Author Topic: 24 year old seeking career/investing advice  (Read 1538 times)

logangmarshall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
24 year old seeking career/investing advice
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »
Hi everyone! I've been peripherally aware of FI for a year or so now, but only recently made it a focus and priority. I've been reading articles and listening to podcasts like a madman, but feel overwhelmed and unsure how to proceed. So I thought I'd post here and see what ya'll think...

My situation:

- 24 years old. 
- No debt.
- $16,067 current net worth, most of it invested with Wealthfront.
- No degree. Finished 1.5 years of school at two separate colleges, then dropped out to travel because I didn't know what I wanted to do (still don't) and didn't want to go into debt.
- Earn ~$4k/month as a server at a high-end restaurant and a part-time farm worker (the farm job pays almost nothing and is something I do mostly for fun).
- Spend ~$1k/month allowing me to save ~$3k/monthy (75% saving rate).

Basically, here's what I'm trying to figure out:

1. How should I be investing this money given the fact that I don't have access to a 401k or an HSA eligible insurance plan? I maxed my Roth IRA for the year and have simply been putting the rest in a 'personal'/taxable account with Wealthfront. What else can I be doing to optimize?

2. How should I approach my career situation? I feel torn because I'm making decent money (for my standards) and saving a high-percentage of my income but, of course, I'm working low-skill jobs with little future. I can't say there is ANY career that I feel particularly motivated to pursue, and don't want to go into debt and dramatically postpose FI by going back to school, but I'm considering all options. What would you do?

Totally appreciate any thoughts and feedback. Thank you!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
Re: 24 year old seeking career/investing advice
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
Consider aptitude testing. There are things that people have aptitude for, and don't have aptitude for. Find out what the every day tasks are for different jobs and think about how you would prefer to spend your days. If you are great at it, you could have a career in working in restaurants, or farming. There are probably other skills you like to use too. Don't get too hung up on the concept of "career" right now.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 24 year old seeking career/investing advice
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
While not having a degree is certainly no barrier if you have the right skills & are determined enough, it is also (as you are probably aware) a big obstacle to overcome. However you must also look at your situation from a different perspective - you're young, smart, and open to any possibility. Just imagine your life and how you would feel if you were working in a career you hated with no easy to switch...

I'd suggest looking around at MMM''s resources on online learning, as a start. You could also honestly continue what you're doing and take your time finding something you'll love.

As for the investing, you're doing pretty much what I think you would be able to do.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!