Author Topic: Am I crazy for stepping away from a easy remote job?  (Read 7897 times)

Ponderosa

Am I crazy for stepping away from a easy remote job?
« on: July 24, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »
I know I have to make this decision alone, but I want to chat it out with fellow mustachians.

I work from home now. It's easy. Maybe 2-3 hours a day. It is incredibly boring but I get to live my life the way I want for the most part. Downside: it's a little lonely, and the career path is not where I want to be. This remote gig could go on forever, but if for whatever reason its gone I wouldn't continue in my current field. I currently make close to six figures in this easy job, which is awesome. The main concern here is my career is kind of rotting away and I'm still pretty young and far from FI.

To fill my time, I've studied software engineering. I'm good enough now to get a job. In fact, I'm closing in on an offer to work for a great company with probably only a small paycut. The growth potential is much higher though as I'm plateauing now. I'm getting cold feet though. Some part of me wants to stay where it's safe. Especially when I'm making a major lifestyle change. Am I crazy for giving up easy money now?

Pro_Amateur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Leave no stache behind
Re: Am I crazy for stepping away from a easy remote job?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 02:03:24 PM »
The obvious question is: is it possible to combine them?

That is, keeping your current "job" and taking a (for the moment) less earning but more rewarding job in software engineering?
In due time you could drop the one you don't like and focus on the other?

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 02:04:34 PM »
Yes, you are crazy

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 02:04:44 PM »
Welcome to the most difficult of adult decisions, is the grass greener on the other side?

On the surface, being early in your career, I agree that you are not building up a very portable skill set.  The biggest danger I can see is getting used to working 2 hours a day and then when you get a job that requires more time and you will have to adjust.  Easy money is nice, but a marketable skill set is better as if I have learned anything no job is forever. 

If you have a solid stache and can afford a 3-6 month job hunt, then you can certainly ride the wave without much concern.  If you can get a job as a developer you can find something pretty fast as the unemployment rate in development is pretty low. 

I think not wanting to be a freeloader is commendable (though I am guessing others will say you are crazy).  Contributing is important for most people and sitting around doing nothing begins to weigh on you.  Also not having human interaction is something that some people need.  I hated working at home.  You begin to feel very disconnected. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:06:53 PM by caracarn »

Ponderosa

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 02:12:00 PM »
Welcome to the most difficult of adult decisions, is the grass greener on the other side?

On the surface, being early in your career, I agree that you are not building up a very portable skill set.  The biggest danger I can see is getting used to working 2 hours a day and then when you get a job that requires more time and you will have to adjust.  Easy money is nice, but a marketable skill set is better as if I have learned anything no job is forever. 

If you have a solid stache and can afford a 3-6 month job hunt, then you can certainly ride the wave without much concern.  If you can get a job as a developer you can find something pretty fast as the unemployment rate in development is pretty low. 

I think not wanting to be a freeloader is commendable (though I am guessing others will say you are crazy).  Contributing is important for most people and sitting around doing nothing begins to weigh on you.  Also not having human interaction is something that some people need.  I hated working at home.  You begin to feel very disconnected. 

I'm building a very niche skillset in my current field. Actually it's declining since I'm not as involved as I was before. On the other hand, I'm competent in software development and IT work. It comes naturally and I can get lost all day in it.

I'm not worried about the job hunt. I already have one offer and probably have two coming. I said I wasn't FI but I'm in a fairly strong position now.

I do missing out on human interaction and feeling like I'm contributing. I'm fairly driven and curious so not fulfilling that need at this point in my life is very hard on me.

Ponderosa

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 02:15:06 PM »
The obvious question is: is it possible to combine them?

That is, keeping your current "job" and taking a (for the moment) less earning but more rewarding job in software engineering?
In due time you could drop the one you don't like and focus on the other?

This would be tricky to manage. I'd miss out on a lot of current work meetings and I don't think my current company would go for it. It would be a dream for income + savings though. Any tips for convincing the current employer to do it?

Assetup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »
Are your hours flexible currently?  The gig sounds amazing and I'd personally stay put but may look into stacking another part time remote software development job with flexible hours.  Save a ton and walk away

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 02:55:07 PM »
I recently learned of the idea of Rust Out (https://www.healthcentral.com/article/rustout-causes-symptoms-and-cures), which is kind of like Burn Out's Slacker cousin. You may be suffering from this to some extent.

