Author Topic: Wasting of Socks...Rant!  (Read 12801 times)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Wasting of Socks...Rant!
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »
It seems odd to me that people wouldn't buy all of the same kind of sock. What benefit is there in different white socks? I can understand athletic socks vs dress socks, but after that, what does it matter?

One of those things where I find human behavior bizarre. Like people who don't plan their route in advance when going someplace. They just start driving/biking/walking and suddenly they are making 8 left turns and you are like WTF ARE YOU DOING?!?!!
I don't remember where I bought any of my socks, could have been in different provinces or countries too, and it takes a few years until I need new ones again. I buy in batches when I do get them, but each batch is slightly different, so that's why mine aren't all the same.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2018, 05:47:26 PM »
This is funny. People will repair their own washing machines and replace their own roofs to save money, but pairing socks is too hard?

I'd rather repair my roof for a couple days every 20 years than pair up socks 1040 times in a 20 year period.

If your roof only needs work every 20 years, you'll be darned lucky. And nobody ever fell off a pile of socks and broke their neck - so, hah!

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
I tried to do the "buy a bunch of pairs of all the same socks" thing with some plain black socks... and it worked until my family noticed I was wearing a bunch of plain black socks and bought me more plain black socks that were SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT.

They're different enough that I personally would feel weird wearing them together, so now I have to match my socks anyway...

Not sure why anyone would leave perfectly good socks in the laundry, though.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
Yeah, and now there's a bottle of laundry detergent that somebody left down there, and what looks like a dog blanket. (Smallish fleece blanket in browns and beiges with a paw print pattern. ) Now it's bad enough leaving your socks all over the complex, but Your Dog's Blanket???!! It's not like they're forgetting or losing something at a laundromat clear across town--this is one of our complex's laundry rooms. Come on people--walk back here and get your stuff--your dog wants its blanket!

I can't believe this thread keeps getting longer and longer. It's as bad as the threads about tipping, or about dog poop.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2018, 07:34:15 PM »
I can't believe this thread keeps getting longer and longer. It's as bad as the threads about tipping, or about dog poop.

But but... you started the thread!

(There are threads about dog poop?)

Not sure why anyone would leave perfectly good socks in the laundry, though.

Because it was an accident?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2018, 08:05:18 AM »

But but... you started the thread!

(There are threads about dog poop?)

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/dog-poop-how-do-you-handle-it/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/dog-waste-in-my-yard/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/is-there-a-dog-backlash-coming/
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/entrepreneurship/dog-waste-removal-business/

And I couldn't even find the one I was looking for.

Well, I was just making a joke--sort of teasing--about the thread getting so long. I am serious about thinking that leaving your stray socks all over the place is wasteful.  But this thread that I started has garnered more interest than I thought it would.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2018, 04:45:07 AM »
In a related matter, do you guys darn your socks when they get holes in them?  I go through socks kind of quickly because the soles of my feet are very rough and caloused and tend to rip through the cotton sooner or later.  My friend told me that darning doesn't really hold up well (at least with modern sock materials) and that it tends to be not worth the effort, but I don't know...

It'd probably be cheaper and less effort to file your feet than darn the socks?

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2018, 06:13:30 AM »
I have a lot of black crew socks in the same style but different brands. When I buy a new pack, I take some colored thread and sew a little dot of it on each sock at the top of the cuff, same color for each pack. Then I can easily match them up.

I keep my socks for a long time. I do occasionally darn them if the holes are small and the rest of the sock is intact.

Schmidty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2018, 08:07:17 AM »
I have one even crazier:  Knew a guy that would only wear new socks.  Yep, he refused to wear socks a second time, bought new and wore once.   I bout fell out of my chair when I heard that 10 years ago.  I can not even imagine and couldn't speak for a while once that sunk in. 

I haven't bought socks in so long I don't even know what that would cost now days, or how to calculate how quick a person could RE on that sock scenario alone. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2018, 10:47:51 AM »
Hello group--I see that my old thread about leaving socks around the laundry room is back. I just bought some pairs of DarnTough socks--supposedly they are BIFL. I hope they are, because they are really stylish looking and comfortable, too. And expensive--$22--$24 a pair for the ones I got. Wool content is in the roughly 60-64 percent range. I'm going to wash them in the washing machines down in our apt. complex's laundry room, and be mindful of how many pairs I'm washing--and be sure they all come upstairs with me to be dried on the shower rod. All the reviews say they are true to size, but I'm a perfect 7M shoe, and went with the medium size socks instead of the small size per the size chart. And they fit me fine--size chart or not.

People don't seem to be leaving as many socks around--maybe there are MMMers in this complex who read this thread. lol

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2018, 11:03:18 AM »
This thread is hilarious! (And long-lasting)

I subscribed to the "buy all the same socks" thing quite some time ago. And even went so far as buying the same socks for DD, DS, and myself for many years. I also ONLY buy black socks (DH has some white and gray too).  Plus I buy 2-4 packs at a time. But every once in a while, I wouldn't be able to resist a good deal. Or our favorite brand would have subtle (but obvious enough) changes that we couldn't match the two together. So I still have a permanent basket of lonely socks.

