Author Topic: Stories from NotAlwaysRight  (Read 17023 times)

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
Stories from NotAlwaysRight
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
You often see great Antimustachian stories on notalwaysright.com. But this has got to be the best one I've seen yet:

https://notalwaysright.com/recession-part-70/97384/

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Re: Stories from NotAlwaysRight
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

DW works fee collections for a law firm. Every time she hears "I'll get a lawyer and sue!" from somebody who owes them money she has to take a moment and collect herself since this person has already demonstrated an inability to pay for a lawyer in the first place.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:59:27 AM »
That is incredible, thanks for posting!

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:04:49 AM »
Amazing, how these people actually manage to make it to adulthood.  Unfortunately, they often breed and produce multiple similar offspring

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »
This sounds like a very young person who can't make good decisions. Very sad if that person is over the age of 30.

Financial literacy, financial planning and decision-making is not taught in schools but it should be.

Some people have extreme ignorance about things like this. Just as an example, I was in an auto accident and my car was totaled. The driver's insurance company sent me a check around $4,800 for the blue book value of the car, at the time of the accident (what it would have been worth if I'd traded it in). A friend of mine, and she's well over 40 years old, actually thought that the insurance company would send me a check for the amount of money I originally bought the car for, over $16,000.  I told her it didn't work that way. She was stunned. She told me I was being ripped off and they should send me the amount of money I'd spent on the car to buy it new. She didn't understand "blue book value" or any of those other terms. She didn't understand how cars depreciate in value over a period of time and are worth less than what you paid for them in the beginning. I tried to explain it to her but it was pointless. She doesn't get it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:01:00 PM by Chesleygirl »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 01:12:21 PM »
I often wonder what's it feels like to be one of those people with so little understanding of how the world works.  If you don't know that cars depreciate, or that insurance pays you so you can pay for repairs, or (another NotAlwaysRight favourite) that credit cards don't automatically reload with more money, you must constantly run into baffling-to-you problems.  The world must seem to you to operate in really arbitrary ways.

Maybe the paranoid beliefs some people have are no more irrational than the world appears to them.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 01:14:57 PM »
I often wonder what's it feels like to be one of those people with so little understanding of how the world works.  If you don't know that cars depreciate, or that insurance pays you so you can pay for repairs, or (another NotAlwaysRight favourite) that credit cards don't automatically reload with more money, you must constantly run into baffling-to-you problems.  The world must seem to you to operate in really arbitrary ways.

Maybe the paranoid beliefs some people have are no more irrational than the world appears to them.

Yep, this explains most of the conspiracy loving folks I know.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 01:53:09 PM »
Oh no, I went down the rabbit hole:
https://notalwaysright.com/this-is-why-were-in-a-recession-part-32/79523/
Me: “[Client], your bankruptcy has been discharged. Please come by the office to pick up the final paperwork.”

Client: “So all my debt is gone?”

Me: “Correct, sir.”

Client: “So, how long before I can get more credit cards?”

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
I've been reading that site for half an hour. Just. Can't. Stop.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 06:31:36 AM »
You have to wonder how the human race made it this far...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 08:29:52 AM »
I remember being young and uneducated and being on my own. The world seemed to pose insurmountable barriers.

I remember hearing advice from family or friends that I knew to be absolutely incorrect.

In 2017 with the internet and websites like MMM - there is absolutely no reason to stumble through life without a clue. I still know people who choose to remain ignorant b/c they use the internet for games and gossip, and never learning.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 08:58:18 AM »
In 2017 with the internet and websites like MMM - there is absolutely no reason to stumble through life without a clue. I still know people who choose to remain ignorant b/c they use the internet for games and gossip, and never learning.

Right. It's so easy to go online and learn about something, before jumping into it.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 09:54:51 AM »
While it would be fun (or horrifying) to think that there are this many idiots out there, it doesn't take an FBI profiler to figure out that a lot of these stories are way fake. Righteous fantasies. The bad guys are just too perfect, and the comeuppance is too perfectly delivered.
It seems that every site devoted to this kind of thing always devolves to a creative writing forum like this. I used to like on call Horrible Airline Stories, or something like that. The host closed it down, I think, because there were so many obvious fakes but he didn't want to remove any.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
While it would be fun (or horrifying) to think that there are this many idiots out there, it doesn't take an FBI profiler to figure out that a lot of these stories are way fake. Righteous fantasies. The bad guys are just too perfect, and the comeuppance is too perfectly delivered.
It seems that every site devoted to this kind of thing always devolves to a creative writing forum like this. I used to like on call Horrible Airline Stories, or something like that. The host closed it down, I think, because there were so many obvious fakes but he didn't want to remove any.

