Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 510707 times)

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #1200 on: October 26, 2022, 09:19:32 AM »
A couple moves in from a very urban area and replaces the small yard (the lot is ~4000 ft2 total and the house is 2000 of that) with artificial turf.

Then they hired a lawn crew. Yes, two guys drive up, plug in their blowers, and proceed to blow off the leaves (from the neighbor's trees) and do some light raking for about an hour. They could do it in 15 minutes but they're getting paid for an hour's work.

Eta: This wasn't some cleanup before a party. This is a weekly contract.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 09:23:54 AM by bacchi »

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1201 on: October 26, 2022, 10:27:43 AM »
A couple moves in from a very urban area and replaces the small yard (the lot is ~4000 ft2 total and the house is 2000 of that) with artificial turf.

Then they hired a lawn crew. Yes, two guys drive up, plug in their blowers, and proceed to blow off the leaves (from the neighbor's trees) and do some light raking for about an hour. They could do it in 15 minutes but they're getting paid for an hour's work.

Are they also going to install some type of snow blowing device on their roof so they can have fake snow falling down in front of their windows in the winter months?  I'm sure they could always hire a snow shoveler to move the fake snow should it accumulate too much on the walk ways.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1202 on: October 26, 2022, 11:36:51 AM »
If you remember the neighbor that took out a HELOC to put in her awesome patio….they’re moving to a 6 BR. For 3 people. There will be a dedicated projects room and TV room.

*internal screaming*

At least they’re not in debt. And I will miss having them as neighbors, they’re respectful and we frequently shared cookies.

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #1203 on: October 26, 2022, 02:11:58 PM »

Is it the old fashioned astroturf or the newer field turf? Either way I can sort of see the sense in that. Artificial turf isn’t going to accept the products of the natural breaking down of leaves the same way grass will. At the same time, it probably takes longer for whatever bugs/worms/enzymes/etc. that break down the leaves to get there (if they ever do) because I’m guessing they don’t do so well in the artificial stuff.

Add some moisture from rain or dew and leaves that have been there for a while could really create a mess.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1204 on: October 26, 2022, 02:37:23 PM »

Is it the old fashioned astroturf or the newer field turf? Either way I can sort of see the sense in that. Artificial turf isn’t going to accept the products of the natural breaking down of leaves the same way grass will. At the same time, it probably takes longer for whatever bugs/worms/enzymes/etc. that break down the leaves to get there (if they ever do) because I’m guessing they don’t do so well in the artificial stuff.

Add some moisture from rain or dew and leaves that have been there for a while could really create a mess.

It's the newer turf but that's not (entirely) the point. It literally takes 15 minutes. Instead, some guys make a trip in their Silverado once a week to do it.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #1205 on: October 27, 2022, 12:01:19 PM »

It's the newer turf but that's not (entirely) the point. It literally takes 15 minutes. Instead, some guys make a trip in their Silverado once a week to do it.

Not to mention it’s god damn awful for the environment, which in itself is anti-mustachian if you ask me.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1206 on: October 27, 2022, 12:36:20 PM »

Not to mention it’s god damn awful for the environment, which in itself is anti-mustachian if you ask me.

Well, turf is generally better for the environment than maintaining lawn grass, depending on how you maintain it. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1207 on: October 27, 2022, 12:40:27 PM »
I take issue with that. Turf is plastic. Grass is grass and other stuff mixed in. If you’re obsessive about no weeds and watering to keep it green and mowing to keep it short, grass can be problematic. If you don’t stress about clover, pull the occasional weed, let it brown out in dry weather, and mow it irregularly, grass provides a lot more habitat that AstroTurf (or the modern equivalent).

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #1208 on: October 27, 2022, 01:26:23 PM »

Well, turf is generally better for the environment than maintaining lawn grass, depending on how you maintain it.

Wait, what?!?

Turf is in no way better for the environment than grass.

There may be some small argument that it uses less water and fewer pesticides to maintain than my neighbor does with his daily watering and monthly weed spraying routine, but I'm not convinced that would balance out against surrounding your home with 4,000 square feet of plastic.

It provides 0 habitat for insects or animals

Though some of it may be made with recycled materials, the vast majority is made with totally virgin petrochemical products that are not recyclable, despite what many astroturf companies claim. (There is exactly one facility in the entire world that recycles plastic turf). Turf needs to be replaced every 5-10 years at a minimum because sun + plastic = breakdown.

