Author Topic: Person with $200k+ net annual income says NYC is too expensive  (Read 2682 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
She's not wrong in that it is expensive, but I can't quite wrap my head around pulling $17k/mo post-tax and a down payment being such an obstacle.

https://fortune.com/2023/05/01/real-estate-housing-market-37-year-old-rethinks-new-york-after-rent-spikes/

Archive.is link:  https://archive.is/r0COb

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Person with $200k+ net annual income says NYC is too expensive
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 08:59:40 AM »
Paywall.  Can you explain the $17k comment since 200k isn’t even $17k per month.

But I also agree as a former New York City resident (although I lived in Queens) and now a SF area resident making most likely less than her it’s not hard financial to do so as many portray, one does have to make trade offs though.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 09:58:28 AM »
Paywall.  Can you explain the $17k comment since 200k isn’t even $17k per month.

But I also agree as a former New York City resident (although I lived in Queens) and now a SF area resident making most likely less than her it’s not hard financial to do so as many portray, one does have to make trade offs though.

I provided an archive.is link which is not paywalled. Did you try it?

Ref: a mathematical explanation, sure:

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 10:24:12 AM »
Let's see, you take home $200k after taxes, and your rent is going up to $5,500/mo, which comes out to $66,000, leaving you with a measly $134,000 to cover all your other expenses.  For a single person.  Oh, you poor thing!

Seriously, what are you spending all of that money on, that you can't save up for a down payment!?  Ex housing, our family of eight spends half as much as this single woman does.

It would be endlessly entertaining IMO to take a look at her credit card statement.  $367/day on daily expenses seems like a LOT.  I wonder how often she eats out?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 11:05:30 AM »
She refuses to go “backwards” in terms of her living situation, as her level of happiness affects her productivity.

Sounds like she's doomed to be unhappy until she finds an equally enumerated partner.

Reminds me of the "Fleishman Is in Trouble" NYC women. Facing impossible housing prices, they move to the 'burbs and forever dream of living in the city.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 01:16:50 PM by bacchi »

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 11:30:47 AM »
she refuses to go “backwards” in terms of her living situation, as her level of happiness  consumption affects her productivity.

FTFH

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 12:00:59 PM »
Sounds like she's doomed to be unhappy until she finds an equally enumeratedremunerated partner.
FTFY?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 12:31:26 PM »
30-something NYC single lady living the NYC life, says she can't afford to rent a $5500/mo 1-bed apartment in TriBeCa, while collecting $200k annual net income.

Consuma Sucka Red Alert! This is face-punch-worthy, metaphorically, just in case someone new doesn't understand the MMM concept.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 01:16:33 PM »
Sounds like she's doomed to be unhappy until she finds an equally enumeratedremunerated partner.
FTFY?

Yes, thanks.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 01:32:10 PM »
Sounds like she's doomed to be unhappy until she finds an equally enumerated remunerated partner.
FTFY?!

FTFY

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2023, 09:51:39 PM »

I provided an archive.is link which is not paywalled. Did you try it?

Ref: a mathematical explanation, sure:

Didn’t see the second link.

I also question where is the rest of her money going.  She could have that con payment in 3 years assuming she was starting from nothing.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2023, 10:21:24 PM »
30-something NYC single lady living the NYC life, says she can't afford to rent a $5500/mo 1-bed apartment in TriBeCa, while collecting $200k annual net income.

LOL. Tribeca is the most expensive neighborhood in NYC, where a lot of celebrities live. (And I mean A-listers with taste, like Taylor Swift, Beyonce, etc.) Even my friends who are multimillionaires don't live there.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 06:56:51 AM »

LOL. Tribeca is the most expensive neighborhood in NYC, where a lot of celebrities live. (And I mean A-listers with taste, like Taylor Swift, Beyonce, etc.) Even my friends who are multimillionaires don't live there.

Maybe some correlation between the two... (not living there and being multimillionaires).

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 09:56:04 PM »
Someone should invite her to come here and post a Case Study. What the article doesn't say is what she's spending money on. I guess it's harder to cut back some things (eating out all the time, drinks with friends - these probably cost her $50k/year) to save for a down payment than to complain that everything is expensive.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2023, 09:19:56 PM »
Someone should invite her to come here and post a Case Study. What the article doesn't say is what she's spending money on. I guess it's harder to cut back some things (eating out all the time, drinks with friends - these probably cost her $50k/year) to save for a down payment than to complain that everything is expensive.

I remember meeting up with a friend after work. I ordered a seltzer and it was $6.00 (2013 dollars).

A few years later a headhunter called to ask if I'd want a job in the city. I told him that unless he had jobs that would put me in a 3-bedroom apartment within walking distance from the office, I wasn't. I mean, there's no glamor in being in the city to me when it means 20 hours of needless commuting each week.