Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 508036 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #400 on: May 01, 2017, 11:04:19 AM »
I'm with Spork. WHATEVER WORKS when it comes to getting babies their rest (and their momma's some ear rest too).

While I generally agree with this, I think the criticism is really on the financed SUV. That, and/or trying *any* lower cost alternative to that wasteful habit.

(Thanks zolotiyeruki for the dryer idea. We try not to use our dryer too often, but I'll save the next dryer washload for an evening and see if I can sync those 2 things up)

The electrical usage should be a lot less without the heating options on but you would still get the same vibration/noise.  With the different plug/voltage you cant use a normal watt meter to compare but some google-foo might answer it easy enough.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: May 02, 2017, 09:27:56 PM »
The electrical usage should be a lot less without the heating options on but you would still get the same vibration/noise.  With the different plug/voltage you cant use a normal watt meter to compare but some google-foo might answer it easy enough.

Exactly. I havent looked it up but it seems common sense that it would be a lower operating cost than driving a car around. And to be honest, safer too.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #402 on: May 03, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »
When I returned home from my bike ride yesterday afternoon (yea me!) I saw what looked like some kind of Christmas decoration in the yard of the new neighbors on the corner of my street. It was some kind of flashing bright white light, quite visible even at 6 p.m. on a bright May day, surrounded by mist. I got closer and realized it is a "sprinkler" with a bright LED light. A couple of details to make this even more ridiculous: 1. This is Houston, which averages around 44 inches of rain each year, making it a borderline tropical rain forest. 2. We just got some rain in the last few days. 3. Heavy rain is forecast for today (we already had a couple of small downpours). I water my grass about once every five years. 4. This "sprinkler" tosses the water in the air, turning much of it to mist which is carried away in the wind.  They must be thinking, "how can I dispose of more natural resources faster?"  Naturally, a giant new pickup sits on the street in front of the house despite the three-car attached garage--likely full of more vehicles.

Another house in our neighborhood parks three pickups, a large SUV and a VW Beetle in their drive (actually, they have taken to parking one of the trucks on the vacant lot next door--classy). Who the fuck needs that much hauling capacity??

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #403 on: May 03, 2017, 02:11:32 PM »
... Naturally, a giant new pickup sits on the street in front of the house despite the three-car attached garage--likely full of more vehicles.

Another house in our neighborhood parks three pickups, a large SUV and a VW Beetle in their drive (actually, they have taken to parking one of the trucks on the vacant lot next door--classy). Who the fuck needs that much hauling capacity??
How long have you lived in Houston?  I was there for 6 years.  Given the typical lack of storage space, it's more likely that their garage is filled with "stuff."  Ours wasn't--one bay was for the car, the other functioned as my shop along with bikes/lawn mowers/etc.  But I have a couple brothers who almost never parked their cars in the garage because it was full of the kind of stuff that you'd put in a basement if you lived further north.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #404 on: May 03, 2017, 02:46:15 PM »
On Nextdoor one of my neighbors just listed a Chanel purse for sale.  Never been used.  She says it retails for $3000 and wants someone to buy it from her for $2000.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #405 on: May 03, 2017, 04:14:32 PM »

Sounds like my inlaw's neighbors. They bought a place in a zero lot line type development. Driveway is barely long enough for two modest vehicles end to end. Neighbor had four expensive 4WD vehicles parked all over - street, garage, driveway, etc. Often had visitors too with more 4WDs and muscle cars.

They just don't physically fit in the neighborhood. I hear that now just a year after buying the place they are looking for something else. Nice folks, just needs 2 acres of parking.

accountingteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #406 on: May 05, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »
It really depends on the home and the neighborhood.  I say that sitting in my home that was once on the site of another home.  Some might say it's too big for my 40x110ft lot.  But at least my town is building things of "normal size."  600 sq ft ranches are being replaced with 1500-2000 sq ft 2 stories.  Some of the ranches are having their roofs torn off and the base taken down to the studs with a 2nd floor added on but a lot of that has to do with if the foundation is still ok and many aren't.  When they are getting renovated things such as energy efficient windows, heaters and insulation are added.  The 600 sq ft house would likely have been enough for me but I'm happy with my mini McMansion.

