Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081951 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3400 on: November 06, 2015, 06:45:48 PM »
I like "Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." 

Yes, we definitely encourage effort above all else.  She's a perfectionist and a lot of times won't try to do something unless she knows she can do it well/right.  It's been a high focus of ours to just try things and encourage making mistakes and it's really paying off in her reading.  She's attempting to read lots of things now when previously she would quit when she hit a word she wasn't sure of. 

FWIW her father and I were both Valedictorians in HS and Honors students in college (engineering majors).

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3401 on: November 06, 2015, 08:26:41 PM »
No foam in this thread? Let's discuss all the possible uses of hashtags and all share our general attitude towards them.

#sike

It's "psych," damn it! #spelling #pedant #foam #hashtag #hashtaghashtag

Oh, my God, this made me think of something I can't believe no one else has mentioned:

When people write "Awe!" as an interjection.  Cute baby photo? "Awe, cute!"

And similarly, it makes me absolutely insane when people write "woah" instead of "whoa."

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3402 on: November 06, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »
No foam in this thread? Let's discuss all the possible uses of hashtags and all share our general attitude towards them.

#sike

It's "psych," damn it! #spelling #pedant #foam #hashtag #hashtaghashtag

#samedifference #forallintensivepurposes
and #icouldcareless

Thanks dragoncar -- that one got a huge laugh out of me #forallintentsandpurposes  !!!

I have some of the worst grammar on this forum (thanks, stupid phone keypad with weird autocorrect)...   so I should not throw stones, but your post was so great.  I assume intentional...

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #3403 on: November 09, 2015, 08:27:13 AM »
Acquaintance recently posted his brand new Ford F-150 covered in RhinoLiner claiming that he just had to do it after he got such a deal on a 2015 Nissan Murano.  Knowing what I do about their finances, I think they now have a car payment that is roughly equal to my mortgage.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3404 on: November 09, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »

Oh, my God, this made me think of something I can't believe no one else has mentioned:

And similarly, it makes me absolutely insane when people write "woah" instead of "whoa."

Or "yea" when they mean "yeah."  Glad to know I'm not the only one seething in silent rage over horrible spelling and grammar.  :D

YES EVEN I MAKE TYPOS SOMETIMES
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:30:09 AM by MandalayVA »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3405 on: November 09, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »
I'm not the only once seething in silent rage over horrible spelling and grammar.  :D
Heh

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #3406 on: November 09, 2015, 11:08:45 AM »

Or "yea" when they mean "yeah."  Glad to know I'm not the only once seething in silent rage over horrible spelling and grammar.  :D

There's actually a really amusing name for this: Muphry's Law

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #3407 on: November 09, 2015, 11:21:42 AM »

Or "yea" when they mean "yeah."  Glad to know I'm not the only one seething in silent rage over horrible spelling and grammar.  :D

The worst one I've seen so far was "wallah!" I read it three times thinking "WTF?!" before I realized what the person was trying to say.

/facepalm

Wilson Hall

• Stubble
« Reply #3408 on: November 09, 2015, 11:42:53 AM »

+1

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3409 on: November 09, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »

The worst one I've seen so far was "wallah!" I read it three times thinking "WTF?!" before I realized what the person was trying to say.

/facepalm

Phonetic spellings of mouth sounds don't bother me so much.  I know "aw" is technically in the dictionary, but it's like complaining about me typing "goo goo gah gah" vs. "goo goo gaga" -- none of that is a real "word," it's just a sound I'm making with my mouth and I can spell it how I want.  If you're going to cry about it, you can "waaaaaa" or "wah," and if you're going to scoff at me you can "pffft" or "piff."  If you agree with me, on the other hand, you can "mmm hmm" or "uh huh," or if you're enjoying your food you can "mm mm good."  If all this is freaking you out a bit, just go "ermahgerd" and GTFO

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3410 on: November 09, 2015, 11:57:04 AM »

/facepalm

Phonetic spellings of mouth sounds don't bother me so much.  I know "aw" is technically in the dictionary, but it's like complaining about me typing "goo goo gah gah" vs. "goo goo gaga" -- none of that is a real "word," it's just a sound I'm making with my mouth and I can spell it how I want.  If you're going to cry about it, you can "waaaaaa" or "wah," and if you're going to scoff at me you can "pffft" or "piff."  If you agree with me, on the other hand, you can "mmm hmm" or "uh huh," or if you're enjoying your food you can "mm mm good."  If all this is freaking you out a bit, just go "ermahgerd" and GTFO

Aren't all words "mouth sounds", in a way?

