Author Topic: WaPo: Luxury garages replace luxury kitchens as the new status symbol  (Read 7808 times)

ABK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/lifestyle/luxury-garages/?utm_term=.b005c9607a7c

My favorite quotes:
“You select a car every day like you select a tie, and you don’t want them six miles away in a warehouse.”
and
“It’s such a great relationship you have with your cars; they are part of your family.”

I can't relate to either of these thoughts...

briesas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: WaPo: Luxury garages replace luxury kitchens as the new status symbol
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »
Insane! And depressing.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 09:51:49 PM »
Sometimes I wish I was less self-aware so I could be blissfully happy simply starting into the grill of a JDM Honda glancing in at me through an open door in the kitchen (or is Natalie Adams actually unhappy because she thinks she needs another dozen such cars living in her house before bliss is achieved?)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
WaPo: Luxury garages replace luxury kitchens as the new status symbol
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 10:44:08 PM »
I’d love to have A garage, period. This is in a different universe from me.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »

My favorite quotes:
“You select a car every day like you select a tie, and you don’t want them six miles away in a warehouse.”
Let;s see -- my daily choices:
Walk
Bike A
Bike B
Car (If DH agrees to take transit)
Transit
Skateboard (DS)
Electric Skateboard (DS)

Yep! we have a different mode of transportation available to us for every day of the week.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 07:32:46 AM »
I want to build a luxury garage.  Mine will have a lift, lots of room for tools and equipment, air conditioning, and a bathroom.  That's my minimum requirement right now..

I enjoy building cars and I want space to do it better in retirement.  Mine will probably be a metal building, separate from the house.

partdopy

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
My idea of a luxury garage is one in which I haven't misplaced all my sockets in different drawers / tool boxes so I don't have to search 5 minutes every time I need a 14mm to change the oil.  These people must live in a different universe than me.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
I consider my garage a luxury- 3 stalls! Enough for a woodshop, room for 5 bike and both our cars.

It was an incredible upgrade since we had a 1 stall, and no garage previously.  (No garage was the worst- as my kitchen table served as a woodshop, and has a slice through it...)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »
I always said if I hit a huge lottery win I'd buy Sierra Star Tahoe. The garage is insane.

https://youtu.be/5r29R1tJRRw

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »
Definitely over the top stuff.

Admittedly, I'd love a lift so I could do maintenance easier...but I'm good with a standard garage otherwise.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
Sometimes I wish I was less self-aware so I could be blissfully happy simply starting into the grill of a JDM Honda glancing in at me through an open door in the kitchen (or is Natalie Adams actually unhappy because she thinks she needs another dozen such cars living in her house before bliss is achieved?)
She apparently thinks she needs at least two more, and is willing to gut her kitchen to do it!

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 07:25:13 AM »
I know a very wealthy guy, now in his 80s, who is in the process of breaking up a massive car collection that he has beautifully warehoused and stored in Naples, Fla. Collection probably is in excess of $10 million, which probably is 5 percent of his net worth.

Though he has employees who are helping him with this process, it struck me as a ton of work and not that much different from, say, my not-wealthy in-laws in their 70s who have spent way too much time meticulously getting rid of their crap that nobody wants.

Either way, not the way I want to spend my senior years.

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
I know a very wealthy guy, now in his 80s, who is in the process of breaking up a massive car collection that he has beautifully warehoused and stored in Naples, Fla. Collection probably is in excess of $10 million, which probably is 5 percent of his net worth.

Though he has employees who are helping him with this process, it struck me as a ton of work and not that much different from, say, my not-wealthy in-laws in their 70s who have spent way too much time meticulously getting rid of their crap that nobody wants.

Either way, not the way I want to spend my senior years.

This reminds me of a friend of a friend whose house we ended up randomly one night. I think it was actually his mom's house and he lived in the basement or something. Anyway, he's all "let me show you something in the garage" and opens the door to 15 or 20 Model T's in what appeared to be fantastic condition (it was a very large garage). I am not a car girl at all and even I was swooning at those things. I'm assuming they were tied up in trust or something because they had been willed to him by his grandfather but he didn't even have enough cash to afford his own car at that point.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 10:41:50 AM »
My idea of a luxury garage is one where the tools, camping equipment, gardening supplies, etc., are actually in their places.  Oh, I know--I *need* a garage concierge.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 04:04:10 PM »
I want to build a luxury garage.  Mine will have a lift, lots of room for tools and equipment, air conditioning, and a bathroom.  That's my minimum requirement right now..

I enjoy building cars and I want space to do it better in retirement.  Mine will probably be a metal building, separate from the house.
That was my exact reaction when I saw the thread title.  A garage big and comfortable enough for the stuff I want to use it for.