Growth and contribution are important. If you're not getting that in your current job, and you have a way to go before FIRE, I personally think it makes sense to move into a more challenging position. As an alternative you could take on a challenging volunteer role, if that is more appealing.

Full disclosure: I'm in a similar situation, but within a few years of FIRE. People who say you're crazy for leaving this type of job might not have had something similar. It sounds like a dream job when you've been grinding away in a cube for 10 hours a day, but everything loses its luster after a time.

Ponderosa

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 03:00:16 PM »
I recently learned of the idea of Rust Out (https://www.healthcentral.com/article/rustout-causes-symptoms-and-cures), which is kind of like Burn Out's Slacker cousin. You may be suffering from this to some extent.

Growth and contribution are important. If you're not getting that in your current job, and you have a way to go before FIRE, I personally think it makes sense to move into a more challenging position. As an alternative you could take on a challenging volunteer role, if that is more appealing.

Full disclosure: I'm in a similar situation, but within a few years of FIRE. People who say you're crazy for leaving this type of job might not have had something similar. It sounds like a dream job when you've been grinding away in a cube for 10 hours a day, but everything loses its luster after a time.

Rust out sounds right. This has definitely been eye-opening for my plan for FI/RE. I'm probably going to go part time far beyond actually full time retirement, or alternating between periods of contract work and engaging in some sort of time-intensive hobby in between.

In a lot of ways the role is awesome from a flexibility stand point. But when you start to not care about anything about your job it starts to bleed over to other things. All sudden your day slips and you didn't do much.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »
Similar situation here, though on average, I probably work 3-4 hours a day but tethered electronically so my days aren't as flexible. I spend a lot of time at home, monitoring the laptop.  Over 100K salary, but completely dead-end position and just a number at megacorp.  I'm middle-aged though and am scared of walking away from this gig and finding out the grass isn't greener on the other side.  But at the risk of being melodramatic, I'm dying on the inside.

Edit: the job is easy (and dull as dishwater), but the struggle with reconciling my values with some of what I do for my job is real. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 04:01:26 PM by dodojojo »

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 04:03:05 PM »
But when you start to not care about anything about your job it starts to bleed over to other things. All sudden your day slips and you didn't do much.

Yep, all of sudden it's a decade later...

Mrs Brightside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What one fool can do, another can.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »
Yes you’re crazy. Unless you find another job working 2 hours a day for 6 figures, you’re going to have some serious culture shock working 40+ hours and your hourly wage will go down. Is there any way to change your mindset or the scope of your work to feel like a more valued contributor? Or start on a personal software project that could eventually lead to some income?

Ponderosa

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 06:05:40 PM »
Yes you’re crazy. Unless you find another job working 2 hours a day for 6 figures, you’re going to have some serious culture shock working 40+ hours and your hourly wage will go down. Is there any way to change your mindset or the scope of your work to feel like a more valued contributor? Or start on a personal software project that could eventually lead to some income?

See that's the thing. For a long while, I really resented my company and job and have developed a much better mindset towards it. During the resentment phase, I hammered at my hobby to the degree I'm now qualified for software engineering jobs, and have a couple offers on the table.

So the timeline was hate my job -> went remote -> struggled with remote/ramped up development studies -> came to peace with job.

Really the only fear here is my rusting out so that in the future my options are more limited. As someone said, no job is forever. With that said my reputation with my company is rock solid and the company is doing awesome in an industry that is essentially recession proof.

Going into a full time development role sounds enticing. I really like the idea of moving into that field. My hesitation is the massive change in schedule and the fact that there's a good chance I'd get bored. That is why I like working at home. I can push myself into my hobbies and software projects into a direction I prefer rather than doing something the employer wants.

EDIT: During the resentment phase of the job I matured a ton. I got treatment for a serious illness that almost took my life, so it brought a ton of perspective. It brought me back down to earth. Now I'm questioning all those plans I made while in that phase.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 06:12:30 PM by Ponderosa »

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 05:45:31 AM »
If you feel the job is not at risk from your employer or the economy taking it out, then it does seem like sticking with it makes sense.  You can do development thousands of different ways and that will be more flexible as you can do that in a gig economy sense working when you can.  If that happens to be during the 5 hours of down time each day with your current employer, all the better. 