Responding to follow.  Also wondering if there is an agreed upon list of criteria for what constitutes a McMansion.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #407 on: May 05, 2017, 11:46:26 PM »
It really depends on the home and the neighborhood.  I say that sitting in my home that was once on the site of another home.  Some might say it's too big for my 40x110ft lot.  But at least my town is building things of "normal size."  600 sq ft ranches are being replaced with 1500-2000 sq ft 2 stories.  Some of the ranches are having their roofs torn off and the base taken down to the studs with a 2nd floor added on but a lot of that has to do with if the foundation is still ok and many aren't.  When they are getting renovated things such as energy efficient windows, heaters and insulation are added.  The 600 sq ft house would likely have been enough for me but I'm happy with my mini McMansion.

Responding to follow.  Also wondering if there is an agreed upon list of criteria for what constitutes a McMansion.

Yes! http://www.mcmansionhell.com/101

accountingteacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #408 on: May 06, 2017, 04:37:49 PM »
Quote from: accountingteacher link=topic=64578.msg1541812#msg1541812   Also wondering if there is an agreed upon list of criteria for what constitutes a McMansion.
[/quote
Yes! http://www.mcmansionhell.com/101

Well that's a relief.  There are definitely McMansions in my neighbourhood but I don't, apparently, live in one. 

I'm not sure that an attached double garage is so unreasonable, as long as they're used for cars and not crap.  Not having to scrape my windshield or warm up the car in the winter saves me at least 20 minutes in the morning, and (according to my dad) extends the life of the vehicles (currently 8 & 9 years, 120,000 & 160,000 km.)  It's actually the main reason we moved from our 1 garage townhouse.

We've been shocked though (and annoyed) by the # of neighbours who park 3-4 cars per family on the road because their garages are stuffed and their driveways are for hockey and basketball nets even though the houses all back on to a huge municipal park.  I don't get how someone thinks their default parking spot should be directly in front of my house. Sometimes I park there just to make a point.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #409 on: May 08, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
No fence because apartment building, but still antiMustachian. Walked out to see that the neighbor two doors down had a TideSpin (laundry service) bag outside her door. I won't say I haven't considered it myself because I hate laundry (especially folding), but I don't think I'd actually pay somebody to do my laundry and deliver it.

I would have some sympathy if she was a single mom or something, but there's only one family with kids on my floor, and it isn't hers. I don't know maybe she has an injury or something? (We have a drycleaning service in our building, so that's not the reason.)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #410 on: May 08, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »
No fence because apartment building, but still antiMustachian. Walked out to see that the neighbor two doors down had a TideSpin (laundry service) bag outside her door. I won't say I haven't considered it myself because I hate laundry (especially folding), but I don't think I'd actually pay somebody to do my laundry and deliver it.

I would have some sympathy if she was a single mom or something, but there's only one family with kids on my floor, and it isn't hers. I don't know maybe she has an injury or something? (We have a drycleaning service in our building, so that's not the reason.)

She could have an invisible disability (there are certain things I cannot do for myself, but you'd never know from looking at me).

But it's much more likely she's just engaging in antimustachian behaviour :-P

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: May 08, 2017, 07:55:37 PM »

She could have an invisible disability (there are certain things I cannot do for myself, but you'd never know from looking at me).

But it's much more likely she's just engaging in antimustachian behaviour :-P
She could have a visible disability! I've never seen her. But I've been trying to be better about giving people the benefit of the doubt when I encounter "stupid" behavior instead of jumping straight to judge mode.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: May 09, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »

When I lived in NYC, I dropped my clothes off at the laundry mat and had them wash and fold.  The $5 or so premium every other week vs spending 2 hours there myself was worth it.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #413 on: May 10, 2017, 05:49:09 AM »
I happened to be "stalking" my neighbor behind my house.  His house is for sale and mine is about to be.  We both have houses approximately the same size built by the same builder.  Trying to figure out how realistic his price is.

The Antimustacian part. 

I mention I'm being transferred to another city. 

