Author Topic: (Removed)  (Read 9593 times)

less4success

• Stubble
(Removed)
« on: October 29, 2015, 10:00:45 PM »
(removed)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:51:47 PM by less4success »

tjthebest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Android question: how to disable AT&T Address Book?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 11:26:48 PM »
Is there a clear defaults button in the application settings?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 06:55:14 AM »
Rooting will probably be the only effective way to remove the app. I say, if you go that far, you might as well just take the couple extra steps to make your life easier and install CyanogenMod instead of trying to clean up the stock install. (Just make sure it's the E970 and not the E975 before you get started so you get the right instructions and firmware build.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:57:55 AM by I.P. Daley »

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »
Is there a clear defaults button in the application settings?

Not exactly sure what you mean, but I think the answer is no. The context menu does nothing in the app, the context menu for the Phone app doesn't have any settings that help, and the general entry in application settings doesn't let me do anything except temporarily stop the app.

Let me know if you had something else in mind!

I think they meant something like this: http://www.greenbot.com/article/2151008/how-to-set-and-clear-default-applications-in-android.html

I mostly like Android, but some of their system settings are super wonky. Check in your Applications manager for the specific app, and there might be something there.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 08:43:34 AM »
Rooting will probably be the only effective way to remove the app. I say, if you go that far, you might as well just take the couple extra steps to make your life easier and install CyanogenMod instead of trying to clean up the stock install. (Just make sure it's the E970 and not the E975 before you get started so you get the right instructions and firmware build.)

Aren't there security concerns with rooting the device? While I'm sure rooting would work, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that far just to rid the phone of one piece of crapware :)
When using your computer, you know when windows turns the whole screen dark and says something like "This program needs to make changes to your system.  Are you ok with that?"?  Android works in a similar way, once you have root.  If an app needs those extra permissions (and very few do), it'll ask you.  So while it's *possible* to cause more problems on a rooted phone, it's not likely.

Once you have root, I highly recommend this app for removing all the pre-installed bloatware