Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 1038383 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #3400 on: July 23, 2017, 10:00:50 PM »
My mother-in-law just bought DH a HD TV antenna for his birthday.  She actually said "I know you don't want this, but if I'm going to be coming up once a month, I need to be able to watch my football." 

DH waited until she was out of earshot and said "I'm kind of sad about the antenna", which made me extra sad. 

I feel for you both.

MiL gave husband four battery-operated touch lights from Ikea for his birthday. I'm still amazed at how it went down.

BiL presents the gift bag and makes a big deal of saying, 'It's from all of us'.

Ohhhh, maybe they've all gone in on something nice for him.

Husband starts opening it and pulls out a battery charger.

Oh, I wonder what they got him that needs batteries. (We already have a battery charger, but they probably didn't know that, so that's ok.)

Husband pulls out a packet of batteries. Then another packet of batteries. Then a round white plastic light.

What the...

In-laws watch husband expectantly. Husband pulls out two more packets of batteries and three more lights. Bag is now empty.

... fuck?

MiL: You commented on ours so I bought some for you!

His comment, on walking past a bookcase at your apartment and having a light come on, was 'Oh, it's a sensor light.'

Not, 'This is the best thing ever! Please buy me four. For my birthday.

Mil (to me): I didn't know what to get him.

Clearly...

It's not unusual for her not to know what to get him but she would usually ask. And for me it's more of an indictment on his father and brother who do know what he likes but apparently had no input in the gift-buying process. Which is even more baffling when you consider they had to drive past Ikea on the way to our place, so they were obviously present for this very-last-minute purchase.

I'm going to use this as a chance to further scale back gift-giving with them.

My husband honestly would have been ok with nothing, and just enjoyed the dinner with his family. It's the thoughtlessness that hurts.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
Re: relatives love Robert Bankrupt Kiyosaki
« Reply #3401 on: July 24, 2017, 12:29:05 AM »
Just lambasted via emIl by my relative who is a huge fan of Robert Kiyosaki, who is giving a scammy upsell seminar in our town. The upsell is for a $39k course.....

Honest question; do they offer financing?  How do people pay that?  THat is well over all my cc limits combine.

I've heard that at one of these scam-seminars the first "exercise" is to call up and get a $39k line of credit agreed with your mortgage provider or credit card company. It "teaches" negotiation and rapport building or some shit. And then when the hard sell comes in no-one can say that they can't raise the $39k for the next seminar where the True Secrets are revealed. [Spoiler alert, the True Secret is to attend the seminar after that]

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
« Reply #3402 on: July 24, 2017, 02:09:40 AM »
Great Thread! But somewhat depressing...

Parents:

About to hit their retirement age of 65 (Australia) and they will likely qualify for the government pension (around $350/week).

They still have ($200,000) owing on their PPOR that is valued around $600,000. Mum insists on driving an overpriced and expensive to run VW Golf GTI (this car was bought new and somehow rolled into their housing loan) and insists on organic food rather than farmers market food (I'd estimate their food budget is around $200-$300 a week for the two of them). We've had a crazy amount of money related discussions where little bits of advice was attempted to be planted, hoping to pull them into a stronger position for their 'retirement'. I think the expression is 'falling on deaf ears'.

The biggest cringe moment is when their real plan is voiced...they're waiting on Grandmas inheritance to clear their debts.

Big sigh.

Dangerous game, that.

I've mentioned on here before that a family friend of my parents got himself in a serious financial predicament and was blasÚ about it because he was going to be able to pay it off when his mother-in-law passed on and they inherited from her.

The old lady outlived him. Not by much, but a day would have been long enough.

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
« Reply #3403 on: July 24, 2017, 02:14:15 AM »
I've been cleaning out my daughter's bedroom. She moved out a month ago to go to college.

I found a bank statement from a couple of months ago.

She was overdrawn, and was still going to Costa for her lunch every work day.

The little monkey had told me she was saving for college. I suppose the message is that I shouldn't have looked.

I never believed friends in high school that said they had a part time job to save money for university.

I didn't really believe my daughters. The evidence was there that they couldn't be saving much off their near-minimum wage jobs, even allowing for the fact that they're both hard workers and took every extra hour going. Whereas when I was at high school many decades ago we all saved from our Saturday jobs - our parents expected it of us, and I was fortunate that my parents didn't demand that I handed a portion of it over to them to help towards my keep.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3404 on: July 24, 2017, 02:15:58 AM »
Just lambasted via emIl by my relative who is a huge fan of Robert Kiyosaki, who is giving a scammy upsell seminar in our town. The upsell is for a $39k course.....

Honest question; do they offer financing?  How do people pay that?  THat is well over all my cc limits combine.