He has gotten a promotion so is going to move to a much more expensive suburb.  So he's moving just to pay more for a house.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2017, 03:18:13 PM »
When I returned home from my bike ride yesterday afternoon (yea me!) I saw what looked like some kind of Christmas decoration in the yard of the new neighbors on the corner of my street. It was some kind of flashing bright white light, quite visible even at 6 p.m. on a bright May day, surrounded by mist. I got closer and realized it is a "sprinkler" with a bright LED light. A couple of details to make this even more ridiculous: 1. This is Houston, which averages around 44 inches of rain each year, making it a borderline tropical rain forest. 2. We just got some rain in the last few days. 3. Heavy rain is forecast for today (we already had a couple of small downpours). I water my grass about once every five years. 4. This "sprinkler" tosses the water in the air, turning much of it to mist which is carried away in the wind.  They must be thinking, "how can I dispose of more natural resources faster?"  Naturally, a giant new pickup sits on the street in front of the house despite the three-car attached garage--likely full of more vehicles.

OK, this is a pretty late response, but if your area really gets that much rainfall, how does using the sprinkler really waste resources?  Wouldn't your reservoirs all be full and running off into the ocean?

I don't get the LED though.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #415 on: May 18, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »
^I think the point is that with all that rainfall, the grass shouldn't need that much watering.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #416 on: May 18, 2017, 07:27:52 PM »
OK, this is a pretty late response, but if your area really gets that much rainfall, how does using the sprinkler really waste resources?  Wouldn't your reservoirs all be full and running off into the ocean?
Some flat areas don't have reservoirs (see the Midwest and Southeast US).

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #417 on: May 18, 2017, 08:01:54 PM »

I don't get the LED though.

Waste of the energy and effort to purify that water to drinking standards and pump it to the location, even if you had an infinite reservoir.

In this particular case, Houston is thirsty enough that a significant fraction of their drinking water was "previously owned" (Heh. Flush!) by someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_River_(Texas)#/media/File:Trinity_Watershed.png

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: May 19, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »
I think it's a toy for kids to play with.  I could understand an LED for that...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #419 on: May 19, 2017, 11:59:38 AM »
Some flat areas don't have reservoirs (see the Midwest and Southeast US).

Waste of the energy and effort to purify that water to drinking standards and pump it to the location, even if you had an infinite reservoir.

In this particular case, Houston is thirsty enough that a significant fraction of their drinking water was "previously owned" (Heh. Flush!) by someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_River_(Texas)#/media/File:Trinity_Watershed.png

Eww. So you guys drink ....

Around here we only drink the finest melted sierra snowpack.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #420 on: May 19, 2017, 02:09:51 PM »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #421 on: May 19, 2017, 02:39:39 PM »

Around here we only drink the finest melted sierra snowpack.

Uh huh.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/world/from-toilet-to-tap-water/

That would be a relevant article if I lived in Orange County

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: May 20, 2017, 06:49:13 AM »
^excellent reference DragonCar. From that, I'm pretty sure we know the solution is to get rid of the sprinkler altogether and just spray them with Brawndo- it's what plants crave!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #423 on: May 20, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
^excellent reference DragonCar. From that, I'm pretty sure we know the solution is to get rid of the sprinkler altogether and just spray them with Brawndo- it's what plants crave!

Only way to mutilate their thirst!

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #424 on: July 04, 2017, 08:37:56 PM »
My neighbor, who is on welfare disability (for something physical) did something crazy again. He caught up to his rent (after taking legal action against the bank), then fell behind a month because he had ignored at least three Hydro bills. They took money out of his new bank account. It's possible they sued him.

My building is rent-controlled and the tenants want to raise rent more than the guidelines. They do this every year. To be fair they have expenses, and a lot of neighbors are acting paranoid. They say they deliberately paid for expensive services so they could boost the rent, which makes little sense, since they don't get to keep any of that extra money. Unless they're in cahoots, but there's no proof.

Many building residents are seniors on "fixed income" or welfare. Normal rate increases keep pace with seniors' fixed income but outpaces that of those on welfare. Above-rate increases, of course, make it harder even on seniors. The buildings are old and need lots of maintenance (which naturally neighbors complain they aren't getting). There are legitimate complaints on both sides.

Some of my neighbors are participating in a rent strike. A lawyer has been telling them they can get away with not paying rent for three months, even if they get an eviction notice. Ontario rules are so tenant-favored that this advice might be accurate (though not "good advice"). The landlord promised not to punish the rent strikers, which I'm sure will bite them in the rear because some of their tenants will spend the money rather than save it.