One of the advantages you have being remote is that as long as they are happy with the work product, you control your day.  If you are able to get things done in 2-3 hours, then use those 5-6 hours doing development as a contractor. 

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 06:25:31 AM »
As someone who was fortunate enough to work from home for many years I would say yes it can be boring and lonely and it caused me to probably spend more going out then I should but I'd never trade it.  No commute, No expensive lunches out (hence being able to spend more, maybe too much) and more time for me or whoever.

Personally I'd keep the current job and find a consulting gig to make some additional money. With the consulting gig you could work around your few hours you need in the primary job and chances are you can find an at home/remote consulting gig so no one would know what your doing and when giving you the opportunity to do both

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 06:48:25 AM »
OP you are definitely not crazy. I went through this exact same thing.  I worked a very easy full time job from home making over $100k, but after five years I just couldn't take it any more.  Even though I used my downtime well (learning and on line) I felt dead and hollowed out inside.  It was dead end and meaningless.  I quit that job and took an in-office part time job making less than half the money.  It was one of the best things I've done in my life.  I refreshed my skills and my outlook at that part time job, and then after two years there I got an offer for a plum full time job.

People who say you should stick it out in the boring remote job have probably not experienced how soul-sucking it can be.  If you can't work both jobs from home simultaneously, I would encourage you to follow your instincts here and step away to the new opportunity.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 06:57:28 AM »
I'm curious as to whether your employer knows your hours? Are they thinking of this as FT and are you required to be available via email/text/phone for 40?

With any job I've had, after a few years of experience you can do what took you FT in a lot less time, but then you also get more work. Have you let your employer know you have space? And potentially request more challenging work to do it? Ask for supervisory or other leadership opportunities?

At nearly 6 figures, I'm assuming this is a professional position, and there is an expectation that one self directs and takes on more. If you haven't increased your work output dramatically from when starting, you would certainly be a target for any layoffs/restructures.

If it truly is just 3 hours a day max and you are not required to be available on a FT basis, you could do both easily, bank one of the salaries, and be FI in no time.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 07:07:03 AM »

yeah - but 3 hours vs 10 plus a commute?

3 hours and at home? Even if need online presence for 40 hours, can do all the chores, work out, cooking, bill paying, etc. then totally free when the clock tics 4 or 5.

not to mention the sleeping. Roll out of bed 15 minutes before work starts, make coffee and hop online. You can even take your showers quickly 'on the clock'.

3 hour guy hits 5 and is bored to tears, jumps out the door for a walk, a run, down to the pub, meeting up with friends, taking an evening class, whatever.

10 hour guy leaves work at 6, hits a rush hour commute, and gets home at 7 bone weary, eats a garbage meal, watches TV and has to set the alarm for 5 or 6 to do it again.

Of course - if the work is challenging of interest, that does make a difference, but the reality is that even in a great job that you love - there is likely 2-3 hours a day of 'boring' stuff.

3 hour guy could write a novel, become a body builder, take up painting, online course work for any kind of degree, whatever. 10 hour guy likely can hardly get his laundry done during the M-F.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 07:13:24 AM »
But when you start to not care about anything about your job it starts to bleed over to other things. All sudden your day slips and you didn't do much.

Sorry everyone, I'm rolling in the aisles here.

As if that all doesn't happen at a 9-5, or 8-6, or 8-7 in-person job. Really? You think have the *right* job is going to change this?

Even if you love your job, and find a lot of satisfaction and meaning in it, as time goes on it becomes more and more routine - what was a huge challenge becomes easier and easier every year -  and you are the one who is going to have to identify new perspectives or opportunities to grow in your career. Ways to make it interesting, meaningful, challenging.

Take some responsibility here people, for what is in your own head space.

TheOreoMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 07:45:37 AM »
Just a crazy idea here... you have mentioned that you became pretty good at software development, that is a very sought after profession and as far as I know, there is a ton of freelancing opportunities out there no?

