Author Topic: Am I the only person that legitimately would not want to win the lottery?  (Read 20094 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
I read other threads about people dreaming about winning the lottery, etc.

Am I the only one that doesn't want to win? And that playing, even for fun, increases the risk that I would win?

I understand you could probably find a way to make it so you anonymously won, or otherwise were not publicly known.

It'd clearly give the ability to FIRE and do things with money but realistically it'd be pretty tricky, because you'd have to either 1) just most of the money to a foundation/charity (probably the best bet) or 2) live a secret life while trying to manage it. Alternatively you could just throw your ticket away, I guess..

While yes, it'd be nice to pocket a few million and comfortably FIRE, you're still going to have to deal with people who know you wondering "how did you manage to retire so early?" and for me, I'm young enough that "saved a lot, spend little" really won't be a believable statement.

Anyone else legitimately not want to play the crazy-lottery for similar reasons?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
A giant windfall would certainly be trading your current set of circumstances/problems for another.

I haven't bought a lottery ticket in a while (more than a year or two?) but my plan has always been to share a giant windfall with my family and friends, so we can all have rich people problems together. :)

Wilson Hall

• Stubble
Ender, I don't think I'd like to win it, either. Most, if not all, of the state lotteries in the U.S. require the winners to be interviewed, photographed, and thus fitted with a huge target on their backs.  As an introvert, I find this appalling. As a somewhat-rational human being surrounded by people who aren't so rational, particularly when it comes to money matters, I find this terrifying.

Just the other night, one of my family members was talking a little too excitedly about "what-ifs" and the Lotto. It was all I could do to refrain from unleashing the facepunching.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
I'm with you. I dont want to win $1.4B. Winning something the $1M second prize would be nice since I could then FIRE immediately.

TrMama

I also think winning a huge jackpot sounds terrible. There's no way to claim the cash anonymously here and the thought of having my name and photo published with the win is horrifying to me. I've seen how slimeballs come out of the woodwork when even a small amount of money changes hands. Although, I don't love my current job, I don't want to quit and make "defending the giant stash from the slimeballs" my next job.

Plus, the chances of winning are smaller than the chances of being hit by lightening. Any money available for buying lottery tickets is much better off being added to the guaranteed stash accumulating in my investment account.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
I am not playing this current lotto for that very reason. $1.4 bil is TOO MUCH. Especially publicly. No way.

I would be more than happy with a million or two. That's it!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
+1
Dont want the trouble. A few more years and I will be doing "from home consulting" or whatever. If i did win the lottery I would not be happy doing anything other than what I plan to do in Fire anyways, but the lotto would mean the added risk of someone finding out( and I live in SC where you can be anon).

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
It's mindboggling to me that with all the reported problems and issues lottery winners have had over the years that so many states won't let winners claim the prize in anonymity.  Maybe I don't want to be stalked by everyone who's ever known me looking for handouts.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
Meh, seems like a small price to pay.  Take a photo, get your name blurbed everywhere, probably all over the world.  In exchange you get a large share of 1.4 billion.

Steps to take:
Delete any social media
Toss phone in nearest body of water
Cash checks.

Then just disappear.  Go to Europe.  Charter a boat and island hop the Caribbean for a year.  Buy camping gear and go to the Boundary waters canoe area and arrange to have supplies flown in once a month.  Or insert whatever remote destination you would enjoy.

Granted I have no kids, don't feel the need to see family all that often, and no real attachment to my current location.

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
My coworkers and I were recently discussing this and came to the conclusion that the best outcome is to have all numbers BUT the Powerball.

It's a million-dollar payout; enough to make a positive difference in life but not enough to ruin it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
Re: Am I the only person that legitimately would not want to win the lottery?
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
I read somewhere that you can change your name. Claim the prize. Then later change it back... Might be a way to avoid a lot of hassle.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
I read somewhere that you can change your name. Claim the prize. Then later change it back... Might be a way to avoid a lot of hassle.
Even better: change your name to something obscene-sounding that newspapers will refuse to print.  Or just Bill Buttlicker.

