Author Topic: ACT versus transcript versus College application first?  (Read 2255 times)

purple monkey

• Bristles
ACT versus transcript versus College application first?
« on: September 24, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
So, we have a difficult school situation with records.

Also, ACT folks are not much better.

Is is better to get the transcript sent or ACT sent before application?

What order works best and why?

TIA
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:03:41 AM by purple monkey »

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
Re: ACT versus transcript versus College application first?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 08:48:04 AM »
My university won't consider an applicant until all are in.  That seemed to be the case for all the colleges my DD applied to as well. Get them in as soon as possible if you are hoping for any scholarships.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »
When I worked in admissions order didn't matter. We logged everything that came in. When it was all there we considered the application.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
The sooner the better for everything. Every university that DS applied to required the entire application package to be submitted before Dec. 1 to be considered for scholarships. At least 1 does a 'rolling admit' that fills its Engineering school before November; later applications get admitted as general & require a transfer application to the engineering school the following year, grades permitting.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »
When I worked in admissions order didn't matter. We logged everything that came in. When it was all there we considered the application.

This is my understanding of how it works also.

I also think it is good practice to confirm with the schools that they have received everything.  Some schools you can confirm this on their web sites.  I don't know how often it happens, but if there is a snafu with a transcript not getting sent or something, you want to fix it before the application deadline instead of after.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 07:27:59 AM »
The sooner the better for everything. Every university that DS applied to required the entire application package to be submitted before Dec. 1 to be considered for scholarships. At least 1 does a 'rolling admit' that fills its Engineering school before November; later applications get admitted as general & require a transfer application to the engineering school the following year, grades permitting.

This is an excellent point.  It is typically MUCH more difficult to get admitted into a competitive major as a transfer (even an internal transfer) than straight from high school.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
My daughter's high school had them finish the common app in August, before school began, complete with essay and letters of recommendation.  That way they could apply immediately when they decided on schools.  This resulted in my daughter having several scholarship offers by December.  Some schools take early application as a sign of strong interest.  This experience was all with small private colleges and universities though, and may not apply at all to public universities.