Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 4443717 times)

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #8350 on: May 17, 2020, 08:31:01 AM »
... I also could not wear a watch; within a year the watch would stop and if it was opened up it would be all corroded (and no I wasn't wearing them in the shower). Anyways I finally read an article that I think explained what it is: I walked everywhere, more than the usual person. I probably was building up static electricity that was affecting electronic devices. I don't walk as much now so not as big of a problem.

Wristwatches wouldn't keep time for me.   I set mine on the dresser and for 3 days it kept perfect time.   I picked it up and the second hand stopped, then went backwards for over 20 seconds.   Didn't wear a watch for years after that, it was too spooky.   When I did they still didn't keep time.

About 10 years ago I bought a cheap rubber-covered one and that seemed to do the trick.  Except it was so bulky I couldn't stand to wear it, and now I don't need one.   Cellphones handle it.

My grandfather had the same problem wearing watches.

Weird, eh?

My Mom is a watch killer too.  Takes her a few months on average though.   Doesn't matter how expensive it is, or inexpensive.  Some die after a week, some after a month, but none have lasted more that 6 months.   Repairs on the expensive ones have been attempted, but never successfully.  She started saving the dead ones just for fun - when she got rid of her pile last year, it looked like an entire watch store's inventory.   (She's 90, so there were a lot!).    I will tell her other people are like that too - she thought she was the only one that couldn't wear a watch.   

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8351 on: May 17, 2020, 09:53:19 AM »
...Now that you all mention it, dad did have a weird one a while back. He started complaining that he couldn't pay bills online because his browser would just disappear. My brother and I both assumed he was just doing something silly and accidentally minimizing or something. But he finally showed me what was happening, and sure enough, his whole browser was crashing/exiting when he'd hit Submit on a payment on his bank's web interface1. No warning, no error message or crash dialog, just *poof* it's gone.

Of course it also turned out that he was using Micro$oft's Edge browser, so perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised; switching to Chrome fixed the problem completely. But I had to make a desktop shortcut (ugh) with his bank's name on it so he'd remember to use that instead the Edge icon (which he associated with his bank at that point).

1 and it wasn't even the first time, but rather the second or third time he submitted a payment that it would crash/exit.
Just saw this. I have an account at a bank other than my own, for a specific civic purpose. Sometimes it's active, but typically it's not. In the off periods, when I have to log on, I always forget that I can't use Chrome. For this particular bank, I can only use Edge. Drives me nuts.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8352 on: May 17, 2020, 11:30:23 AM »
You are all clearly haunted.

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8353 on: May 17, 2020, 12:25:23 PM »
So in case other people have the watch problem, my experiences. I would buy the semi cheap analog watches with batteries, metal back (oftentimes timex). When I was wearing watches I ended up going to this kiosk because they changed batteries and they had 2? 5? year warranties on their watches. the watch would stop working, I would bring it in for a battery change, but it still wouldn't work with a new battery, and so I would get a free watch.  Sometimes when they opened the watch the entire inside would be corroded. Maybe because they weren't the owners they seemed more amused by all this than anything, and sometimes have the other person look at the inside of the watch. At some point I became lazy and so when a watch stopped working sometimes I would go to "canteen", and buy a watch (usually timex), Since they didn't have the same warranty soon ended up with a drawer full of non working watches.
This is the weird thing; my problem with watches got better. After I got got pregnant and had kids, my problems with watches and computers practically disappeared. And my sister got me a very expensive watch (Citizen eco drive) and I had no problems with that watch whatsoever (I had it for 3 years but then misplaced it).  I don't wear watches anymore but feel if I did I would probably be fine.
My guesses are static electricity (I would often give people bad shocks), body chemistry, cheap watches or a combination of the three. I do have at least 1 case where a watch which did not work for me, gave it to someone and they wore it with no problems.  Solutions: get a watch that comes with a warranty so that you can simply replace watch as needed, buy a watch that does not need a battery. I also suspect watches with non-metal back may work better (my brother suggested I get this very built up rugged watch with rubber strap to help the situation, but it was too big for me).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:37:01 PM by partgypsy »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8354 on: May 17, 2020, 05:18:33 PM »
The "touch a watch and it stops" reminds me of a sci-fi story**.

Under a crater on the moon, there is a installation where consumer and other tech is tested.

The test is conducted by "abnotech" persons who, a the high end of the scale can cause, mostly by their presence alone, malfunctions not previously seen in that tech.
These are not doofuses or technophobes, just persons with the unfortunate talent to cause malfunctions.  Their testing is required to get a "UL / TUV" style listing.

Their life-support is run remotely 10Km away.  They also test nanotech, leading to the isolated testing facility

** Steven L. Burns, "Down Under Billy Crater" pg 216 Analog January 1995.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8355 on: May 17, 2020, 11:12:53 PM »

Under a crater on the moon, there is a installation where consumer and other tech is tested.

