Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 3510013 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #6900 on: July 31, 2023, 07:09:56 PM »
My most recent cat came to me at about age 7 (? she is a rescue).  No young cat energy for me any more, and I don't want her to have to be re-homed because I need a seniors residence.

I got into fostering because I didn't want to adopt a young cat when I knew I would be relocating back to Europe in less than 10 years, but I also don't want to put an older cat through that (again), and I need my kitten fix.

Now I've volunteered to also foster older and/or special needs cat so I still get my cat fix without the zoomies, while offering comfort and love to a cat that would otherwise stay in a cage forever.

Maybe I will adopt a young one when I finally retire, but I already know it will be my last. Any later than that and I'll get a senior or two instead.

I am *not* dying with a pet that will end up in a shelter. Nope.

Yup.

My DD would take my cat but her cat (bigger male who is a pig about food) would mos likely bully my little older girl cat.  She (my cat not my DD!) isn't cuddly and would be really hard to find a new home for.  I'd rather go through the grief of losing my cat to old age than worry about her when I succumb to old age.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6901 on: July 31, 2023, 07:37:37 PM »
After being deliberately cat-less for two years while we moved and sorted things out, now in our new location I wanted to adopt two cats. I said the minimum age is 8 but when I came across each one of them, I settled for them, both 7 year -olds.

I didn’t want a young cat for the same reason.  I don’t want my cat to outlive me. Even though DH will take good care of the cats, and my brother is alerted to being the cat caretaker if we both die, still … what happens to the pets as we get older is a concern.

My 85-year-old friend just lost her 17 year old cat and she misses him very much. I don’t know if she’s planning on getting another cat, but I told her you are very many very elderly cat who would love to live with her.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6902 on: July 31, 2023, 09:25:40 PM »
Okay, enough foamy cats.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6903 on: August 01, 2023, 06:50:50 AM »
Okay, enough foamy cats.

We're just chatting about estate planning and pets until the next crazy relative story comes along.  So distract us with something more interesting.   Like how a relative didn't get it because they died and left their pets homeless with no provisions made.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6904 on: August 02, 2023, 05:59:03 PM »
If anything happens to me my best friend will take both my dogs. I left her some money in my will for vet bills.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6905 on: August 02, 2023, 07:11:42 PM »
Well, sorry to those who don't like the pet foam.

Mom has decided to adopt a 3.5 month old kitten. She has a kitten litterbox, food, toys, and bed all ready to go. Adopting tomorrow. Sigh. Its not a good idea, but it's happening. My sister will be here this weekend and can help with some of the initial work, though mom is going to take the brunt of it. She says she understands and is prepared, we'll see. I'll fill the gap as necessary.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6906 on: August 03, 2023, 02:45:53 PM »

Mom has decided to adopt a 3.5 month old kitten. She has a kitten litterbox, food, toys, and bed all ready to go. Adopting tomorrow. Sigh. Its not a good idea, but it's happening. My sister will be here this weekend and can help with some of the initial work, though mom is going to take the brunt of it. She says she understands and is prepared, we'll see. I'll fill the gap as necessary.

Cats can easily live 20 years, as I am sure you know.  I hope your Mom has an expected healthy lifespan longer than that.

Younger people (under 50) just don't get that estate planning and so on involves thinking about your pets.  When my parents' last dog died of old age, they didn't get another one.  I couldn't understand it, they always had a dog and loved having a dog.  Now I understand.  And when my last dog died I didn't get another one.  Even though I have had a dog most of my adult life and love dogs.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6907 on: August 03, 2023, 08:47:38 PM »

Cats can easily live 20 years, as I am sure you know.  I hope your Mom has an expected healthy lifespan longer than that.

Younger people (under 50) just don't get that estate planning and so on involves thinking about your pets.  When my parents' last dog died of old age, they didn't get another one.  I couldn't understand it, they always had a dog and loved having a dog.  Now I understand.  And when my last dog died I didn't get another one.  Even though I have had a dog most of my adult life and love dogs.

