Author Topic: 1099 mileage deduction  (Read 1564 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
1099 mileage deduction
« on: September 17, 2018, 06:57:50 AM »
DH recently accepted a side hustle position working for a town 20 miles away. He will not be reporting to an office; his job will take him all over the (very small) town to work on utilities. Can he deduct the mileage to and from the job location each time he reports, or only the miles within the town once he arrives?

terran

• Magnum Stache
Re: 1099 mileage deduction
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 07:52:19 AM »
Generally you can't deduct miles between your home and your first/last business location of the day as that is considered commuting, but you can deduct for mileage between locations during the day. I'll leave it to you to figure out how to adjust your work schedule to maximize deductions. Hint: establishing a deductible home office can make a big difference if you make sure you do some work there as the first and last things you do during your work day.

This might help: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2008054-can-i-claim-mileage-occured-during-travel-to-job-site

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
Re: 1099 mileage deduction
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »
Thanks @terran! It was your "hint" that I was trying to put together in my mind after googling a bit. Much appreciated!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!