I've heard that at one of these scam-seminars the first "exercise" is to call up and get a $39k line of credit agreed with your mortgage provider or credit card company. It "teaches" negotiation and rapport building or some shit. And then when the hard sell comes in no-one can say that they can't raise the $39k for the next seminar where the True Secrets are revealed. [Spoiler alert, the True Secret is to attend the seminar after that]

Kiyosaki won't be Bankrupt for long with all those people donating to him at $39k a pop.

I know of a few outfits here that charge you $10-$15k for the privilege of selling you shithouse properties. $39k takes the biscuit though.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3405 on: July 24, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »
Every year around this time, my mother starts asking me what I want for Christmas.

Every year around this time, I tell her
a) nothing; how about we just enjoy time and not worry with the stuff,
b) please take the money you intend on spending and stick it in your 401k - that will truly, seriously, make me happy,
c) I've officially been way too damn old for this, and finally, after much attrition,
d) underwear or some other 'needed' item.

It's futile. I am bugged on a biweekly basis until "tis the season" for a "real present". My proffer of undies or socks falls on deaf ears. *sigh* Grateful, absolutely. But damn...

My family is good with things like socks and underwear. This year, my list is a little different: house stuff. I've got smoke alarms and door mats on it right now. Need to measure the vents for new registers and put those on the list (and decide which ones I want). Mom rolled her eyes but doesn't seem to mind, and I'll probably get some of it.

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3406 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »
My mom is visiting for a few days to do gardening (long story, but she's happy and I don't mind). She said that after she wins the lottery, she'll convince the guy next door to sell and live there. I don't mind her living next door, but:

1. She'll never win the lottery. They'll be lucky not to be living in poverty, and that'll only happen because of me and my sister.
2. She's well on her way to physical disability.
3. The guy next door is a nice guy, but he's got some mental illness and drinks too much. The house & yard are not maintained. I have no idea what the inside looks like, but based on the house side, it'll need a complete remodel to be livable.
4. Dad has dementia, and he's getting worse.

They will either be living with me, or more likely have a small apartment. And they won't be happy about the apartment, but that's what 30 years of poor financial decisions looks like.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3407 on: July 24, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
DH waited until she was out of earshot and said "I'm kind of sad about the antenna", which made me extra sad.  Plus now he has to make the time to install it either on our roof or in our attic, neither of which tasks are appealing in the slightest.  She might not get her football this year anyway because of our sheer laziness.

No, no he does not; that isn't how it works. I might be unable to stop someone buying me a guillotine but I sure as shit don't have to use it.

Giving someone an unpleasant task to do for your own benefit is a low blow.
Sell it, buy the birthday present you deserve.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3408 on: July 28, 2017, 12:01:41 PM »
I have a relative who retired early from a relatively high-paying job, built a dream house, bought an RV, and spends most of the year driving around the country in it.

My main interaction is seeing complaints this person posts on the Fox News Facebook feed, complaining that there's no way anyone can afford health insurance. THANKS OBAMA.

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3409 on: July 28, 2017, 12:10:14 PM »
I have a relative who retired early from a relatively high-paying job, built a dream house, bought an RV, and spends most of the year driving around the country in it.

My main interaction is seeing complaints this person posts on the Fox News Facebook feed, complaining that there's no way anyone can afford health insurance. THANKS OBAMA.
No need to bring politics to this thread.

He retired early, so he had to be somewhat Mustachian.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3410 on: July 28, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »

Nothing to do with politics. Nor, did anybody place you in charge of thread content.

it's about something a lot of us suffer from, that being relatives, usually older white and male, who have given up the ability to think for themselves, and spend their lives absorbing propaganda.  These dolts naturally believe whatever bullshit they are fed, and then decide that their best course of action is to waste time forwarding it to the email or Facebook page of anybody who will tolerate their stupidity. I have actually watched older friends who WERE bright and very successful in life, but, post retirement, have degraded to the point of continually parroting absolutely absurd "facts" that they "learned" from various propaganda mills on cable news, or the net. It's sad actually.

jmecklenborg

• Stubble
« Reply #3411 on: July 28, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »

Nothing to do with politics. Nor, did anybody place you in charge of thread content.

it's about something a lot of us suffer from, that being relatives, usually older white and male, who have given up the ability to think for themselves, and spend their lives absorbing propaganda.  These dolts naturally believe whatever bullshit they are fed, and then decide that their best course of action is to waste time forwarding it to the email or Facebook page of anybody who will tolerate their stupidity. I have actually watched older friends who WERE bright and very successful in life, but, post retirement, have degraded to the point of continually parroting absolutely absurd "facts" that they "learned" from various propaganda mills on cable news, or the net. It's sad actually.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/how-fox-news-and-the-right-wing-media-machine-made-my-dad-crazy

I think what is remarkable about this particular story is that the guy's slide into oblivion started when he had the long talk radio commute.  You have to wonder if the penetration of nutty right wing thinking is more prevalent in the south and Midwest because everyone has to drive everywhere.  It's no mistake that talk radio hates public transportation -- you can't listen to AM radio in a subway tunnel. 