No, she does not. Her health is poor now, my sister and I think she has cognitive problems, dad has cognitive problems.... Jessie, the older cat, is about 7, the kitten is about 4 months (they couldn't even describe it accurately). Dad is showing basically zero interest in the kitten, as expected.

So yeah, if necessary, I'll take both cats. My sister would love a cat or two but her SO is severely allergic. If they break up then she'd probably take them. I didn't want them to get a kitten, but oh well.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6908 on: August 04, 2023, 09:17:40 AM »

No, she does not. Her health is poor now, my sister and I think she has cognitive problems, dad has cognitive problems.... Jessie, the older cat, is about 7, the kitten is about 4 months (they couldn't even describe it accurately). Dad is showing basically zero interest in the kitten, as expected.

So yeah, if necessary, I'll take both cats. My sister would love a cat or two but her SO is severely allergic. If they break up then she'd probably take them. I didn't want them to get a kitten, but oh well.

Ouch.  At least you will be able to take the cats when the time comes.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6909 on: August 04, 2023, 03:25:11 PM »
@Sibley , you have a good heart.

I too will be inheriting my dad’s cat when the time comes.  She’s 5 or 6 and has FeLV.  She’s a nice cat but it will be a bit of work because I also have 2 cats, so they have to be watched to prevent getting too cozy with each other.  And of course one of my cats just loves her.  I don’t know how long she’ll live after my dad goes because she’s very attached to him (he rescued her from freezing in the winter) and the stress might lower her immune system so much that she’ll succumb to something.  But I couldn’t give her away, even though it will create more work for me.  That’s not in my character.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6910 on: August 04, 2023, 08:11:52 PM »

I too will be inheriting my dad’s cat when the time comes.  She’s 5 or 6 and has FeLV.  She’s a nice cat but it will be a bit of work because I also have 2 cats, so they have to be watched to prevent getting too cozy with each other.  And of course one of my cats just loves her.  I don’t know how long she’ll live after my dad goes because she’s very attached to him (he rescued her from freezing in the winter) and the stress might lower her immune system so much that she’ll succumb to something.  But I couldn’t give her away, even though it will create more work for me.  That’s not in my character.

If it helps, I believe more research has been done and transmission risk is lower than previously thought. You can dig into it when necessary however. I had a 7 year old cat (adult adoption) who developed terminal cancer out of the blue, so you never know what will happen.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6911 on: August 05, 2023, 03:04:20 PM »
That’s nice to know.  My cats have both been vaccinated against FeLV and so far so good.  They’ve spent about a week a month with dad’s cat, for the last several years and we mainly put our effort into keeping them away from her food and litter box, but one cat will always try to sneak in given any opportunity.  He’s in love, lol.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6912 on: August 05, 2023, 08:29:40 PM »
They make cat doors with a sensor that only allow the right microchipped pets through. I wonder if you could put food and litter for the little Miss who is FeLV positive behind a microchip door. Could get creative and have the door in a cabinet enclosing litter if you didn’t want to establish a whole room.  I know I’m just offering unsolicited problem solving for a far off maybe!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6913 on: August 06, 2023, 03:37:50 PM »
They make cat doors with a sensor that only allow the right microchipped pets through. I wonder if you could put food and litter for the little Miss who is FeLV positive behind a microchip door. Could get creative and have the door in a cabinet enclosing litter if you didn’t want to establish a whole room.  I know I’m just offering unsolicited problem solving for a far off maybe!

Now that's a very good idea!  I will definitely keep that in mind when the time comes.  Thanks!

Fi(re) on the Farm

• Bristles
« Reply #6914 on: August 06, 2023, 06:07:07 PM »

My MIL just informed DH that we will be inheriting her dog when she dies. We're dog people and we just lost our 14 year old beagle but the assumption that we're all in on taking her dog drives me nuts. Years ago she decided that she wanted a cat and adopted one but then decided she didn't want it so she was going to have him put to sleep. We ended up taking him so he wouldn't be killed. Some people shouldn't be allowed to have pets. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6915 on: August 11, 2023, 12:43:05 PM »
Since we're talking about relatives and pets...this one is not a relative of mine.