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »
I think it would be fun to be part of a community like that with the garage condos.  I enjoy rare cars.  Although I wouldn't remodel my house to provide more garage space.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 11:17:28 AM »

There's a local guy around these parts who had so many cars he had a giant garage purpose built to store them, and then called it a "museum" and opened it to the public.  It's still a private car collection stored in a private garage, but now you can pay money to go look at them.  There are videos online.

Yea, it's the largest car collection in the world and it makes Leno look like a high school kid tinkering with his trans am, but it's still just a giant garage.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:57:05 PM by sol »

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »

There's a local guy around these parts who had so many cars he had a giant garage purpose built to store them, and then called it a "museum" and opened it to the public.  It's still a private car collection stored in a private garage, but now you can pay money to go look at them.  There are videos online.

We personally knew a guy who collected not only vintage cars, he collected vintage farm equipment and military vehicles like what his battalion in WWII had used.  He built several warehouses in the small town where he lived and employed several people full time to do restoration work.  He would sell vehicles to help fund his business when there was a downturn and rebuy them when things got better again.  He has since passed away but he spent his last years selling off that collection.   Including the functioning Sherman tank that he occasionally took out for a spin.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »
My plan is a large barn/workshop, with a small apartment built along one side, with glass walls between it and the barn, so it's separate in climate, but not so separate phychologically

My fire dream would be restoring and flipping antique cars.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 12:38:58 PM »
Does anyone besides me find it odd that all these "luxury" garages lack tools?

I'm not a car person, but if I were I like to think I'd enjoy spending time servicing, repairing, upgrading, and tinkering with them. How about some of the "car folks" on the forum: could you deal with a garage so crammed with vehicles that there's no space for tools?

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »

I'm not a car person, but if I were I like to think I'd enjoy spending time servicing, repairing, upgrading, and tinkering with them. How about some of the "car folks" on the forum: could you deal with a garage so crammed with vehicles that there's no space for tools?

Currently dealing with a garage so crammed with tools there's no room for vehicles, which is infuriating

There's a happy medium :)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 01:45:02 PM »

If by "odd" you mean "antimustachian" yes--it feels to me like just another form of consumerism or the Diderot effect.  Or put another way, a very expensive type of collectibles.  I also see a bit of Tiny Detail Exaggeration Syndrome--why would you need a Ferrari, a Lambo, and a Ford GT40?  Are they really distinctive enough to warrant spending hundreds of thousands on them?

Now, if you're a Jay Leno type who actually gets joy out of repairing, maintaining, and driving those cars, that may be another matter.  But if it more resembles a museum of garage queens and/or you hire people to maintain cars you don't drive, then yeah, it's pretty antimustachian.

On the other hand, these folks are clearly top 1%, and they can apparently afford to spend this kind of money without impacting their ability to eat so...meh?

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 01:42:42 PM »
My idea of a luxury garage is one in which I haven't misplaced all my sockets in different drawers / tool boxes so I don't have to search 5 minutes every time I need a 14mm to change the oil.  These people must live in a different universe than me.

Same here! And one where I can get my bicycle in and out without bumping into my car!

A garage without spiders would be pretty luxurious too.

skuzuker28

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2018, 02:53:52 PM »
My idea of a luxury garage is one where the tools, camping equipment, gardening supplies, etc., are actually in their places.  Oh, I know--I *need* a garage concierge.
And one entire drawer in the tool chest dedicated to 10mm sockets.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »

Currently dealing with a garage so crammed with tools there's no room for vehicles, which is infuriating

There's a happy medium :)

lol, yeah....I have a slightly oversized one car garage, and between my shelf of tools on one side and my toolbox on the end, there's just enough room for me to put my car in so the driver's door will clear the shelf when it opens, while still leaving enough room that I can walk around the front of the car to get out of the garage.

I would absolutely love to live in a small apartment on top of a huge garage.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2018, 06:25:25 PM »

Oh, my god, yes.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »

My favorite quotes:
Let;s see -- my daily choices:
Walk
Bike A
Bike B
Car (If DH agrees to take transit)
Transit
Skateboard (DS)
Electric Skateboard (DS)

Yep! we have a different mode of transportation available to us for every day of the week.
Luxury. (humor)
Walking -  7.5 miles takes too long.  Office is moving next year to about half that distance, might be walkable then.
Bike A - Check, 40 minute ride
Bike B - Check
Car A - Wife now works from home (woohoo!) so that is actually an option, 25-55 minute drive (awfulness)
Car B - I think it still runs, have not checked in month or so.
Transit - Check, 5 minute walk to the light rail station, one transfer, 10 minute walk from the Diesel commuter train.  ~40-60 depending on transfer timing
Skateboard - Nope, I'd break a hip
Electric Skateboard - What in the tarnation!?  Saw a kid riding one often, then noticed he had a bunches of bandages and was finally wearing a helmet.  No thanks.
Running! - ~70 minutes is doable, but you have to trade off with trains/bikes to avoid back-to-back runs