To me it sounds like you have a pretty damn comfortable situation currently (6 figures for 8 hours a week? yes please!)

Have you considered keeping your day job and taking on your own freelancing software development/ IT projects? if this goes well for you and you do quality work for good pricing (no overhead expenses) you could eventually turn this into a full-blown business!

Rdy2Fire

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 07:46:11 AM »

People who say you should stick it out in the boring remote job have probably not experienced how soul-sucking it can be.  If you can't work both jobs from home simultaneously, I would encourage you to follow your instincts here and step away to the new opportunity.

It can be soul-sucking but this has a lot to do with who you are not what your job is which kind of leads to mistymoney's response

Even if you love your job, and find a lot of satisfaction and meaning in it, as time goes on it becomes more and more routine - what was a huge challenge becomes easier and easier every year -  and you are the one who is going to have to identify new perspectives or opportunities to grow in your career. Ways to make it interesting, meaningful, challenging.

I know two people that 'LOVE' their job. One who went back to school to learn a whole new skill-set in their 40's so it's brand new. The other has been working same place for over 20 years makes a ton of money and until recently would always say they LOVE their job. In the last few months this person realized it's just how they make money and they don't really like it that much.

So if the new job is something you think you LOVE or will love then I guess why not but if it's just to be more busy I go back to my response of keep the work from home gig and get a consulting gig.

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 07:56:50 AM »

As if that all doesn't happen at a 9-5, or 8-6, or 8-7 in-person job. Really? You think have the *right* job is going to change this?

Did you read the thread title? It doesn't tip you off that this is very much a first world problem? The OP and I know we have jobs that most people would kill to have, but it doesn't mean everything is rosy.  So yeah, it's a first world problem but if everyone on the board refrained from posting unless they had an issue that was earth-shattering, this forum would be swatting flies. 

I appreciate what you posted--it is of course, correct.  Just could do without the know-it-all tone.  And even if you think it's obvious, you can see there is advice in the thread that suggests s/he's not crazy for jacking it in.  And it comes from posters who have actually experienced the same thing.

I worked plenty of years in the office so I'm well aware of the office drudgery.  But that doesn't mean there aren't negatives associated with working alone year after year at home.  I don't know about the OP, but my position doesn't have any room for growth and the situation doesn't allow me to go outside of my team without burning down my foundation within the company.

Yes, so, it's on me find something on the side to make my days a little more fulfilling. Or find a new job.  Ok, I know those options are pretty obvious--it's not like I needed this thread to see that but I appreciate having a place where the OP laid out with some of the nuances of the situation. And we can discuss it?  Ruminate?  Whine a bit?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:02:10 AM by dodojojo »

Ponderosa

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 09:15:28 AM »
I'm curious as to whether your employer knows your hours? Are they thinking of this as FT and are you required to be available via email/text/phone for 40?

With any job I've had, after a few years of experience you can do what took you FT in a lot less time, but then you also get more work. Have you let your employer know you have space? And potentially request more challenging work to do it? Ask for supervisory or other leadership opportunities?

At nearly 6 figures, I'm assuming this is a professional position, and there is an expectation that one self directs and takes on more. If you haven't increased your work output dramatically from when starting, you would certainly be a target for any layoffs/restructures.

If it truly is just 3 hours a day max and you are not required to be available on a FT basis, you could do both easily, bank one of the salaries, and be FI in no time.

I have a set hours they require me to be available for. It's not strictly monitored but I keep them since I hold my word in agreements. My work output is still quite high as I always have gotten 6-10% raises. I make over 10k more in my profession than average in the country for my level experience. I essentially get senior level pay already. At this point, they have recommended I consider roles in the company that are the highest paid they offer (with the exception of high level management). This could happen within a year and is much more interesting work - although has nothing to do with software.

Just a crazy idea here... you have mentioned that you became pretty good at software development, that is a very sought after profession and as far as I know, there is a ton of freelancing opportunities out there no?

To me it sounds like you have a pretty damn comfortable situation currently (6 figures for 8 hours a week? yes please!)

Have you considered keeping your day job and taking on your own freelancing software development/ IT projects? if this goes well for you and you do quality work for good pricing (no overhead expenses) you could eventually turn this into a full-blown business!