A young family man was working as a gardener.  Immediately next door to a paying client was an elderly lady with seemingly no family.  Since he was a good person and it was easy, he started mowing her lawn for nothing.  She'd bring him out lemonade and cookies, etc.  His wife started trying to get closer in hopes that maybe, just maybe she'd leave the house to them since she had no relatives.  Brought over their young (cute) children, made tamales at Christmas, pretended to like the old, smelly incontinent dogs etc.

This goes on for several years but eventually the old lady dies.  They are in the will!  Yay!  It turns out she left them the two incontinent dogs since they "liked them so much" and left the house to the ASPCA.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6916 on: August 11, 2023, 01:24:38 PM »
Since we're talking about relatives and pets...this one is not a relative of mine.

A young family man was working as a gardener.  Immediately next door to a paying client was an elderly lady with seemingly no family.  Since he was a good person and it was easy, he started mowing her lawn for nothing.  She'd bring him out lemonade and cookies, etc.  His wife started trying to get closer in hopes that maybe, just maybe she'd leave the house to them since she had no relatives.  Brought over their young (cute) children, made tamales at Christmas, pretended to like the old, smelly incontinent dogs etc.

This goes on for several years but eventually the old lady dies.  They are in the will!  Yay!  It turns out she left them the two incontinent dogs since they "liked them so much" and left the house to the ASPCA.

Snort!  Serves them right.

saguaro

• Stubble
« Reply #6917 on: August 16, 2023, 12:41:47 PM »

That sure didn't work out as planned.   Deserved but feel sorry for the dogs though.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6918 on: August 16, 2023, 06:41:39 PM »

That sure didn't work out as planned.   Deserved but feel sorry for the dogs though.

It's on the old lady too.  You don't leave animals to people without discussing it first, and you don't leave animals to people without leaving money as well for the upkeep.  Especially for old ones who will need a lot of vet care.

If I were part of that couple, I would be refusing the inheritance and the dogs would be following the money right to the ASPCA, because the lady didn't observe either rule.  Not that I approve of their behaviour, but they got 2 old (this went on for several years part) incontinent dogs with no way to cover their costs.  You can like someone else's dogs all you want (or fake it) but getting a dog dumped on you no matter how much you like it is not acceptable.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6919 on: August 30, 2023, 12:14:48 PM »
My wife and I both drive 2007 model cars. I drive a Pontiac Vibe and my wife drives a Honda-CRV. I think I can get another 3-5 years out of my car. I think my wife wants to upgrade in about 2 years, which is fine with me.

We were told by family members that we should consider buying a Dodge Challenger/Charger because they are discontinuing the model. They told us because it's going to be discontinued, they will hold their value more than other cars. If we don't like the Dodge Challenge/Charger option we should then consider the Dodge Ram Diesel Truck 2500, which they own. They said their 2013 model (which they bought new) has held it's value more than other trucks. I think he paid around $70,000 and it's worth around $30,000. Consumer rating is 4.3/5.

I bought my Pontiac Vibe 3.5 years ago for $2750. Kelly Blue Book says it's now worth $3239 for "good" condition.  Consumer rating is 4.7/5.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6920 on: August 30, 2023, 02:55:48 PM »
We were told by family members that we should consider buying a Dodge Challenger/Charger because they are discontinuing the model. They told us because it's going to be discontinued, they will hold their value more than other cars.
They're super rare! Only 1.6 million sold in the USA!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6921 on: August 30, 2023, 03:56:31 PM »
When a vehicle is discontinued, doesn't it become harder to find cheap replacement parts?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6922 on: August 30, 2023, 03:59:52 PM »
When a vehicle is discontinued, doesn't it become harder to find cheap replacement parts?
Well, sorta, but not really.  OEM parts will eventually become increasingly scarce, but so will the number of vehicles needing those parts, so it balances out pretty well.  Except for rare cars, the market has this one pretty well handled.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6923 on: August 31, 2023, 08:03:16 AM »
My wife and I both drive 2007 model cars. I drive a Pontiac Vibe and my wife drives a Honda-CRV. I think I can get another 3-5 years out of my car. I think my wife wants to upgrade in about 2 years, which is fine with me.

