Author Topic: Relatives who just don't get it  (Read 826496 times)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Relatives who just don't get it
« Reply #2500 on: January 25, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »
So when I was younger my parents didn't have a lot of money. They still managed to pay for my brothers expensive sport. Travel, hotels, expensive equipment. But they had a lot of fun with the other parents so I guess could justify it?  I was always  the tag along.  He had a different set of rules as I was a girl and he was a boy.  Which pretty much meant  he could do what he wanted.

Dollars to donuts this sport is hockey. Even odds you're in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Growing up, my parents' rule was "one activity per kid". Somehow my brother's 3x/week hockey team, plus frequent out-of-town tournaments, was equivalent to either my 1x/week gymnastics class OR my biweekly Girl Scout troop, but I couldn't do both. I spent far more time sitting in the stands of a hockey arena than I ever did on my own activities.

Close but a little more north  :)  You're right about the hockey part.

My wife and I worry what we'll do if our kids don't end up in either Hockey or Figure Skating. We fear that they'll want to play football, or worse, soccer. But yeah, the time commitment is enormous.

wonkette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2501 on: January 25, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »
So when I was younger my parents didn't have a lot of money. They still managed to pay for my brothers expensive sport. Travel, hotels, expensive equipment. But they had a lot of fun with the other parents so I guess could justify it?  I was always  the tag along.  He had a different set of rules as I was a girl and he was a boy.  Which pretty much meant  he could do what he wanted.

Dollars to donuts this sport is hockey. Even odds you're in Minnesota or Wisconsin.

Growing up, my parents' rule was "one activity per kid". Somehow my brother's 3x/week hockey team, plus frequent out-of-town tournaments, was equivalent to either my 1x/week gymnastics class OR my biweekly Girl Scout troop, but I couldn't do both. I spent far more time sitting in the stands of a hockey arena than I ever did on my own activities.

Close but a little more north  :)  You're right about the hockey part.

Silverwood, this was me except I had two brothers in hockey and had to fight my parents for $20 to share a hotel room at my  high school debate tournaments. My parents have very little savings (though there is an inheritance that might save them) and I plan on reminding my brothers of the easily $10k each that was spent on their hockey "educations" when my parents finances reach a breaking point. Solidarity!

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2502 on: January 25, 2017, 01:42:32 PM »
It is sad to read about how many of you had not so good parents. I had great parents and tried to model them in raising my kids.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2503 on: January 25, 2017, 06:42:32 PM »
Nope. He honestly believes that his financial situation is the direct and unavoidable outcome of having children, and not his choices such as:
Quitting perfectly good jobs. Repeatedly.
Investing his time and intellectual capital in get rich quick schemes "businesses" which never went anywhere.
Refusing to change his behaviour to be able to participate in traditional workplaces.
Investing his financial capital in incredibly risky speculative schemes and stocks.
Spending every dollar he earned.

He blew through at least one sizeable inheritance, too.

He thinks his children are "lucky" for having incredibly stable, well paid employment and being more financially stable than average (to varying degrees, but even the spendiest of us is able to save and live below our means). He doesn't see that this is a direct response to his behaviour and our strong desire not to live like that.

It used to upset me, a lot. Now every. single. time. he says anything about how much I cost him to raise, or how you can have a million dollars or kids but you can't have both, or whatever specific bullshit he's peddling that day, I say in a cheerful and joking tone of voice "well if you didn't want me, you should've worn a condom!" and then I change the subject.

Wow, sorry you have a dad like this.  I can understand how it would be very upsetting to hear something like this.  Very good that you and your siblings have learned from it though.

He's a great father in many ways. Just not this one :-)

My siblings are awesome. We've all built happy, stable, successful lives against the odds.

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2504 on: January 26, 2017, 08:03:51 AM »
It is sad to read about how many of you had not so good parents. I had great parents and tried to model them in raising my kids.

That which does not kill you makes you stronger - right?

You take the good examples they give you and do something differently for the things that we not done well.

I am very different from my family and to me that is a plus.

DW and I have raised a couple of kids who have a relationship more like DW's and her parents which is good.

Our little family actually enjoys spending time together - unlike my parents who vacationed to "get away" from it all including leaving us kids at the grandparents' house. That wasn't bad b/c it gave me a break to be in an environment more like a 60s TV family and my kid stress level went to zero. Cookies, field trips, model cars and cookouts.