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3412 on: July 28, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »

Let me try to step back and apologize.  I wasn't trying to dictate this thread, I've just seen too many who start with a relatively innocuous statement like that spiral out, and I hate when that happens.  Your statement was not political, but when infogoon equated watching/reading Fox News to someone who "doesn't get it," it seems political to me.  Or maybe I missed the point of why the relative doesn't get it. 

I certainly know how annoying it is, my father is far right on his "facts" and my grandmother is far left on her "facts."  While my father doesn't watch as much TV, he surrounds himself with like minded people who all echo the same things.  My grandmother is not very mobile, so she does watch a lot of TV.  I tend to avoid politics with either of them, although part of me wants to let them know that not everyone believes what they do.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3413 on: July 28, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »
I am not sure complaining about health care costs is political, it is almost become like a greeting.  "How u doin", "Sup?, "g'day mate", "stupid insurance premiums", "howdy there slim", "damn ACA"....   And "THANKS OBAMA" has been an ironic meme for years.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3414 on: July 29, 2017, 05:09:40 AM »
I am not sure complaining about health care costs is political, it is almost become like a greeting.  "How u doin", "Sup?, "g'day mate", "stupid insurance premiums", "howdy there slim", "damn ACA"....   And "THANKS OBAMA" has been an ironic meme for years.
I guess I just don't get why the relative just doesn't get it.  The only thing that made sense was that it was political.

Here's how I'm reading it:
"Relative is living the FIRE dream.  Relative complains about something many other people complain about." 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3415 on: July 29, 2017, 01:35:44 PM »
I guess I just don't get why the relative just doesn't get it.  The only thing that made sense was that it was political.

"Relative is living the FIRE dream.  Relative complains about something many other people complain about."

Pretty straightforward: the relative was a highly-paid employee, bought a dream house, bought an RV, yet complains that "there's no way anyone can afford health care."  Well, if he had saved better, or not spent so much on the home and RV, then he would be better able to afford healthcare.

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #3416 on: July 31, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »
Back OT from the healthcare chatter: My future SIL, OMG. I love her, but sometimes I just want to shake her. She's a teacher in a LCOL state, so doesn't have a high income. She's chosen to live by herself for the last three years instead of having a roommate, so she's been putting 50% of her salary towards rent every single month. She uses shopping as entertainment, has like three closets full of clothing, and goes to Marshalls/TJ Maxx every. single. week. She has virtually no savings and could only go on the family vacay this summer because the future in-laws subsidized her flight, which they did not have to do for anyone else, including the brother who's generally accepted to be a wayward fuckup and who only started holding down a full-time job a year ago.

She's moving today and keeps sending me texts about "oh no, I can't believe how much stuff I have to move, this is the worstttt," and she can't afford movers or to rent a truck so she's having to drive her compact car back and forth between her old city and her new city with all of her crap. Hmm, maybe EVERYTHING would be better if you bought less stuff at TJ Maxx?

Props to her, she is moving in with a roommate in her new city. We talked about how cutting her rent by so much would let her start saving, which I was thrilled about. But then she told me the reason why she wants to save: so she can get a place by herself after the school year :( It's just so frustrating. She tells me she's stressed out about money and I wish I could help, but I feel like I've just started making progress with my SO after three years of dating and a full year of cohabitation. I love my future in-laws, but they did not raise their kids with a lot of financial literacy. I don't understand how that happened, since they're so on top of their own finances. My SO says they just never talked about money and that if there was something they wanted, they would just get it. Sigh.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3417 on: July 31, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
Pretty straightforward: the relative was a highly-paid employee, bought a dream house, bought an RV, yet complains that "there's no way anyone can afford health care."  Well, if he had saved better, or not spent so much on the home and RV, then he would be better able to afford healthcare.

Yes, exactly this. Sorry if it was unclear. It's a classic case of "I can't afford to buy necessities now that I've spent all of my money on whims instead!"

Zoot

• Stubble
« Reply #3418 on: July 31, 2017, 12:10:10 PM »
She tells me she's stressed out about money and I wish I could help, but I feel like I've just started making progress with my SO after three years of dating and a full year of cohabitation.

These "I'm stressed about money" moments could in the future be your "point of entry" into a conversation about money management. 

An example:  while my husband and I were still in the "friend zone" a number of years ago, he and I were talking about weight, and he said, "I've tried to lose weight, but I just can't seem to do it.  I just don't know how, and I wish I could."  I said, "I've had some success with losing weight in the past--if that's something you'd like to talk about, let me know, and I'll tell you what worked for me."  He responded in the affirmative and I told him about the Weight Watchers program (which had in fact worked very well for me in the past), and he decided to give it a try--and lost about 60 pounds over the next year.

I would never have approached him on that topic if he hadn't expressed the frustration and the desire--and even when I did, I just said that I'd be willing to talk about it if he wanted to.  Money is a similarly sensitive issue--the person you're talking to has to be ready for it, and express a desire for it, or anything you say will fall on deaf ears.