The test is conducted by "abnotech" persons who, a the high end of the scale can cause, mostly by their presence alone, malfunctions not previously seen in that tech.
These are not doofuses or technophobes, just persons with the unfortunate talent to cause malfunctions.  Their testing is required to get a "UL / TUV" style listing.

Their life-support is run remotely 10Km away.  They also test nanotech, leading to the isolated testing facility

Reminds me of the Dresden Files series of books in which magic causes technology to break.  So if you do that... YER A WIZARD

partgypsy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8356 on: May 19, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »

Reminds me of the Dresden Files series of books in which magic causes technology to break.  So if you do that... YER A WIZARD

But if anyone reads Diane Wynne Jones, you know this world has no magic (12b).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 01:45:23 PM by partgypsy »

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8357 on: May 19, 2020, 03:21:00 PM »

But if anyone reads Diane Wynne Jones, you know this world has no magic (12b).

I love her books :)

Now I have to go re-read them.... Luckily, I have a bunch on the shelf.

Feivel2000

• Stubble
« Reply #8358 on: May 20, 2020, 12:11:48 AM »
I guess this is also the place for twitter?
https://mobile.twitter.com/MattBellassai/status/1262793469527044096

been making coffee at home instead of getting starbucks for two months which according to economists shouldíve made me a billionaire by now so what is happening

And thousands of replies.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8359 on: May 20, 2020, 05:13:33 AM »

been making coffee at home instead of getting starbucks for two months which according to economists shouldíve made me a billionaire by now so what is happening

Maybe if I figure out how to make and sell avocado coffee, I could make enough money to buy a house.

Also, does anyone else wonder if it's time to start Overheard on Facebook 2?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8360 on: May 20, 2020, 12:34:25 PM »

Tweets like this, and all its comments, make me weep. Are all people literal idiots?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8361 on: May 20, 2020, 02:40:29 PM »

Tweets like this, and all its comments, make me weep. Are all people literal idiots?

Should not have read that

ďI stopped eating cake but Iím still fat... what gives???Ē

MudPuppy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8362 on: May 20, 2020, 04:07:15 PM »
Are they not being facetious?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8363 on: May 21, 2020, 11:22:55 AM »
Are they not being facetious?

They are, but most of the people posting this are swinging too far in the other direction. Their point is "See? It was always BS that you couldn't get ahead just by making coffee at home and not eating out."

So they're kinda idiots in that the advice was never "you can get ahead by making small changes for a few months", but they're not actually believing they should be billionaires right now.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8364 on: June 11, 2020, 03:16:23 PM »
Saw this post recently on a community group:

Does anyone know where I can get Coldstone Creamery ice cream?! Itís an emergency!

Lots of people chimed in that Coldstone has left China and suggested buying very expensive brands at the local high end grocery store. The response was:

No, it MUST be Coldstone Creamery or something similar. My kids are absolutely demanding Coldstone Creamery.

So then lots of people suggested other high end ice cream shops in town...all the way at the other end of town. One shop was at least a hour away. Average price for a small cup of ice cream? Usd $6.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8365 on: June 11, 2020, 04:23:20 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get Coldstone Creamery ice cream?! Itís an emergency!
an ice cream emergency.....that's a new one.

damn it, now I want ice cream....... :-)

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8366 on: June 11, 2020, 04:28:16 PM »

My husband thinks I bought ice cream while I was out making a purchase for him. Please don't tell him he has it backwards.

economista

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8367 on: June 12, 2020, 08:03:01 AM »

Have you ever been pregnant? Because I think there are likely times that could be considered ice cream emergencies....

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8368 on: June 12, 2020, 08:20:55 AM »

Have you ever been pregnant? Because I think there are likely times that could be considered ice cream emergencies....
I have not.....I hadn't thought of that case....but the OP was calling it an emergency to get it for her kids.

and it was a light hearted poke at what someone was calling an emergency.....just like when someone 'needs' the newest iPhone.....

economista

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8369 on: June 12, 2020, 08:22:54 AM »

I have not.....I hadn't thought of that case....but the OP was calling it an emergency to get it for her kids.

and it was a light hearted poke at what someone was calling an emergency.....just like when someone 'needs' the newest iPhone.....

Oh, I totally get that. I was poking fun too. I didnít think the /s marker was appropriate in this case because it wasnít really sarcasm. Things can get really misunderstood in written form!

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8370 on: June 12, 2020, 08:25:15 AM »

Oh, I totally get that. I was poking fun too. I didnít think the /s marker was appropriate in this case because it wasnít really sarcasm. Things can get really misunderstood in written form!
they really can.   The nuance of facial expressions.