:P

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #3411 on: November 09, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »

/facepalm
I've seen that too, and I can only imagine those people have no idea that "wallah" is actually a word completely separate from "voila." In India your lunch is delivered by a daba wallah, and your chai is bought from a chai wallah.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3412 on: November 09, 2015, 01:29:33 PM »

/facepalm

Aren't all words "mouth sounds", in a way?

:P

Haha, yah/yeah/yesh.    But some are just undefined noises and some are frequently used in print (i.e. used as eye sounds)

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3413 on: November 09, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »
Onomatopoeia - the formation of a word from a sound associated with what is named (e.g., cuckoo, sizzle, moo ). 

or if you prefer, mouth-sounds. 

I know it's foam, but it is erudite vocabulary foam.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3414 on: November 10, 2015, 06:38:36 AM »

Or "yea" when they mean "yeah."  Glad to know I'm not the only once seething in silent rage over horrible spelling and grammar.  :D

There's actually a really amusing name for this: Muphry's Law

That is fantastic.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #3415 on: November 14, 2015, 09:56:51 AM »
Does this have anything to do with personal finance? No. But it was overheard on FB and it is precious:

"Never worked for a company that lacks so much miscommunication. It's ridiculous."

whybe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3416 on: November 19, 2015, 09:38:05 AM »
Not on fb per se but https://globalvoices.org/2015/09/11/fake-weddings-set-a-trend-in-argentina/
People are eager to waste time and money on these things even when they are fake... Go figure

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3417 on: November 19, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »
Two things I saw recently.

A. A lady I know that has some personal issues posted that she's selling a ton of things to help make rent, and her and her husband are moving in with their parents once their lease is up. Then I'll see a bunch of glamour shots, I believe she is a model of some kind but I suspect that she's paying a professional photographer to take pictures.

B. A friend of a friend is pregnant, her husband is currently unemployed, she's posted about how this is such a blessing. In addition, she's asked for money for new maternity clothes. I understand the need for new clothes. I'm somewhat boggled at the prospect of having a newborn when there is no one earning money to support the family.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3418 on: November 19, 2015, 10:25:09 AM »
"Made my first credit card payment today (credit card specifically for vet[erinarian] bills). I dunno why, but just the payment process was super stressful. Lol. Glad that's over with. Next month, paying the whole balance off. This month, have to spend lots of money for the Marine Corps Ball in Vegas."

I'm really close to unfriending this person. Her husband is enlisted in the Corps and isn't higher than an E3 in rank, which pulls in just over minimum wage. She is a "stay-at-home" wife that contributes nothing to covering their expenses, but keeps adopting animals. At one point they were fostering 5 dogs (on top of the dog, cats, and several rodents that are theirs full-time). She is also pregnant with their first kid and has shown no signs of slowing her spending. I know for a fact there is no way, even with all of the additional living expense allowances that come with enlisted service, that he is making enough to support this crap and I'm getting really tired of seeing idiotic things like this come up on my feed.
After reading through the comments I found that a friend (from what I can tell, not related by blood or marriage) is giving her money to pay off her credit card with no indication of intent to repay. This isn't even a conversation they're trying to hide! If I were in such a terrible financial situation that I needed somebody else to pay my bills, I sure as shit wouldn't be talking about it publically on facebook and would definitely not be planning an expensive trip for something that doesn't need to be expensive ...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3419 on: November 19, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »

B. A friend of a friend is pregnant, her husband is currently unemployed, she's posted about how this is such a blessing. In addition, she's asked for money for new maternity clothes. I understand the need for new clothes. I'm somewhat boggled at the prospect of having a newborn when there is no one earning money to support the family.

