Author Topic: Why not use my car for that!  (Read 7151 times)

HumanCalculator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • crunch... numbers... crunch...
Why not use my car for that!
« on: June 06, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »
Seen while riding back from work.

A man (an adult male , an able person with two legs) using his vehicle (that's right, a car) to tow his trash bin all the way to the side of the road about 30~40 feet from his house.

He had left the driver door open so he could grab the bin.

This is both stupid and unsafe behavior.

I can't believe this was real.

crazy jane

• Bristles
Re: Why not use my car for that!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:21:32 PM »
I saw the same thing as I was biking home the other day. This man just rolled down the window of his enormous suv, grabbed the empty can, and noisily dragged it up his driveway. This is the opposite of badassity.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:40:35 PM »
Terrible.  Just pay someone else to do it.  That way you don't get your hands dirty.

MountainFlower

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:29:25 PM »
I knew someone who did this and it scratched his paint job on his car.  DOH!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 06:27:53 AM »
Must confess I plan eventually to buy a rack for the back of our Jeep for the purpose of ferrying the trash to the road. In our case, though, it's a quarter of a mile down the side of a mountain. The trash can stays by the road for now because it isn't safe to try to bring it up, and I'd be paying for the convenience of having it near the house.

Editing to add, since I've just been reading about "launch" buttons on Chrysler vehicles pretending to be Jeeps: ours is a 1998 Wrangler, stick shift and real 4WD, used for actual (necessary) off-road applications ~50% of the time it's driven.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:44:43 AM by Rural »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
Chrysler owned jeep in 1998 too.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 09:44:29 PM »
Oh, I know that; didn't mean to slam Chrysler in particular. I just don't get the luxury Jeep trend. Nor do I understand why anyone would buy a 2WD Jeep. In my mind, a Jeep is a tool.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
Agreed. But Chrysler probably knows why, and they're more than happy to make them because the market for people who drive cars on the road and what to feel outdoorsy is large enough to pursue.

Grigory

• Stubble
  • (rhymes with "story")
    • my attempt at blogging
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »
A man (an adult male , an able person with two legs) using his vehicle (that's right, a car) to tow his trash bin all the way to the side of the road about 30~40 feet from his house.
Devil's advocate: maybe he has back problems and would end up in excruciating pain if he were to move his large trash bin 40 feet.

It's one thing to make fun of people who put their entire financial history online and then cry about not having any money. With something like this, though... You don't know anything about that man aside from that small glimpse. How would you like a bunch of strangers to laugh at you because of something they saw out of context?

HumanCalculator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • crunch... numbers... crunch...
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
You're right, I haven't thought about it this way. It would make a lot more sense.

Itchin4Scratch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 10:21:31 PM »
I've seen a woman walk her dog out of the car window.  I totally cracked up!  People and their cars!  lolol

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 07:39:06 AM »
I've seen a woman walk her dog out of the car window.  I totally cracked up!  People and their cars!  lolol

Dangerous for the poor dog, too.

Starstuff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
Devil's advocate: maybe he has back problems and would end up in excruciating pain if he were to move his large trash bin 40 feet.

It's one thing to make fun of people who put their entire financial history online and then cry about not having any money. With something like this, though... You don't know anything about that man aside from that small glimpse. How would you like a bunch of strangers to laugh at you because of something they saw out of context?

Agreed. I drive my laundry the >.25 miles to the laundry building because I would be in a lot of pain if I tried to walk it. I feel stupid every time, but when you need underwear, you need underwear.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »

Dangerous for the poor dog, too.

Depends on where & how.  Small dog, in a street, yes.  But I sometimes see people doing it on dirt roads hereabouts, because walking - that is, at human speed - a medium to large dog just will not provide sufficient exercise.  Both my dogs will keep up with me all day on a mountain bike: the younger will spend most of his time tearing up & down the mountainsides.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 01:15:54 PM »
I do understand that; have you seen a Great Dane go after a deer in the woods? The deer does not win the race...

But I wouldn't "walk" them with a car on our dirt roads, either. The younger one is excitable and might chase something up under the wheels. The older, that's less likely, but accidents still happen. Surely most people who live rural enough to have readily available dirt roads can fence a large enough area to let them run or can "walk" them with a bike as you do. (Ours have full-time access to their enclosure of about two acres -- dog wire is cheap).

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »
Agreed. I drive my laundry the >.25 miles to the laundry building because I would be in a lot of pain if I tried to walk it. I feel stupid every time, but when you need underwear, you need underwear.
That's what these are for!

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
I do understand that; have you seen a Great Dane go after a deer in the woods? The deer does not win the race...

No, but I have seen my younger one (a brindle kind of mutt) go chasing after a bear: a chase I'm glad the bear won :-)  (Actually he's such a wuss that I was worried that the bear would turn and start chasing him, at which point he would run and hide behind me.)

Agreed, I wouldn't do it myself, but it seems to work ok if the dog is trained to it.  The ones I've seen seem to know to keep a good distance behind the vehicle.  I'm also generally healthy enough that I can bike & hike with them.  When I was laid up with a sprained ankle last year, I was pretty tempted to go for the car thing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!