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 01:27:08 PM »
I just published a blog post on this today. Not wanting to win the lottery and not playing the lottery are two different questions. I think if someone gave me a ticket and I won... I would have a hard time not believing in that moment it wasn't a good thing...but I'm doubtful it would make me any happier in the long run. I actually think I would be less happy with a billion dollars than I am now as odd as that sounds on the surface.

http://thehappyphilosopher.com/1300000000-ways-to-be-less-happy/

Sorry for spamming the forum with my own link but it's probably easier than me trying to summarize my thoughts here :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 01:28:30 PM »
I wouldn't want to win that much money.  The hassle of everyone asking you for money, not being anonymous, no thanks!

However, I did put 5 bucks in the office pool, because you don't want to be the only person coming in to work if they all win.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 01:39:17 PM »
For everyone worried about winning that much, you could always donate 99% of it and have ~5mil left.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:18 PM »
I wouldn't want to win that much money.  The hassle of everyone asking you for money, not being anonymous, no thanks!

However, I did put 5 bucks in the office pool, because you don't want to be the only person coming in to work if they all win.

LOL this is really my wife's dilemma... "I'm going to feel really bad if I don't put money into the pool and the group wins" but on the other hand "I'm gonna end up putting money in every week and winning nothing" hahaha.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 02:10:58 PM »
I would be happy to win. Haven't bought a ticket yet, but might get roped into the work pool this afternoon, we will see.

Dealing with winning wouldn't be easy, but nothing in life is easy. I don't know what I would do, nobody really does. But I do know I'm no dumb kid or dumb sheep, I would make mistakes but I wouldn't lose my head. Anyone can prove me wrong by giving me the winning ticket and see what I do...

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 02:20:05 PM »
I'd probably say that the benefits of winning would outweigh the negatives, even though they're definitely a real issue. From the other thread about how one would spend the winnings, the majority said they'd give a large portion of it to charity. Maybe if you made the donation in a very public manner it would deter people from trying to hit you up for the money? "Yes, I did win all this money but I've already given it all to the Gates Foundation, so please move along..."

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
I would be happy to win. Haven't bought a ticket yet, but might get roped into the work pool this afternoon, we will see.

Dealing with winning wouldn't be easy, but nothing in life is easy. I don't know what I would do, nobody really does. But I do know I'm no dumb kid or dumb sheep, I would make mistakes but I wouldn't lose my head. Anyone can prove me wrong by giving me the winning ticket and see what I do...

I would think anyone winning that kind of money would be apprehensive. No doubt. But I'm a bit disappointed in the negativity of winning the lottery.

Even if winning were to make my life worse, look at the good that could be done.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »

I would think anyone winning that kind of money would be apprehensive. No doubt. But I'm a bit disappointed in the negativity of winning the lottery.

Even if winning were to make my life worse, look at the good that could be done.

Not to think that Mr. Zuckerburg has won the lottery but just look at all the ugly responses to his plans to turn his massive holdings into a charitable endeavor.  In my work circles, the feeling was overwhelmingly negative.  The disdain was alarming.  But its really just that ugly green monster...the ultra rich are seen as having something they don't deserve and therefore the masses assume they should have a slice of the very same thing the other person didn't deserve.

Also the issue of being the only person left in the office can be thwarted simply by having FU money! 

purple monkey

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »
I read other threads about people dreaming about winning the lottery, etc.

Am I the only one that doesn't want to win? And that playing, even for fun, increases the risk that I would win?

I understand you could probably find a way to make it so you anonymously won, or otherwise were not publicly known.

It'd clearly give the ability to FIRE and do things with money but realistically it'd be pretty tricky, because you'd have to either 1) just most of the money to a foundation/charity (probably the best bet) or 2) live a secret life while trying to manage it. Alternatively you could just throw your ticket away, I guess..

While yes, it'd be nice to pocket a few million and comfortably FIRE, you're still going to have to deal with people who know you wondering "how did you manage to retire so early?" and for me, I'm young enough that "saved a lot, spend little" really won't be a believable statement.

Anyone else legitimately not want to play the crazy-lottery for similar reasons?

Yes, I would love to win the lottery!
Thanks for the thread!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 03:23:52 PM »
Meh, seems like a small price to pay.  Take a photo, get your name blurbed everywhere, probably all over the world.  In exchange you get a large share of 1.4 billion.

Steps to take:
Delete any social media
Cash checks.

Then just disappear.  Go to Europe.  Charter a boat and island hop the Caribbean for a year.  Buy camping gear and go to the Boundary waters canoe area and arrange to have supplies flown in once a month.  Or insert whatever remote destination you would enjoy.