We were told by family members that we should consider buying a Dodge Challenger/Charger because they are discontinuing the model. They told us because it's going to be discontinued, they will hold their value more than other cars. If we don't like the Dodge Challenge/Charger option we should then consider the Dodge Ram Diesel Truck 2500, which they own. They said their 2013 model (which they bought new) has held it's value more than other trucks. I think he paid around $70,000 and it's worth around $30,000. Consumer rating is 4.3/5.

I bought my Pontiac Vibe 3.5 years ago for $2750. Kelly Blue Book says it's now worth $3239 for "good" condition.  Consumer rating is 4.7/5.
Love my Pontiac Vibe.  I have  2010 that I got maybe 2 or 3 yrs ago for about that same price with 114K miles on it.

DutchGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6924 on: November 06, 2023, 09:23:53 AM »
We were told by family members that we should consider buying a Dodge Challenger/Charger because they are discontinuing the model. They told us because it's going to be discontinued, they will hold their value more than other cars.

Did they also collect Beanie babies around 1996?

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6925 on: November 06, 2023, 11:21:24 AM »

Their children were big collectors of beanie babies in the 1990's, which includes my wife. She has a large box of them. I'm pretty sure the box is at our house, but it could still be at her parents house. My wife has made tons of progress on being financially responsible over the past 10 years. I am very proud of her. She now knows that her parents advice on buying a new Dodge Challenger/Charger is not very good advice from a financial or practical perspective. 

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6926 on: November 06, 2023, 12:17:02 PM »

Their children were big collectors of beanie babies in the 1990's, which includes my wife. She has a large box of them. I'm pretty sure the box is at our house, but it could still be at her parents house. My wife has made tons of progress on being financially responsible over the past 10 years. I am very proud of her. She now knows that her parents advice on buying a new Dodge Challenger/Charger is not very good advice from a financial or practical perspective.

This hilarious.  My mom had a beanie baby obsession in the 90s and acquired a large number by my recollection.  They have mysteriously disappeared, probably to a box in the attic, and she didn't seem to be interested in seeing whether they are worth anything when I brought it  up a couple of years ago.  lol

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6927 on: November 06, 2023, 01:19:15 PM »

If it’s already a rare model of an inexpensive car, then it can make it less likely to find reasonably priced parts later on, but generally no.  The exact same engines and transmissions and lots of other parts are often found in many other cars in a manufacturer lineup.  Also, just because the model name goes away, it’s not really any different than a model name that doesn’t t go away, but gets updated every few years.  The Corolla has been around for decades, doesn’t mean new Corolla parts fit on older models. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6928 on: November 25, 2023, 11:19:13 AM »
Often you just need to join a forum that is specific to your old car and people there are finding parts, selling parts and sometimes there are junkyards that specialize in used parts. Rock Auto has a selection of parts for older cars. Usually the parts supply outlasts the cars. If the car becomes very popular then a new aftermarket will spring up to reproduce parts. See any classic car brand - Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, aircooled VWs.

In other news: Had a conversation with our elders about them buying a new car. One spouse of the pair doesn't care, other spouse is eager to buy a new car. Again.

The question put to me, the family gearhead - what do I think of brand XYZ? The answer was I don't think I would buy that brand b/c of reliability concerns. Conversation continues. How many miles do you have on the vehicle that you want to replace?

30,000 miles in eight years.

WHAT? Sorry (quieter voice) - I mean what?

Rather than talk them out of buying car they don't need - whose depreciation could be better spent in other ways such as paying off their mortgage (at ~80 years old) so when the elder spouse dies, the remaining spoiuse doesn't need to continue to pay a mortgage, So assisted living in available to them at some point...

I left that hot potato alone to maintain family peace and reminded them that likely during their next car's ownership, the car would likely remain under warranty the entire time they owned it and reliability just didn't matter.

Of course depreciation on an unreliable brand could be significant but potentially it might be the last car they'll ever buy due to age.

