Author Topic: Any IT / Network guys? Need help connecting to MMM forum...  (Read 4206 times)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Any IT / Network guys? Need help connecting to MMM forum...
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:56:08 AM »
Okay so maybe someone can help me.

I got a new phone, Samsung Galaxy Express Prime ( great budget phone so far) on ATT mobile network.

On Wifi I can connect to MMM forums, but on the mobile network I cant.    I Downloaded a DNS changer (and used googles DNS) so I didnt have to use the ISP DNS and that worked also.

For now I just saved the "45.55.151.63" IP address to the MMM forums in my bookmarks and it also works that way.

I dont know much about networking stuff, but it appears to be an issue with ATT's DNS ?     

Any suggestions or solutions? Or do I just keep using the bookmarked IP address?   I didnt have this problem on my last phone... 

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
Re: Any IT / Network guys? Need help connecting to MMM forum...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:17:54 AM »
Well what phone are you using? Did you try different browers apps? What browser are you running? Did you power the phone down and reboot?

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:47:26 AM »
Well what phone are you using? Did you try different browers apps? What browser are you running? Did you power the phone down and reboot?

1.) Samsung Galaxy Express Prime

2.) Running Chrome - Tried Firefox, also didnt work

3.) Reboot phone -yes    still doesnt work.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:54:28 AM »
Resetting the phone to factory settings is a reasonable first step.  DNS is not working properly (as you surmised) so I'd call AT&T and troubleshoot with them if resetting doesn't work.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:54:46 AM »
Well it sounds like you were correct, it's probably a DNS issue.  Other than getting to a different tower and trying it or maybe turning airplane mode on and off several times the issue seems to be upstream from your device. Calling ATT might do something, but probably not. You might just have to wait it out, but you have the IP to the forum so unless a bunch of sites are broken it's probably not worth reporting.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:55 AM »
Well it sounds like you were correct, it's probably a DNS issue.  Other than getting to a different tower and trying it or maybe turning airplane mode on and off several times the issue seems to be upstream from your device. Calling ATT might do something, but probably not. You might just have to wait it out, but you have the IP to the forum so unless a bunch of sites are broken it's probably not worth reporting.

This is the direction I was leaning.    Just the MMM forum doesnt work.  The main blog does.  I have found no other sites with issues.

I can picture myself now trying to explain that Im having a AT&T DNS issue with the level 1 customer service.    That could be a 8 hour phone call b4 I get the correct transfer lol.

I think since the IP works ill just stick with that! 

Thanks for responses.

Nate R

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »
I've had the same problem since they moved the forum to a new server. Works on Wifi, and on desktop, but not over mobile network.

On a Samsung  as well, also on AT&T.

Thanks for the tip about the forum IP address, I'll have to give that a shot.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
Long time DNS administrator here...

It is theoretically possible that the ATT DNS server still has the old forum IP address cached. 

I don't know specifics about how they transitioned the forums, but there are a few things you can do that will leave the old IP addresses in cache across the internet.  If that happens, you sort of just have to wait until the cache values time out.  No DNS server admin is likely to flush caches on their servers for sites that change IPs.  (If you did, you'd be doing nothing all day long but this.)

With a command line, these sorts of things are easy to check... but not entirely sure what tools are available on your phone.  If you know the ATT DNS server IP(s), I can attempt to poke at them but:
1) I may not be able to hit them off network
2) it's more than likely that they're using load balancers or anycast IP addresses such that even if I knew the IP... I'd be hitting a different server than you

---geeky details you probably don't care about--  --You can stop here if you want.--

Every DNS "question" gets an answer with a TTL (time to live) value in seconds.  You can specify it as almost nothing (1 second) or specify it as up to a week long.  When a DNS server (like ATT's DNS server) queries the DNS server for mmm.com... it will get the answer and cache it for as long as the TTL says to cache it.

When you transition a site... it's possible the DNS is set high.  Before you transition, you need to set the TTL to something low (like an hour)... and then wait.  In other words, if your TTL is a week, you need to set it to an hour a week in advance... so the cached values won't be sitting there. 

Now: I'm not saying that's what happened.  I'm just saying... this is something that happens commonly.  When it does... you pretty much just have to wait.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »
Whats this about a server migration?  Was this 1-4 weeks ago?   So far ive been trying to figure out how my new phone (that I got in the last month) is different.    But if there was a server migration that explains so much... lol

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 01:51:18 PM »
Whats this about a server migration?  Was this 1-4 weeks ago?   So far ive been trying to figure out how my new phone (that I got in the last month) is different.    But if there was a server migration that explains so much... lol

Yup!  Feb. 23rd.

Edited to add:  More threads on forum issues in the Forums and FAQ section of the forums, including some others about the migration.  Might even want to post yours there.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
Willing to bet it is due to migration also!  Give it a few more days.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 05:25:37 PM »
May be related to Ipv6 settings with the forum migration. Pete has just updated that, takes a bit to go into effect, but if not fixed by, say, Thursday at noon, please post again.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.