I'd also advise waiting until after the wedding--both because you want to focus on building a household with your fiancÚ(e) first, and because after the wedding you'll officially be "family," which changes the dynamic between you and SIL-to-be a bit.  ;-)

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3419 on: July 31, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »

Yes, exactly this. Sorry if it was unclear. It's a classic case of "I can't afford to buy necessities now that I've spent all of my money on whims instead!"
Oh ok, I guess I was putting my personal experiences in here.  It sounds a lot like my dad, but his dream house is 1500 sqft.  He retired in 2004, and Obamacare would have really increased his expenses, and it was 5 years away, so nearly impossible to plan for.  He complains about it a lot.  Luckily my mom chose to continue working.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3420 on: July 31, 2017, 01:04:30 PM »

Oh ok, I guess I was putting my personal experiences in here.  It sounds a lot like my dad, but his dream house is 1500 sqft.  He retired in 2004, and Obamacare would have really increased his expenses, and it was 5 years away, so nearly impossible to plan for.  He complains about it a lot.  Luckily my mom chose to continue working.

Similar to my FIL as well--except in his case, the ACA ripped his business out from under him. He doesn't make much now (1/4 of before the Obama presidency) and thinks he is too old to reinvent himself. In his defense, he has tried a couple of times but has failed. He knew one thing and did it for his whole career, and now it is mostly gone. It is the American dream that pulled up 200 yards short of paradise dock.

That is the point I keep making to my wife--we have no clue what is going to happen, so we better save in case the worst happens. Her dad would have been fine if he saved even 10% more than he was, for his whole career. And by normal standards, he didn't need to--he should have been able to retire very comfortably around 67 years old. But life happened.

It also teaches you that on the political front, sometimes the clearly right and just thing isn't as easy a choice as it seems.

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #3421 on: July 31, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
She tells me she's stressed out about money and I wish I could help, but I feel like I've just started making progress with my SO after three years of dating and a full year of cohabitation.

These "I'm stressed about money" moments could in the future be your "point of entry" into a conversation about money management. 

An example:  while my husband and I were still in the "friend zone" a number of years ago, he and I were talking about weight, and he said, "I've tried to lose weight, but I just can't seem to do it.  I just don't know how, and I wish I could."  I said, "I've had some success with losing weight in the past--if that's something you'd like to talk about, let me know, and I'll tell you what worked for me."  He responded in the affirmative and I told him about the Weight Watchers program (which had in fact worked very well for me in the past), and he decided to give it a try--and lost about 60 pounds over the next year.

I would never have approached him on that topic if he hadn't expressed the frustration and the desire--and even when I did, I just said that I'd be willing to talk about it if he wanted to.  Money is a similarly sensitive issue--the person you're talking to has to be ready for it, and express a desire for it, or anything you say will fall on deaf ears.

I'd also advise waiting until after the wedding--both because you want to focus on building a household with your fiancÚ(e) first, and because after the wedding you'll officially be "family," which changes the dynamic between you and SIL-to-be a bit.  ;-)

True...I'm just nervous about rocking the in-law boat, since overall we do all get along really well. Which is why I'm posting about it on an anonymous Internet forum instead of bitching IRL :) My SO can get a little touchy about money (which I'm sure will be getting its own post at some point, although not on this thread), so I try to tread extra super-duper lightly with the future SIL and the rest of the family. It's just tough to watch the future SIL struggle when to me, the solution to so many of her problems seems so clear.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #3422 on: July 31, 2017, 03:26:03 PM »
My mom is visiting for a few days to do gardening (long story, but she's happy and I don't mind). She said that after she wins the lottery, she'll convince the guy next door to sell and live there. I don't mind her living next door, but:

1. She'll never win the lottery. They'll be lucky not to be living in poverty, and that'll only happen because of me and my sister.
3. The guy next door is a nice guy, but he's got some mental illness and drinks too much. The house & yard are not maintained. I have no idea what the inside looks like, but based on the house side, it'll need a complete remodel to be livable.

They will either be living with me, or more likely have a small apartment. And they won't be happy about the apartment, but that's what 30 years of poor financial decisions looks like.

@Sibley, I went through this with my own dad.  Ending up becoming his guardian for 3 years before he passed.  I hope this isn't too far off topic, but the process went incredibly much better because my wise sister baited me into reading a couple books about memory disease and its effects - typical stages, useful responses, etc.  The knowledge transformed a difficult and potentially overwhelming experience into an understandable and manageable one.  There's a lot of knowledge out there.  If you're going to be the responsible one, get ahead of the curve via research.  From my experience, you'll still have to initiate all the solutions, so you need concrete plans prior to the actual problems.  Fwiw, the process also brought us closer, but the knowledge was so important even to that.  Anyway, you're probably on track already, so - best of luck to you!