Honestly the right answer from my POV might be to avoid the depreciation so in case they need assisted care one of these days soon - or to help their grandkids in some way with topics like education or money to help they grandkids "adult" aka repair their aged cars or outfit apartments or buy books for their university career. $10K passed around might really help a few of them. Hey (adult) kid, here is $1500 to help you along. 

But, our elders can't see that. Just sitting around thinking about creative ways to spend money they probably shouldn't.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 03:48:29 PM by Just Joe »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6929 on: November 25, 2023, 02:14:01 PM »
I am highly familiar with elderly relatives who are hell bent on spending all their money (and then some) to ensure that they do not have a comfortable or stress-free last few years.

It's hard for me to imagine having a mortgage hanging over my head at 80 years old.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6930 on: November 25, 2023, 04:02:37 PM »
DW and I are paying down the mortgage first before we'll retire. I've read all the forum discussion about not paying down the mortgage but we both need the stability and peace of mind.

Maybe DW and I planted a few idea seeds about keeping what our elders already drive. They agreed they like what they have.

Many car hoppers in our extended family. None can really afford it. The excuses can be entertaining.

Heard from another relative that they sold their otherwise Mustachian car b/c it kept getting flat tires. WTH??? Budget tires was the problem? The following car has been a real turkey. Status brand with high repair costs.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6931 on: November 25, 2023, 07:01:18 PM »
I am highly familiar with elderly relatives who are hell bent on spending all their money (and then some) to ensure that they do not have a comfortable or stress-free last few years.

Some, like my mother-in-law, have never had a budget their entire life, and the concept of running out of money just doesn't compute. Her spending has been curtailed since May, when she broke her hip, but she spent more than $150,000 at the casino in the previous six years.

My wife would sit her down sometimes and show her the bank statement that says "On average, you spend $1200 a month more than you earn", and ask her what she was going to do when her savings ran out. She said "Oh, Dave (me) will give me money", which had my wife cracking up.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6932 on: November 25, 2023, 10:54:28 PM »
$150K! Wow! <cringe>

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6933 on: November 26, 2023, 05:03:45 AM »

Some, like my mother-in-law, have never had a budget their entire life, and the concept of running out of money just doesn't compute. Her spending has been curtailed since May, when she broke her hip, but she spent more than $150,000 at the casino in the previous six years.

My wife would sit her down sometimes and show her the bank statement that says "On average, you spend $1200 a month more than you earn", and ask her what she was going to do when her savings ran out. She said "Oh, Dave (me) will give me money", which had my wife cracking up.

What the actual fuck??

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6934 on: November 26, 2023, 08:18:37 AM »

What the actual fuck??

My grandmother had a learning disability that caused her to drop out of school in 9th grade because she couldn't do math. She went bankrupt by ordering gazingus pins from qvc within a few years after grandpa died. Thankfully she owned her house outright and her necessary expenses were small so she was still able to live comfortably for many more years after her kids took over the finances. She never got around to opening all the boxes.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6935 on: November 26, 2023, 11:10:00 AM »
Another holiday visit to the in laws filled with ridiculous excess is in the books.

Lots of passive aggressive comments from one relative in particular about how they can't visit us (they have literally never visited us except for once when we provided childcare for them while they went to a nearby funeral) because their budget is so tight.

