Author Topic: Alright, talk to me about cell phones  (Read 2521 times)

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
Alright, talk to me about cell phones
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »
Ok, we are with US Cellular right now, paying $160 a month for two phones and 3 GB of data.  Dumb.
We don't need two smart phones, but we'd like to have one with data as I use mine for work, but work doesn't pay for it.
We are in rural Iowa, Project FI isn't an option per our zip code.  If anyone uses this, can I enter a zip code of like a relative, auto pay, and use it in my location?
Looked at Straight Talk, but nothing there looks overly cheap, and do you have to buy a new card every month, or do they have month by month plans?
I've heard of cricket wireless before, but I don't know much about them.

We have decent service with US Cell, Verizon, and iWireless...so we'd need our service to use one of those three network towers.

MichaelB

• Stubble
  • FIRE goal: April 2032
Re: Alright, talk to me about cell phones
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »
Look at Republic and Ting.

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
Cricket Wireless is owned by, and on the same network as, AT&T. If AT&T does or doesn't have decent coverage where you are, the same will be true of Cricket. I personally like Cricket, but I live in the suburbs of a big market, so my coverage is great. Cricket generally isn't as frugal as Republic Wireless or Ting.

As for MVNOs that use Verizon's network, I believe the following do, but you'd have to research and see what is available in your area, and how their prices work for your use habits.
Straight Talk, Tracfone, Page Plus, Net 10, and Affinity. (YMMV on these carriers.)

Tiger Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »
Cricket uses at&t so if you need to use Verizon, that'll be a no go. If you google Verizon Prepaid, you'll see their no contract cheap plans, so it's at least save you $80 a month.

alewpanda

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 01:33:21 PM »
Page Plus is great.  And I believe they run off of Verizon's towers. 

ditkanate

• Stubble
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 01:41:49 PM »
I've used Republic for a little over 2 years now and it's been great.  My bill last month was $13.29.  I think for new signups, though, their cheapest plan is $20.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 05:45:10 PM »
It is weird that Fi is not available in your area when you have US Cellular. Fi added support for US Cellular last year. I am surprised.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!