Author Topic: So you got laid off? Go buy a new Mustang.  (Read 5714 times)

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
So you got laid off? Go buy a new Mustang.
« on: January 15, 2019, 07:43:11 PM »
One of my car friends has been posting on FB for several months about the new Mustang that he had custom ordered (because options blah blah).  He is a truck driver, is about 60, and has previously posted various "I'm so broke" comments, along with a GoFundMe page for his wife's medical expenses. 

Right before Christmas, he got laid off/fired, which is a shitty thing to have happen, at a shitty time of year.  I hope he finds a job soon, because he's a great guy. 

I'd forgotten about the car.  A couple of days ago, he posted celebratory pics of his new ride, and mentioned that since he was still looking for work, his wife would get to drive it a bit.  People are congratulating him on his purchase...

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Re: So you got laid off? Go buy a new Mustang.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 09:16:47 PM »
What a terrible life decision... a mustang!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 04:43:50 AM »
One of my car friends has been posting on FB for several months about the new Mustang that he had custom ordered (because options blah blah).  He is a truck driver, is about 60, and has previously posted various "I'm so broke" comments, along with a GoFundMe page for his wife's medical expenses. 

Right before Christmas, he got laid off/fired, which is a shitty thing to have happen, at a shitty time of year.  I hope he finds a job soon, because he's a great guy. 

I'd forgotten about the car.  A couple of days ago, he posted celebratory pics of his new ride, and mentioned that since he was still looking for work, his wife would get to drive it a bit.  People are congratulating him on his purchase...

Perhaps he used the severance payment (assuming not fired)? Still, a pretty ordinary decision if he has a go fund me page running in parallel.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 07:39:04 AM »
This hurts my brain.

HamsterStache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:45:55 AM »
If he had custom ordered it several months ago, perhaps there wasn't any canceling? I don't know, I've never custom ordered a car before...

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 10:02:46 AM »
If he had custom ordered it several months ago, perhaps there wasn't any canceling? I don't know, I've never custom ordered a car before...

Custom ordered my latest car.  I had to put down a $1k deposit, which was debatable if it was refundable or not.  Based on my internet research, I put the deposit on a credit card (reversed the transaction at delivery) so I could dispute the charge if necessary. 

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 07:41:26 PM »
 We've custom ordered 3 cars over the years.  It's a good way to get what you actually want in a car, instead of how the cars come optioned as ordered by the dealer - or just packaged with popular options by the factory -"sales bank" cars.  Generally you need to wait a couple months for delivery, as the car is built to your specs.

So maybe you want a car in a Certain Color , with certain go-fast performance options, but None of the navigation / entertainment / luxury seating / power everything / distance control garbage.  Most likely will not find your desired set-up on any car lot.
    So a person could buy a vehicle they have on the lot, with extraneous, heavy do-dads, 2nd choice color etc -- and compromise your wishes+ pay a generally higher price point -- or leave a down payment and wait for it to be built + delivered.

Both of the major manufacturer vehicles we put about $2000 down, had researched prices beforehand [ Edmunds, etc] , and paid $500 over actual invoice cost [ because edmunds spells out invoice cost of each option as well .] 

Also , on sales bank cars, the 100 or more vehicles the dealer has sitting on the lot for someone who needs a car Today, the dealer generally has a "holdback" cost of several hundred dollars, that they owe the manufacturer for "advancing" them the car to fill up the lot.  On an ordered car, there is no "holdback" because the vehicle hasn't been sitting on the lot costing the dealer money as it gathers dust, and taking up space - so the dealer is usually more comfortable negotiating lower on price.

Nonetheless, kendallf's friend probably should have just given up his deposit, chalked it up to a life lesson/ unfortunate circumstance, and never took delivery of the Mustang.   For myself , I'm well aware of the folly of buying a new car vs used, but sometimes dumb choices lead to good screennames....

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 07:45:02 PM »

LOL I know!  He's a Buick guy, for chrissakes!  He has a 70 GS clone with a 455, so I don't know what he was thinking with the Mustang (which is a base model because at least he didn't spring another $10k for the GT).