Sibley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3423 on: July 31, 2017, 08:45:12 PM »

@Sibley, I went through this with my own dad.  Ending up becoming his guardian for 3 years before he passed.  I hope this isn't too far off topic, but the process went incredibly much better because my wise sister baited me into reading a couple books about memory disease and its effects - typical stages, useful responses, etc.  The knowledge transformed a difficult and potentially overwhelming experience into an understandable and manageable one.  There's a lot of knowledge out there.  If you're going to be the responsible one, get ahead of the curve via research.  From my experience, you'll still have to initiate all the solutions, so you need concrete plans prior to the actual problems.  Fwiw, the process also brought us closer, but the knowledge was so important even to that.  Anyway, you're probably on track already, so - best of luck to you!

Threads go off topic all the time, what's one more?

We are doing a lot of research, and have found a support group as well. We've learned a ton about what the future could be, and have a framework for current as well. Dad has had a problem for a long time, but it's been moving so very slowly that it's only been recently that there's real issues. It is mostly me driving things right now, though with changes in my sister's life she'll be more involved going forward. Mom is day-to-day.

I have financial POA, not invoked yet, but mom has turned to me for help with finances. In their relationship, dad did the planning and mom paid the bills. Mom hasn't been able to pick up the planning, so I've stepped in. My sister has medical POA, and she is much better suited to that role than I. Financially, I'm in better shape. Sister and I are building a structure to deal with what's coming, and it's very interesting how that is coming together.

Managing the dynamic between mom and dad is also very interesting. I say managing, because there are times when we'll step in and tell mom to back off on a topic, or tell dad how to do something (like buy Christmas presents). For example, mom wants dad to bring boxes downstairs from the attic to be gone through. Two issues. One, we're not thrilled with dad going up and down those stairs. Two, dad has lost the ability to determine which box to bring down. So I told mom to back off - he can't do it, and she needs to wait for us. Instead, work on the basement, which is something that she can direct dad on, and also clear space out so that we can bring stuff into the basement from the attic.

The amount of stuff in the attic/basement is another topic entirely.

Abundant life

• Stubble
« Reply #3424 on: July 31, 2017, 10:36:55 PM »

Similar to my FIL as well--except in his case, the ACA ripped his business out from under him. He doesn't make much now (1/4 of before the Obama presidency) and thinks he is too old to reinvent himself. In his defense, he has tried a couple of times but has failed. He knew one thing and did it for his whole career, and now it is mostly gone. It is the American dream that pulled up 200 yards short of paradise dock.

That is the point I keep making to my wife--we have no clue what is going to happen, so we better save in case the worst happens. Her dad would have been fine if he saved even 10% more than he was, for his whole career. And by normal standards, he didn't need to--he should have been able to retire very comfortably around 67 years old. But life happened.

It also teaches you that on the political front, sometimes the clearly right and just thing isn't as easy a choice as it seems.

Well said mtn.

We've had this commercial lately on TV which says it all:

https://mumbrella.com.au/apia-celebrates-wisdom-50s-ad-life-mistakes-young-432842

I think a lot of retirees lose heart when all their careful preparations for retirement are eroded away through circumstances outside their control.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3425 on: August 01, 2017, 06:00:40 AM »
this gave me a chuckle.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3426 on: August 01, 2017, 06:07:16 AM »
Back OT from the healthcare chatter: My future SIL, OMG. I love her, but sometimes I just want to shake her. She's a teacher in a LCOL state, so doesn't have a high income. She's chosen to live by herself for the last three years instead of having a roommate, so she's been putting 50% of her salary towards rent every single month. She uses shopping as entertainment, has like three closets full of clothing, and goes to Marshalls/TJ Maxx every. single. week. She has virtually no savings and could only go on the family vacay this summer because the future in-laws subsidized her flight, which they did not have to do for anyone else, including the brother who's generally accepted to be a wayward fuckup and who only started holding down a full-time job a year ago.

She's moving today and keeps sending me texts about "oh no, I can't believe how much stuff I have to move, this is the worstttt," and she can't afford movers or to rent a truck so she's having to drive her compact car back and forth between her old city and her new city with all of her crap. Hmm, maybe EVERYTHING would be better if you bought less stuff at TJ Maxx?

Props to her, she is moving in with a roommate in her new city. We talked about how cutting her rent by so much would let her start saving, which I was thrilled about. But then she told me the reason why she wants to save: so she can get a place by herself after the school year :( It's just so frustrating. She tells me she's stressed out about money and I wish I could help, but I feel like I've just started making progress with my SO after three years of dating and a full year of cohabitation. I love my future in-laws, but they did not raise their kids with a lot of financial literacy. I don't understand how that happened, since they're so on top of their own finances. My SO says they just never talked about money and that if there was something they wanted, they would just get it. Sigh.
I'm in almost the exact same situation. DF has a 16 year old sister whose parents pay for EVERYTHING despite the fact that she has a full-time job and has had one since before last school year let out. The other day I was over there and she walked in with a sugar-filled starbucks drink the size of her head and told her dad that she didn't have any money for gas to get to work. Um ... wut.
Not surprising when you look at the parents though. The father blows money like he has it. He's a smart guy and works in a lucrative field, so I assumed he did ... until I was told that the future MIL was going to need to get a part time job for them to be able to make their car payments since his car allowance (an unusual perk, but roll with it) from his company had been cut off due to budget cuts...