I'm actually thinking of starting my own web dev business. I like web development a bit more than debugging + maintaining existing systems so this could be a great option. Plus I like to flex my hours and work whenever I want (well outside my core hours).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:43:10 AM by Ponderosa »

pudding

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 09:45:57 AM »
I know people that spend that long commuting to work ;)

Can you do something else in the afternoons?  Something that will be more of what you want?

I once had a gig where I had to inspect 4 rotating billboards and 2 empty shops for a management company based thousands of miles away.

It was great, I got paid $860 each time and it only took me half a day, and I never met anybody and could have done it in my pyjamas had I wanted to.. I miss that gig.

doneby35

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 05:44:30 PM »
What is this 2 hours a day 6 figure job you talk about? this is madness!

KentBent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 04:00:56 AM »
You are not crazy. Such thoughts frequently come to the minds of those who work remotely. Lack of communication burns them out.

Since your gig is that easy and brings a 6 figures income I'd rather think of getting another part-time job just to be able to combine two jobs.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »
Similar situation here, though on average, I probably work 3-4 hours a day but tethered electronically so my days aren't as flexible. I spend a lot of time at home, monitoring the laptop.  Over 100K salary, but completely dead-end position and just a number at megacorp.  I'm middle-aged though and am scared of walking away from this gig and finding out the grass isn't greener on the other side.  But at the risk of being melodramatic, I'm dying on the inside.

Edit: the job is easy (and dull as dishwater), but the struggle with reconciling my values with some of what I do for my job is real.

Similar here.  I have even less work to do at the moment than you, but I have to BE at my client site, even though 9/10 days, I'm alone in a cubicle that is no where near any other person.  So that's why I'm on sites like MMM so much.  I'm a few years away from FIRE and I'm either going to run out the clock here (stupid high income) or go somewhere else and delay FIRE a little. 

You've clearly used your downtime well -- learning a skill and becoming good at it.  Any chance you can use it to develop something that you're interested in and can sell/market rather than going to work for someone else?   Have you checked out those sites like taskrabbit and rent-a-coder?  You might be able to double-dip on pay and find something more fulfilling. 

It is really important for people to feel valued, especially after they've worked so hard to become good with a skill.  At my age, I'd keep the job and do extra on down-time.  If I were younger, I'd probably leave and go to another company just for more social interaction. 

shingy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2019, 08:53:57 AM »
What is this 2 hours a day 6 figure job you talk about? this is madness!

I'm really curious about this as well!

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »
OP, can I have your job please?

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2019, 09:59:49 AM »
You sound like a driven person that needs job satisfaction. I get it.

You said you're dying inside. Do you want to kill yourself for money? Or do you want to challenge yourself with a new situation and embrace change? Maybe it'll be worse, maybe it'll be better. But you never know until you try. I'd pull the plug today if you have no dependents.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2019, 11:35:57 AM »
I've been in a similar situation, and I will start out by saying this is not an easy decision to make when it's your life and career that we're talking about.  There is one very important thing I want you to keep in mind - you know you're not happy in your current role.  You may or may not be happy with a different job, but you won't know until you try it.  If you stay in your current job, you're choosing to do something that makes you unhappy.

You're also fortunate to have a marketable skill that will allow you to get another position.  Some people can justify staying in a job that makes them unhappy because they don't have (or don't believe they have) other options.  You don't have that excuse.  If you stay in this job for 5 or 10 more years, how will you feel about the way you've spent your time?  This is your one and only chance at living.  I spent too many years doing something that made me miserable because I justified it based on the salary and the progress I was making towards my FIRE goal.  I don't want you to make the same mistake.  Even if you take a new job and it doesn't work out, you'll have learned from the experience and you'll still have the marketable skill that will allow you to get another job.

Just my two cents.

Ponderosa

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2019, 12:00:02 PM »
Everyone here is great. I appreciate all the replies.

Some people are saying they want my job. You probably want my hours and pay, which is understandable. The reason why I have those hours is that I'm masterful in my current work. I've figured it out. Got it down cold. And now, I don't need to spend all my time debating in circles about the same trivial crap everyday so the hours are much shorter than when I was in person. I've also climbed to this point by taking on projects and challenges not even senior engineers would take. So in the beginning, I really worked my ass off more than I can emphasize. I also am very appreciate to be where I'm at.