Granted I have no kids, don't feel the need to see family all that often, and no real attachment to my current location.

Agreed.. Buya  freaking island for crying out loud.... Very small price to pay indeed.

And lets face it, most people who won would be broke in 5 years anyway.. What a waste.

I remember this gal from when I was a kid.. stupid stupid stupid.. I even thought so and I only found out when I was about 5 years old!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spend_Spend_Spend

ReadySetMillionaire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »

Steps to take:
Delete any social media
Cash checks.

Agree with this. I think people overestimate the permanence of the celebrity status of these short term news stories.

What's the name of the balloon boy? What about that kid in Texas who built a clock that looked like a bomb? Can you even name a previous lottery winner?

The issue would obviously be personal connections. That might be tough but that'd be an okay problem to have for me, because I have no problem telling people "no thanks."

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »

Steps to take:
Delete any social media
Cash checks.

Agreed.. Buya  freaking island for crying out loud.... Very small price to pay indeed.

To be fair, leaving my family and basically changing my identity is a very, very non-trivial price to pay.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 03:42:35 PM »

Steps to take:
Delete any social media
Cash checks.

To be fair, leaving my family and basically changing my identity is a very, very non-trivial price to pay.

With $1.4bn.. Take your family with you..:)

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 04:22:36 PM »
I thought  about buying a ticket, but after thinking about what would happen if I won I decided against it.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 04:31:10 PM »
I can't imagine anyone here actually not liking the idea of having that money, and if you won, its easy enough to get a lawyer and a financial adviser to make the win super easy for you.  I personally don't play because I don't really think about it when I'm out shopping.  When people at work offer to go in as a group, I typically do if someone else is getting the tickets.  The odds are slim and its just not in the front of my thoughts.

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 04:45:57 PM »
What are you guys so afraid of?? If you didn't want the hassle of having that much money, you could simply give 99%(or 100%) of it away and be seen as the next coming of Mother Teresa. What's so bad about that?

Continuing with that thought, if you didn't want the money, then "throwing the ticket away" or otherwise not claiming your prize would be a pretty terrible thing to do. You would essentially be giving a billion dollars to some idiot to blow on toys, instead of using it to do good (and that much money can do a pissload of good). Orphans, thirsty people, stray dogs, whatever you like.

Maybe you might not like the attention that would come with being seen as the crazy person who gave a billion dollars away, but keep in mind that people have attention spans of about 3 seconds and it would be pretty selfish to not take the money for that reason alone.

If I were to win, I would probably shave a couple million off the top for me and my immediate family, then invest the rest and donate the returns until I die. If my third cousin twice removed hates me because he really needs some money, he can get ****ed. Any friendships or relationships that suffer from this are probably junk in the first place, so good riddance.

OvertheRainbow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 04:47:27 PM »
I would like to win but I wouldn't want anyone else to know about it...THAT is what causes problems as well as lifestyle inflation.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 05:16:12 PM »
I know the feeling... sometimes I think of winning a huge lottery and how it would become a full-time job.  But that sounds fun for me, and if it ever isn't fun, just pay someone to do the job or give most of it away.  Complaining about winning the lottery is a bit like complaining about getting a bonus "because it pushes me into the next tax bracket"

Totally agree... there are a lot of famous people with much less than 1.4 billion who seem to do just fine.

I think people overestimate the permanence of the celebrity status of these short term news stories.

Yeah, unless you make a huge ass of yourself, no regular folk will recognize you.  Scammers might still target you, though.

JoeBlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 06:39:14 PM »
You people that say you wouldn't want to win baffle me.  Just don't tell anyone but a tax lawyer from a top 10 US law firm, have him/her set up trust (blind perhaps) and give the lottery ticket to the trust.  Now you are the billionaire next door that nobody realizes.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 07:08:48 PM »
You people that say you wouldn't want to win baffle me.  Just don't tell anyone but a tax lawyer from a top 10 US law firm, have him/her set up trust (blind perhaps) and give the lottery ticket to the trust.  Now you are the billionaire next door that nobody realizes.

While I would want to win, it often isn't as simple as this and often you are required to not be anonymous.  I don't know if there is truly no way around that, but it may not be possible to just not tell anyone.

I'm sure there would be greedy people coming out of the woodwork, and that would be unpleasant.  With the insane sums of this particularly jackpot, you can throw a lot of money at that problem, however, which would mitigate it, it not stop it entirely.  Establish a non-profit trust of some sort, hire someone you trust thoroughly, and tell anyone who asks that all requests for money need to be directed to that entity.  Repeat as often as necessary. 