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3427 on: August 01, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »

Right.  I think some of the issue here is that highly-paid employee was insulated from the actual cost of healthcare.

A lot of people who are professionals work for companies that subsidize their premiums.  For decades, co-pays were low.  If lucky, they were reasonably healthy until their 50s or 60s and didn't really *need* health care

So now they are retired.  They need more health care.  And it's a sticker shock, because they never really paid much in the first place.

It helps, somewhat, to have a baby, or have a surgery, and look at the total bill before insurance - to get a perspective.  Or do what my company does, which is send me an annual "compensation" summary, of how much I make PLUS the amount they paid towards my (+ my family's) insurance.

iris lily

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3428 on: August 01, 2017, 11:45:42 AM »

Right.  I think some of the issue here is that highly-paid employee was insulated from the actual cost of healthcare.

A lot of people who are professionals work for companies that subsidize their premiums.  For decades, co-pays were low.  If lucky, they were reasonably healthy until their 50s or 60s and didn't really *need* health care

So now they are retired.  They need more health care.  And it's a sticker shock, because they never really paid much in the first place.

It helps, somewhat, to have a baby, or have a surgery, and look at the total bill before insurance - to get a perspective.  Or do what my company does, which is send me an annual "compensation" summary, of how much I make PLUS the amount they paid towards my (+ my family's) insurance.
That statement of complete compensation is great. One year, ONE MF year, my employer did that. i clapped, jumped up and down, cheered our HR department on to do it annually, but nope.

I realize it is some work for them to produce this statement, but it is important to know that many employees do not care or remember how much the organization paid for their health care each year. That, plus other costs of employment, was significant. But that said, each year at open enrollment, the cost-per-employee of the health insurance policy was conveyed to employees, so they had a chance to onow then.

Reynold

• Stubble
« Reply #3429 on: August 01, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »
I realize it is some work for them to produce this statement, but it is important to know that many employees do not care or remember how much the organization paid for their health care each year. That, plus other costs of employment, was significant. But that said, each year at open enrollment, the cost-per-employee of the health insurance policy was conveyed to employees, so they had a chance to know then.

I didn't learn about how much of the premiums companies picked up until a former employer was researching changing providers, and brought a lot of employees deep into the decision process.  I suspect if companies all had to show what their "cost per employee" was to the employees rather than just what they were being paid and withholdings to the government, it would prevent some surprises like that. 

Sadly for purposes of this thread, I don't have many spendy relatives, just a few friends. . .

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3430 on: August 01, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
What?  Wait a sec.   All y'all's pay stubs dont include the company paid portion of your health insurance?  I have been taking this information for granted forever.  As of my last pay check my employer has paid 3457.30$ towards my insurance this year. 
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Warned Member
« Reply #3431 on: August 01, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
What?  Wait a sec.   All y'all's pay stubs dont include the company paid portion of your health insurance?  I have been taking this information for granted forever.  As of my last pay check my employer has paid 3457.30$ towards my insurance this year. 
I've never seen this on any of my of my wife's paychecks, across 6 companies.

I would love it if it were more public. It would incentivize companies to "compensate" employees who choose the HDHP options. They could put more money in the HSAs, to bring it up to par with the compensation of employees on fat cat plans.

fluffmuffin

• Stubble
« Reply #3432 on: August 01, 2017, 04:15:58 PM »
Huh...my pay stubs always have, but then I've always worked for state organizations and I feel like they usually have to provide a higher level of financial openness. My current university gave me a premium of $0 for choosing a lower-level plan with an employer-funded HSA (yup, read that right) and then filling out an online health self-assessment. I think they pay around $300/paycheck for me. But then I definitely have the most basic option they offer.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3433 on: August 01, 2017, 05:09:25 PM »
Huh...my pay stubs always have, but then I've always worked for state organizations and I feel like they usually have to provide a higher level of financial openness. My current university gave me a premium of $0 for choosing a lower-level plan with an employer-funded HSA (yup, read that right) and then filling out an online health self-assessment. I think they pay around $300/paycheck for me. But then I definitely have the most basic option they offer.

I'm pretty sure mine always have as well (non-gov now).

Proud Foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3434 on: August 02, 2017, 11:25:48 AM »

I would love it if it were more public. It would incentivize companies to "compensate" employees who choose the HDHP options. They could put more money in the HSAs, to bring it up to par with the compensation of employees on fat cat plans.