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 06:31:07 AM »

LOL I know!  He's a Buick guy, for chrissakes!  He has a 70 GS clone with a 455, so I don't know what he was thinking with the Mustang (which is a base model because at least he didn't spring another $10k for the GT).

Wellll....I mean if you're already making a very questionable decision by custom ordering a Mustang, you might as well get the GT ;)

I've only ever bought one car new before (probably never will again), and it took the dealer about 10 minutes of searching online and maybe a week for them to ship the exact car specs I wanted from another dealer (I wanted fewer frills but more power and a manual transmission at the time).  Wasn't any more expensive than buying a car they had on the lot.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 06:47:17 AM »
A manual transmission is hard to find these days. We went through the same thing for a manual transmission 20 years ago.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 02:15:07 AM »

Maybe he figures the Buick GS 455 clone, is great to have around , and look at, and of course drive that torque-monster.... but it's also sort of a semi-liquid emergency fund ... since he could feasibly sell it in probably within a month or two for $15K to 25K depending how nice it is and if the right buyer is ready.

I've used that justification myself, in owning more cars, than your average North American. "well if i have big money problems i'll unload the cars 1st" - It is weak sauce reasoning from a MMm perspective, since to get the money quickly, most collector car owners would need to take a hit on their "investment".

Could be that he had planned to put it up for sale soon, seems a fair amount of fellows in his age range are getting out of their old musclecars, and into a new, modern creature comfort filled, injected and smooth running vehicle.  Although a GS 455 clone vs 6cyl modern mustang doesn't seem like a good trade...

damyst

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 11:08:27 PM »
Perhaps he used the severance payment (assuming not fired)? Still, a pretty ordinary decision if he has a go fund me page running in parallel.

The Aussie usage of the word "ordinary" is charming but oh-so-confusing..

Lamancha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 05:34:19 PM »
Have you seen the Audi commercial where the girl quits her job, walks out of the building, and into an Audi dealership.  She then buys a brand new luxury SUV and drives off to "start" her own dream business.  That's sending a nice, responsible message.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 07:55:14 PM »

I've only ever bought one car new before (probably never will again), and it took the dealer about 10 minutes of searching online and maybe a week for them to ship the exact car specs I wanted from another dealer (I wanted fewer frills but more power and a manual transmission at the time).  Wasn't any more expensive than buying a car they had on the lot.
A manual transmission is hard to find these days. We went through the same thing for a manual transmission 20 years ago.

The car has an automatic; I don't think his wife can drive a manual.  I'm not sure what options he felt he needed to order. 

Maybe he figures the Buick GS 455 clone, is great to have around , and look at, and of course drive that torque-monster.... but it's also sort of a semi-liquid emergency fund ... since he could feasibly sell it in probably within a month or two for $15K to 25K depending how nice it is and if the right buyer is ready.

I've used that justification myself, in owning more cars, than your average North American. "well if i have big money problems i'll unload the cars 1st" - It is weak sauce reasoning from a MMm perspective, since to get the money quickly, most collector car owners would need to take a hit on their "investment".

Could be that he had planned to put it up for sale soon, seems a fair amount of fellows in his age range are getting out of their old musclecars, and into a new, modern creature comfort filled, injected and smooth running vehicle.  Although a GS 455 clone vs 6cyl modern mustang doesn't seem like a good trade...
He actually mentioned selling it last year and I told him, only half in jest, that I would buy it any time he wanted to unload it.  I would hate to see him sell it, actually.  I think the new base Mustang is actually a 4 cyl (the Ecoboost) but at 310 hp it makes more power than the GS did originally. 

In general, I support people's right to do what the hell they want, but I also believe that I have the right to ignore any subsequent negative consequences.  I guess that goes both ways for all of us.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 10:02:26 PM »
A really bad decision on his part.