Then we go to their house and see the new SUV and the absolutely shocking amount of stuff they buy their kid and yah.... You don't have a money coming in problem. You have a spending problem.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6936 on: November 26, 2023, 12:23:34 PM »
When a relative died a few years ago the apartment was full of unopened boxes from QVC and maybe other places. It would have been nice if the boxes could have been opened and contents given away. Unfortunately, the apartment was in an old, old building in a major city and was infested with bed bugs! One of the relatives did go in and remove paperwork and some jewelry and a few things that bed bugs couldn't penetrate. Professional disposal guys with zipup suits had to dispose the contenets of the apartment into a garbage truck. The deceased person either wasn't bothered by the bugs when alive or after being hospitalized for a period of time they took over. Seems those old building are infested. You spray one apartment and they skitter over to another.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6937 on: November 26, 2023, 12:28:34 PM »
This isn't a 'relative' story but a commercial I saw on tv. So, it starts off talking about being in debt and how this company will help you get out of debt. No idea how they help the person but people in the commercial were so pleased! This one guy was so happy his debt was paid off he said he could now afford to take a trip to Puerto Rico! I am like WHAT? You just got yourself out of debt and whammo, let's go to Puerto Rico and spend thousands of dollars to get back in debt! What is wrong with people! I know this was just a commercial, but people actually think like this!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6938 on: November 26, 2023, 12:37:17 PM »
Ever know people who are 'hobby' people? I have relatives who like to collect things on a regular basis  from companies that sell collectibles  where you collect, as an example, 12 items to complete the collection over a 12 month period of time. There are many types of hobbies that you have to keep adding to the collection. To me it is just a waste of money and who has room for all that junk? The other problem is that now you have these collectibles such a little figurines. Then you have to have a cabinet to keep them in. Then the cabinet gets full and you have to buy another cabinet. UGH! These relatives who collect 'stuff' barely have enough money to put food on the table but they have to have this junk!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 04:05:51 AM by Roadrunner53 »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6939 on: November 26, 2023, 02:29:15 PM »
This isn't a 'relative' story but a commercial I saw on tv. So, it starts off talking about being in debt and how this company will help you get out of debt. No idea how they help the person but people in the commercial were so pleased! This one guy was so happy his debt was paid off he said he could now afford to take a trip to Puerto Rico! I am like WHAT? You just got yourself out of debt and whammo, let's go to Puerto Rico and spend thousands of dollars to get back in debt! What is wrong with people! I know this was just a commercial, but people actually think like this!

One of the couples on the mmm Netflix documentary did that. I think to celebrate that all the debt with interest over 10% was paid off, iirc. This was when interest rates were still stupid low.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6940 on: November 27, 2023, 08:43:18 PM »
Ever know people who are 'hobby' people? I have relatives who like to collect things on a regular basis  from companies that sell collectibles  where you collect, as an example, 12 items to complete the collection over a 12 month period of time. There are many types of hobbies that you have to keep adding to the collection. To me it is just a waste of money and who has room for all that junk? The other problem is that now you have these collectibles such a little figurines. Then you have to have a cabinet to keep them in. Then the cabinet gets full and you have to buy another cabinet. UGH! These relatives who collect 'stuff' barely have enough money to put food on the table but they have to have this junk!

Not hobby people - collectible people. NASCAR, stuff that sits on shelves, stuff that gets put in spare rooms and ignored while more stuff is ordered to keep it company. ;)

Hobby people are doing things with their stuff. Carpentry, antique cars, camping, bicycling. Still - controlled spending is a must. Don't add lipstick to a porcine farm animal. Controlled spending is a must.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 10:19:53 AM by Just Joe »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6941 on: November 28, 2023, 04:41:54 AM »

What the actual fuck??

My grandmother had a learning disability that caused her to drop out of school in 9th grade because she couldn't do math. She went bankrupt by ordering gazingus pins from qvc within a few years after grandpa died. Thankfully she owned her house outright and her necessary expenses were small so she was still able to live comfortably for many more years after her kids took over the finances. She never got around to opening all the boxes.

Lol, yeah, I have a mom like that, but what I was reacting to was the "Dave will give me money."

Who just assumes their son-in-law will give them $1200/mo to feed her raging gambling addiction??

How does an adult human come to that conclusion???

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6942 on: November 28, 2023, 04:47:36 AM »

Yes, people absolutely think like that. We know a couple who both make 6 figures. They came over for one evening and were talking about how "flush" they were and how they were thinking of taking the kids to Disney. They were "flush" because they had been struggling with 6 figures of high interest credit card debt and had just refinanced their house and were now "debt free except for their mortgage" and wanted to reward themselves for "paying off so much debt."

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6943 on: November 28, 2023, 06:15:03 AM »

What the actual fuck??

Lol, yeah, I have a mom like that, but what I was reacting to was the "Dave will give me money."

Who just assumes their son-in-law will give them $1200/mo to feed her raging gambling addiction??