My parents were just (and continue to be) wound tight - too tight. And they are never, ever wrong - even when they really are... ;) In some ways it can be like listening to Trump with his alternative-truths. As an adult you shrug it off. As a kid you are stuck confused and suffering from self-doubt. We have heard our share of "revisionist history" in the dinner table recollections with my parents. Remember they are never wrong and the self-doubt that can lead to.

All in all at least they weren't helicopter parents and it being the 70s - I basically played outside all day with friends and was due in when it got dark. I had alot of freedom at times though during HS they assumed the worst and I was on a very short leash. Like I said before - I was basically a good kid though. Stayed out of trouble. Some folks talk about HS being their favorite period in their life. For me it was my time overseas and my college years.

For me my relationship with my parents led to a silent vow that I'd never ask for money, seek to live in their house again or rely on them. These days we try to have a good relationship with them and its worked out that we are at arm's length so to speak. We are giving and invite them to our house often but like my sibling they are "so busy" and that is probably for the best.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2505 on: January 26, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »
One of the major regrets in my life is taking so much (money (mostly for education) and living in their house way after 18) from my parents, because not it feels like I "owe" them. The thing I would love to do over in my life is ever living at home again after I started university. My mother's "love language" is gifts, but that's also her transactional "you owe me" language. I went to private school with lots of extras, I barely had to get any student loans, I did a postgrad course while living at home... And I would give it all back in a heartbeat if I could be free of the sense of obligation. I can forgive myself for all the stuff I asked for (and didn't ask for) and got as a child, because children don't know any better. But I wish I'd realised before age about 24 that the money wasn't worth the emotional toll, and that I'd been brave enough to do something about it. If you have parents who don't make love or gifts conditional, I hope you are grateful for them every single day of your life.

Silverwood

• Stubble
« Reply #2506 on: January 26, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »
Like tasty pinecone said,  you take the good with the bad. I can feel really good at how far I've come on my own and it's made me who i am.  My parents and I have a great relationship now that I'm older and haven't lived with them for over 10 years. I've accepted them for them ( still a work in progress). They didn't have it easy either.   It's interesting because I can trace back why they act certain ways through my grandparents and great grandparents.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #2507 on: January 26, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
My wife and I worry what we'll do if our kids don't end up in either Hockey or Figure Skating. We fear that they'll want to play football, or worse, soccer. But yeah, the time commitment is enormous.
I don't understand the stigma of preventing your kids from playing a very mustachian sport. Wow!
'Murica, yeah!
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2508 on: January 26, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
I don't understand the stigma of preventing your kids from playing a very mustachian sport. Wow!
'Murica, yeah!

We both hate soccer. Hated playing it, and hate watching it. Maybe if I could see it live on primetime I'd care, but it bores me to death--it is worse to watch than baseball or golf, and I enjoy watching both of those.

As it is, we both enjoy golf, baseball, hockey, figure skating, lacrosse, fishing, tennis, volleyball, and basketball... And only hockey and figure skating are really unmustachian from those (although any can be made to be unmustachian).

We just can't stand soccer.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2509 on: January 26, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »
it is worse to watch than baseball or golf, and I enjoy watching both of those.

Not to defend soccer, but if you're comparing it to two things you enjoy watching, of course it will be "worse to watch."

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2510 on: January 26, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »

Not to defend soccer, but if you're comparing it to two things you enjoy watching, of course it will be "worse to watch."

That doesn't detract from my point. I can't stand watching soccer. I don't want to have to watch it, and if my kid plays it, I'll have to watch it.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2511 on: January 26, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »
'Murica, yeah!

We both hate soccer. Hated playing it, and hate watching it. Maybe if I could see it live on primetime I'd care, but it bores me to death--it is worse to watch than baseball or golf, and I enjoy watching both of those.

As it is, we both enjoy golf, baseball, hockey, figure skating, lacrosse, fishing, tennis, volleyball, and basketball... And only hockey and figure skating are really unmustachian from those (although any can be made to be unmustachian).

Just think of it as slow, boring hockey for countries that don't have ice.