On the Facebook site USARMYWTFMOMENTS, you'll get photos sent in of commander's memoranda or notes taped to a door as the only evidence something happened when it's just too easy to fake it and get people riled up.  In the comments section you'll see a lot of one-upmanship over who had it worse or did the more awesome thing.  You'll get someone respond with "I'll take shit that didn't actually happen for $500 Alex!"

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 10:14:22 AM »
Well, she only missed half the equation(the important half).  Insurance payments are often free money (external societal costs aside). I've been hit twice and pocketed >75% of the insurance money each time.

First time, I got backed into by a grocery truck, ruined the grill and dented the bumper. Insurance sent a check for the shop quote of ~$2300 dollars. I went to an auto body supply store, spend $350 on a new grill replaced myself, and didn't worry about the dented bumper.

Second time, my car was in a hail storm. $4500 for all the body work. Nope, I'm fine with a dimpled car, 100% to my pocket, woohoo.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »
Well, she only missed half the equation(the important half).  Insurance payments are often free money (external societal costs aside). I've been hit twice and pocketed >75% of the insurance money each time.

First time, I got backed into by a grocery truck, ruined the grill and dented the bumper. Insurance sent a check for the shop quote of ~$2300 dollars. I went to an auto body supply store, spend $350 on a new grill replaced myself, and didn't worry about the dented bumper.

Second time, my car was in a hail storm. $4500 for all the body work. Nope, I'm fine with a dimpled car, 100% to my pocket, woohoo.

This strategy works well for the buy-and-hold car drivers, of which there are many on this site. People who want to sell their cars or maintain a high trade-in value will generally get the bodywork done. I wouldn't recommend a similar approach for non-cosmetic damage such as a broken strut or severely dented wheel.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »

(I have just ordered a meal at a fast food restaurant, and my bill comes to $4.15. I have a $5 bill and I do not want a fist full of change, so I offer the cashier a quarter and the five. She looks at me blankly.)

Cashier: “That’s too much. I just need the five.”

Me: “Can you just give me the change?”

Cashier: “I can give you change for the five. I don’t need the quarter.”

Me: “I really don’t want all that change, if you don’t mind.”

Cashier: “Uh, I don’t know if I can do that.”

Me: “Just give me a dollar and a dime.”

Cashier: “I’ll have to check with the manager about this. It doesn’t look right.”

(Summons the manager.)

Manager: “What’s the problem?”

Me: “The bill is $4.15. I gave the cashier $5.25, but she doesn’t know how to make change for it.”

Manager: “We just need the five. You get 85 cents change.”

Me: “I’d prefer to not have all that change. Just give me a dollar and a dime.”

Manager: “Listen, bud. We get scammers in here all the time. If you don’t want to pay, I’ll call the cops.”

Me: *surrenders* “That won’t be necessary. I’ll just take the change.”

Manager: “Ring him up.”

(I give the cashier $5, she gives me three quarters and a dime change. I pocket the dime and pull out my quarter.)

Me: “Can I get a dollar bill for these four quarters?”

Manager: “Sure! We can always use the quarters!”

Literally facepalmed on this one lol. Love this site.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:56 PM »

This strategy works well for the buy-and-hold car drivers, of which there are many on this site. People who want to sell their cars or maintain a high trade-in value will generally get the bodywork done. I wouldn't recommend a similar approach for non-cosmetic damage such as a broken strut or severely dented wheel.

Yeah, obviously things that make the car unsafe would need to be fixed, but I don't know that I agree with your first point. I suppose if it's a really new/expensive car the repairs might be warranted. But for most pedestrian cars the cost of some repairs would more than offset the cost of increased resale value. Especially on older cars. For instance the car with the hail damage was worth maybe $7K, I was actually worried they might total it(though supposedly you can buy it back sometimes?). Spending $4500 to repair the hail damage would have definitely been a loss. 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »
I don't know.  More than once I've seen situations in my job that include "perfect bad guys" and "comuppances perfectly delivered".  With all the people contributing to boards like that, plenty of true stories must exist. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 09:38:43 PM »
I know of several wonderful come-uppances for nasty and/or childish people I've worked with.  Always puts a smile on my face.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 09:41:56 PM »

I get that blank "I can't math" stare all the time when I shop. It's almost an instinct at this point for me to give them the amount that will ensure I get the smallest number of coins back in change, and lots of folks at the register just give you that really dumb look when what you give them is a bit complex.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 08:17:17 AM »
What's crazy is that any cash register will do the math for the clerk no matter how much money you hand them.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »

(I have just ordered a meal at a fast food restaurant, and my bill comes to $4.15. I have a $5 bill and I do not want a fist full of change, so I offer the cashier a quarter and the five. She looks at me blankly.)

