Author Topic: 2019 Best Cellphone Plan? Have iPhone 8 Plus  (Read 2747 times)

JasonDetwiler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2019 Best Cellphone Plan? Have iPhone 8 Plus
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:07:34 PM »
I searched the forum and the first dozen results were from 2014.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus on Verizon and I need to transfer off of a company plan to a personal plan.

I just saw an ad on Reddit for MintMobile and it looks nice at $15/month.

Wondering if there is a MMM recommendation that is current and iPhone friendly. I read about GoogleFi, but the article is old and pretty sure no iPhone.

Thanks guys!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: 2019 Best Cellphone Plan? Have iPhone 8 Plus
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 08:21:40 PM »
"Best" depends on what you use.  Red Pocket has plans that would allow you to both use your iPhone and stay on Verizon towers for $10/month and up ($5/month and up if you buy a yearly plan on ebay). 

JasonDetwiler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 08:36:12 PM »
Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought to look on eBay for a phone plan.

Best in my case would be to minimize cost while not noticing a real difference from what I have now, which is unlimited everything. I don’t need to stream in the car and I’m on WiFi most of the time.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 07:38:00 AM »
Unless you have a good idea how much you use, it’s going to be hard to pick.

If you’ll be on your company plan for a bit longer, you can reset your data (settings -> cellular -> reset statistics) and track it for a month.

Unless I’m traveling, 500mb a month is plenty for me (I’m also on WiFi most of the time and don’t stream). When I do travel, I can add more if needed for a couple bucks. I don’t mind paying attention, but some just want to pay more every month so they don’t have to think about it.

The nice thing about MVNOs is you can try a plan and change if it doesn’t suit you. I’d wait on the yearly plan until you know what’s up.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 07:41:14 AM »
Just chiming in to say you can use iPhone on google Fi now. My husband has an iPhone 8 on it. You just only have access to t-mobile towers instead of the whole Fi network.

Home Stretch

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 08:07:50 AM »
I'm a fan of Google Fi because of the international usage. It's so nice to have full data service anywhere in the world without having to pay extra.

Also, you only pay per MB for exactly what you use. If you have a low usage month your bill will only be ~$20, and if you need more data you're simply charged at the rate of $10/GB.

The only thing I haven't been thrilled with is the first generation Pixel, which has started having serious issues after only about 18 months of use.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
I'm on Fi and am overall happy. It uses Sprint, TMobile and US Cellular's towers. Verizon and AT&T both have better average coverage in Vermont, but between the three networks Fi has choice of I'm usually fine.

Fi is not the cheapest service, but it's relatively inexpensive. Service and support is good. Paying only for the data you use is nice. International data at no extra cost is really nice. No contract is nice.

I find I use around 1GB per month if I'm only slightly conservative with my data usage, and I use my phone for work.

ThatGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 06:18:55 PM »
Here's one for you to consider. https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/i-got-my-cellphone-bill-down-to-$0-00-with-freeup-mobile/msg2348741/#msg2348741

I'm in the process of switching so I can't give any info one way or the other.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »
If you’re a data hog, and I am, check out visible. They use Verizon network. All you can eat data, phone, plus textbook plus free tethering plus a $100 e-debit card rebate after 2 months service. $40 month including tax.

Has anyone here tried Visible? 

I'd like to get something less expensive than the Verizon we have now, and would like to try dropping our internet service too.  I doubt an unlimited data cell plan will allow us to stream Netflix, but it sure would be nice.