting sick this time around too, but they are most likely to recover, so the loss of the young adult workforce should not be as bad.

I hope there is also immunity after infection and recovery, my DD has it now.  It has totally hit her lungs and she has zero energy.  It would be nice to know she will be immune afterwards, but at this point no-one knows.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2020, 12:14:08 AM »
Hong Kong is getting its second wave of infections - a fraction of many US and European cities, but a concern since we've worked so hard to keep things under control here. The new cases are mostly from people returning from western countries bringing the virus with them. A number of the new cases have been linked to bars in the "foreigner district" (Lan Kwai Fong) and a wedding in a Western/foreigner beachside development that reminds me of the Stepford Wives (Discovery Bay). There's a lot of resentment against westerners who have cavalier attitudes about not wearing masks and who continue to go out and socialize as if nothing's wrong.

As of last night, schools (including mine) are now closed indefinitely in HK. There's a new 14-day quarantine for travel from everywhere  in the world aside from Mainland China, Macau and Taiwan.

Draconian but there's no way we want any part of what's coming the way of the US and European cities. Our generally useless govt and especially the people of Hong Kong learned from SARS.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2020, 10:08:33 PM »
@expatartist curious about the latest with that second wave - how is it there now?

My flight to the Caucasus was (finally) cancelled and the airline is giving me bullshit about my ticket being non-refundable so they are only offering me a voucher...which apparently has to be used on the exact same itinerary within the same year.  I sent them back a link to the USDOT enforcement notice advising them that I looked forward to my refund.  But we'll see.  Those companies all too often get away with screwing over individual passengers/customers.  I did tell them I was giving them a week before I filed a complaint with the USDOT but that I had already filed a dispute of the charge with my credit card company.  Hope one of these strategies works.  It was the first time ever I had decided to treat myself to business class airfare (lie flat seats) because I often miss two full nights of sleep when I'm traveling halfway around the world and it is so miserable.  So it's a LOT of money.  Very poor luck!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2020, 02:52:43 PM »
Can't you just chargeback the trip on your credit card?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2020, 04:38:17 PM »

I'm not sure what that means? Is it another term for disputing the charge?  (I have done that.)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »

I'm not sure what that means? Is it another term for disputing the charge?  (I have done that.)

Yeah.  If I order something that isn't delivered, I can just tell my credit card company and they refund the money.  Then they go after the person who didn't deliver as promised.  Is that not true of credit cards everywhere?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »

Yeah.  If I order something that isn't delivered, I can just tell my credit card company and they refund the money.  Then they go after the person who didn't deliver as promised.  Is that not true of credit cards everywhere?

they may charge back if the company tells them no.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
Yeah, I think they all do.  My credit card company has put a temporary credit on my account for this, so that's great, but I'm generally expecting that the airline with get back with some mumbo jumbo about how I purchased a non-refundable ticket. And they probably won't reference US DOT guidelines on how their cancellation means I deserve a refund regardless or maybe they will, but make some specious claim about how they aren't subject to it or something?  And then my credit card company will (I'm just guessing) not want to get into the business of who is right about the terms of contracts and US DOT regulations and will just accept the company's excuses?  I'm not sure, hopefully I'm just being pessimistic. I dunno, if others have experience with protracted credit card charge disputes, I'd welcome hearing advice.

My credit card company did tell me that if they don't respond in 90 days, the temporary credit becomes permanent.  Which would be awesome...I just doubt the airline will miss replying to the charge!

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2020, 10:52:28 AM »
^A few million dead people and a few million extreme sick people probably disagree.

Well Im bravely testing the waters on a road trip. Left this morning and will see how things go. Most stuff in my state (CA) are opening but both state parks and national parks are still closed for camping (what I'll be doing) but borrowed a van so can stealth camp if needed. I plan to be very socially distanced from most people so should be OK for others and myself.
The person you're responding to is a spammer. There's no point in discussing the issue with them.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2020, 08:31:56 PM »
Spartana, I hope your trip goes well.  Camping sounds safe to me.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »
Now Europe might be putting off our travel...

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2020-06-23/european-union-considers-banning-americans-from-travel-as-cases-rise-in-us
Read that earlier today myself. Can't say that I blame them!