Two thoughts- even if it was unplanned I can see people saying "it's a blessing"; so possibly they didn't mean to have a baby when no one is earning money.

Second- asking for MONEY for new maternity clothes? How about ask for some hand me downs.  (Also- if you are facebook friends with this person, recommend Schoola.com, and tell her to google for a referall and discount code.  I got all my non-hand me down maternity clothes and a whole wardrobe of baby clothes there and barely spent a cent...)

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #3420 on: November 19, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
A. A lady I know that has some personal issues posted that she's selling a ton of things to help make rent, and her and her husband are moving in with their parents once their lease is up. Then I'll see a bunch of glamour shots, I believe she is a model of some kind but I suspect that she's paying a professional photographer to take pictures.

It could just be a straight up trade, ie, model gets free headshots, photographer gets a free model. Aspiring photographers and aspiring models both need to build a portfolio somehow, so that kind of trade isn't uncommon.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3421 on: November 19, 2015, 12:13:13 PM »

Two thoughts- even if it was unplanned I can see people saying "it's a blessing"; so possibly they didn't mean to have a baby when no one is earning money.

Second- asking for MONEY for new maternity clothes? How about ask for some hand me downs.  (Also- if you are facebook friends with this person, recommend Schoola.com, and tell her to google for a referall and discount code.  I got all my non-hand me down maternity clothes and a whole wardrobe of baby clothes there and barely spent a cent...)

It was planned so far as I know (I don't know nearly as much, but am reasonably confident). I don't know much about maternity clothes so I try to stay out of it. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll mention it to a friend of hers who could tell her.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3422 on: November 19, 2015, 12:13:58 PM »

It could just be a straight up trade, ie, model gets free headshots, photographer gets a free model. Aspiring photographers and aspiring models both need to build a portfolio somehow, so that kind of trade isn't uncommon.

That's a good point. I don't know anything about modeling...for some reason I've never been asked to model ;-).

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3423 on: November 20, 2015, 07:03:51 AM »

It was planned so far as I know (I don't know nearly as much, but am reasonably confident). I don't know much about maternity clothes so I try to stay out of it. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll mention it to a friend of hers who could tell her.

I'm going to sign up for FB and start suggesting maternity clothes for all my overweight friends. lol

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #3424 on: November 20, 2015, 07:39:46 AM »
On my local mom FB group: Looking for a videographer recommendation for my kids birthday party.

!!!!!!!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3425 on: November 20, 2015, 10:01:19 AM »
A guy posted an image with the message, Drive a truck, because no girl ever said, "I wanna take a ride in your Prius."'

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3426 on: November 20, 2015, 11:17:31 AM »
A guy posted an image with the message, Drive a truck, because no girl ever said, "I wanna take a ride in your Prius."'

Buy a truck to impress girls. Impress superficial girl. Marry superficial girl. Girl spends all your money. Divorce over money. Trade truck for Prius to save money and recoup losses.

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #3427 on: November 20, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
I have a good Overheard on Facebook: A friend announced that she had paid off $25k in debt.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3428 on: November 20, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »
I have a good Overheard on Facebook: A friend announced that she had paid off $25k in debt.

Nice, I love seeing that.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3429 on: November 20, 2015, 01:09:34 PM »

Buy a truck to impress girls. Impress superficial girl. Marry superficial girl. Girl spends all your money. Divorce over money. Trade truck for Prius to save money and recoup losses.

lol

Suncoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3430 on: November 21, 2015, 05:30:49 AM »
I see a steady stream of back and forth memes between Ford and Chevy truck owners.  Ford is better because blah blah blah.  Chevy is better because blah blah blah.  Who cares?   They are both a waste of money.

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3431 on: November 21, 2015, 07:42:20 PM »
I saw this because a friend liked it.

So this guy posted a photo of himself standing in front of a bright red Lamborghini.

Here's the gist of his 800 word caption:
Grew up poor with a single mother.
I wanted to be rich because money is power.
Got rich selling 3 companies.
Dream since early childhood was to own a Lamborghini.
Bought Lamborghini.
Fuck the haters, I earned this, I love my life.

