Author Topic: Woman ends up $13k in debt trying to become instagram famouns  (Read 8187 times)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
Just saw this story on facebook and it blew my mind

How was woman's hunt for Instagram fame led to financial ruin

“I was shopping ... for clothes to take ‘the perfect ’gram'," she said.

She would indulge in regular $260 shopping sprees to make sure she wouldn’t be seen on Instagram wearing the same outfit twice.

She would also treat herself to a luxury item, often topping $1300, each month to parade on her Instagram account which has over 14,000 followers.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Woman ends up $13k in debt trying to become instagram famouns
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 10:30:27 PM »
eegads. This stuff is toxic.
"didn't want to appear in the same clothes twice", how did this become normal hey?

I actually enjoy Instagram but the lengths people might go for 2 minutes of fame is beyond bizarre.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:32:26 PM »
Oh golly. This would be funnier if it wasn't so sad.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 10:36:34 PM »
eegads. This stuff is toxic.
"didn't want to appear in the same clothes twice", how did this become normal hey?

I actually enjoy Instagram but the lengths people might go for 2 minutes of fame is beyond bizarre.

I love looking at peoples travel photos and cute animal photos but I dont even notice if someone is wearing the same outfit twice

Also if celebrities can do it to the Oscars, I am sure "regular" people can on Instagram

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:40:34 PM »
I love looking at peoples travel photos and cute animal photos

And baby photos, right? RIGHT?!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 10:41:37 PM »
I love looking at peoples travel photos and cute animal photos

And baby photos, right? RIGHT?!

only of cute babies I know, I dont look up strangers babies like I do strangers dogs haha

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 12:24:21 AM »
If you read to the end, she became debt free in just over a yaer of trying. Since she is renting clothes, she probably isn't putting much in savings, but that's fairly impressive turn around.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 01:03:50 AM »
If you read to the end, she became debt free in just over a yaer of trying. Since she is renting clothes, she probably isn't putting much in savings, but that's fairly impressive turn around.

it is good that she recognised she had a problem and sorted it out, but the fact she went into debt for social media likes is a bit silly.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 05:25:26 AM »
A bit of a non story that wasnt it?

"financial ruin" - she paid the debt back very quickly and has learned from it.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 04:24:27 PM »
Meanwhile she has almost 21,000 followers so is likely making money and/or getting free stuff from her posts.    And this article is driving people to her account.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 04:36:55 PM »
Meanwhile she has almost 21,000 followers so is likely making money and/or getting free stuff from her posts.    And this article is driving people to her account.

Hmm... the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about :)

I think you're onto something here.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 05:29:01 PM »
Within 14 months she was able to become debt-free and able to reflect on her experiences.

“I had a lot of opportunities to save, I could’ve invested that money in something," she said.

She also revealed her "worry" that the latest generation are struggling to prioritise what's important in life and doesn't want young girls to go down the same path she did in her hunt for online fame.

What would be really fascinating is if she switched gears and became a financial-sense instagrammer. Pics of the food she cooked at home or the clothes she bought/modified from a thrift store, with cost and how-to details. Give her fanbase a new model to idolize.

I guess that's probably too much to ask...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 06:02:00 AM »
Within 14 months she was able to become debt-free and able to reflect on her experiences.

“I had a lot of opportunities to save, I could’ve invested that money in something," she said.

She also revealed her "worry" that the latest generation are struggling to prioritise what's important in life and doesn't want young girls to go down the same path she did in her hunt for online fame.

What would be really fascinating is if she switched gears and became a financial-sense instagrammer. Pics of the food she cooked at home or the clothes she bought/modified from a thrift store, with cost and how-to details. Give her fanbase a new model to idolize.

I guess that's probably too much to ask...
It would be stealthier if she just started shopping at thrifts without saying anything. If she's only wearing it once, why does it have to be brand new?

BTW, I rented a dress once from Rent the Ruway for a  black-tie affair. Totally awesome company. Not the cheapest option, but not a heckofa lot more than the cost of dry cleaning a previously worn dress, and no guilt about wearing it again.

And..notice the bodice is different on Rita Moreno's Oscar dress. Totally counts as new in my book. Especially if she altered it herself,  lol.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »
Boy, this article is making it's rounds... multiple news channels.

And now she's up to 27,800 followers... picked up at least 7,000 new followers from this click-bait piece.

Makes me sad.  I'm trying to get instagram famous by taking trips to interesting places, and posting places, animals, and a few people.  Only I'm doing it on my own dime, thanks to years and years of saving, and not incurring any debt (except for the stuff I charge to my CSR for points and pay it off every month).   If you'd like to support a responsible traveler, i'd love a few more followers at "tflashpacker"

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
Actually, someone in a FB group downloaded her stats.  She had 12,000 followers a week ago, but is now picking up 2000+ new per day, turning her instagram into one that can earn some real money.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 01:37:54 PM »
This is also a good opportunity for her to buy followers; because people will assume the are from the article.  If she's savy, she'd have done that too.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 01:48:21 PM »
Why am I not surprised to see that she is from my city, Miami?  There are lots of good things about Miami, but the tendency towards the superficial runs high here.

A Fella from Stella

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 10:12:19 AM »
Gotta spend it to make it. Just like Pete did. He always had new fancy clothes so that we weren't like 'ah heck, dude. You wore the red plaid shirt last season.'

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »
I personally don't think this poor woman's mental illness is all that funny. I didn't think the Britney Spears meltdown back in the day was funny either.