Sure, there are downsides.  And yes, I think we are all more or less equipped to deal with the kinds of problems we grew up around, as sort of a cultural literacy.  When our situations change dramatically, we are suddenly faced with a set of problems for which we don't have that same literacy.  I imagine it's a bit like moving to another country and not knowing simple things.  But I can't imagine the upside, for me, wouldn't outweigh the downside.  I'm not as minimalist as many here, and 2000 sqft within walking distance of the beach, and month in Europe every year, while neither DH nor I ever had to go to work, would be incredible.  I suspect we'd still play at finances since we find it interesting.  If you have half a billion dollars, you probably don't need rental properties, but I'd still make it a hobby.  And maybe, if the right person came along, my "giving" branch could have one of them to provide free or very low cost rent to someone deserving.  Being able to do that on a large scale would be incredible. 

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 08:02:03 PM »
Meh. 

I have great friends I can rely on in times of need, can afford to eat well, get massages, sleep in a warm dry place, and still save more money.

Honestly I feel like I've already won the lottery.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 08:19:15 PM »
I wouldn't mind winning.  Of course, I'd have to actually play in order to have a chance to win.  Regardless, if I came into that much money, I'd actually be happy because I could pay off the houses of everyone I care about, and give them all enough money to live very comfortably the rest of their lives. 

Aside from that, I'd probably get more involved in politics.  There's a lot of things that could be improved and a large fortune gets you a place at the table for affecting large change.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 08:28:53 PM »
We don't play, so our chances our zero. If we did win, it would give us the chance to help a lot of people, which would be lovely. But besides that, I'm quite happy with where we are. So many blessings to simply be alive with a roof, food, utilities, transportation, clothing, health, in the US...

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 08:41:46 PM »
My idle research has yielded the idea that you collect it under a trust or LLC and then don't have to release your name.  You do not have to do the promotional events, pictures, etc, but by law in almost all states they have to release your name to show they really gave the money away.  This came after lottery officials kept the money for themselves.

So, hold onto the ticket, open a trust, and if someone really wants to dig, then can find out who is in the trust, but most people won't make that much effort.

And I agree, give away 99% of it.  I thought it would be great to open grocery stores in food deserts and supply them with food from local farmers, and not care if it operated at a loss, because um, 1.4 billion dollars.  And you'd be helping a lot of people. 

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2016, 04:50:10 AM »
I would like to win and keep it as private as possible. It appears that trusts can claim the prize - so that would be my plan in order to minimize public exposure. I assume if your name gets out the media might show up at your front door - so I'd escape somewhere all inclusive and warm for a few weeks and let things simmer down. I would need some time for mental adjustment and planning anyhow, which would best be accomplished at a very fancy resort that keeps out the riff-raff non-lottery-winners. :P

I would fly first class for the rest of my life. It otherwise will never be worth the cost to me - but with hundreds of millions of dollars - yeah, I'd go for it.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2016, 05:51:23 AM »
Regardless, if I came into that much money, I'd actually be happy because I could pay off the houses of everyone I care about, and give them all enough money to live very comfortably the rest of their lives. 
That sounds good, but when I think it through, there are a few people in my life who would squander the money immediately and just get themselves further into debt. I can see that causing major rifts between us. I would end up being furious that they took "my" money (even though it was a gift) and wasted it, they would want more money to bail themselves out of their new set of problems. If I let them stay broke they would think I was the worst person ever but if I kept bailing them out they would think of me as their permanent ATM.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2016, 06:22:55 AM »
Regardless, if I came into that much money, I'd actually be happy because I could pay off the houses of everyone I care about, and give them all enough money to live very comfortably the rest of their lives. 
That sounds good, but when I think it through, there are a few people in my life who would squander the money immediately and just get themselves further into debt. I can see that causing major rifts between us. I would end up being furious that they took "my" money (even though it was a gift) and wasted it, they would want more money to bail themselves out of their new set of problems. If I let them stay broke they would think I was the worst person ever but if I kept bailing them out they would think of me as their permanent ATM.