Check your W-2 from last year.  The ACA required employers to report the cost of coverage in Box 12 Code DD. I don't remember seeing it on my paychecks prior to the ACA but it has been on there since that time.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Warned Member
« Reply #3435 on: August 02, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »

Check your W-2 from last year.  The ACA required employers to report the cost of coverage in Box 12 Code DD. I don't remember seeing it on my paychecks prior to the ACA but it has been on there since that time.
Yup, it's on my W-2. But my point still stands: the public doesn't understand taxes, and hiding it on a small box in a form that people blindly enter into turbotax or their accountant doesn't help much.

Proud Foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3436 on: August 02, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »

Yup, it's on my W-2. But my point still stands: the public doesn't understand taxes, and hiding it on a small box in a form that people blindly enter into turbotax or their accountant doesn't help much.

I completely agree with you. I think a lot of people would be a little more grateful for the 15% premium increase* from the prior year if they actually saw how much their employer paid for the insurance, particularly if their increase was smaller than the total increase.
* I am not wanting to open up whether this is actually a reasonable/necessary increase or not.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3437 on: August 02, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »
Our company sent out an email detailing exactly how much it had been increasing for them over the past 3-4 years, and none of it was passed on to the employee. They finally raised our rates this year (less than the increase though).

The annoying thing is that they could easily cover the entire cost and it would barely touch the profits of the company, but our benefits are already very good compared to our competitors so they didn't have to.

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3438 on: August 03, 2017, 10:04:10 AM »

I completely agree with you. I think a lot of people would be a little more grateful for the 15% premium increase* from the prior year if they actually saw how much their employer paid for the insurance, particularly if their increase was smaller than the total increase.
* I am not wanting to open up whether this is actually a reasonable/necessary increase or not.
We have a yearly meeting regarding benefits, so everyone is well aware of what percentage our company pays vs what we pay.  Afterwards, I always hear griping about ObamaCare for a few weeks.  I'm sure in more liberal areas there would be complaints about greedy insurance companies.  If we have to pay more, there will always be someone/something to complain about because of it.

penguintroopers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3439 on: August 05, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »
I did it! I've finally read all of the pages in this thread, from the very beginning. 69 pages of antimustachian hilariousness. I read the gems out loud or forwarded them in an email to my hubby.

I have to say, without a doubt the grandparents who borrowed money to save for the grandchild was the most ludicrous thing in this entire thread. As antimustachian as the new cars, giant houses, and bloated grocery bills are, I can sometimes get them from some people. You gotta eat, go places, and put a roof over you head. Right? Right. (Yes, but not by spending 2-10x more cash than what you actually have to!).

Anyway, I'll contribute my relatives who just don't get it. Last month I got my credit report just to make sure everything was going ok, and because I was curious why my score was a full 50 points lower than my husbands (we can see our "scores" on the bill once per quarter), despite us having nearly identical credit histories. Similar outstanding student loan, and I added him as an account holder to my small CC I got in college for cashback rewards, pretty much the only thing is he isn't on the $300 department store card I haven't used for like 2 years.

Turns out I had a 50% utilization. I nearly spat out my tea because we never keep more than about $200 on the card at any given time. I thought someone had gone on a spending spree and I just now found out about it. Scrolling through I find a card with ~12.6k outstanding on a ~20k limit. I nearly lose it because I don't recognize this card at all, until I see the primary account person is my stepdad. I had forgotten when I studied abroad that my parents added me and gave me the card for emergencies. With no emergencies, when I came back to the states I promptly forget about the card.

But now its sad to think that my parents have had a huge CC bill for at least 2 years now at at least 18% (pretty sure my parents have a high FICO score, but I have no idea how much it actually is. It could be more like 20, 25, or even 29.99% shudders).

All the while they live at an hour away from where they work, commuting back and forth in a (thankfully?) medium sized SUV and carpool. They eat practically every night out because they get home so late (leave work at 6, commute an hour, you get home at 7 hungry with nothing cooked). They don't want to move closer to work because the cost per square foot increases as you move closer to the city, and my mom loves the country and they love the neighborhood they are in. So much so that when they moved, they just moved to the opposite side of the neighborhood because they wanted a single-level home. Thankfully, they talk about it being their retirement home (standard retirement is still another ~15-20 years away).

I also feel bad, because my parents contributed quite a bit to our wedding. I thought their financial picture was a lot better (no CC debt, and at least a couple thousand earmarked as a thankful gift to us for the wedding). Had I known I probably would have asked for less, because our wedding was very nice but there were things we could have trimmed some if needed.

Gronnie

• Stubble
« Reply #3440 on: August 05, 2017, 04:45:08 PM »
snip

Hopefully they are still saving money for retirement and just think carrying some credit card debit is "normal", and that you don't have to support yourself AND them when they retire.