Cashier: “I’ll have to check with the manager about this. It doesn’t look right.”

(Summons the manager.)

Me: “The bill is $4.15. I gave the cashier $5.25, but she doesn’t know how to make change for it.”

Manager: “Listen, bud. We get scammers in here all the time. If you don’t want to pay, I’ll call the cops.”

(I give the cashier $5, she gives me three quarters and a dime change. I pocket the dime and pull out my quarter.)

I seriously do this all the time. What? You're charging me $7.89? Well, how about we keep it simple, and I give you $10.14?

damyst

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 12:11:55 AM »

(Summons the manager.)

Not quite as egregious, but -
I needed to buy some laundry detergent from a hotel front desk late one night.
The price was $3. I hand the clerk a twenty. He opens a drawer, takes out a calculator.
As I'm standing there baffled, he punches in "20-3=", then hands me my 17 dollars change.

I guess it could have been worse - at least he knew how to operate a calculator.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 08:12:40 AM »
Sadly, I can top this. At a Sprouts recently, a manager was training an apparent new hire. When a third and fourth customer approached, she opened the next register to help them. Their registers are in pairs, so she was literally right next to the newbie, but facing someone else. The person in front of me paid cash and the newb punched in the amount of payment. Then he says "It says eighty. How do I do that?" Instinctively, I answered, while pointing to his cash drawer, "It's three of those and one of those." The manager smiled and thanked me, as did the newb.

I've worked retail for so many years that it took me a second to realize that he literally couldn't recognize the value of the specific coins, much less do the addition. Facepalm.

Another time, I bought about six bucks worth of stuff at Trader Joe's and paid with a ten. The clerk pulled about seven ones out and started to hand them to me. "Uh, that's gonna be to much" says I. "Thanks for being so honest" says he, "I'm really bad at math."  [In my head, I say] Um, no. That's not math. The register did that for you. That's just counting. You really work as a cashier at TJ's and you cannot count to four? I thought that one took the cake until the very recent Sprouts experience.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 12:12:17 PM »

Yeah, obviously things that make the car unsafe would need to be fixed, but I don't know that I agree with your first point. I suppose if it's a really new/expensive car the repairs might be warranted. But for most pedestrian cars the cost of some repairs would more than offset the cost of increased resale value. Especially on older cars. For instance the car with the hail damage was worth maybe $7K, I was actually worried they might total it(though supposedly you can buy it back sometimes?). Spending $4500 to repair the hail damage would have definitely been a loss.

You can't just carry your $1,920 purse around in a dented car.  C'mon.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 05:16:52 PM »
Not quite as egregious, but -
I needed to buy some laundry detergent from a hotel front desk late one night.
The price was $3. I hand the clerk a twenty. He opens a drawer, takes out a calculator.
As I'm standing there baffled, he punches in "20-3=", then hands me my 17 dollars change.

I guess it could have been worse - at least he knew how to operate a calculator.
Here's a situation that happened to me years ago:

I pulled into the gas station, and the sign outside said something like 1.17/gallon ... after I started pumping gas, I realized that the pump was set incorrectly ... it said gas was .17/gallon.  I filled my car, and I went in to pay (this was before pay-at-the-pump).  The two girls working in the store realized something was wrong, and they talked and talked about how to figure out the correct price.  They knew how many gallons I'd pumped, and they knew the correct price, but they COULD NOT figure out how much I owed.  I wasn't going to help, so I just stood there.  After a couple minutes one of them said, "Will you just give us $5?"  Uh, yeah, sure, I can do that.

mousebandit

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 10:37:36 PM »
This my new favorite thread.  I am sitting here giggling like a schoolgirl.  OMGoodness!

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 04:47:53 AM »

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 08:38:02 AM »
I've spent way to much time on this site, I just can't look away!  Here's another few good ones on money/basic finances.

https://notalwaysright.com/10-reasons-why-customers-should-not-be-trusted-with-their-own-money/66312/

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 10:06:31 AM »

Yeah. Even in the original linked story:

Caller: “I spent all of it! I don’t have that money anymore.”

Me: *assuming she spent it on necessities such as rent or food* “I’m sorry to hear that. May I ask what you spent it on?”

