Author Topic: A Tale of Two Careers  (Read 2975 times)

kmediately9k

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A Tale of Two Careers
« on: September 04, 2013, 06:09:22 PM »
Hey Everyone,

This is my first posting, and I'm in my twenties. I've been reading this blog for quite sometime, and it's definitely generated a shift in my perspective on life. With that said, I'm in a state of limbo. I'm currently going to school (thank you VA), and I work fulltime. My salary is approximately 40k. I'm working on my bachelors in computer science, but with the "retire NOW" mentality with about four years to go. I've been looking at different avenues. Would it be wise  to pursuit a oil rig technician job that I'm more than qualified for (approx 95k annually), or continue my current route as an aspiring Database Administrator?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:36:27 PM by kmediately9k »

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
Re: A Tale of Two Careers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 07:35:40 PM »
What kind of benefits does each job offer?  At this point in my life, I am working for the benefits more than the paycheck.

How does the job security compare? 

What kind of salary might the computer job offer once you've finished your degree?
What kind of increase might the oil rig job offer as you accumulate seniority? 

What kind of promotion might be possible in each job over the years?

Would the oil rig job mean living away from home for long stretches?  How would that affect your housing costs?  Your family life? 

The oil rig job sounds physically demanding.  Is this something you could reasonably continue into middle age?  Or would the higher salary mean you wouldn't need to do so?  Is it a physically dangerous job? 

How do you feel about the work involved in each job?  The work environment?  The perks associated with the job?

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
Re: A Tale of Two Careers
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:33:25 AM »
Being a DBA is certainly a respectable-paying career.  I think it would depend on whether or not you are currently employed in that field and how far along you are in your bachelor's degree.  If you are already employed in the field and enjoy the work, you can get up to a 6 figure salary, although it may take a little while and depend on your geographic location.  If you have already made significant progress toward your degree, which to me would be halfway or more, I wouldn't abandon that course now unless you have a job offer in hand for the oil industry.