This post has 600 likes and 200 fawning comments.

My favorite: "You're an inspiration. A true embodiment of the American Dream."

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3432 on: November 21, 2015, 09:11:27 PM »

Before I had my own, I would have been totally interested in a Prius ride!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3433 on: November 22, 2015, 02:44:24 PM »

Before I had my own, I would have been totally interested in a Prius ride!

Yeah it's clearly an untrue statement-- go to any Prius dealer and you will see girls test driving them.  I guess only girls who don't know how to drive prefer trucks?

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3434 on: November 23, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
I saw this because a friend liked it.

So this guy posted a photo of himself standing in front of a bright red Lamborghini.

Here's the gist of his 800 word caption:
Grew up poor with a single mother.
I wanted to be rich because money is power.
Got rich selling 3 companies.
Dream since early childhood was to own a Lamborghini.
Bought Lamborghini.
Fuck the haters, I earned this, I love my life.

This post has 600 likes and 200 fawning comments.

My favorite: "You're an inspiration. A true embodiment of the American Dream."

My thought was "good for him"  If he has the money, he can spend it on what he wants.  My scorn is for the people who buy what they want when they cannot afford it.

MMM is not about not spending money.  It is about managing money wisely so you can do what you want with it.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3435 on: November 23, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »
I have a cousin who posted a picture of the house he bought in Ohio. It's a freaking mansion! Take the apartment DW and I live in (~650sqft) and then multiply that by at least 6 and then add in a basement! It's 2 "average" houses stuck together. Like, it's got *wings*.

Anyways, cousin can't make nearly that much. I imagine he makes decent money and his wife as well. At most I'd say $125k/yr. I'm not sure what houses in Ohio cost, but I'd guess the house was at least $400k (it'd be several million where I live). Could he afford it? Probably. Was it a bit over the top? Definitely. DW, who is only semi-mustachian, commented about how stupidly large it was.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3436 on: November 23, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »
I have a cousin who posted a picture of the house he bought in Ohio. It's a freaking mansion! Take the apartment DW and I live in (~650sqft) and then multiply that by at least 6 and then add in a basement! It's 2 "average" houses stuck together. Like, it's got *wings*.

Anyways, cousin can't make nearly that much. I imagine he makes decent money and his wife as well. At most I'd say $125k/yr. I'm not sure what houses in Ohio cost, but I'd guess the house was at least $400k (it'd be several million where I live). Could he afford it? Probably. Was it a bit over the top? Definitely. DW, who is only semi-mustachian, commented about how stupidly large it was.

Wait until he has to pay the heating bill.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3437 on: November 23, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »

Wait until he has to pay the heating bill.

I don't think I'll hear about those complaints on facebook :P.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #3438 on: November 23, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
Just another FB post with people celebrating and congratulating debt. I also see a bit of irony with saying that you are an adult and then typing like a child with their first cellphone.

"(Husband) and I did some big-time ‪#‎adulting‬ yesterday, when we said goodbye to my sweet Kia Rio, and bought a ‪#‎Donutmobile‬. Meet Gary. ‪#‎kiasorento‬ ‪#‎latergram‬"

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3439 on: November 23, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »

Try being from Ohio! Universally hated as travelers in the US. Well, the South anyway.

I mean, I don't hate ohio tourists, but y'all tend to be fat, loud, and overly impressed by things. Also, I've met too many of you whose idea of seeing a national park is driving on the asphalt, getting out at a couple overlooks for a few minutes, then leaving.

Folks from up in that part of the country are very impressed by really curvy roads and big hills (aka mtns).

Oh and bears! Gotta stop and take pictures of the bears!!! ;)

"Bear jams" the park rangers call the resulting traffic chaos. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3440 on: November 23, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
A friend just posted that he's selling his Mustang GT with 9500 miles on it (for the ~$35k balance on his loan) because the Shelby is out now and he wants the new one...

