Author Topic: Advice for car situation (repair or sell/trade)?  (Read 1280 times)

letstalkaboutdune

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Advice for car situation (repair or sell/trade)?
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:13:41 AM »
I've got a 2009 Honda CR-V EX with 84k miles on it. During a routine oil change and checkup, my trusted local repair shop noticed an oil leak. After some diagnosis they tracked it to a particular area in the engine, which wouldn't be difficult to repair but very expensive in terms of labor since the repairs require removing the engine. Labor alone would run me about $2k.

At this point I have to stop and consider my options. The vehicle is in "good" condition. I'm the only owner with a clean title, it's been well-maintained, got brand new tires, but there's some minor cosmetic damage due to being baked in the AZ sun for ~10 years. KBB and other value estimators online give me a range of $5-7k trade-in or $8-10k private sale, with the oil leak being considered.

I bike to work and only drive about 25 miles a week now, but I do need to have a vehicle available for light in-town driving.

What would you guys do in my shoes? Sink the repair cost into the CR-V and stick with it? Sell or trade instead, and get into an inexpensive used car? Finance a brand-new car and only make minimum payments? ;)

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
Re: Advice for car situation (repair or sell/trade)?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 10:20:58 AM »
What's leaking? Specifically?

If it's not going to damage something else (like leaking onto a clutch on a manual transmission), you could just keep an eye on oil level and refill it as needed.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »
What's leaking? Specifically?

If it's not going to damage something else (like leaking onto a clutch on a manual transmission), you could just keep an eye on oil level and refill it as needed.
I'm with clean shaven.
2k buys A LOT of oil especially since if you are only using it once in awhile.
I'm curious too what's leaking. Your Honda isn't even broken in and it's a one owner. My friend wholesales cars/SUVs from a Honda dealership. He sold a 2009 w/ 140k to a family who just turned 450k on ol trusty CRV.
Also repairs in that price range I'd get a second opinion unless you have more specific info on where the leak is.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:44:43 PM »
Most older cars leak oil. Check it now and then to see that it isn't low, and keep driving it like everyone else does. Any mechanic that pushes taking the engine out to repair a minor oil leak is trying to take advantage of you.