At the end of the day, I'm still young and full of energy and drive to really take off from here. Staying around at home working on the same boring stuff every day while having an immense level of energy and desire for social connection makes me feel like my life is getting wasted - even if the bank account is steadily climbing. And btw, I still want to remote in a few days a week. I just need to break it up. And for context, I'd probably study programming even if I wasn't getting paid for it.

As an update, it looks like I have a few choices for new jobs (not including just staying put), if I want them. I've excluded opportunities I don't want. Here they are:

Company A) LOVE the people, culture, and opportunities. Work is most interesting and varied. If you are in a break from a project, they allow you to study and build whatever what for personal growth. One day remote a week, but the commute is 14 miles on the city highway (or 1hr of biking one way, not sure on route yet). Downside: Starting pay is rumored to be REALLY low. Like 30-35k paycut probably (Don't know this for sure yet). If pay wasn't a factor, I'd go here easily.

Company B) Great company, rock solid financials. People stick here a long time. Public transport is easiest, which is great (or bike 8 mi on mostly separated path). I'm negotiating an even HIGHER salary than what I have now, which is sweet. Also pushing for remote 2-3 days a week. Downside: the work doesn't seem nearly as exciting. I'm not really going to be doing custom development like A. Probably could eventually get into it. Maybe I could get awesome at the job and push for more exciting work eventually, or jump ship after I build my resume more if that is what I need.

Company C) Part time remote gigs. This one is meh for me. I could see myself eventually doing it. Right now I want to build my skills around people. I will do this eventually.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2019, 12:00:47 PM »
I suspect if you change jobs, you will quickly begin 'earning' that six figure paycheck.  Most jobs that pay that type of money are hard.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
I suspect if you change jobs, you will quickly begin 'earning' that six figure paycheck.  Most jobs that pay that type of money are hard.

I bet the OP won't mind 'earning' the paycheck if the new job is interesting and fulfilling.  That was my experience when I stepped away from the cushy-but completely-boring remote job. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »
.. Unless you find another job working 2 hours a day for 6 figures, you’re going to have some serious culture shock working 40+ hours ....

This made me scratch my head.  People don't really "fall into" these positions.  They work like dogs to become specialized, knowledgeable, and trusted.  I highly doubt the OP will get "culture shock" from working a full day.  In fact, it's a blessing to be busy if your this type of worker. 

I'm in a similar position now and it's destroying me to be so underutilized.  I worked hard for many years to become one of the best in my very small industry.  To be in a role where that isn't valued is soul-crushing.  I'm a consultant at a place where they just don't have enough work for me to do, but they don't want to risk losing me if they don't pay me full time.  And I'm now addicted to the high rate of pay.  I'd much rather be busy than sit here pretending to work every day.

Ponderosa

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 01:31:01 PM »
.. Unless you find another job working 2 hours a day for 6 figures, you’re going to have some serious culture shock working 40+ hours ....

This made me scratch my head.  People don't really "fall into" these positions.  They work like dogs to become specialized, knowledgeable, and trusted.  I highly doubt the OP will get "culture shock" from working a full day.  In fact, it's a blessing to be busy if your this type of worker. 

I'm in a similar position now and it's destroying me to be so underutilized.  I worked hard for many years to become one of the best in my very small industry.  To be in a role where that isn't valued is soul-crushing.  I'm a consultant at a place where they just don't have enough work for me to do, but they don't want to risk losing me if they don't pay me full time.  And I'm now addicted to the high rate of pay.  I'd much rather be busy than sit here pretending to work every day.

Definitely similar position to you. Did not fall into this role at all.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2019, 11:51:51 PM »

Ah, this adds some clarity, thank you @BlueHouse

Ponderosa, if it's fulfillment and challenge that you're looking for, what about volunteer opportunities or getting involved in a cause that is near & dear?  I'd see that as best of both worlds: high salary & ability/time to use personal skills to better society.
FYI, Code for America sounds neat.  https://www.codeforamerica.org/work

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2019, 06:44:17 AM »

Did you read the thread title? It doesn't tip you off that this is very much a first world problem? The OP and I know we have jobs that most people would kill to have, but it doesn't mean everything is rosy.  So yeah, it's a first world problem but if everyone on the board refrained from posting unless they had an issue that was earth-shattering, this forum would be swatting flies. 