But modern Shelby Mustangs have been available for almost a decade... Why didn't he just buy a used one instead of the Mustang GT? The 2007-2009 GT500 (which has an adequate 500 hp) can be found for under $30k for a low mileage example. If you wanted to blow more than $30k on a car you really shouldn't be looking at Mustangs.

This is trhe same mentality of a guy I heard about years ago working two jobs, his wife working two jobs, DINKS x2 b/c he always wanted the newest toys. Sold his nearly new jetskis b/c the new ones were 2-3 MPH faster...

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3441 on: November 24, 2015, 10:05:58 AM »
Not overheard myself, but relayed to me incredulously by SWMBO about a post one of her friends (part-time cow-irker actually) had posted.

The friend posted a GFM asking for money so she and her son can take a trip down to Mexico. Apparently she REALLY wants the son to have the experience of going to Mexico. Said son is now almost 2 years old, and after he's over 2 she can't fly with him for free so she's trying to get people to give her money to pay for them to go before he turns 2.

SWMBO and I are both like, "Wait- he's -TWO-... he's not going to remember a damn thing about the trip at all so there's no real point in him going, this is just her wanting to go to Mexico on vacation and using her son as an excuse (and a poor one) to try and get people to feel sorry for her and pay for the trip for her..."

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #3442 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:35 AM »
Mexico with a two year old is not my idea of a vacation, but hey, that's just me.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3443 on: November 24, 2015, 11:37:35 AM »
Based on what I've heard about flying with a kid, I would imagine that most people would try to minimize flights. Instead they are thinking of taking a 2 year old to Mexico?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3444 on: November 24, 2015, 11:43:12 AM »
Not overheard myself, but relayed to me incredulously by SWMBO about a post one of her friends (part-time cow-irker actually) had posted.

The friend posted a GFM asking for money so she and her son can take a trip down to Mexico. Apparently she REALLY wants the son to have the experience of going to Mexico. Said son is now almost 2 years old, and after he's over 2 she can't fly with him for free so she's trying to get people to give her money to pay for them to go before he turns 2.

SWMBO and I are both like, "Wait- he's -TWO-... he's not going to remember a damn thing about the trip at all so there's no real point in him going, this is just her wanting to go to Mexico on vacation and using her son as an excuse (and a poor one) to try and get people to feel sorry for her and pay for the trip for her..."
It's not real Mexico if you're going to a resort full of Americans being served by Mexicans... there's more to the country than stupid resorts.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3445 on: November 24, 2015, 12:05:28 PM »

It's not real Mexico if you're going to a resort full of Americans being served by Mexicans... there's more to the country than stupid resorts.

I encourage you to tell my family that, there's a massive family reunion going on this Christmas at one of the all-inclusive resorts. I know for a giant gathering like a reunion, the resort makes sense, but a bunch of the nuclear families that are going have gushed about how great this resort is, which leads me to reason that they've all been to this place.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3446 on: November 24, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »

I encourage you to tell my family that, there's a massive family reunion going on this Christmas at one of the all-inclusive resorts. I know for a giant gathering like a reunion, the resort makes sense, but a bunch of the nuclear families that are going have gushed about how great this resort is, which leads me to reason that they've all been to this place.

Ha!  I just got back from a Mexican resort.  It was actually really great, but I certainly was disappointed when I realized everything was in English and every place took dollars. 

But don't be so judge mental.  Not everyone is lookin for a cultural experience.  Some people just want to save a little money by taking advantage of the strong dollar.  If I had gone anywhere as nice as this resort in the us, it would be at least twice the cost.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3447 on: December 02, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »
39 year-old friend posted this image and comment on facebook today:  "They forgot the student loans....lol!!!"

*EDIT: I thought she was 35ish, but turns out she's turning 40 on December 6th.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:48:13 AM by LeRainDrop »

fruitfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3448 on: December 02, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »
"If you have any disposable income, or even if you don't, you really really should come see this show [Cirque du Soleil]."

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #3449 on: December 03, 2015, 10:28:19 AM »
Posted by an MLM friend.

I don't allow the price tags to scare me
I allow the price tags to motivate me
#bossbabe