How does an adult human come to that conclusion???

She's a dingbat, that's how :)

She grew up in a wealthy family, so basically got whatever she wanted there. My father-in-law made good money as a board certified ER surgeon, and my wife said she spent a lot of money as her 'reward' for being a stay at home mom.

She has absolutely no concept of budgeting. She gave us access to her accounts when my father-in-law died, and we found out he was pretty much following the 'die broke' methodology. After selling a rental property, she had around $160k in the bank plus a monthly SS payment of $3300, and $80k in (crappy) investments.

After seven years, she's down to <$10k in the bank, and around $60k in investments. Monthly expenses (maintenance fee, taxes, medical insurance, cable TV) run at around $1500, so she has $1800 of her Social Security check left over.  That and more was going straight to the casino until she broke her hip and moved in with us while she recovers. At 94, she should have enough to make it to the end, especially since the casino spending has ended.

The "Dave will give me money" comment had my wife and me cracking up. My wife said "Do you realize that Dave and I give ourselves $100 a week to spend as we like? Meanwhile, you're taking out $200 a day to spend at the casino. In what world do you think we're giving you that kind of money?" Pretty much a ha-ha response from MIL.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6944 on: November 28, 2023, 06:50:31 AM »
My next door neighbor told me about his wife's stepmom. She lived with her longtime boyfriend in a apartment and was in debt from being basically a hoarder. She owed over $100,000 in credit card bills but kept buying and buying stuff from places like QVC. The whole place was full almost to the ceiling and there was only one narrow path to walk from room to room. What on earth do you do with all that crap? You can't display it or hang it on a wall obviously if there is so much of it. You just pile it up and up until it hits the ceiling? I heard she died a couple of years ago and the boyfriend too. Whoever had to clean that place out must have lost their minds! I am also guessing her credit cards never got paid off so the CC companies got screwed too!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6945 on: November 28, 2023, 06:54:58 AM »

She grew up in a wealthy family, so basically got whatever she wanted there. My father-in-law made good money as a board certified ER surgeon, and my wife said she spent a lot of money as her 'reward' for being a stay at home mom.

She has absolutely no concept of budgeting. She gave us access to her accounts when my father-in-law died, and we found out he was pretty much following the 'die broke' methodology. After selling a rental property, she had around $160k in the bank plus a monthly SS payment of $3300, and $80k in (crappy) investments.

After seven years, she's down to <$10k in the bank, and around $60k in investments. Monthly expenses (maintenance fee, taxes, medical insurance, cable TV) run at around $1500, so she has $1800 of her Social Security check left over.  That and more was going straight to the casino until she broke her hip and moved in with us while she recovers. At 94, she should have enough to make it to the end, especially since the casino spending has ended.

The "Dave will give me money" comment had my wife and me cracking up. My wife said "Do you realize that Dave and I give ourselves $100 a week to spend as we like? Meanwhile, you're taking out $200 a day to spend at the casino. In what world do you think we're giving you that kind of money?" Pretty much a ha-ha response from MIL.

That is just so disturbing.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6946 on: November 28, 2023, 11:34:37 AM »

That is just so disturbing.

It's the debt-slave mentality, though. They really, truly, honestly believe that it's morally OK, and practically necessary, to spend every available cent and then some. Then when all that money has to be repaid, they truly believe they're the victim and that something bad is being done to them. It's why so many entitlement class parents who are tech-savvy enough to set up all kinds of electronic subscriptions for themselves refuse to set up education funds for their children or retirement investments for themselves.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6947 on: November 28, 2023, 11:46:41 AM »
That kind of person is counting on being able to emotionally blackmail the fiscally responsible family members when the time comes.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6948 on: November 28, 2023, 04:34:36 PM »
That kind of person is counting on being able to emotionally blackmail the fiscally responsible family members when the time comes.

That doesn't work on me :)  She was mad when we limited her daily ATM withdrawal to $200, but we weren't backing down.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6949 on: November 28, 2023, 05:10:24 PM »

The kind of person for whom that has "worked" for their entire life.