It increases the heat around your house compared to grass or any other plant covering.

And! It still needs to be watered to stay clean and to keep it from overheating or, depending on the type you are using, to keep it from overwhelming you with tire fumes on a hot day.

If you really hate plants, you could cover your whole yard with tamped down decomposed granite or gravel and still come out ahead of what you would have with turf.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #1209 on: October 27, 2022, 04:01:03 PM »

Wait, what?!?

There may be some small argument that it uses less water and fewer pesticides to maintain than my neighbor does with his daily watering and monthly weed spraying routine, but I'm not convinced that would balance out against surrounding your home with 4,000 square feet of plastic.

Though some of it may be made with recycled materials, the vast majority is made with totally virgin petrochemical products that are not recyclable, despite what many astroturf companies claim. (There is exactly one facility in the entire world that recycles plastic turf). Turf needs to be replaced every 5-10 years at a minimum because sun + plastic = breakdown.

It increases the heat around your house compared to grass or any other plant covering.

And! It still needs to be watered to stay clean and to keep it from overheating or, depending on the type you are using, to keep it from overwhelming you with tire fumes on a hot day.

If you really hate plants, you could cover your whole yard with tamped down decomposed granite or gravel and still come out ahead of what you would have with turf.

Whoa! What rock have I been living under? I had no idea people were now putting in fake grass in their lawns. What’s next? Fake trees? Fake shrubs? Fake flowers?

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1210 on: October 28, 2022, 08:51:53 AM »

Wait, what?!?

I didn't say turf was better for the environment than grass.  I said it's generally better than maintaining a lawn, depending on how you maintain it.  No said anything about hating plants or that turf was better than gravel, relax.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1211 on: October 28, 2022, 12:53:45 PM »
Whoa! What rock have I been living under? I had no idea people were now putting in fake grass in their lawns. What’s next? Fake trees? Fake shrubs? Fake flowers?

It's common in certain parts of Arizona where water is scarce and the people are old (think Sun City*). It's now spreading to other places even where a xeriscaped yard is just as easy and much better for the environment.

* Although Sun City may only allow gravel. It's been years and years since I've visited.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #1212 on: October 28, 2022, 08:12:33 PM »
I know of two houses with astroturf lawns in Boston.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1213 on: October 29, 2022, 11:41:57 AM »
We are slowly redoing our hardscaping and landscaping. The front lawn was replaced with slate chips. They're perfect under redwood trees. There are boxwoods and azaleas along the edges, both of which were there when we bought the house. The backyard is going to get a small patch of turf, but it will be surrounded by mostly xeriscape and more redwood trees. Why? Because we live in a drought-stricken area. The patch of turf will represent about 15-20% of the total backyard space. Fake grass doesn't need to be fertilized either.

We also have three homes in a Sun City development in the desert. They are all landscaped with gravel and desert tolerant plants. Fun fact: per the HOA's ridiculous rules, sand is not allowed to accumulate in the gravel. One of the houses is on the edge of the development. It gets awesome sunsets, but also collects more blown-in sand.  We just paid $1600 to have the gravel scooped out, screeded, the excess sand removed, and the gravel put back. Ugh.

True story: A neighbor xeriscaped their home. The bees, etc. loved it. One day, the husband stumbled into a hidden nest. He was stung so many times, he died. The bereaved wife let everything go for several years and it turned into a jungle. Recently, she ripped everything out and started over. Xeriscape does not mean zero maintenance, alas.

Every option has consequences.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1214 on: October 29, 2022, 11:40:27 PM »
Xeriscape does not mean zero maintenance, alas.

Every option has consequences.

As a professional landscaper, I have to explain this to clients on at least a weekly basis.  Everyone seems to think it means zero cost and zero maintenance.  And it’s very true that all options have positive and negative consequences.  Personally, I think plastic lawn turf is a poor choice, with one exception- used in a very small area as a putting green, it’s a more practical and maintainable option for a homeowner.  I prefer keeping lawns to as small a portion of a yard as makes sense for the space, say up to 1/2 of a very small yard or 1/4 or so of a big yard, and the rest of the yard be made up of gardens of trees/shrubs/perennials etc fed with drip irrigation covered in bark mulch, and sometimes rock, but mulch tends to keep a yard cooler than rock so depending where I usually prefer that. 