+1

The only odd thing is that they keep naming individual countries, rather than saying countries that don't meet X criteria, then keep an updated list of which countries that refers to.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2020, 01:53:24 PM »
Lot airlines just cancelled our flight to Poland but not the return trip. It’s weird.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2020, 11:41:06 AM »
So sorry your trip didn’t go well. Nevada’s cases are skyrocketing also. We haven’t been anywhere in 18 months and really want to go to Yosemite but probably doubtful if we could find a place to stay. We sold our motor home in February.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2020, 01:29:24 PM »
Now Europe might be putting off our travel...

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2020-06-23/european-union-considers-banning-americans-from-travel-as-cases-rise-in-us
Read that earlier today myself. Can't say that I blame them!

+1

This is starting playing out exactly like I thought it would.  I don't want to be right on this.  Fortunately the bounce in cases is happening slower than I expected. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 01:32:15 PM by dougules »

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2020, 03:05:17 PM »
It was a total bust. VERY crowded and no camping or motels abailable. Not even wilderness sites in the Sierras. Stayed about a week near Mammoth then came home. Now with things opening up here in Calif cases, deaths, hospitalizations and people in ICU are really rising so I'm likely staying put at home. Unfortunately friends, BF and family are all starting to participate in big group activities and going back to work so maybe off in a remote mountain town is the best place to be. Some places are starting to close again as well as postpone fully opening due to the increased numbers. In my county today was the highest number of deaths and this week.has the highest number of new cases (more testing?) as well as hospitalization and ICU.
I hope we don't have problems with this if we manage to get on the road. We're planning to utilize a lot of National Forest and BLM areas that would probably be less than full under normal circumstances but I've read about the hordes of people turning to camping to get away from home. Hopefully as long as we're not near major cities this won't be an issue.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2020, 02:34:10 AM »
It was a total bust. VERY crowded and no camping or motels abailable. Not even wilderness sites in the Sierras. Stayed about a week near Mammoth then came home. Now with things opening up here in Calif cases, deaths, hospitalizations and people in ICU are really rising so I'm likely staying put at home. Unfortunately friends, BF and family are all starting to participate in big group activities and going back to work so maybe off in a remote mountain town is the best place to be. Some places are starting to close again as well as postpone fully opening due to the increased numbers. In my county today was the highest number of deaths and this week.has the highest number of new cases (more testing?) as well as hospitalization and ICU.
I hope we don't have problems with this if we manage to get on the road. We're planning to utilize a lot of National Forest and BLM areas that would probably be less than full under normal circumstances but I've read about the hordes of people turning to camping to get away from home. Hopefully as long as we're not near major cities this won't be an issue.
I don't know about BLM camping but seems crazy packed everywhere. Much more crowded then pre- covid times. I think it is doable now that stores and gas stations, etc  in the nearby towns are open...for now. I'd still be very hesitant to do a long multi month trip but seems you guys are pretty prepared and willing to make sure you don't bring your out of state covid cooties to the small towns. Some places are starting to close again or stall their planned reopening so that's something to consider to. I will say that people are NOT very cautious here and it is becoming harder to practice social distancing then before. You might find even remote places much more crowded then pre-covid times because so many people want to get away so your own risk is increased along with the risk of you bringing covid into the next place you visit.

Yeah, our cottage is a 15-minute drive from a small town where most cottagers usually go to stock up as they have several grocery stores and a Walmart.  The Mayors of the small towns in cottage country are asking the city folk to bring up their own groceries and minimize trips into town so as not to pass on COVID cooties to local residents. They worry that their small rural hospitals won’t be able to handle a wave of COVID infections.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2020, 08:37:43 AM »
I will say that people are NOT very cautious here and it is becoming harder to practice social distancing then before. You might find even remote places much more crowded then pre-covid times because so many people want to get away so your own risk is increased along with the risk of you bringing covid into the next place you visit.

That kind of surprises me.  I fully expected Southerners to ignore social distancing based on the culture here, but I kind of thought the whole West Coast would take it seriously.  The numbers suggest that that's true in the Bay Area and the PNW, but not in Southern California.  I'm not very familiar with Southern California, and I guess it's more different from the Bay Area and the PNW than I realized.  Are things playing out the way you expected based on the culture in Southern California? 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
I think that people tend to forget that SoCal is politically and culturally diverse. There are communities very dependent on family and community for meeting basic needs, there are large Trump supporting enclaves who are still insisting that these measures are a political hoax.

And God damnit, I don't care how cautious you are, it is your God given right to go to the beach. I have an immuno compromised friend who complained about the crowds making social distancing impossible at the beach AND complained when the parking lots were closed to limit the crowds.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!