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2018, 07:27:26 AM »

Same except mine will be attached due to HOA rules.  Doing the research right now on adding 20x36 onto our current 2 car.

peabody58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE 04/2015 @ 57
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2018, 11:38:31 AM »
FIRE in 2015.  Got my Luxury garage in our downsizing/relocation.  For the first time I have an attached garage, no cracked floor, and OMG, I got the floor painted!   EDart Board in on the wall, so I guess it's also a game room!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »
FIRE in 2015.  Got my Luxury garage in our downsizing/relocation.  For the first time I have an attached garage, no cracked floor, and OMG, I got the floor painted!   EDart Board in on the wall, so I guess it's also a game room!

pics or it didn't happen.

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »

I'm a pretty serious car guy and I had the same thought. I excitedly clicked the link hoping to find ideas for a garage I want to build, things like in floor lifts hidden so they don't take up space and built to be aesthetically pleasing. I was disappointed.

LetItGrow

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »

I'm a pretty serious car guy and I had the same thought. I excitedly clicked the link hoping to find ideas for a garage I want to build, things like in floor lifts hidden so they don't take up space and built to be aesthetically pleasing. I was disappointed.

I always expect to get accosted while running or walking because I always gawk into open garages looking for inspirational features. I worry someone will think I am casing their place. Nope, just looking for inspiration.

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2018, 12:10:57 PM »

I always expect to get accosted while running or walking because I always gawk into open garages looking for inspirational features. I worry someone will think I am casing their place. Nope, just looking for inspiration.

Ha!  I have the same fear!  I tried Googling for some inspiration but sadly they mostly seem to be like the above link. I just want to know how people have their tools and air setup - we need a garage decor industry like the rest of the home...

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »

Ha!  I have the same fear!  I tried Googling for some inspiration but sadly they mostly seem to be like the above link. I just want to know how people have their tools and air setup - we need a garage decor industry like the rest of the home...

Check out the garages at https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/garage-forum-61/

There's everything from really nice, simple single-car garages to the ones with TVs, couches, etc.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 01:12:15 PM »

There's everything from really nice, simple single-car garages to the ones with TVs, couches, etc.

Clicking that link made me feel like I fell out of the mustache tree and hit every facepunch branch on the way down

"I don't need a Porsche... I don't need a Porsche... I don't need a Porsche...  I don't need a lotus esperit type 82 on a polished concrete floor... I don't need an mr2 turbo... I don't need it... I don't need it..." <Hugs self>

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 03:09:37 PM »

Clicking that link made me feel like I fell out of the mustache tree and hit every facepunch branch on the way down

"I don't need a Porsche... I don't need a Porsche... I don't need a Porsche...  I don't need a lotus esperit type 82 on a polished concrete floor... I don't need an mr2 turbo... I don't need it... I don't need it..." <Hugs self>

I have one for sale. Just sayin'.

:D

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 03:24:20 PM »

I have one for sale. Just sayin'.

:D

Second generation?
If so, definitely do not pm me pics/price/link

PrairieBeardstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 03:35:12 PM »

Thank you!  I don't spend much time on car forums anymore and I don't own a P-car but this is great!

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 04:43:08 PM »

Thanks, the first one linked made me laugh as they seem to have an aesthetic that their cars and dogs follow, all dark, sleek and with pointed noses!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/garage-forum/423395-racedeck-garage-floors-got-wood.html

LetItGrow

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 06:14:29 PM »
I clicked on, then quickly closed that link. That is a problem!

The floors, I so often covet the floors. I worked in a truck shop long ago and we redid a section of floor and some stairs with epoxy. I don't think I have been the same since.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2018, 07:20:25 PM »
There are some incredible builds on that forum. I'd have to be a mega-millionaire before I'd spend that kind of money on a garage.

The concrete guy who fixed my driveway told me he was hired to build an underground garage for a local family. They now have room for 30 cars under their house.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »
Oh, my god, yes.

And another for 13mm sockets. A place for everything and everything has a place.

Aside from a sandblaster cabinet and a two post lift, I have all the tools I want. Just lack space for it all to be comfortably spread out.

I want a few camp chairs, a mini-fridge perhaps, already have tunes and an aged computer in the garage. A place to sit and visit or a place for friends to sit while I work.

Maybe this spring.

Have y'all looked at "Garage Journal"?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:51:36 AM by Just Joe »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!