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1215 on: October 30, 2022, 08:51:24 AM »
Replacing real grass with astroturf is now a thing in Ireland, too. My brother's 1100 sq ft house (for scale) has a tiny back yard (the trampoline takes up a lot of it), and no grass in the front of the house. Between kids, dog, and Irish weather, what grass there was didn't last long. He replaced the grass with fake grass. It was set up to drain properly, and he was told the top layer (the grass) will need to be replaced every ten years.

He sold his mower, and is much happier with the fake grass.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1216 on: November 14, 2022, 10:47:31 AM »
My apartment management company just sent out a notice reminding everyone tgat "cooking season is starting " and to check and make sure their oven, dishwasher,  etc all work before Thanksgiving. I am guessing they have been flooded with maintenance calls in the past from people who only cook once a year. SMH.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1217 on: November 14, 2022, 11:43:21 AM »
My apartment management company just sent out a notice reminding everyone tgat "cooking season is starting " and to check and make sure their oven, dishwasher,  etc all work before Thanksgiving. I am guessing they have been flooded with maintenance calls in the past from people who only cook once a year. SMH.

"Cooking season is starting" hahahahahaha

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1218 on: November 14, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »

"Cooking season is starting" hahahahahaha
this is funny

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1219 on: November 15, 2022, 07:27:21 AM »

Or less than once a year :) I met my now-wife a few months after I'd moved into my apartment. She decided to make dinner one night, and was surprised to find the user manual and warranty for the oven still inside, wrapped in plastic as delivered.

I hate cooking. The only time I use the oven is for baking, and I try not to do that too often. For everyday stuff, the toaster oven and microwave are all I need.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1220 on: November 21, 2022, 07:49:58 PM »

Or less than once a year :) I met my now-wife a few months after I'd moved into my apartment. She decided to make dinner one night, and was surprised to find the user manual and warranty for the oven still inside, wrapped in plastic as delivered.

I hate cooking. The only time I use the oven is for baking, and I try not to do that too often. For everyday stuff, the toaster oven and microwave are all I need.

I’ve mostly been using my air fryer and instapot lately along with my oven for pizza.  I think I’ve used the cook top twice since moving here in June.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1221 on: November 22, 2022, 08:42:15 AM »
Some families in our neighborhood pay to have people install Christmas lights.  Out of curiosity, DW looked up the cost.  $1500-5000.

Holy smokes, even the low end is more than our entire Christmas budget, including our family of 8, gifts for extended family, charitable giving, decorations, the tree itself...

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1222 on: November 22, 2022, 09:02:38 AM »
Some families in our neighborhood pay to have people install Christmas lights.  Out of curiosity, DW looked up the cost.  $1500-5000.

Holy smokes, even the low end is more than our entire Christmas budget, including our family of 8, gifts for extended family, charitable giving, decorations, the tree itself...

We might spend that much the years we stay in a few hotels...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1223 on: November 23, 2022, 10:23:10 PM »

Haha, overnight, our neighbors went from zero lights to thousands. The only way that could have happened in one day is if they had paid someone.

They're also the folks who remodeled their kitchen (total gut job, all done by contractors) and still eat out/DoorDash/Uber Eats/whatever as often as they did before the remodel.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #1224 on: November 24, 2022, 12:45:46 AM »

Idea for seasonal post-FIRE work? I might be willing to climb up on ladders and hang Christmas lights if someone paid me $5000.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1225 on: November 25, 2022, 08:47:02 PM »

Idea for seasonal post-FIRE work? I might be willing to climb up on ladders and hang Christmas lights if someone paid me $5000.
I knew someone who did this as a side-gig in a wealthy area for a while & it was extremely lucrative. My fear was always that the homeowners would be careless of the ladder while my friend was up there: being seen as a servant while already in physical danger is much riskier than just heights.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1226 on: November 26, 2022, 03:54:15 PM »

I knew someone who did this as a side-gig in a wealthy area for a while & it was extremely lucrative. My fear was always that the homeowners would be careless of the ladder while my friend was up there: being seen as a servant while already in physical danger is much riskier than just heights.

I would be as worried about the rich folks getting all nit picky and demand it be redone because they dont like the shade of red light or dont want a cord visible when standing on a step stool.  Managing people like this is a skill. 