He should have bought a Camaro.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 06:48:43 AM »
The 4 cyl engines they are making today are pretty dang impressive.  Some come from the factory making 300 hp.  Since these are basically all turbo engines, there is probably more power to be had if you are into tweaking that sort of thing.  I think the base 4-cyl they offered for my car put out 260hp (2.0L) getting 36+ mpg highway, very conservatively tuned too.  I opted for the 3.0L turbo straight six because of that glorious music and smooth power (and it consistently showed up on best engines lists); and the mileage isn't much worse.

Anyway...Camaro?  Maybe they've improved lately but my co-worker has a '13 that has been nothing but problems.  Anecdotal evidence, of course.  Or maybe you jest.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:50:18 AM by dignam »

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 07:59:32 AM »

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 11:34:22 AM »
" He actually mentioned selling it last year and I told him, only half in jest, that I would buy it any time he wanted to unload it."

Kendallf - Sounds like it's time to make him a serious cash offer, at about 2/3 to 3/4 of its'  "private party street value"  + relieve him of some financial burden, before he sells it to someone else, without informing you he was going to really part with it.  From your previous posts you seem to be pretty savvy about collector cars, their values, and ongoing costs.  Cash money offer, laid out on his kitchen table, IN FRONT OF HIS WIFE...She will help persuade him.....

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 12:17:58 PM »
The 4 cyl engines they are making today are pretty dang impressive.  Some come from the factory making 300 hp.  Since these are basically all turbo engines, there is probably more power to be had if you are into tweaking that sort of thing.  I think the base 4-cyl they offered for my car put out 260hp (2.0L) getting 36+ mpg highway, very conservatively tuned too.  I opted for the 3.0L turbo straight six because of that glorious music and smooth power (and it consistently showed up on best engines lists); and the mileage isn't much worse.

Anyway...Camaro?  Maybe they've improved lately but my co-worker has a '13 that has been nothing but problems.  Anecdotal evidence, of course.  Or maybe you jest.

They are still doing an inline six? A turbo inline six? Didn't know...

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 01:22:17 PM »

"They" being BMW when talking about the 3L turbo straight six.  Fantastic engine in a car with a reputation of questionable electronics lol.  I was saying in general, new 4 cyls coming out (regardless of manufacturer) are impressive.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 01:22:32 PM »
" He actually mentioned selling it last year and I told him, only half in jest, that I would buy it any time he wanted to unload it."

Kendallf - Sounds like it's time to make him a serious cash offer, at about 2/3 to 3/4 of its'  "private party street value"  + relieve him of some financial burden, before he sells it to someone else, without informing you he was going to really part with it.  From your previous posts you seem to be pretty savvy about collector cars, their values, and ongoing costs.  Cash money offer, laid out on his kitchen table, IN FRONT OF HIS WIFE...She will help persuade him.....

I just don't want to be the vulture.  Also, I am emptying out my storage unit which is the last vestige of my prior unmustachean self.. and I can't fit any more cars at the house.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 10:20:25 PM »

"They" being BMW when talking about the 3L turbo straight six.  Fantastic engine in a car with a reputation of questionable electronics lol.  I was saying in general, new 4 cyls coming out (regardless of manufacturer) are impressive.

Oh, thought you meant in the Mustang.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 11:54:47 AM »

I just don't want to be the vulture.  Also, I am emptying out my storage unit which is the last vestige of my prior unmustachean self.. and I can't fit any more cars at the house.

I understand, the GS clone needs to be indoors, and if you dont have the space at home, Well , than thats just how it is. So congrats on getting rid of storage unit.  Also I get the idea of not wanting to be the vulture. But someone will be...

An idea i have used, both when selling and buying old cars , is to offer a handshake deal, that I [ or they] will absolutely contact the prior owner 1st and give them "right of first refusal " to buy the vehicle back, when i [ they] decide to pass it on. With the understanding that the future price may be higher, due to appreciation , or that I have upgraded/ improved the vehicle during my ownership.  Essentially prior owner gets the first notification and has a week to decide, before it gets advertised in Hemmings or Ebay, club newsletter, etc.