Author Topic: Amazon prime  (Read 4779 times)

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
Amazon prime
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:01:54 PM »
I have an Amazon prime membership (done, paid for not part of debate). This gets me free 2 day shipping. Sometimes when I go to check out I get offered either my free 2 day shipping OR slower shipping (5-7 days) and an offer or some sort. $5 off Amazon Pantry, $2 credit for amazon movies.  Is there anyway to control what the offer is? Because for the past month or so the choice has been 2 day shipping or $5 off luxury beauty items. Now I'm ordering gifts for Christmas so I totally do NOT need 2 day shipping and I don't mind waiting a week... but I also do not need $5 in luxury beauty stuff so their offer is useless for me. Is there anyway to get them to go back to offering me $2 in free movies? Because my husband loves to watch the movies and I'd be fine with slow shipping.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Amazon prime
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
I don't think so. I believe they use that slot to market whatever of their businesses want to pony up offers. I tend to use the $1 off digital downloads pretty regularly; otherwise, I make them ship in 2 days and complain when they miss the guaranteed delivery date, netting a free month of Prime each time. (If I could figure out how to get them to use that horrendous UPS Mail Innovations service, I'd get a free month every dang time.)

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »
and complain when they miss the guaranteed delivery date, netting a free month of Prime each time.

oooh I didn't know that was an option. I have a rediculously overdue package, although it wasn't on prime...

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »
and complain when they miss the guaranteed delivery date, netting a free month of Prime each time.

oooh I didn't know that was an option. I have a rediculously overdue package, although it wasn't on prime...

I preordered an item on June 13th, the item was released December 1st, and I was told on November 28th that the shipping estimate is December 14th. I gave them enough notice........

I digress. OP could try getting Amazon to figure out what you want. Amazon is tracking you as you travel the internet and especially while you are on their site. If you look around at particular types of products, Amazon will figure out that is what you want. Whether it decides to incentivize you with a discount on a random checkout screen is unknown. I'd guess but Amazon may be far more intelligent that I am assuming.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 10:35:03 PM »
Trying to "beat" the service with your browsing sounds like a good idea, but it's actually more complicated than that. I worked on targeted advertising for a while and sometimes the cue would be that you might not be aware of the service. So by browsing movies it might decide you need to learn about the Kindle program since you never visit that part of the site. Big companies like Amazon will switch this up fairly often as their strategy evolves for you specifically as a user.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 05:11:44 AM »
Sadly it's probably my browsing history that made them switch to beauty. I bought some empty lip balm tubes (which I used to make lip balm which I sold for a profit at a craft fair). It probably thinks I'm into beauty now. <sigh> nope. sorry Amazon I'm into profit.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 07:51:50 AM »
Trying to "beat" the service with your browsing sounds like a good idea, but it's actually more complicated than that. I worked on targeted advertising for a while and sometimes the cue would be that you might not be aware of the service. So by browsing movies it might decide you need to learn about the Kindle program since you never visit that part of the site. Big companies like Amazon will switch this up fairly often as their strategy evolves for you specifically as a user.

Maybe that's why they're only offering my Pantry credits. I would use it if the prices were good and the whole shipping thing were simpler.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »
I always take the 2 day shipping unless the offer is for the digital movie/mp3 credits. It's been awhile since I've had this offer.

For some reason they are always offering me the pantry credits, which I have never taken.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 02:18:48 PM »
I don't think so. I believe they use that slot to market whatever of their businesses want to pony up offers. I tend to use the $1 off digital downloads pretty regularly; otherwise, I make them ship in 2 days and complain when they miss the guaranteed delivery date, netting a free month of Prime each time. (If I could figure out how to get them to use that horrendous UPS Mail Innovations service, I'd get a free month every dang time.)

My prime membership is up end of the month.  Couple weeks ago I ordered something worth $24 with the regular 2 day shipping.  On the day of the delivery I got a message to expect it by 8pm.  Then at around 7pm I got another message that "Oops, sorry, it will be there in 3-5 days".  I was in no rush, so waited 2 days and then called Amazon complaining about the delay with the hope of extending my membership another month before I have to renew.  Instead, they just refunded my money $24 without me even asking for anything and told me to keep the product when it gets to me.  That's worth 3 months of membership. 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »

My prime membership is up end of the month.  Couple weeks ago I ordered something worth $24 with the regular 2 day shipping.  On the day of the delivery I got a message to expect it by 8pm.  Then at around 7pm I got another message that "Oops, sorry, it will be there in 3-5 days".  I was in no rush, so waited 2 days and then called Amazon complaining about the delay with the hope of extending my membership another month before I have to renew.  Instead, they just refunded my money $24 without me even asking for anything and told me to keep the product when it gets to me.  That's worth 3 months of membership.
I've found this to be the case too.  I complained about a delivery being late on a $40 video game (not actually urgent).  They refunded me the $40, and extended my Prime membership by a month.  I also complained two other times and got two additional months added on.  I order enough shit off Amazon each year that I always get at least one or two months free due to this (overall they are fantastic with deliveries being on time).

sirspendstoomuch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 11:11:42 AM »
From what I've read, if you accept whatever the offer is, the next might be different, but often if you don't accept, it stays the same.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 06:53:03 PM »

I've found this to be the case too.  I complained about a delivery being late on a $40 video game (not actually urgent).  They refunded me the $40, and extended my Prime membership by a month.  I also complained two other times and got two additional months added on.  I order enough shit off Amazon each year that I always get at least one or two months free due to this (overall they are fantastic with deliveries being on time).

Thanks so much for sharing this tip!  I just had an item delivered late by one day (a UPS delay) and decided to contact Amazon via chat to ask for a one-month extension of my Prime membership.  They granted that request, no problem at all.  It was quite easy!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!