So my irresponsible neighbor is "pretending" to participate in the rent strike. I saw him coming back from the grocery store today. I have no idea how he carried all that stuff (at least twelve full-sized plastic bags, not exaggerating), since he didn't have a cart. A taxi? Uber? Given his health issues, there's no way he carried all that by himself. He bought a lot of stuff on sale, but he also bought a lot of luxuries like pineapples. He's even buying treats for my dogs (nice, but not necessary, as I'm gainfully employed and he knows that). He also offered my mother $20 to wash his dishes. While my mother is a poor senior on "fixed income", she is clearly better off than him.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #425 on: July 05, 2017, 05:03:01 AM »
My neighbour's new solar panels are still standing in his other neighbour's garage for the second summer in a row. I don't understand it. Maybe he is waiting until he has saved enough money to buy a Tesla wall, as he is a major Tesla fan.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #426 on: July 05, 2017, 03:51:36 PM »
He also offered my mother $20 to wash his dishes. While my mother is a poor senior on "fixed income", she is clearly better off than him.

She should take him up on the offer. Might accelerate his departure.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #427 on: July 06, 2017, 02:47:38 AM »
I happened to be "stalking" my neighbor behind my house.  His house is for sale and mine is about to be.  We both have houses approximately the same size built by the same builder.  Trying to figure out how realistic his price is.

The Antimustacian part. 

He has gotten a promotion so is going to move to a much more expensive suburb.  So he's moving just to pay more for a house.

Can you find a developer who might want to combine both blocks and build terraces/townhouses on them?

You could get a premium for selling together.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #428 on: July 06, 2017, 06:36:25 AM »
We've found that a good alternative to the long dive is to set the baby and car seat on a running clothes dryer. You get the same sound and vibration that way, without spending a bunch on gasoline :)

We did the dryer thing, I also used to set my daughters rocker in front of the TV with MTV on, she would settle right down. That was 25 years ago, when MTV was constant music videos, (for you youngsters).
 :-)

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #429 on: July 06, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »
There is a neighbor in my condo complex (one of the ones I don't know/talk to) who drives a 4-door porsche. We live in a condo complex where even the largest unit is ~2,000 sq ft. I can only surmise 1 of 2 options explains it:
1. He is a consumer sukka member of the clown commuting club.
2. He is already FI, and this is his "indulgence" purchase?

Either way, a 4-door porsche? Why not get a real one?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: July 06, 2017, 08:49:04 AM »
There is a neighbor in my condo complex (one of the ones I don't know/talk to) who drives a 4-door porsche. We live in a condo complex where even the largest unit is ~2,000 sq ft. I can only surmise 1 of 2 options explains it:

My MPP: I don't know enough about porsche's to know why a 4-door one is odd?

MustachiansWitness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #431 on: July 06, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »
We've found that a good alternative to the long dive is to set the baby and car seat on a running clothes dryer. You get the same sound and vibration that way, without spending a bunch on gasoline :)

We did the dryer thing, I also used to set my daughters rocker in front of the TV with MTV on, she would settle right down. That was 25 years ago, when MTV was constant music videos, (for you youngsters).
 :-)

Lol, so the three solutions proposed on this forum now are an SUV, an electric dryer and a TV (with a cable channel). A Mustachian would be against all three of these! I don't even have kids or know anything about this, but I just thought that was funny.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »

I'm assuming it is the Panamera. That is a fine family performance vehicle, when under warranty. I have driven one, but I ain't owning one.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #433 on: July 06, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »
...Panamera...is a fine family performance vehicle, when under warranty. I have driven one, but I ain't owning one.

Exactly, I don't see a legitimate (and especially a mustachian) reason you would need a family performance vehicle. Also, everytime I've seen the owner driving by, he has no one else in the car with him. Which means he isn't even using it as a family car.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2017, 03:05:35 PM »
...Panamera...is a fine family performance vehicle, when under warranty. I have driven one, but I ain't owning one.

