Author Topic: Zoomy Zoom Car 2000  (Read 6645 times)

Britan

• Bristles
Zoomy Zoom Car 2000
« on: December 18, 2014, 03:06:03 PM »
Not sure where this might go, but I need to share my shame with people who would understand...I'm visiting parents for the month and commuting to a different office for work for the week. About 30 miles to the nearest public transit, to take me the next 30 miles, so biking is right out. I could handle that... except that the only "spare" car I can borrow is what I have dubbed "Zoomy Zoom 2000", one of the higher end BMW models that is only a few years old. Someone actually witnessed me getting out of it this morning and I almost died of shame.

And yet everyone around me right now is jealous that I get to drive Zoomy Zoom 2000 and cannot fathom how ashamed I am of being seen with that car. Am I the only one mortified to be seen getting out of a car that cost almost twice my master's degree?

[Edited] For context: Perhaps this is because this car is the reason I have an equal amount of student load debt. Because "don't drop out of school and go to a cheaper one, we will have money for tuition but oops now we need to take out a loan (in your name to raise your credit) because there is no money after I bought zoomy zoom 2000." See also: "no I can't help with the loan we took out in your name now pardon while I fill up with premium gas and pay a mechanic to fix my heated steering wheel."

So looking at it, for me, is pretty much akin to logging into my bank and looking at my wall of student debt. Which may explain my shame. ;_;
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:57:08 AM by Britan »

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
Re: Zoomy Zoom Car 2000
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 05:12:13 PM »
Just you, who cares what someone thinks of your stuff?

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 06:27:25 PM »
It's a 5 series. Very fun to drive up hills. Very terrifying to drive anywhere, though. I feel like I'm in an antique shop, like my every move could break something irreplaceable!

Also, I didn't realize it was possible to burn through that much gas in two days. O_o Half a tank usually lasts me a week of daily commuting.

Overall I'm not super emotional about it. But people are so confused when I tell them I'd really rather not drive that car and that I'd never want one and then I feel like the crazy one.

Then again people don't understand how I live without a heated steering wheel. Because gloves, guys. Gloves.

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 07:02:34 PM »
I had a similar experience last month. We went to visit my S.O.'s sister in Memphis and dropped her '07 Kia off at the dealer for, some warranty work ( I could write a separate post about how she wound up with this car a longer mustachian tale). Her sister, who makes a lot more $ than we do loaned us the beater of her fleet, a Hummer H2. Everywhere I drove it, people treated us with deference and respect, even though it is an uncomfortable, poorly performing, inefficient piece of shit that will likely be in a scrap yard before the KIA's warranty expires. I was embarrassed too I wanted to tell everyone: It is not mine, I'm just borrowing it. I thanked her sister anyway.

r3dt4rget

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »
Feeling ashamed to drive cars people kindly loaned to you? I would be grateful, and I don't care what strangers think of the vehicle I drive, whether it's a bike or a BMW.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
Honestly, I think you're the weird one. Someone loaned you a car, you drove it. Was it incredibly inconvenient? Huge and impossible to park? Too slow to merge onto the highway safely? No, it worked fine... if it made you feel awkward, then don't borrow their car next time.

Britan

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that I had a way to get myself into the office. But perhaps it would explain if I told you this car is the reason I have an equal amount of student load debt. Because "don't drop out of school and go to a cheaper one, we will have money for tuition but oops now we need to take out a loan (in your name to raise your credit) because there is no money after I bought zoomy zoom 2000. Because I needed 4 seats so my new expensive purebred dog can sit in the back." See also: "no I can't help with the loan we took out in your name now pardon while I fill up with premium gas and pay a mechanic to fix my heated steering wheel."

So looking at it, for me, is pretty much akin to logging into my bank and looking at my wall of student debt. ;_;

And I'm done borrowing the car now that I'm on vacation! I found my old mountain bike and plan on using that for inter house travelling since everyone is about a mile apart! :)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »
In my eyes, you're the strange one.