If the insurance agent assumed she spent it in necessities then why did she ask what the caller spent it on? Why would this information even matter to the insurance company? The insurance agent has confirmed that she received the check and she cashed the check  - why is she prying further?

Where in her system does it disclose that a police report was filed by the rental company - did she look that up in SalesForce? Did the repair shop give the insurance company a call and let them know that they had to sell the car and a rep made sure to log that in the customer profile for future reference?

I have no doubt that these things happen, but the dialogue sounds more like a "good story" - maybe an amalgamation of several customers all rolled into one.

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 08:40:15 PM »
Another time, I bought about six bucks worth of stuff at Trader Joe's and paid with a ten. The clerk pulled about seven ones out and started to hand them to me. "Uh, that's gonna be to much" says I. "Thanks for being so honest" says he, "I'm really bad at math."  [In my head, I say] Um, no. That's not math. The register did that for you. That's just counting. You really work as a cashier at TJ's and you cannot count to four? I thought that one took the cake until the very recent Sprouts experience.

Back when I hadn't killed all my stupid money habits, I swung by a gas-station and bought a pack of smokes and a bottle of soda.  The total was $4 and change.  Yeah, this was a long time ago (back when a pack of smokes as just a few bucks) .  I don't even go inside gas stations now.

Anyway, I hand the cashier a $10 bill.  They must have accidentally hit the button for $20.  The cashier hands me $15 and change.

"No, I gave you ten dollars."  I hand her back the $10 bill.

"I know you gave me $10.  This is your change."  She hands me BACK the $10 bill, placing it on the $5 bill in that hand.

"You're giving me too much money.  I paid with a $10 bill, my change should be a little more than $5."

"No.  This is your change.  It says it right here on the register."

"I gave you one of these [hold the $10 bill up], how can my change be one of these and more money? [at which point I showed it next to the rest of the money]

She looked at the money.  She eventually said that she doesn't know how it worked.  But, she insisted that it was right.  It took me walking her though it a couple more times when she realized that my change should NOT be more than the amount I originally gave her.  I wasn't sure I completely convinced her, actually.  I think she finally took the $10 bill back just to get me to shut up and leave.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »
I've received incorrect change perhaps once every two years (lately I'm trying to have more cash transactions).

Something inside me kicks in and gently corrects the cashier. I always get made at myself because I feel like an idiot returning that money to a large, faceless corporation. I suppose it means I have a strong moral compass, but it never feels as good.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »
I've received incorrect change perhaps once every two years (lately I'm trying to have more cash transactions).

Something inside me kicks in and gently corrects the cashier. I always get made at myself because I feel like an idiot returning that money to a large, faceless corporation. I suppose it means I have a strong moral compass, but it never feels as good.

Well, depending on their policies, you're maybe preventing the cashier from being punished because the till is short?

eliza

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 12:15:24 PM »
Thanks for introducing me to a new site that is going to end up eating my entire afternoon.

Some of the stories do seem a bit fake, but I've had my share of baffling customer service interactions.   My favorite was a stay at an Aloft hotel.  After booking, I had found a cheaper rate and applied for price match.  This lowered my prices from $110 to $85 (prices made up, because I can't remember, but something like that).  In the morning, I was in a hurry to get to the airport, so I just shoved the folio they put under my door in my bag and left.

After I got home, I realized that the hotel had the room rate as $1, so my final bill was $1.35 instead of $85.   My best guess is that when corporate approved the price match they put the price at $1 and someone was supposed to adjust it back to the new amount and never did.

I'm honest and think I should pay what I agreed to, so I call the hotel the next day.

Me: Hi, I checked out yesterday and there is an issue with my folio.
Clerk: We have no way of adjusting folios after you check out.

This is an odd response.  I was living full time in hotels at the time due to my work travel, and had a handful of times when things had to be adjusted after check out and had never been told it couldn't be done.  I assume the clerk just didn't know how to do it.

Me: Could you possibly transfer me to accounting?
Clerk: snippy  I can, but they won't be able to do anything for you either.
Me: I'd still like to talk to them.

Accounting Clerk: Clerk says that there is a problem with your bill.
Me: Yes, the room rate was the wrong amount and I'd like to have it fixed.
AC: We don't make adjustments after check out.
Me: baffled Could you just pull up the folio and I can show you what the issue is.
AC: yelling  We don't make any adjustments to folios after checkout.  It's impossible.

At that point I decided that I had done my duty, and if they were that insistent on not fixing the issue, I wasn't going to push it any farther.