Exactly, I don't see a legitimate (and especially a mustachian) reason you would need a family performance vehicle. Also, everytime I've seen the owner driving by, he has no one else in the car with him. Which means he isn't even using it as a family car.
I've seen several in my area, on weekends, with backseat passengers.
A mustachian most probably does not need a family performance vehicle. But a mustachian is a statistical outlier. That vehicle, along with the Audi S7, is for the poseur family.
Mock On!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #435 on: July 06, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »

If used responsibly, it is safer to be in a big car during collisions.  But big cars have crap acceleration.  Also used responsibly, big cars with good maneuverability, acceleration, and stopping power (i.e. "performance") are safer.  So if you really want to be very safe, a performance family car can make sense.  There are probably cheaper ways to be equally safe, but compared to, say, a 20 year old Caravan, you're gonna have a good time.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: July 07, 2017, 06:51:14 AM »

If used responsibly, it is safer to be in a big car during collisions.  But big cars have crap acceleration.  Also used responsibly, big cars with good maneuverability, acceleration, and stopping power (i.e. "performance") are safer.  So if you really want to be very safe, a performance family car can make sense.  There are probably cheaper ways to be equally safe, but compared to, say, a 20 year old Caravan, you're gonna have a good time.
It is safer for you to be in a big car during collisions, but not the other guy.  If everyone drove smaller cars, everyone would be safer.  But I guess I can't get everyone to drive smaller cars.  Since there are so many SUVs and trucks here, I can understand getting something bigger to defend yourself, but it's a race to the biggest, which isn't a good race in the long term IMO.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: July 07, 2017, 07:18:16 PM »

The Antimustacian part. 

Can you find a developer who might want to combine both blocks and build terraces/townhouses on them?

You could get a premium for selling together.

Not an option in the neighborhood.  They are new builds (both are less than 5 years old).  While our town is working on adding in multifamily housing options in appropriate areas, our lots are going to stay single family for a long time.

But I don't care because my place is pending for basically asking and slightly more than I expected.  His (I think he overpriced it) has had a first reduction in price and I haven't talked to him since it happened.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #438 on: July 08, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »
My neighbour's new solar panels are still standing in his other neighbour's garage for the second summer in a row. I don't understand it. Maybe he is waiting until he has saved enough money to buy a Tesla wall, as he is a major Tesla fan.

Does the neighbor who has the panels in his garage get rent? I wouldn't let anyone store solar panels long term in my garage unless they were paying me to use the space. They're not exactly tiny.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #439 on: July 11, 2017, 04:27:24 AM »

Does the neighbor who has the panels in his garage get rent? I wouldn't let anyone store solar panels long term in my garage unless they were paying me to use the space. They're not exactly tiny.

No, they are best friends.
But like you, I wouldn't allow for this as a permanent solution either.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #440 on: July 12, 2017, 02:54:39 PM »

I can't see myself allowing any friends, besties or not, to do this for that long without some sort of agreement. With stuff that is expensive and can be broken I wouldn't want to be held liable for any damages. Right now my company's warehouse has a ton of space that we aren't using.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #441 on: July 14, 2017, 12:19:37 PM »
We have a neighbor that has a huge RV in their driveway. We have lived in our home for just over a year now. The RV has not moved once. I did see someone going in and out of it the other day though, so maybe they're going to actually use it.

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #442 on: July 14, 2017, 12:27:05 PM »
We have a neighbor that has a huge RV in their driveway. We have lived in our home for just over a year now. The RV has not moved once. I did see someone going in and out of it the other day though, so maybe they're going to actually use it.

In my experience many people use them more for extra storage than anything. They are a good excuse to have extra sets of dishes/sheets/cutlery/cookware/etc...

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »

In my experience many people use them more for extra storage than anything. They are a good excuse to have extra sets of dishes/sheets/cutlery/cookware/etc...

Two decades of owning them, met a few hundred others that do, and have yet to hear your logic from a single owner. Heard a LOT of bitching about what a total PITA it is to try to own, and inventory two of everything, but have yet to hear somebody who was happy about owning a rolling storage unit.  Never fails that you are a thousand miles from home and discover that you have TWO wine openers in the kitchen drawer at home, and none in the RV. Sadly, I have seen a tons of RVs that are used for the three summer holidays and not much else. Horrendous waste of money. Now, I did make a nice living building vacation homes, and in a contest of stupidity, buying a vacation home makes the average RV purchase look like a pack of gum.

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #444 on: July 14, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »
Two decades of owning them, met a few hundred others that do, and have yet to hear your logic from a single owner. Heard a LOT of bitching about what a total PITA it is to try to own, and inventory two of everything, but have yet to hear somebody who was happy about owning a rolling storage unit.  Never fails that you are a thousand miles from home and discover that you have TWO wine openers in the kitchen drawer at home, and none in the RV. Sadly, I have seen a tons of RVs that are used for the three summer holidays and not much else. Horrendous waste of money. Now, I did make a nice living building vacation homes, and in a contest of stupidity, buying a vacation home makes the average RV purchase look like a pack of gum.