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1227 on: November 26, 2022, 09:59:48 PM »
Does that price include rental of the lights, or is it just for the installation of the homeowner's own lights?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1228 on: November 27, 2022, 07:29:30 AM »
Does that price include rental of the lights, or is it just for the installation of the homeowner's own lights?
I believe it's a turnkey service.  The installers provide the lights, hang them, and take them down afterward.

beekayworld

• Stubble
« Reply #1229 on: December 04, 2022, 06:13:23 PM »

It's common in certain parts of Arizona where water is scarce and the people are old (think Sun City*). It's now spreading to other places even where a xeriscaped yard is just as easy and much better for the environment.

* Although Sun City may only allow gravel. It's been years and years since I've visited.

Yep. It's also common in southern California where we have watering restrictions. For example, this house description: "Wonderful low maintenance yard, new high quality turf, rocks and pavers." https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5111-Onacrest-Dr-Los-Angeles-CA-90043/20565632_zpid/?mmlb=g,4.  This picture shows it the best

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1230 on: December 04, 2022, 06:22:59 PM »
I ran across this saying on Twitter, in someone's comment about some Russians being concerned about war crimes trials if Russia loses the war big time.

But it could be aptly used in many a situation, and certainly for some of the stories that show up in this thread:

"The Dildo of Consequences is unlikely to arrive lubed."

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1231 on: December 05, 2022, 05:34:28 AM »

I must now work that line into conversation.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1232 on: December 05, 2022, 05:29:34 PM »

I must now work that line into conversation.
Back in the Usenet days  it was "The Barbed Wire Dildo of Enlightenment"

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #1233 on: December 13, 2022, 08:37:52 AM »
Our townhomes have fenced in backyards, maybe 30'x40', which there are no HOA rules governing how we keep up. Our next door neighbor poured concrete over the entire thing because they were tired of maintaining the area. They don't use it for anything, it was purely to keep everything dead

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1234 on: December 14, 2022, 11:30:00 AM »
A neighbor's Volt died and the neighbor has decided to get a new car (probably a good idea as replacement batteries for a Volt are $$$). When talking about how car prices are high right now, the neighbor mentioned off handedly that the monthly cost for her 15 pound purebred dog is $1000. This isn't a dog at the end of its life, either. It's for handmade food, grooming, day care, and dog walking. Holy. Shit.

"Hey, I have an idea on how you can afford a new (used) car. Hear me out..."

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1235 on: December 17, 2022, 06:49:59 PM »
Saw this on FB today:

I just paid off my iPhone 13 max pro a year early.
I feel amazing!!!

My first thought was, "You spent so much on a phone it was going to cost MORE than a year to pay it off?!!!"

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1236 on: December 20, 2022, 11:54:56 AM »
I'm sure the neighbors who hire the in-home chef have high expectations. But for the 2 "amateur" caterers I just mentioned - they prepare more homestyle meals and sell them for (IIRC) $40 for an 8x8 pan.

OMG!!!  8x8 is tiny.  Wow.  You could buy one frozen and wrap it up nice and be done with it.

A friend once said that she was was invited to a friends house for some holiday meal and for some unknown reason she said she would bring mac and cheese.  She can't cook. I told her she will never make the perfect mac and cheese bc Stouffers already did it.  I comes frozen in a 9x12 tray.  I said just buy it, heat it, and put it in your own pan and you're good to go.

BTW, I make a mean mac and cheese.  Look up Jenny Can Cook.  Her recipe is easy and awesome.

That's crazy talk. Stouffers is awful

The recipe on the Velveeta box is the best. Just add lots of black pepper. Perfect with grilled pork chops.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1237 on: December 20, 2022, 08:47:30 PM »
DW has an awesome Mac and cheese recipe. We usually add hot dog slices to it (because the kids love it), bit more recently, she's started serving it with roast from a crock pot. It's amazing!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #1238 on: December 21, 2022, 06:18:02 PM »
One of my neighbors booked a trip to Macau (basically the only “international” destination that does not require you to quarantine when you return to China). Total cost of the trip is probably around $1500-$2000 for five days. Non refundable because it’s over the holidays. To board their flight, they needed a PCR within the last 48 hours. They didn’t have an updated PCR so were not allowed to board.

Then they decide to book a trip to the mountains instead. The cheapest package at the resort is $700, not including transportation. Let’s tack on another $300 for transportation and sundries. That’s $1000.
Again, non refundable.