Of course, I've more or less decided my next vehicle will be a [used, 7-10 year old] BMW 3 series convertible, so I'm probably not the right guy to talk to here.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 08:55:44 AM »
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that I had a way to get myself into the office. But perhaps it would explain if I told you this car is the reason I have an equal amount of student load debt. Because "don't drop out of school and go to a cheaper one, we will have money for tuition but oops now we need to take out a loan (in your name to raise your credit) because there is no money after I bought zoomy zoom 2000. Because I needed 4 seats so my new expensive purebred dog can sit in the back." See also: "no I can't help with the loan we took out in your name now pardon while I fill up with premium gas and pay a mechanic to fix my heated steering wheel."

So looking at it, for me, is pretty much akin to logging into my bank and looking at my wall of student debt. ;_;

And I'm done borrowing the car now that I'm on vacation! I found my old mountain bike and plan on using that for inter house travelling since everyone is about a mile apart! :)
Well that makes all the sense now. Of course it bugs you... that's supremely fucked up. Thank god my parents made clear to me early in high school that I was on my own. The best thing that happened to me in that time of my life was knowing I would have to handle shit on my own.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »
Who cares what everyone else thinks? I have a scion xB with a missing hub cap. I have a new set that I need to put on, just haven't prioritized it. Probably will before the holidays (I only wanted one to replace but a family member bought a new set of bright shiny ones. We'll see how they look).

Either way, look at it from the perspective that you know it's not a long term thing. You will use it, enjoy it, and then get back to your regular programming. Kind of like planned splurging during a vacation.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »
I don't think you're weird. When my small pickup was in the shop back in 2008, my dad let me borrow his spare vehicle - a jacked-up F-250 with chrome sidesteps and a loud muffler. To his credit, he had recently bought it used with the lift kit and accessories (he would have never spend the money on them himself), and used it for his mobile sawmilling business, but I couldn't stand when people would compliment me on the truck, and I was always quick to point out that it wasn't mine. I appreciated the help, but never wanted anyone to think that I was the sort of person who was into that kind of crap.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 09:27:42 AM »
I wouldn't feel embarrassed.  It's only a temporary thing and will soon be forgotten just like all the other material things people buy.  Seriously, in a couple of weeks nobody will even remember what kind of car you were driving. 

On the subject of feeling odd in borrowed cars...  My boss loaned me his Aston Martin DB9 for the week of my wedding.  I live in a very cheap house in a lower middle/upper lower class neighborhood.  I parked the ~$180k car in the driveway of my ~$35k house for a few days.  I'm sure the neighbors thought I was a drug dealer.  Surprisingly the car was still there every morning when I got up.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
Don't blame the poor car. Sounds like you harbor some (justified?) resentment towards your parents!

Melchior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 09:47:57 AM »
Don't blame the poor car. Sounds like you harbor some (justified?) resentment towards your parents!

This was my impression as well.

Be careful blaming external factors for your student loan debt. It's a poisonous path to go down and won't make the loans go away.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »
People get confused when they see me get into my dumpy 15-year-old oil-burning tin-can with a cracked windshield and shitty paint on the hood.  I love it.  I would be ashamed getting into a BMW.  Every time I ride in a newish luxury car (which is far from often), I get this incredible sense of anxiety and this-is-not-OK not dissimilar to what you're feeling.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »
Happened to me once -- my Honda was in the shop so I borrowed my dad's Porsche.  Normally, I don't care what people think, but I had to drive it to a work function.  I was a lowly intern at the time, and my boss was like.... nice car.  Definitely don't want to give potential employers the idea you're a spoiled brat!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »
This happened to me once. My brother owned a 3500 Dodge Ram, full cab, 8 inch lift with 42 inch super swamper mud tires. My friends called it the grave digger. My brother wanted to go visit a friend about an hour away and couldn't afford to drive his truck which got about 6-7 mpg so he asked to borrow my Hyundai Accent. We swapped cars for one day. I took it for a spin around town to run a couple errands. I felt like such an asshole driving that thing.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 06:53:37 PM »
We have a 2009 VW Tiguan and I feel like an idiot every time I drive it.  It doesn't help that it's financed at an absurd rate, but even without that, it's such a ridiculous and unnecessary car, and I feel like a yuppie soccer mom or something.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 06:28:40 AM »
I will be in a similar situation in a few months. I will move back to the states and stay with my parents until I get things settled. I will have my mom's bmw to drive if I need to to get around. It is over 5 years old now I think, but i just hate driving it and just driving in general.