Author Topic: Pay someone $168 to cut your jeans  (Read 4084 times)

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Pay someone $168 to cut your jeans
« on: May 02, 2018, 05:24:16 AM »
So this new fashion trend is kind of expensive:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/style/outrageous-extreme-cut-out-jeans-go-on-sale-for-dollar168/ar-AAwAmfm?ocid=spartandhp

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new (or used) pair of jeans, and then with something sharp, cut away most of the material? If you know how to sew, etc, you might even find another use for the material. Does anyone want a denim bag?

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Pay someone $168 to cut your jeans
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05:31:00 AM »
Good Lord. Anybody could do that themselves. (But why would you want to? So ugly.)

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »
These people seem confused about the function of 'pants'. 

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 12:01:25 PM »
The pockets (seeing the inside flaps) are pretty funny looking.

Fashion often rarely makes any kind of sense.

To those that are curious/interested, but on a budget, feel free to conatc me.

I can hook you up with very similar looking versions for only $100!  I accept all CC types via Paypal.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 11:56:07 AM »
I see an awesome side hustle here. Buy jeans at goodwill for $7, slice them up, resell for $100.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »
Figures - someone finally puts a useful set of front pockets on a pair of women's jeans...and then makes everything else about the jeans useless!

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »
It's worth it for the bizarre tan lines alone

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:41:40 PM »
Figures - someone finally puts a useful set of front pockets on a pair of women's jeans...and then makes everything else about the jeans useless!

Best laugh of the day.
So true. *shakes head sadly*

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »

Best laugh of the day.

Women's clothing is supposed to be useless, impractical, and overpriced. Not a rule I made, not one I particularly like, but an example of human stupidity.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 09:38:37 AM »

Best laugh of the day.

Women's clothing is supposed to be useless, impractical, and overpriced. Not a rule I made, not one I particularly like, but an example of human stupidity.

So true, which is why I garden in men's work pants.  So much stronger, and pockets that are functional.

useless, impractical, and overpriced - I laughed when I read John T. Malloy's book about clothing for women (one of his Dress for Success books).  He was so shocked when he compared equivalent men's and women's clothing, and the women's was invariably more expensive, more poorly made, and less functional, even for sport clothes.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »

Best laugh of the day.

So true, which is why I garden in men's work pants.  So much stronger, and pockets that are functional.

useless, impractical, and overpriced - I laughed when I read John T. Malloy's book about clothing for women (one of his Dress for Success books).  He was so shocked when he compared equivalent men's and women's clothing, and the women's was invariably more expensive, more poorly made, and less functional, even for sport clothes.

Also, the less the material, the higher the price. Inverse law of ladies' threads.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 10:20:19 PM »
A friend of mine tore up his jeans pretty good roofing - he caught the rear on some staples in the roof.

I was telling him he should sell the destroyed pair for $100 as "stylishly worn" and buy himself 5 new pairs...

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 08:06:59 PM »
I don't know how much these cost, but probably more than $168, and it would be difficult to wear these anywhere (unless the wearer is a celebrity). They actually mentioned the 168 dollar jeans in the story. Link: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/whats-hot/are-dental-floss-jeans-the-new-trend-this-sold-out-style-might-be-proof/ar-AAx3yP9?ocid=spartandhp

I don't think you could make a pair of those jeans with just scissors either, so good... value?

I have to stop reading MSN. Lots of ridiculous stories there.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 09:54:01 PM »
I don't know how much these cost, but probably more than $168, and it would be difficult to wear these anywhere (unless the wearer is a celebrity). They actually mentioned the 168 dollar jeans in the story. Link: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/whats-hot/are-dental-floss-jeans-the-new-trend-this-sold-out-style-might-be-proof/ar-AAx3yP9?ocid=spartandhp

I don't think you could make a pair of those jeans with just scissors either, so good... value?

WTF. Those look painful (and beyond tacky).

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 10:56:36 PM »

OMG!  And I thought I'd seen it all.  I really hope that the dental floss jeans don't catch on.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 09:11:17 AM »

OMG!  And I thought I'd seen it all.  I really hope that the dental floss jeans don't catch on.

Maybe we should hope that they do. I'm thinking a pair of heavy-duty fabric shears, some denim rivets and a punch, a big spool of nylon cord, and a supply of thrift store jeans would put me in business.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »
Until someone actually sees these on someone (not an instagram "influencer), they aren't a trend. They are a brand creating noise in social media to get advertising for themselves.

Fashion has always been about absurd things.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »
I asked my warehouse manager about that and why people didn't just buy new jeans and cut out their own holes. He mentioned that he thinks the holes are strategically designed and that if you cut your own it could ruin the pants. He's a 60 year old guy that chain smokes and wears shirts that I suspected thrift stores were throwing out so I had to laugh at his reasoned explanation of the current trend.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!