They just came down with COVID and can’t travel. They’re now trying to sell their reservation to the mountain resort to recoup some of their costs.

I feel for them. I really do. My free trip to Suzhou was also canceled due to COVID. But People really need to learn to make reservations that offer free cancellation or full refunds.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1239 on: December 22, 2022, 09:40:52 AM »
That, or cough up for the travel insurance. I was never a big believer in travel insurance, but after a couple of snafus I usually spring for it. If nothing else, it's worth the peace of mind leading up to what's supposed to be a relaxing vacation.

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #1240 on: January 05, 2023, 08:32:09 AM »
A good friend of mine is a financial advisor and does financial planning for some clients.  He told me one client spends $2800 - $3000 a month at Starbucks.  Yes, per month.  A lot of the cost was the client purchasing for friends and co-workers. The client didn't even realize it.  Mind blown.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1241 on: January 05, 2023, 08:57:20 AM »
A good friend of mine is a financial advisor and does financial planning for some clients.  He told me one client spends $2800 - $3000 a month at Starbucks.  Yes, per month.  A lot of the cost was the client purchasing for friends and co-workers. The client didn't even realize it.  Mind blown.

"I just did not think that 100$ per day would add up to real money..." - client probably.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1242 on: January 05, 2023, 12:53:00 PM »
That, or cough up for the travel insurance. I was never a big believer in travel insurance, but after a couple of snafus I usually spring for it. If nothing else, it's worth the peace of mind leading up to what's supposed to be a relaxing vacation.
Unfortunately, a lot of travel insurance will no longer cover COVID.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1243 on: January 05, 2023, 06:31:55 PM »
Even at Starbucks prices,  that's still got to be like 15 drinks a day, every day, right? How could you possible not realize that?!?

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #1244 on: January 05, 2023, 07:04:39 PM »
Unfortunately, a lot of travel insurance will no longer cover COVID.

The most recent policy I bought (this summer) did cover COVID. It pays to compare plans and - I can't emphasize this enough - READ AND UNDERSTAND THE FINE PRINT. I'm astonished at how much travel insurance policies differ in terms of what exactly they will cover, even though two similar policies on the surface might provide similar coverage levels.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1245 on: January 05, 2023, 07:44:26 PM »
The local water utility is having problems reading meters, and a lot of people have received much higher than usual bills. On our neighbourhood listserv, one person said they had replaced all their toilets before reading the bill closely enough to see that the bill was based on an estimated meter reading.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1246 on: January 05, 2023, 08:16:25 PM »
The local water utility is having problems reading meters, and a lot of people have received much higher than usual bills. On our neighbourhood listserv, one person said they had replaced all their toilets before reading the bill closely enough to see that the bill was based on an estimated meter reading.
That’s pretty shitty.  :-)   /sarcasm

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1247 on: January 09, 2023, 08:00:32 AM »
All the water meters in my town got replaced last year. It was hilarious watching it play out on social media. First, all the people wondering if it was a scam (it wasn't, just really poorly communicated), then everyone freaking out the higher bills, sometimes much higher. It seems that a bunch of people didn't bother to look at the bills and realize that it was estimated, so they needed to call in their reading. There was also someone who somehow had had a completely broken meter for years and it never got identified, so they essentially didn't pay for water. Their bill was several thousand dollars and they were screaming about it on FB.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1248 on: January 09, 2023, 12:59:56 PM »
I have a friend whose house was a spec build, and the builder was running out of money before he finished it, so it was sold to my friend with no driveway, no landscaping, and someinterior work needing to be done. Fifteen years later, the township started replacing water meters, and he didn't have one. It had never been installed. They tried to make him pay an estimated bill, but he ended up not having to pay anything up until the point they found out. I don't think it went to court, but basically the township inspected the house to give it a COA, and never noticed the missing meter. Their problem!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1249 on: January 09, 2023, 01:33:23 PM »
I have a friend whose house was a spec build, and the builder was running out of money before he finished it, so it was sold to my friend with no driveway, no landscaping, and someinterior work needing to be done. Fifteen years later, the township started replacing water meters, and he didn't have one. It had never been installed. They tried to make him pay an estimated bill, but he ended up not having to pay anything up until the point they found out. I don't think it went to court, but basically the township inspected the house to give it a COA, and never noticed the missing meter. Their problem!

Obligatory:
https://what-if.xkcd.com/91/ + Crypto mining = profit!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!