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2512 on: January 26, 2017, 02:52:30 PM »
Apt Description.  Hockey, soccer, basketball, water polo, handball, field hockey, lacrosse - all variations of the same fundamental game of "put a special object into the other team's receptacle".
Link to my journal, so I can find it quickly - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/dandarc's-journal/

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2513 on: January 26, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »
At least it keeps moving. That is vastly more entertaining than American football where you mostly watch fat man-boys in tights wander around on the sidelines waiting for a play to start. The action is over in 5 seconds and then we are back to commercials or spandex butt shots.
"It'll be great!"

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2514 on: January 26, 2017, 03:15:45 PM »
At least it keeps moving. That is vastly more entertaining than American football where you mostly watch fat man-boys in tights wander around on the sidelines waiting for a play to start. The action is over in 5 seconds and then we are back to commercials or spandex butt shots.

Fixate much?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2515 on: January 26, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2516 on: January 26, 2017, 04:53:04 PM »
Apt Description.  Hockey, soccer, basketball, water polo, handball, field hockey, lacrosse - all variations of the same fundamental game of "put a special object into the other team's receptacle".

oh, laughing so much right now.   I can think of another game that description fits, too!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2517 on: January 26, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »

oh, laughing so much right now.   I can think of another game that description fits, too!
Sex?
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2518 on: January 27, 2017, 06:27:42 AM »

That doesn't detract from my point. I can't stand watching soccer. I don't want to have to watch it, and if my kid plays it, I'll have to watch it.
True.
I grew up playing soccer, rugby and field hockey. I still play when I can.

I can't stand to watch soccer anymore since I like to use my time effectively. For me, sports is about playing, not glued to the screen. I love NCAA Football, can't stand the NFL primadonna soap operas. But honestly, for any sport with commercials, I can't watch more than a few minutes. I'm lucky I have a local NHL team and my alma mater is local too, for both the cheap tickets fix my itch.

My comeuppance is on the way soon, kids will* start playing it. My only 'hope and change' is that my girls continue with gymnastics. I will feel your pain. For all the bitchin' I do about why America hates soccer, if you can't beat 'em, then join 'em. I'm not going to coach, not going to be soccer dad. I'll be working out on the sidelines or working on my side business.

I think my problem for watching TV is that I hardly watch anything. If I do, it may be any of 8 local PBS channels. If not that, then recorded TV which is stripped of commercials. Otherwise, it's movies.

*Because ze wife wants the kids to. Because fuck democracy in the house.

/rant
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:32:10 AM by jinga nation »
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2519 on: January 27, 2017, 06:28:55 AM »

Sex?
I believe Bedroom GolfTM is the technical sporting term.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #2520 on: January 27, 2017, 06:58:29 AM »

Sex?
I read this as "boredom golf" at first. I guess that applies too ...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:12:43 AM by JordanOfGilead »

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2521 on: January 27, 2017, 07:44:01 AM »
Like tasty pinecone said,  you take the good with the bad. I can feel really good at how far I've come on my own and it's made me who i am.  My parents and I have a great relationship now that I'm older and haven't lived with them for over 10 years. I've accepted them for them ( still a work in progress). They didn't have it easy either.   It's interesting because I can trace back why they act certain ways through my grandparents and great grandparents.

Exactly. One set of grandparents were very much Mayberry RFD and the other set were very much a mess. I can see that mess in my one parent who was their child. The other parent - I don't think they really appreciate how laid back their Mayberry RFD parents were. I recognize that those grandparents were probably TOO laid back in some ways but my parent (their child) had a really, really easy time with them on most topics.

Tasty Pinecones

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2522 on: January 27, 2017, 07:58:52 AM »

That describes what we call egg-ball or carry-ball or tackle-ball - perfectly. :)

I've seen some good football games in my time but they take a long time. Works best with friends, food and beer as part of the experience.

We've played and watched alot of soccer. The game MOVES like basketball. It also benefits from food, friends and beer.

I guess most things do... except "bedroom Golf"... Okay - it might for some people... ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:02:37 AM by Tasty Pinecones »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2523 on: January 27, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »

Sex?

Not to be confused with Pocket PoolTM.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2524 on: January 27, 2017, 11:47:17 AM »

Sex?

Master Bates is an expert at that sport.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #2525 on: January 27, 2017, 06:40:53 PM »

Sex?

Master Bates is an expert at that sport.

I thought he was the fishing expert.
FIRE'd on January 4, 2017

AMandM

• Bristles
« Reply #2526 on: January 27, 2017, 08:01:27 PM »
If you have parents who don't make love or gifts conditional, I hope you are grateful for them every single day of your life.