And we get excited when "there is one less lonely socks"!! (sung at top volume).

Still blows my mind that we'll do a load of laundry and only 5 socks show up clean and dry. The sock monster is real y'all.

---------------------

Got arm-twisted by @Prospector to edit my signature ;)
I Survived CM*TO 2018 and am looking forward to Hippie Money Camp - Toronto 2019. Join us to find out just why VolleyHockeyBall is the best game ever!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2018, 06:31:30 PM »
We have a washer and dryer at work (have to wear specialty clothing that cannot be washed with soap, softener, etc,).  I use them to wash my work clothing (being the only female, the clothing contractor does not carry anything that fits a tallish woman-- it's all petite or "unisex", and men's jeans don't fit women's hips, even though they claim to).  Anyway, a couple coworkers bring in their personal laundry on occasion.  There is now a little pile of lost socks on a bucket of detergent.  These socks can only belong to a couple people, but they've been sitting there forever.

A coworker, new to using the washer/dryer, pulled some more from behind the dryer and asked if they were mine.  Nope...  I've pretty much gone to wearing only hand knit socks (because I'm incredibly spoiled).  I hate it when I'm missing a sock!  I'll wear mismatched ones when I have enough of them, but I hate it more for the fact that I've misplaced something that has taken hours and hours (and $$) to create.  Fortunately, my mom usually gives me more for my birthday and Christmas, but I did finally have her teach me to make some (I have one more step to learn-- finishing the toe-- before my first two pairs are completed).

And, you can bet I will darn the heck out of them when they get holes!  I have a few pair that are going on two or three years now.  I wear steel-toed shoes, and these hold up so much better than the socks I used to buy.

The only downside is I'm no longer willing to just save the socks with holes to travel with and throw them away.  So, I'm bringing dirty socks home from vacation.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2018, 07:14:15 PM »
Fortunately, my mom usually gives me more for my birthday and Christmas, but I did finally have her teach me to make some (I have one more step to learn-- finishing the toe-- before my first two pairs are completed).

Knit them from the toe up!  Wonderful toes, easy stretchy bind-off, and you never run out of yarn while you still have the toe to knit.

FatCat

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2018, 08:27:22 AM »
Back to the socks--even if you have 500 pairs that are the same--as I do, btw--when you get your laundry out of the dryer, you are going to know if you have an even number of socks or not. If you know you washed...say...14 socks, then you should know it if you only pull 13 out of the dryer. Or only have 13 when you get back to your apartment. Common sense.

I personally wouldn't notice. All my socks look alike so I don't count or sort them. I don't count the socks going in so if I pulled out 13 I wouldn't assume that meant 14 went in. Sometimes my pets pull socks from my laundry basket and hide them. Sometimes I get a sock wet and change just one sock. I can't always assume there is an even number of socks going in the load.

I do see lots of socks laying around the street in certain areas. I've noticed anytime someone brings a toddler over or I give a ride to a parent and toddler, I find a child's sock and/or shoe. If it's winter I find scarfs, hats, and mitts too. Probably a topic for a different thread, but it seems like parents don't look at their kids when they leave a place or get out of a car.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2018, 11:04:24 PM »
Back to the socks--even if you have 500 pairs that are the same--as I do, btw--when you get your laundry out of the dryer, you are going to know if you have an even number of socks or not. If you know you washed...say...14 socks, then you should know it if you only pull 13 out of the dryer. Or only have 13 when you get back to your apartment. Common sense.

I personally wouldn't notice. All my socks look alike so I don't count or sort them. I don't count the socks going in so if I pulled out 13 I wouldn't assume that meant 14 went in. Sometimes my pets pull socks from my laundry basket and hide them. Sometimes I get a sock wet and change just one sock. I can't always assume there is an even number of socks going in the load.

I do see lots of socks laying around the street in certain areas. I've noticed anytime someone brings a toddler over or I give a ride to a parent and toddler, I find a child's sock and/or shoe. If it's winter I find scarfs, hats, and mitts too. Probably a topic for a different thread, but it seems like parents don't look at their kids when they leave a place or get out of a car.

My daughter went through a phase when she was one where she would constantly pull off her shoes and socks.  Once we were out and in the time it took me to push her stroller down one block she had taken off her socks and shoes three times and thrown them on the ground.  There were times where I backtracked and couldn't find the shoe or sock she threw.  I live in an urban area so was more focused on not getting hit by traffic than keeping perfect track of her clothing. 

Once, I got a parenting tip to put her socks on, then put my adult-length socks on over those (they went all the way up her legs).  Boy, was she mad when she couldn't pull those off!  I was feeling very self-congratulatory until we got home and I saw that she was wearing both her socks but only one of mine.  Damn.  One lone sock of mine left somewhere out on the street.  I sure liked it when she outgrew that phase.