I have a friend who I would set up a trust or something to pay her bills. I would not trust her to adequately manage money (I know she can't already). I don't think you would just have to hand over a million dollars or whatever to someone if you wanted to help them. There are lots of ways to take over house payments w/o paying off the house, start a college fund for the kids, etc. The money could come w/ the condition of working with a financial advisor/trust/etc. who oversee what/where the money goes.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2016, 08:24:19 AM »
I bought my tickets in a state where I can claim anonymously.  So Lottery Gods, feel free to burden me with winning the jackpot!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2016, 08:34:43 AM »
I have a friend who I would set up a trust or something to pay her bills. I would not trust her to adequately manage money (I know she can't already). I don't think you would just have to hand over a million dollars or whatever to someone if you wanted to help them. There are lots of ways to take over house payments w/o paying off the house, start a college fund for the kids, etc. The money could come w/ the condition of working with a financial advisor/trust/etc. who oversee what/where the money goes.
I have some relatives who I couldn't even have faith in if the money was given to them as a trust. I'm thinking of one who - while her house was being foreclosed on and she was declaring bankruptcy and I think even on food stamps, bought a $500 cat. And with her parents cosigning a house loan managed to default on her loan and then destroy the house so it couldn't be resold (upstairs water damage due to a completely unqualified plumber, which she was incidentally cheating on her husband with). She ended up pulling all the drywall but not replacing it, and living in the house with no internal wall, just the studs. Then she had a fit when her parents tried to step in and hire a contractor to fix it so they could sell the house because they weren't treating her like an adult. They ended up not speaking to each other for years.

Some people I just have to step away from financially and not get involved, for my own sanity.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 11:05:22 AM »

Yeah, my bestie is just awful with money.  If we decided to help her, it would likely be a specific offer, like paying off her mortgage or massive (6 figure) student loans, rather than "we'll give you $x,000!" because it would kill me to give her a ton of money and then hear about her money problems again in 6 months while she holds an expensive handbag.

Truthfully I don't even know if we would give money to friends. While I'd want to help them, I'd fear that mixing money in to the relationships might create awkwardness or expectations or something.  Maybe it would be better to use that money to help strangers whose need is greater anyway.   That would be one of the toughest decisions I'd have to make I think.

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »
+1 for the I'd like to win and stay anonymous team.

I did not know that most US lotteries require winners to be interviewed. Our state lottery provides a free advisor along with any jackpot who tells people to think long and hard whom to tell and to wait a few months before quitting their job or making big purchases!

Still, a lot of people squander it either to treat themselves or ungrateful family members or 'friends'.

Personally, with anything up to two million I would set up my parents and myself comfortably for life and for anything beyond that I would find other worthy causes. Which would most definitely not include hand-outs to more or less random people suddenly remembering my name or how much they like me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »
If I win I'll give $10k to everyone in this thread

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »

meh, with so much money there are few problems you couldn't solve. Hire Mike Tyson to punch anyone in the face that ask you for money, then pay them the settlement. Wouldn't even be a percent of the dividends on that stache.

Or you could just keep $1M and give the rest away. Give it to you neighbor in a public way and then that person will get hounded, problem solved.

I'd just need a jet and a few, simple and remote houses in cool locations (tropics, ski resort etc) and I wouldn't be bothered by others again. I think I would be ok with winning. Of course I'm not playing..

tjalexander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »

In for 10k

Anyone that wins, feel free to send the ticket to me. I am a big boy that could handle it.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks $1.4B is just way too much hassle :-)  I wouldn't mind a million, though...

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2016, 01:29:28 PM »

Steps to take:
Delete any social media
Cash checks.

This is pretty correct.  Mine was pretty similiar.  First, find a big law firm and hire said law firm partner.  Claim money, leave country for 1 or 2 years, have very little contact with anyone.  Hire a security (team) to monitor me.  I presume it would cost somewhere between $150-$250k a year.

If necessary, change name and come back to States. 

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2016, 01:42:02 PM »

I'm also here to claim my 10K. :)

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »
I don't know whether I would or not. I'd be wealthy, but would I be successful? I want to earn wealth and success by overcoming obstacles, so that it's meaningful and builds character. Were I to win, I feel like people would credit my wealth to luck. That would be unsatisfying on a deep, personal level. I'm driven to succeed because I got a late start in life and people had given up on me. I have a chip on my shoulder, something to prove. My personal "story" is one of turning it all around and making good. If wealth just landed in my lap, I honestly think I'd be unhappy.

That being said, I did buy a few tickets :)