My parents and my in-laws are both like this.  Thanks for the reminder to appreciate them, SLTD.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2527 on: January 27, 2017, 08:10:59 PM »
'Murica, yeah!

Ug. Hockey is a slow, boring thing to watch anyway. The fact that it's freezing cold only amplifies the argument that there are better things to do with one's time.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2528 on: January 27, 2017, 08:41:42 PM »
'Murica, yeah!

Ug. Hockey is a slow, boring thing to watch anyway. The fact that it's freezing cold only amplifies the argument that there are better things to do with one's time.

Have you been to a hockey game? I felt similarly until I went to my first match.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #2529 on: January 27, 2017, 10:50:04 PM »
Have you been to a hockey game? I felt similarly until I went to my first match.

Several at the college/high school level. The over-priced beer didn't make up for the downsides.

I've found I much prefer to watch sports on television - none of the down time, you're much closer to the action, the bathrooms are cleaner and the booze is cheaper.  Even on television hockey is pretty meh.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2530 on: January 30, 2017, 02:16:44 AM »

I've found I much prefer to watch sports on television - none of the down time, you're much closer to the action, the bathrooms are cleaner and the booze is cheaper.  Even on television hockey is pretty meh.

I feel similar about cinema's. At home you can get cheap drinks and take a sanitary break when you need it. And you don't have to travel back and forth and pay for a parking ticket, which is in my town not free at night. And you don't hear people around you crunching popcorn. Buying a DVD on sale is also the same as the price of 1 single cinema ticket.

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2531 on: January 30, 2017, 05:51:14 AM »

Except in hockey and soccer, you don't get to, "put that special object into the other team's receptacle". very often.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2532 on: January 30, 2017, 07:57:54 AM »
'Murica, yeah!

If hockey is slow, what is fast?

Sincerely curious. I guess you could say Tennis or Jai Lai in terms of terminal velocity of an object, but in terms of your "normal" team sports I don't think there is anything faster than hockey--shots are approaching 110; skaters as fast as 20mph, constantly moving the whole time....

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2533 on: January 30, 2017, 08:31:24 AM »

Except in hockey and soccer, you don't get to, "put that special object into the other team's receptacle". very often.
Makes it all the more special when it does happen.
Link to my journal, so I can find it quickly - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/dandarc's-journal/

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #2534 on: January 30, 2017, 11:15:31 AM »

Makes it all the more special when it does happen.

Yeah, that argument has never made much sense to me. Really, just multiple the goals by 7 if you want to be more like football.  And don't even bother with basketball, you can skip the first three quarters because they usually don't matter.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2535 on: January 30, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »
Couldn't you just hack that on/off switch? Arduino, little stepper motor to actuate the switch, a little programming, and boom - you have a programmable thermostat with no internal changes... ;)

Just make sure your program has hysteresis - otherwise you'll go on-off-on-off-on-off and burn out some expensive equipment.
Can you not just install a programmable thermostat? They're not that expensive. Tape it to the wall with that Command stuff if you want to remove it when you leave. Am I missing something? The payback in comfort alone could be huge, not to mention actual green soldiers saved.
I did it! I have a journal!
A Lot Like This
And hell yes, I am still moving confidently in the direction of my dreams...

Step37

• Stubble
« Reply #2536 on: January 31, 2017, 11:36:31 PM »
My sister does not have the mustachian gene. Until last week's visit, I was (blissfully) unaware that it was possible to purchase individually plastic-wrapped potatoes for $1 each. *cringe*
"Not wanting something is as good as possessing it." ~Donald Horban

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2537 on: February 01, 2017, 12:19:37 AM »
My sister does not have the mustachian gene. Until last week's visit, I was (blissfully) unaware that it was possible to purchase individually plastic-wrapped potatoes for $1 each. *cringe*

Why are they wrapped? 

They can get moldy that way, the wrap is clear so it isn't about greening...  it can't be about people handling them and then eating them as is (why I see wrapped apples at the airport) because you cook them. 

If you cook them in that wrap, the baked potatoes would turn out poorly... even in microwave...

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2538 on: February 01, 2017, 01:31:56 AM »

Does she not know that ten-pound bags are like $3? Did you inform her?

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2539 on: February 01, 2017, 03:06:32 AM »

Why are they wrapped? 