I think you missed my point. These are not "rolling storage units" for many people. They don't travel with them, and therefor they are only stationary storage units. They operate more like oddly shaped garages, holding extra _____'s for supposed future use. Of course when these people are off buying multiple _____'s, they justify duplicate purchases by telling themselves they need one for the house and one for the RV.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #445 on: July 14, 2017, 04:14:28 PM »
In the past couple of years, two different neighbors/acquaintances each sold a moderate-sized house (1300-1800 sq ft) in our ridiculously high cost of living area.  I assume each walked away with a big pile of equity from the sale, based on how long they lived here & how crazy things have been recently.

Each moved to a slightly less ridiculous COL area and bought a HUGE house (5000-7000 sq ft) for more $$$ than they got for the house here.  Each has a family of four.  It makes my brain hurt.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:37:53 PM by nouveauRiche »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #446 on: July 14, 2017, 05:22:33 PM »

I can't see myself allowing any friends, besties or not, to do this for that long without some sort of agreement. With stuff that is expensive and can be broken I wouldn't want to be held liable for any damages. Right now my company's warehouse has a ton of space that we aren't using.

I don't mind storing my friend's expensive stuff because inevitably it just becomes mine by default.  I've been "storing" a 50" TV for the past couple years.  This friend is more likely to buy a new one when he finally gets a bigger place than to want his "old, small" TV back.

I'll store any solar panels outside in the sun.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #447 on: July 14, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »

I think you missed my point. These are not "rolling storage units" for many people. They don't travel with them, and therefor they are only stationary storage units. They operate more like oddly shaped garages, holding extra _____'s for supposed future use. Of course when these people are off buying multiple _____'s, they justify duplicate purchases by telling themselves they need one for the house and one for the RV.

Ah, well that's a whole other level of strange, I guess. Unless the RV is basically trash, it's worth something and continuing to depreciate. Always amazes me that folks like that don't just put the thing on Craigslist and at least get some cash out of it.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #448 on: July 15, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »

I don't mind storing my friend's expensive stuff because inevitably it just becomes mine by default.  I've been "storing" a 50" TV for the past couple years.  This friend is more likely to buy a new one when he finally gets a bigger place than to want his "old, small" TV back.

I'll store any solar panels outside in the sun.
Did the same with my dad's stuff. I'd been storing it for 5 years and moving it because I moved too. I told him he needed to pick it up if he still wanted it, he replied use what you want and sell what you can't except for 2 specific things. So I did and we considered any profit as rent for the storage. (we also dumped 5 boxes of clothes hangers, 8 boxes of expired financial information etc).

Regarding the fence:
My neigbour is redecorating his house, for the third time in 12 years. 4 years ago he redid the kitchen and of course the floor no longer matched the kitchen rebuild so that's what he's doing now. With every rebuild he has to redo the walls and the ceilings, he was complaining about it too... Only plus on it is that he's a contractor and does most, or maybe even all of it, himself.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #449 on: July 16, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
WE bought a used motorhome 10 years ago thinking that we would use it a lot when we retired. Well we haven't taken a ton of trips. It only gets 9 mpg so it costs a ton to take a big trip. We decided for that price we can take a much nicer vacation. However, we have decided against selling it mainly because we use it a lot for an extra guest room.  We also have 1 guest room/office in the house. We love having people visit from all over and staying with us.  My son and DIL even lived in it for 18 months to save $. It is parked on our land for free.  We have no regrets because it was old with very low miles and well kept so did not cost much. It is a smaller bed (double) so I keep 2 sets of sheets for it, small amount of plastic dishes, few cups, silverware, old pans etc.  We keep some items in it like our lawn chairs so don't have to pack it up each time. The dishes I bring in and run thru the dishwasher in the beginning of the season. We also let all our 5 adult kids use it if they want to for a trip.  We have had people knock on the door and offer to buy it since they don;t see it move much.  My DH has also lived in it when he gets bored and picks up a consulting gig out of town.  So there may be reasons people are hanging on to them.  Now if they bought it new then all I can say is Yikes!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!