For now, call the card company and ask to be removed as an authorized user on the account and for it to be removed from your report.

penguintroopers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3441 on: August 05, 2017, 07:43:04 PM »
I think they are doing pretty good in that respect. The next posting my score shot up 100 points, so I'm definitely off of it. I'm thinking I'll see a weird decrease because my open credit was cut by like 2/3rds, but I'm ok with that.

The in-laws are the ones we're worried about supporting through their retirement (pretty sure they've saved either $0 or less than $10k), which makes me kind of upset because we know of ways they could cut costs, but choose not to out of sheer laziness and apathy.

I could post more, but am waiting for hubby to give me the ok, since it is his parents.

bob999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3442 on: August 07, 2017, 02:04:13 AM »
I have a relative who just haven't learnt financial literacy and probably never will.

They bought a house and then two brand new cars. The two cars were bought on the same day!! Then bought a block of land that they couldn't afford and within weeks put it up for sale. Then filed for bankruptcy due to over committing and not being able to afford the repayments.

A few years go by and they buy another house and (you guessed it) brand new SUV. This time around the housing market was favourable and the price of their  house went up so they withdrew the equity and blew it on casinos.

Realising they can't afford the loans (again) declared bankruptcy (round 2).

They have been discharged of their bankruptcy recently and (you will not believe it) they have just bought another house and are talking about upgrading their cars and furniture because the house needs 'new' look.

Feivel2000

• Stubble
« Reply #3443 on: August 07, 2017, 02:31:50 AM »
I have a relative who just haven't learnt financial literacy and probably never will.

They bought a house and then two brand new cars. The two cars were bought on the same day!! Then bought a block of land that they couldn't afford and within weeks put it up for sale. Then filed for bankruptcy due to over committing and not being able to afford the repayments.

A few years go by and they buy another house and (you guessed it) brand new SUV. This time around the housing market was favourable and the price of their  house went up so they withdrew the equity and blew it on casinos.

They have been discharged of their bankruptcy recently and (you will not believe it) they have just bought another house and are talking about upgrading their cars and furniture because the house needs 'new' look.
Who is really the stupid in this story? The people living in nice houses, driving new cars and having fun in the casinos? Or the banks?

bob999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3444 on: August 07, 2017, 04:55:53 AM »

Who is really the stupid in this story? The people living in nice houses, driving new cars and having fun in the casinos? Or the banks?

Sometimes I wonder the same thing. My relatives can't believe why anyone would impose not spending money when they can afford it. Their whole purpose to exist is to consume more.

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3445 on: August 07, 2017, 09:26:12 AM »

I bet the banks are charged a huge interest rate on the loans.  These people probably have extremely low credit scores.  They probably are making huge interest on the first 6 months and then taking the house/car back, and overall making money.  Also, sometimes they get to garnish wages after a bankruptcy. 

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3446 on: August 10, 2017, 03:27:45 AM »
I did it! I've finally read all of the pages in this thread, from the very beginning. 69 pages of antimustachian hilariousness. I read the gems out loud or forwarded them in an email to my hubby.

I have to say, without a doubt the grandparents who borrowed money to save for the grandchild was the most ludicrous thing in this entire thread.

You can read more about them here. There is seemingly no end to the horror.

2Cent

• Bristles
« Reply #3447 on: August 10, 2017, 04:07:15 AM »
My future inlaws...

They lost more than 100k to a ponzi scheme many years ago (before I knew them), the leader said he had 'good christian values' so they trusted him.  Now they are involved in a pyramid scheme(life leadership), which couldn't possibly be a scam because it has 'good christian values.  They refuse to see any similarity.  Their kids have all tried to talk them out of this but they refuse to listen.

Recently their business went bankrupt and for whatever reason it wasn't tax shielded, so now they are going bankrupt as well.  Because they have really bad credit history they couldn't get a car loan, so they LEASED a brand new Ford Fusion.  Never mind that they had working cars and could have bought a nicer one with a few months of their lease payments.  They changed their minds and decided they wanted the equity instead so they gave it back(presumably taking whatever penalities as well), and buying a used 2014 Lincoln for 20k! (I can only imagine the terms of this loan...). 

From my understanding this could either completely derail their bankruptcy at worst, get taken back if the court thinks it isn't a reasonable expense, or maybe worst of all, they could agree to keep paying the payments even after they get out of bankruptcy.

I'm scared shitless of having to fund them when they are older.
At least if they hit rock bottom now, they have some time to get used to live on a lower budget which is forced on them by circumstance rather than a limit that you set for their funding.

Feivel2000

• Stubble
« Reply #3448 on: August 10, 2017, 04:15:06 AM »

I have to say, without a doubt the grandparents who borrowed money to save for the grandchild was the most ludicrous thing in this entire thread.

You can read more about them here. There is seemingly no end to the horror.
The link doesn't work for me. Can you name the thread and subforum?

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3449 on: August 10, 2017, 04:44:59 AM »
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/playing-with-fire-is-getting-burned

journals/playing-with-fire-is-getting-burned

Any better?