I appreciate what you posted--it is of course, correct.  Just could do without the know-it-all tone.  And even if you think it's obvious, you can see there is advice in the thread that suggests s/he's not crazy for jacking it in.  And it comes from posters who have actually experienced the same thing.

I worked plenty of years in the office so I'm well aware of the office drudgery.  But that doesn't mean there aren't negatives associated with working alone year after year at home.  I don't know about the OP, but my position doesn't have any room for growth and the situation doesn't allow me to go outside of my team without burning down my foundation within the company.

Yes, so, it's on me find something on the side to make my days a little more fulfilling. Or find a new job.  Ok, I know those options are pretty obvious--it's not like I needed this thread to see that but I appreciate having a place where the OP laid out with some of the nuances of the situation. And we can discuss it?  Ruminate?  Whine a bit?

of course! sorry if this post was mistaken on that end.

This wasn't aimed at the opening post or the idea of mind-numbingly easy vs challenging work - I think that is a valid struggle that many intelligent people who work for a living grapple with.

My point was only aimed at the "suddenly 10 years later....." aspect and the suggestion that that isn't going to happen at a more challenging 9-5++ hours, in office, commuting type job. That happens to everyone. SAH parents likely too!

Every choice has an opposite road you didn't choose, and life will march on and then 10 years later - hey, time is gone and was that choice the best?

That is just life, I guess was my main point.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »
I would take B. The fact that they already told you there is downtime is concerning. When I had a job like that there were busybodies who would bother you if you didn't use downtime the right way. Also if someone had "too much" downtime co-workers assumed you were underutilized because you were a poor performer.

Ponderosa

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2019, 10:28:12 AM »
OK so offer wasn't quite high as expected but tbh I was being a bit unrealistic.

I'm looking at something like a 8k paycut or so with a nice sign on bonus. This is about 10k above entry level software engineers in my area. I gave them my current salary expecting them to match but they came back with this. Worth it to counter offer? I know I'm starting in a new field but they are counting a few years of my experience as technology experience, so some online calcs say I could ask for 5k more or so. I just don't want to piss them off too much, especially since this is my first 'software engineer' job.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2019, 12:43:13 PM »
It's almost always worth it to (politely) counter, or straight up ask for more.

"Great! I'm really excited about this job (insert reasons or whatever) - do you have any wiggle room on the compensation? That number would be taking a pretty big cut to change tracks"

CarolinaGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2019, 10:07:10 AM »
How horrible you must be for complaining about a high paying low labor job!!
Wish I could get paid to do nothing all day! 
<end sarcasm>

I, myself, have been wanting to write a post very similar to yours but knew that I would be getting ‘those’ types of reactions!  I have been in this job over 4 years now.  I had a medical issue that allowed me to be granted full time remote work with the company.  The job that I have, I would have NEVER taken had I not had the physical restriction of being unable to commute in to an office and was basically desperate for employment.  The work we do is seen as VERY important for our company, but since we react to what the government demands our work load can vary.  I worked my ass off the first year and a half and then everything in our work pipeline fizzled out.  Since then our team has been lucky to have a few hours of work a week, if that.  I am expected to remain online and ready for any work from 8-5 each day.  There are days that my home feels like a very large prison cell to me.  Management has been VERY aware of the situation the past 3 years and are totally fine with keep us around.  I have struggled the past few  years with ‘what to do’.  I am 2 years from FIRE now so do I really want to job hop near the age of 50??  With my body still recovering but in a better state...do I really want to take the leap and accept a job that I have to commute to?  I DESPERATELY miss producing and feeling pride in my work.  I am a TYPE A person and this job is killing my soul.  Glad to know that a few of you understand!     

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2019, 07:41:42 AM »
I DESPERATELY miss producing and feeling pride in my work.  I am a TYPE A person and this job is killing my soul.  Glad to know that a few of you understand!   