They are probably wrapped for the same reason that peppers, squash and cauliflower are wrapped, to prevent then from people's hands and bacteria. Those vegetables didn't use to be wrapped when I was young and when we bought vegetables at the vegetable store. But now most vegetables are wrapped in plastic. In Norway the big baking-potatoes are sometimes sold while wrapped in silver foil. That way you can put them on the barbecue in the wrapping.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2540 on: February 01, 2017, 05:48:30 AM »

Why are they wrapped? 
It has nothing to do with hygeine or anything like that.  It's there so that you can put a label and a price tag on an individual potato.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2541 on: February 01, 2017, 07:31:11 AM »

Why are they wrapped? 
It has nothing to do with hygeine or anything like that.  It's there so that you can put a label and a price tag on an individual potato.
Because.
Seriously, because people will buy.
How many ways can you sell a potato?
It's like the Arm & Hammer Baking Soda example that we studied in a college class.

Silverwood

• Stubble
« Reply #2542 on: February 01, 2017, 07:56:54 AM »
What's the baking soda example?

I hate plastic on food. When you start realizing how much plastic is being used it's mind boggling. So much of it ends up in the ocean.  :( 

threefive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2543 on: February 01, 2017, 07:57:16 AM »

Why are they wrapped? 

I have actually bought a few of those wrapped potatoes in the past [ducks face punch]. They are marketed as being wrapped in plastic so that you can throw them in the microwave, plastic and all, and easily steam them in 8 minutes. But really, they are wrapped individually for exactly the reasons zolotiyeruki claims: a place for a label and the promise of convenience for those of us that never learned you can just as easily cook any potato in the microwave in about 8 minutes without silly plastic wrap.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2544 on: February 01, 2017, 09:49:53 AM »

Why are they wrapped? 

I have actually bought a few of those wrapped potatoes in the past [ducks face punch]. They are marketed as being wrapped in plastic so that you can throw them in the microwave, plastic and all, and easily steam them in 8 minutes. But really, they are wrapped individually for exactly the reasons zolotiyeruki claims: a place for a label and the promise of convenience for those of us that never learned you can just as easily cook any potato in the microwave in about 8 minutes without silly plastic wrap.

Plus sometimes you really just need a single potato. I can understand why grocery stores will charge insane amounts for small servings, I remember seeing in the summer that they were selling 1/4 watermelon cut for the same price as a whole watermelon, obviously trying to make some money off the lazy or people in a hurry to a BBQ and look for something healthy to bring.

Also, what's the baking soda example?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2545 on: February 01, 2017, 09:53:15 AM »

Why are they wrapped? 

Plus sometimes you really just need a single potato. I can understand why grocery stores will charge insane amounts for small servings, I remember seeing in the summer that they were selling 1/4 watermelon cut for the same price as a whole watermelon, obviously trying to make some money off the lazy or people in a hurry to a BBQ and look for something healthy to bring.

Thats the same reason I buy 1/2 gallons of milk--I no longer drink even the whole half gallon; even though it is a "worse deal" than the full gallon, I'm still throwing some away so I should buy the cheaper one.

The Potato one though, you can usually buy loose potatoes and they'll weigh them for you. They cost like $0.50 a pound. A single potato is about $0.25.

cheapass

• Bristles
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #2546 on: February 01, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »
They are marketed as being wrapped in plastic so that you can throw them in the microwave, plastic and all, and easily steam them in 8 minutes.

I'm pretty sure microwaving food in cheap plastic is probably not the best thing to do from an "avoiding cancer" standpoint.
Every single decision you make with money either shortens or lengthens your working career.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2547 on: February 01, 2017, 10:51:37 AM »

Why are they wrapped? 

They are probably wrapped for the same reason that peppers, squash and cauliflower are wrapped, to prevent then from people's hands and bacteria. Those vegetables didn't use to be wrapped when I was young and when we bought vegetables at the vegetable store. But now most vegetables are wrapped in plastic. In Norway the big baking-potatoes are sometimes sold while wrapped in silver foil. That way you can put them on the barbecue in the wrapping.

But. but. but.  People don't eat raw potatoes, do they?   

They came from the GROUND...  lots of native bacteria there... which is why we wash and / or cook?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2548 on: February 01, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Not sure if serious? We eat raw carrots...

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2549 on: February 01, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »
Not sure if serious? We eat raw carrots...

But do you eat raw POTATOES?!