I did end up emailing corporate because their bizarre response made me suspicious that they actually were doing something wrong with the billing to other guests.   I don't know what came of it because corporate never responded.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »

Well, depending on their policies, you're maybe preventing the cashier from being punished because the till is short?

It's a good instinct for the day they have the incorrect change and it's not in your favor. I once swung by a gas station to pick up a quick gallon of milk and wasn't paying attention to the till when it showed the price and just handed the guy a twenty. He handed me back $5 and change. I had to look and make sure I wasn't accidentally buying milk infused with gold or milk from the last cow on earth.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 01:04:55 PM »

I did end up emailing corporate because their bizarre response made me suspicious that they actually were doing something wrong with the billing to other guests.   I don't know what came of it because corporate never responded.

Weird, but you did your part. I'm just glad that you came out ahead in this situation.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 03:01:40 PM »
Thanks for introducing me to a new site that is going to end up eating my entire afternoon.

Some of the stories do seem a bit fake, but I've had my share of baffling customer service interactions.   My favorite was a stay at an Aloft hotel.  After booking, I had found a cheaper rate and applied for price match.  This lowered my prices from $110 to $85 (prices made up, because I can't remember, but something like that).  In the morning, I was in a hurry to get to the airport, so I just shoved the folio they put under my door in my bag and left.

After I got home, I realized that the hotel had the room rate as $1, so my final bill was $1.35 instead of $85.   My best guess is that when corporate approved the price match they put the price at $1 and someone was supposed to adjust it back to the new amount and never did.

I'm honest and think I should pay what I agreed to, so I call the hotel the next day.

This is an odd response.  I was living full time in hotels at the time due to my work travel, and had a handful of times when things had to be adjusted after check out and had never been told it couldn't be done.  I assume the clerk just didn't know how to do it.

Me: baffled Could you just pull up the folio and I can show you what the issue is.
AC: yelling  We don't make any adjustments to folios after checkout.  It's impossible.

At that point I decided that I had done my duty, and if they were that insistent on not fixing the issue, I wasn't going to push it any farther.

My guess would be a lot of the time people think their bill is too high (maybe people not thinking about taxes/local fees?), and so their default answer is they don't adjust.

Bad customer service cost them in this scenario because they didn't want to even consider that the error could be the reverse of what they normally see.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »
   That is a rabbit hole I did not need to crawl down but GD funny.

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 04:37:46 AM »

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 07:50:00 AM »
Sadly ironic how many broke women have really nice purses (and broke men have really nice toys, too).

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 07:52:42 AM »
Here's another one...

https://notalwaysright.com/swimming-in-debt/119550/

Apparently, it's common for teachers in Arizona to make withdrawals from their pension every year so they have money over the summer.  They are then shocked when they reach retirement age and find they have no pension!

AnswerIs42

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 08:57:12 AM »
I quite like the subtle "it is to be used for when you retire, which doesn’t look like you will be for quite some time still." dig in that one. I didn't even notice that on first reading :)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 11:16:01 AM »

My guess would be a lot of the time people think their bill is too high (maybe people not thinking about taxes/local fees?), and so their default answer is they don't adjust.

Bad customer service cost them in this scenario because they didn't want to even consider that the error could be the reverse of what they normally see.

Depends. A hotel I stayed at billed me for parking (even though it was included in the group rate) and charged me for room service that I never ordered. I called them and got a surly sounding person that took my number and said he would look into it. I didn't hear anything and I called him a day later and got the "I don't know what you're talking about" response. So I blasted them on Yelp and Google Reviews and got the GM's email, who promptly apologized and reversed the charges. I guess some people don't put up a fuss and just take it.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2018, 01:24:09 PM »

I get that blank "I can't math" stare all the time when I shop. It's almost an instinct at this point for me to give them the amount that will ensure I get the smallest number of coins back in change, and lots of folks at the register just give you that really dumb look when what you give them is a bit complex.
Former coworker of mine was a prime example on the numbers thing, couldn't count to save his life (3 apples was fine but 50 transport costs with 100 repair cost would leave him literally stammering). He was also disabled due to oxygen shortage to the brain though so he was actually tested during childhood and confirmed to be suffering from some kind of problem along with all the other problems (spasms, motor function etc.).

Point is, a lot of people may not make the effort (or have never learned) but there are also legitimate reasons why someone can't actually do simple calculations.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2018, 10:39:33 AM »
Their least effort is far, far lower than your least effort. Some people seem to go through the day making the absolutely least effort to get the work done correctly. Thinking is hard work. /s

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!