I totally get it, and was there myself.  Best of luck to you!  That is a tough spot. 

Ponderosa

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2019, 05:47:05 AM »
I've been told I have until Friday to accept a job. Late last night they emailed me and said I have until end of day today to make a decision now. Weird?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2019, 06:33:57 AM »
I completely relate, but have no intention of leaving my 2 days a week, 6 figure job until I can completely afford to do so.

Granted, my day job is incredibly rewarding, but I get bored extremely easily, so I'm CONSTANTLY working on new projects.

I do a lot of unpaid non-profit work, and it keeps me very very busy and lets me use my skills pretty much however I want to, and gives me opportunities to try all sorts of new things and push my limits.

That said, I also don't feel the need to reach full FI or to "retire" within the next 20+ years, so as soon as I have enough of a 'stache to coast, I'm not going to give a flying fuck about what I make.

You are vague about your numbers, but have you saved enough to say, quit your brain-numbing job, make enough to cover your bills and let the 'stache grow on its own??

If so, then do whatever you want and don't worry too much about compensation. Focus on doing the work you enjoy and you will probably end up making too much and bored again anyway.

Ponderosa

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2019, 06:48:54 AM »
I completely relate, but have no intention of leaving my 2 days a week, 6 figure job until I can completely afford to do so.

Granted, my day job is incredibly rewarding, but I get bored extremely easily, so I'm CONSTANTLY working on new projects.

I do a lot of unpaid non-profit work, and it keeps me very very busy and lets me use my skills pretty much however I want to, and gives me opportunities to try all sorts of new things and push my limits.

That said, I also don't feel the need to reach full FI or to "retire" within the next 20+ years, so as soon as I have enough of a 'stache to coast, I'm not going to give a flying fuck about what I make.

You are vague about your numbers, but have you saved enough to say, quit your brain-numbing job, make enough to cover your bills and let the 'stache grow on its own??

If so, then do whatever you want and don't worry too much about compensation. Focus on doing the work you enjoy and you will probably end up making too much and bored again anyway.

We have about 4-5x yearly living expenses saved, and we have technically almost 40 years until traditional retirement age. Our goal isn't to retire early, rather to have enough where we can let our savings grow and be able to work just part-time. Both of us our high energy individuals with the desire to work so part time work will likely always be in our future.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 06:51:52 AM by Ponderosa »

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2019, 07:30:57 AM »
If they try to push you around by changing deadlines while you still have leverage because you haven't accepted the offer, imagine what it will be like if you work for them.

Ponderosa

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2019, 07:39:58 AM »
Yeah we agreed on the deadline yesterday afternoon than they promptly changed it that evening. Oh well.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2019, 07:45:33 AM »

We have about 4-5x yearly living expenses saved, and we have technically almost 40 years until traditional retirement age. Our goal isn't to retire early, rather to have enough where we can let our savings grow and be able to work just part-time. Both of us our high energy individuals with the desire to work so part time work will likely always be in our future.

Then you have all the flexibility in the world.

The tricky part is knowing what to do with it. I would encourage you to explore a lot of options and think very creatively about what you want your best life to look like.

If the goal is part time work in the future, then could you not start part time work now on top of your low-demand day job?
Could you somehow do what I do and use your new skills in a non profit type of role?

Full time jobs have a lot of draw backs and can really mess with your options, I would really hesitate to jump to that option first before exploring other avenues. You really do have so many available to you.

That said, if it truly does turn out to be your best option, then go ahead and try it. You're highly industrious, what's the worst thing that will happen? You'll hate it and decide to do something else...okay cool.

There are people who can handle doing that and people who can't. I'm assuming you can, but you will need to reflect yourself if you are.

It's easy for me to say that I would stick with the day job in your shoes because that works for *me* in *my* day job, bit only you know what really works for you. I just encourage you to open your eyes to the vast range of possibilities beyond just "get new high paying, full time job" because that may not actually be the best channel for your energies.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2019, 07:46:38 AM »
If they try to push you around by changing deadlines while you still have leverage because you haven't accepted the offer, imagine what it will be like if you work for them.

Yep, welcome to a little taste of the bullshit.
It's easy to forget how much of it there is in traditional full time jobs.